Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4067 days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Godholio posted:

So Logan can almost jump over our 6' privacy fence. Jesus Christ.

I volunteer at a German shepherd rescue that MUST keep some of the dogs in a covered pen to prevent them escaping. One will literally just chill out in a corner of the ceiling around meal time by splaying its legs out to press against/hang off the chain link cover, basically like this:

The others stuck in supermax just hop up and down on their hind legs to see over the 6' solid wood part of the fence.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Godholio posted:

Logan's the same way. He hasn't quite figured out that he can make the jump on his own...I need to take him for more rides. Part of the problem is the back window of the Jeep's soft top is a hassle so I'd usually stuff him under it. I've got the hardtop on now, so I can just open that up and give him plenty of room to get in.

I'm REALLY glad he's gotten out of the habit of trying to sit on my lap while driving.

I had to train my German Shepherd to climb in the car on command by frequent assisted jumps on leash. It sort of worked: she began to weasel her way into the car at every opportunity and passive-aggressively evade my attempts to urge her out.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

But seriously, little dude has some good tail control. Hasn't messed in the house in over a week, absolutely beats up on my mother's dog, and has a habit now of chasing around the younger cat in an odd trot. Need to record that sometime.

I'm pretty sure what you're describing is the classic herding stance. He's not "chasing" the cat, per se. One of my Australian shepherds did the same thing to houseguests (and, in her early years, tended to nip their heels if they wandered away from the main group).

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

evil_bunnY posted:

If they're social, have them meet/play with dogs who like it. They tend to pick it up.

Yeah, this. I had three dogs, one who loved fetching balls and two who loved trying to tackle him once he had it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Fister Roboto posted:

Sorry about your dog bro

This made me a little misty-eyed, although if I think about it a bit I realize it's horseshit. It doesn't take much for a dog to connect the human's movements to the car turning. I got a giggle out of making my last dog fall over in the passenger seat because I would slide my hands on the wheel like I was turning it really fast and she would lean into it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Pesticide20 posted:

I'll help you. Who else is in?

me

-a SOF marine

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

GyverMac posted:

As a former K9 handler, I can testify to the fact that dogges loving love military life. I'd vager if they could speak, they'd tell us that they would much rather be running about utilizing every bit of their senses to the max every day and being rewarded for it, rather than slowly rot away in some suburban home with no challhenges or fun except maybe one 30 minute walk per day. Besides each dog is unique. Whenever a dog didnt respond to training with the right amount of interest, they would be given away to caring families, rather than forced through more training. Only the dogs that loved working would be kept for training.

You monster.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

1stGear posted:

what kind of training does a dog go through to become a sniper

Exactly the same as any other sniper, except the pull-up requirements are relaxed to avoid unfair discrimination.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

If the trend on this page continues, Roscoe was kicked to death by Planes' C.O.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dakota says hello. Sorry for the lovely quality video. Hard to catch the fast little fucker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAtDa_C6qhU

Dakota continues to own bones, and the little puppy-drifting she does on sharp turns is hilarious.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Parents got a new puppy.

He's got that shepherd way of constantly knowing exactly where you are and always meeting your eyes. Very standoffish for a puppy at first, but he warms up to you quickly if you just hold him for a while.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 27, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

wow

so dignity

much regal

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Workpostin'.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

I disagree. If it's stickied, you lazy bastards won't feel obligated to post in it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Mr. Nice! posted:

Looked into it and it was a handful of yosposters from before the thread was moved. Outside of three 1s and a single 2 and 4 this thread is unanimously a 5.

Who would win a war between slovenly pothead welfare queens and slovenly neckbearded Geek SquadŽ wannabes?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Literally Batdog.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Puppy is much bigger, apparently has a new favorite spot.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

BathroomTile posted:

This is my cousin's dog, Astro. He's going to turn 1 on May 5th, and they think he's a Border Collie-Australian Shepard-German Pointer mix.

That's an amazing mix of breeds and one fine looking mutt.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

BathroomTile posted:

This dogge is a good dogge

It's incredible how relaxed I feel just looking at this.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

a good story

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

what

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

This is fake, right?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

people like you are why measles is making a comeback

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

probably not the same dog tbh

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Smiling Jack posted:

Catte to the rescue

What you don't see from this angle is the little thug reaching into his pocket and whipping out a dark metallic object in the direction of innocent bystanders. hero dogge villified by ungrateful public yet again

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Clamps McGraw posted:

The girl I've been seeing has so readily agreed to my tentative plan to structure our lives around having a Newfie that I'm considering marrying her.

I'm with you there.

I broke up with an otherwise lovely woman just because she didn't like dogs. She was perfectly eligible in all respects and I liked her a lot, but when she did a little scared-dance away from a drat golden retriever trying to play with her, I became convinced that she was concealing deeper emotional problems.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Time posted:

Does anyone here know the process involved in getting a dog declared a PTSD comfort dog? The VA website makes it seem like it's as easy as getting a doctor to write a note. I only ask because I'm moving to boston which is not pet friendly.

Are you sure? I was just in Boston and was struck by how many people were walking dogs around there. There was one like every 20 yards around downtown on the weekend.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Christoff posted:

and this is probably reposted 10x but meh

This is the first time I've seen it and it's amazing. Dog must have been seriously traumatized by that door in the past.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

That has to be the best job on earth.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

That dog should have been flying first class

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Cole posted:

My mom had a border collie and lived on half an acre and had to give her away because the back yard wasn't big enough.

My sister and I grew up with two Australian shepherds and a Welsh corgi, all of which are herding dogs with similar buoyant temperaments to border collies. I think pairing kids with energetic dogs in the middle of the woods is the best way to tire both out. Something will spark in their heads and they will take off sprinting in circles for no good reason. I still remember clearly the way the smaller Aussie would get so excited every time the little dry creek on our lot ran, she would achieve such speed that she would clear the good 6-12 foot wide gully on every loop of her traditional sprinting route. The larger one was perfectly happy to wallow sedately in the deeper water and act surprised every time he made a splash with his paw.

Australian shepherds are easily my favorite dog breed to this day, but I can't imagine trying to keep one without a couple of six-year-olds and another dog handy to keep it occupied.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 1, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

an image guaranteed to piss off PI

Cutting up perfectly good dog ears pisses me off too, but that's a quality gif.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Great article on the Iditarod.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/grantland/story/_/id/9175394/out-great-alone

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

chaos hound

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

faces_of_rape.jpg

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Booblord Zagats posted:

Because the Star Trek tag?

You never know what those sick fucks are capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation

Hey now, we only saw the end of that confrontation. For all you know the guy with the dogs could have been a Jew or a cop.

2 sides 2 every story