Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh man now I want to get my pup a comically oversize chew bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

He grabs it just inside one of the knots and runs around with it. I finally took one across the shin a few minutes ago...felt about as great as you'd imagine.
I love how you at some point believed this wouldn't happen.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

drat you petfinder. all those adorable as hell puppies and almost always they're taken when I get the balls up to call. missed out on a border collie pup at a rescue. :(
Don't get a border collie as a first pup.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also luxating patella and deafness.

Retarded "dogs" for retards. When a breed has actually lost the physical ability to reproduce you'd think people would get the loving hint.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 25, 2013

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sky shark posted:

wtf bostons are you people buying that they can't even breed. you sure you aren't confusing them with with those uga style bulldogs? cataracts & cherry eye I've heard about, but drat son
90% of bostons are born through c-section because the pup heads don't fit through the bitches' pelvic canal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When we dogsitted for some friends their mutt he would just lay down at the foot of the bed wih the deepest, loudest sigh when we didn't get up.
Then stand up, walk around for 4 seconds and repeat the procedure until someone paid attention.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I may give that a shot. I usually just chop up a hot dog.
It's what we do and the effect is similar enough.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Then again my dog eats ice.
Rice with boiled, shredded chicken is what we fed ours while she was getting used to non-poo poo kibbles, and she loved that poo poo. She'll eat anything that has a slight hint of meaty odor, but she's a rescue.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Realize I haven't posted my own mutt yet.

Current status: fabulous

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My sample size is tiny, but I've only met marginally friendly chows and adorable, cuddly rotties.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

MrDesaude posted:

Huskies and Malamutes can be territorial, but they have retard strength. Seriously, they were built to pull sleds and carts, I have seen a husky break a tow cable because of 3 months of constantly yanking on it when it was outside. When the cable was replaced the dog simply yanked the fence post concrete footer and all, out of the ground.
That the huskies I know. When I was a teenager we often tried to push or tug-of-war my friend's husky in the pool, and unless you physically lifted him off the ground he'd never lose.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't those tougher kongs guaranteed to last a while? Could try one of those.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

One of my old ones ate soap and a tube of toothpaste when we were out of the house. Not the smartest breed, but drat are they friendly. They just love being around people.
Goldens are awesome for that too.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

really thought about getting a mini-aussie but Frank was up at a rescue and I'd rather take one in that way than wait on a breeder.
Hell yeah, good human

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

Here is Luma some weeks after i picked here up, i had had to say goodbye to my old dog a week earlier and a friend in the police told me about this dog about to be put down since the owner was abusing her. since im a huge softie i broke all my promises to never have a flat-coated retriever or a border collie, and got a mix of them both.
Good dogge, good human.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yes.

Also yes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gordito posted:

Wish my dogs liked playing fetch. They just look at me like I'm weird or something.
If they're social, have them meet/play with dogs who like it. They tend to pick it up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Oh hell yes :toot:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The shibe meme has kind of ruined shibes for me.
such anger

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I'll finally find out how much Logan weighs in a couple of weeks...when he loses his nuts.
Wait can you not carry him onto a scale?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

elite_garbage_man posted:

It was laying in the street, and I didn't recognize what the hell it was until I saw it running away in my side view mirror. Surprised it didn't die because it was a pretty gnarly crunch, so obviously it's a lifter.
Well if you wanted 3rd party confirmation that you're a gigantic rear end in a top hat...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It takes time. If he's still a pup, realize that humans have been beating on him for most of his life.

Don't hold his gaze (challenge), make sure he's spotted you when you want to pet him, and just leave him alone if he's cowering/anxious. I can't stress this enough, I know it sucks but you can't force it. Let him come to you (offer treats!).

If it's any consolation, it will get better: our current rescue wouldn't be near me for weeks, and now she runs to the door all hyper when I come home.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

Keep it down, Roscoe is sleepin

Yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He'll be back to a less annoying version of his normal self in no time.

Also

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah the 2 irish hounds I've dealt with were the laziest when left to their own devices.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Our mutt is also pretty much always on her best behavior. The only thing she doesn't like is getting off the couch to get walked (can't blame the drat thing, it's like -15C now). At the very start she would growl/nip if you got close to her food/bone, but we've worked that out.

Now she'll nibble on my hand when she thinks I'm hiding a treat but in the gentlest way possible, so it's just really funny to see how long we can lead her on.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I can't crate him for 10 hours.
Eh, I know you don't mean ill but a young GSD probably shouldn't be left to his own devices for that long.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya our dog's only freak out was when we trapped her in a single room because we didn't know trained she was when we got her and didn't want her to pee all over e house.

Turned out she was completely disciplined, and super happy once she had the run of the flat.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Awesome dogge, awesome thing you did, hi5

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Frank looks great. Also A+ for getting a rescue.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

dogge

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If they're both on a leash it's quite easy to control the amount of interaction they'll have. Ask people at the park how their dogs behave and allow your pup the appropriate amount of leeway.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just got a new rug. Dogge loves it:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cole posted:

I'm definitely rescuing my dog when I get my own place.
People with pure bred pups are retarded. People who dont spay their dogs are retards. Adopt a loving rescue, they are the loving best.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Right, you're just adding another dog when some are dying to not being adopted. Just get a rescue :(

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

If being stinky, unable to procreate, and ignoring demands to do tricks makes you not a dog then my boxer is not a dog :colbert:
You finally figured it out!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

"Gotcha!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah newfies will take a dive into any body of water given half a chance.