Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

This dogge lives with me.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

can't stop watching this

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I miss my boxer. The evil bitch got him in the breakup.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Why do you hate dogges N4I?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

That is a good dogge.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjblqE3xHk

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

So what's a good obedience school thing? One where I would be the person teaching him stuff. Petsmart does one. Is it worth anything?

I am saying this completely unironically. Watch the raising a perfect puppy episode of the dog whisperer. That guy knows his poo poo. I took my boxer from being a crackhead to walking downtown Denver without a leash just from watching a bunch of episodes.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

petsmart training is more "train the trainer" style. they'll walk you through it, but it's up to you to keep up with the training. keep that in mind before signing up for anything.

It is also reward based training, which is not ideal. Your dog shouldn't do what you say because he thinks he is getting a treat out of it.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

quote:

Al the guys I know with PTSD after combat were simpletons to begin with. Maybe combat gives them the excuse to stop trying. PTSD sounds like a cushy scapegoat to me.

Can we just kill all the pogs? gently caress it just loving kill everyone.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9R-Wrpd8w8

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

Puppy's first petsmart trip ended up costing me almost $300... No type of vet visit included.

Did you let him pick out the toys?

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xEX-48RHCY

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

I'm sorting my laundry so a lot of it is in the middle of my floor. I went and threw a load in the wash and came back to this

He has a serious laundry fetish.

I'm also compiling pics of him sleeping on his back. I'm up to about ten right now because it's so

That is one loving cute puppy

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

smooches

sleeeeeeepy pup

Cutest puppy ever.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

Monty didn't fall asleep on his back but he did fall asleep like this:

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

I bought my pup a choke chain simply because I'm looking for the way of making his attire mismatch his unbelievably playful personality. If they had one with Duke Nukem blowing away aliens while looking at titties, that's the collar I would've gotten him. I never walk him on anything but the harness (the kind that clips on his chest).

But can I use the choke chain in the following way to help leash train in addition to just walking with him on it?

I've been painting at my aunts house all week in the evenings and taking Monty with me so I can feed him on time and such (obviously keeping him away from the paint fumes). He's a little explorer though. The door to the room I'm painting is glass.

Can I leash him on his choke chain and anchor it to something? Will he eventually learn on his own to not pull on a leash? Or is my best bet a harness that clips on his chest (the theory being it effectively turns him away from whatever he is going after, giving him sort of a punishment for pulling).

Or are puppies too dumb to stop doing something before they hurt themselves?

I guess my basic question is are choke chains more effective at leash training than harnesses, and if so is there an effective way to use it without actually walking him with it.

They are much more effective than harnesses. You position the choke chain at the base of the skull and it stops them from pulling with very little force. Harnesses aren't great because the dog can put all his weight/strength in to pulling.

But tying him up with it won't teach him. Just have him on the leash around the house sometimes. Teach him to stay next to you. A slight tug on the choke collar the SECOND there is unwanted behavior is the best training.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

evil_bunnY posted:

You can get a harness with paw loops that restrict his movement a bit when he pulls. Much, much nicer than a choker.

Chokers, when used properly, are completely humane. They aren't there to actually choke.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

The best.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Genocide Tendency posted:

I've been saying for years. Bulldogs, best dogs.

Counterpoint: Boxers

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

Counter-counterpoint:

Holy gently caress.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

Nothing fancy here, just Monty hanging out.

Holy loving poo poo... That dog.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Just got Frank back from the vet's. He is coping with neutering by giving me the most distrustful looks. Can't say I blame him.

Canine Genital Mutilation. You are a monster.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Tide posted:

Mine is the laziest, most chill and relaxed dog ever. He's good for a few ball tosses, some light wrestling and tug of war. If you want a lounge hound to waste a day with on the couch or bed, he's your dogge.

But he's quirky, for sure. Nuts? Not so much.

Only negative thing I can say about him is tendency to eat and drink really loudly when you want some peace and quiet or something is on the TV you want to watch. Then fart. He does wipe his mouth on my wife as she's walking out the door for work a couple times a week. And he's always on the way. Because he just never moves.

Post pics now! I loving miss my boxer. The crazy ex got him.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Good dogge

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole posted:

A few days ago the neighbor across the street came and asked if I knew who's dog was in her yard. I went to see and there was a female dog sitting in the corner shaking in fear as I approached. So scared she was pissing on herself. I told them I would keep an eye out for the owner. This was total bullshit because this dog was obviously abused so there is no way in hell I'm going to find the owners, laws be damned.

I saw the dog on the street a few times but never was able to get near her because she would run in fear.

Today I didn't take no for an answer. I approached her, braved the growling and showing of teeth and just started petting her. You can feel all her ribs and every vertebrae she has. Her feet also look like this:

I fed her and bathed her and now she won't leave me alone so I guess what I'm saying is hey GiP meet my new dogge Rousey. Named for another bad bitch who takes a beating and keeps on ticking.

She won't leave my shadow since feeding her.

At least she has a good home now.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

holocaust bloopers posted:

All dogges want to be petted; therefore, pet all dogges.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Always on his back

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Cole, post a puppy pic stat. Fister is making me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

He is growing so fast