Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Was at my cousin's place and got to spend lots of time with Oliver and Luna, their two Great Pyrenees puppies. They've still got like 20% more growing to do even though they're 100 pounds each already, and they're able to stand up and put their paws on my shoulders. I'm 6'4". They're pure white aside from Oliver's ears which are brown, though the picture doesn't show how while their fur is well.

I'm allergic to them but not really badly, so I endured it. Whenever I'd sneeze they'd both put a paw on me in a "don't worry, I'll protect you" fashion. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I forgot I took a video of Oliver and Luna playing. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRXrSb4giyU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
good faith, good dog

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my old girl I think is finally making her way out. Or maybe she's just slowing down from the onset of winter. But she's probably going blind and a bit senile, and there's something either infection-wise or a tumor that's making her left eye bulge in its socket.

She's 18 years old now, and still surprisingly energetic for her age, she jumped up into the passenger side of the van by herself to go to the vet. surprised me.

here she is when she was, like, 5 or 6 I think, back when she would regularly just leap over the 5-foot-tall fence in the back yard to go gallivanting around the neighborhood and terrorize my neighbor's chickens until I chased her down and literally carried her back home

and her now. she stares off into space sometimes, and is definitely going deaf, but she still sees us and recognizes us, so that's good. I let her out without a leash now even though most of the fence isn't there, because she doesn't really bother escaping anymore. she recently decided to run off though, and went casually trotting...around to the front door, to sit and wait for me to let her inside.

she's a good girl, and I thought I had come to terms with losing her at any moment due to her age, but with her visibly declining, it's really started to hurt. the vet did some bloodwork due to the eye thing and said they've literally never seen such healthy blood in an 18-year-old dog, so that's cool at least. there was a rogue white blood cell in there that they think might point to an infection behind her eye, which I would much prefer to cancer, of course, so we'll probably get her on some antibiotics soon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She was (tagged for those who don't want to read a depressing origin) rescued on a riverbank, when she was a very young puppy, someone had tied her up in a plastic bag and thrown it in a river, it washed ashore before she drowned, someone heard her crying and brought her to a nearby shelter where we eventually adopted her

If ever someone is like "how can someone care more about dogs than people" it's because dogs aren't capable of wilful cruelty like that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh yes as soon as I get home and wake her up to go out, she gets a thorough full head grab ear scritching. If she hasn't gotten up yet she'll lean so hard into my hand as I scratch that she'll fall over onto her side.

I tried putting her thundershirt on to hopefully keep her warmer as it gets colder, so I hope that helps her a bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a bit of a tough but ever-present subject:

I posted about my old girl a couple months back, and her blind eye has since gotten progressively worse and more hosed up, bulging, the lower inner eyelid has been pushed up and out by something, etc. We got a vet appointment and they said that it is like 99% probability a cancerous tumor in her eye socket that is pushing her eye out and inflaming the area(the side of her face), but there is a slight chance it's just an aggressive infection. They prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, and said that if she doesn't improve after a week, that we should absolutely consider euthanizing her because she is in a lot of pain from the inflammation.

It's been a couple days and I don't know if the antibiotics are actually doing anything, but it seems like the painkillers are working much better than the one she had been prescribed before. This morning she actually hopped around a bit while waiting for me to get her a treat, which she hasn't done in like a year. Like, little hop-hop-hops. But I have a question about euthanizing her or not. It's probably some kind of aggressive cancer that is going to kill her eventually since it's right by her brain and if it isn't just straight up a brain tumor it'll probably metastasize into one in short order. But as of right now, she's actually acting pretty normal, basically like she was prior to the eye problem began, and she can even eat relatively normally when she was having trouble chewing before, likely from the inflammation. The rest of her body is fine, her kidneys, liver, bloodwork etc are all aces.

My question is this: if the painkillers are doing their job and she seems to be doing okay besides the ugly malformation of her eye, is it okay to just continue the painkillers, maybe increase the strength over time if necessary, and let her go out on her own, rather than pull the trigger on euthanasia immediately? Before I started her on the painkillers, she wouldn't even get up to greet me when I came home from work, but now she gets up and is ready to go out to piddle right away.

As well, I'm not completely averse to euthanasia, if she becomes crippled by the growth or something happens to her cognitive functions, I would absolutely do it to save her the suffering. My other dog that was with her developed severe dementia and didn't even recognize her own bed at a certain point, and so I was able to make the decision a lot easier since, well, I felt like she had already "died", in that her brain just was completely gone at that point, she didn't recognize anything and so was in a near-constant state of terror of the unknown. But Rosie, she's still sharp as a tack despite being over 18 years old, it's just physical frailty and this eye thing that's slowing her down, so if she can continue on while on painkillers, I would like to do so if possible.

It's tough. She was my sister's dog, and when my sister was murdered, she became our dog, so I've got an especially powerful connection with her. If she goes out in her sleep, I'd be bummed the gently caress out of course, but I've come to terms with losing her eventually for the most part, and don't think it'd weigh on me nearly as much as actively making the choice myself. Cowardly, maybe, but also, if she's able to continue on largely okay on painkillers, as long as they're not inhibiting her daily life, I'd like to let her continue on for at least a little while longer.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jan 21, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
it's even more difficult because I'm not allowed to see the vet. they take the pet inside and you sit in the car waiting until they call you and talk to you about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, the vet said that she's doing much better in terms of activity and attitude, but that if her eye continues to deteriorate like it is due to the pressure from the growth somewhere in her eye socket, that the eyeball will likely eventually rupture and basically that's a "That's All, Folks" scenario. She estimated we've only got a couple weeks, maybe less, with her before then, if the growth continues unabated. So at least I get a bit more time with her while she's in higher spirits before the end. Sucks they can't just get the eyeball out since it's toast anyways, but apparently that's way more involved surgery than I thought it would be so I guess there's nothing that can be done except spending time with her until the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sirius Jayne posted:

I'm so sorry for your pain, and i'm just echoing the other wise words i've read here about this, in the hopes that it helps you. Our dogs are so much a part of our lives and while i don't know your situation i'm going to say i'm GLAD that there's a pandemic going on, and you may have the opportunity to spend more time with them than otherwise might be possible. Love on her and enjoy her and maybe there's some comfort in the image of her and your sister's spirits re-united in some way. Whatever you believe happens next, I think, there's some solace in knowing that you took her when she needed a home, you loved her and you've bonded, and you'll know when it's time, she may well tell you. dammit now i'm crying and gotta go hug my dogs. I have a friend who does some pretty awesome portraits from pictures. If you'd like to see about one DM me and I'll make sure that happens for you.
Thank you for the kind words. Unfortunately, she has begun deteriorating rapidly, and no longer immediately recognizes mom. she still recognizes me because I interact with her multiple times a day, but she sometimes just stares blankly at mom. Her eye is getting much worse, and there was a moment when I let her out(I never put her on the chain when she goes out since she rarely wanders off when I'm standing there) and she did this weird thing where she just kinda stared off aimlessly and began walking. It almost felt like she was ready to walk off into the night and die in the cold. She eventually came back inside(I was getting my shoes on to go out after her) but it felt really telling. It wasn't her normal "she knows she's not supposed to do this and does it anyways", it was a "I don't think she is aware of where she is anymore, but came to her senses after a bit" sense. The tumor is likely pressing on her brain, or growing into it, and causing her to forget things a lot. So I think it's time, and I think she knows too. Also, despite being perky after taking her painkillers with her ears at attention and wagging her tail, her head slowly droops down, a little at a time, as she stands there. It's so sad. I love her so, but it's time. We have an appointment on thursday for a checkup, but I think we're going to change it to send her off instead. It's the vet who has tended to her for over a decade now, so I want her to be the one to give her the euthanasia, like she did for our other dog.

I'm gonna be a mess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I've had dogs previously who were put down, I won't swear off getting another dog but I won't be getting another right away or anything. It'll probably be a couple months, unless we stumble upon a perfect dog to adopt by accident.

She's just a confluence of special circumstances that is making it especially painful.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm sorry to bring the thread down so much, but I wanted to ask, what is a good last meal for my girl? For my previous dog we took and got him a whole bunch of fast food and he wolfed that poo poo down of course. But she's only able to eat soft things slowly right now because of the impeding of her jaw muscles. Would some ground beef and cheese be good? Taco meat maybe?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She can't fully chew things anymore really, we've had to soggify her food so she can just kinda mush it up, so I'm thinking a heaping helping of cheeseburger(just burgers, no buns) would be up her alley, she can nibble those into nothing.

Thank you all for the kind words, suggestions, and experiences. She's my wonderful girl and I'm already a sobbing mess, but I'll at least be able to be there with her for the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rosie, a very dog name.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a good dog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
She's gone. Thank you all who lent a helping hand in providing info and tolerating my fairly bad feels posts these last few weeks. I was a mess beforehand but I'm strangely calm after the fact, but I think it'll set in over the next few days when I go downstairs and her nesting area is empty, the gates are down, and there's nobody to greet me(though recently she kinda slept through everything anyways).

I'm a bit unhappy about the actual event itself, they applied a sedative, prior to the euthanasia, and said it would take about 5 minutes to take effect. But she was out literally seconds after the sedative was injected, basically ragdolled immediately in my arms. That she is no longer in pain, is okay with me. That she is no longer with us, isn't so much.

I'm going to miss my special girl. I asked her to go find my sister before she passed. If there's something after this, hopefully she does.

I kind of did it on the spur of the moment, but I took a picture of her body, laying there. I don't know why, but I did. I think I felt like I needed one last photo, since I have pictures of her when she was a tiny puppy, to also have one final picture of her, gone. The vet said that a surprising amount of people feel the need to take a final photo. I want to dig out the old photo albums, since the puppy photos are mostly polaroids and such, to make a timeline of her life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
we have been trying with zero success for 3 weeks now to adopt a dog(preferably two). Petfinder etc put dogs up for adoption and they're gone within hours, and lots of places won't adopt to massachusetts because of some quarantine law or some poo poo that they don't want to bother with. We've applied for so many dogs and gotten nowhere, and it's really disheartening to miss out on so many great dogs, as well as the sheer volume of profiles of dogs that are like "my owner died and I was left at the side of the road" or "I was found with multiple bullet wounds as a stray" or one bonded pair that was an 11-month-old and a 4-year old where the 4-year-old was barking at passing cars so someone would come rescue the 11-month-old who had been taped up inside a box in a ravine on the side of the road. Those stories are way too common and so goddamn sad. good that they're finding homes but man filling out extremely detailed application after extremely detailed application and only getting a handful of replies, if that, is a real bummer.

And forget trying to go down to the local shelter because covid of course, and trying to apply for "meet and greets" has also led nowhere. Apparently, according to one group we spoke to, there are record levels of people trying to adopt dogs right now due to loneliness from covid quarantine and such, so this naturally is the worst time for us to try to adopt a dog. There's one that we got a reply for who's a black lab in new york who looks absolutely amazing, but I don't know if we'll get him. If we do, that would be wonderful, he's got the most happy-but-chill look on his face.

I just don't know if there's anything more we can do other than watch for new arrivals and try and apply for them immediately, since we can't just waltz down to the local shelter like we did when we got rosie, mom and my sister literally walked in, saw her, applied, and walked out with her. Things have changed quite a bit in the intervening almost-two-decades, I guess. Again, it's a good thing for the dogs, vetting every potential adopter and such, but it also makes the process positively glacial.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
has there ever been a story of a cat doing this? unlikely. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he absolutely saw it as a weird tennis ball

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

boop the snoot posted:

My dog is shaped like a potato.

A pup-tato, if you will.
I've heard of cropped ears but this is ridiculous!!!

he looks like a dog danny devito.

doggy devito.

doggy devidog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh boy oh boy oh boy we've actually been admitted to potentially be able to adopt a dog, it's been over two months now since we've started looking, and the one we might get is this sweetheart adult lab mix, I hope they accept us!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
D O G G O A C Q U I R E D

With mom when we went to pick her up. She's a chonker, gonna have to work with her on that, but she can still book it! She is such a love, we are so lucky to have gotten her!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm really really happy to hear you got her! I've been following your posts here and in the "why was your day awesome" thread and goddamn do you deserve some good news with the hardships you plow through.

Thanks! She's wonderful already. Current status: sound asleep and snoring in the back of the van where the removed seats were.

Though she has gotten up a couple times to the sound of my bag of pretzels, despite my best efforts to be silent.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dog home. dog happy. Dog inhaling a non-rawhide rawhide.

She has developed a significant attachment to me, she keeps just walking up and resting her head on me. I love her

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
uh oh. there's one thing her profile and foster family neglected to inform us of.

she's a professional stair climber. I was letting her tour the house and get a feel for things, I went to pick something up, turned around, and she'd silently gotten halfway up the stairs in like 5 seconds.

guess I'll be building a hinged, magnetized locking gate at the bottom of the stairs to prevent her from getting to the second floor.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Erhh, just about all dogs can climb stairs.

mrmcd posted:

Most dogs can go up stairs. :confused:
I was joking, I know dogs can climb stairs. but she, uh, is really, really fast especially for her size. practically ran up the stairs in no time at all, and kept trying to go up the stairs until I put a temporary gate across it.

She is a wonderful dog, but the upstairs is a no dog zone. There's pocket pets that would get freaked the gently caress out by a dog in the vicinity, and nothing is "dogproofed" up there, lots of fragile stuff etc. Having free reign of the first floor should be plenty when she's inside.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I guess we know who owns the place now.

devmd01 posted:

there was a freak cold snap and snow storm today, so I took Pongo and my oldest kid out on a run while it was still coming down. Cold and wet but definitely beautiful.
what do you use for your pictures? they're awesome. I'm using my ancient phone's camera which usually can take decent photos but not when it's dogs apparently

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When mom went to bed, she followed and jumped up on the bed with her and curled up in a ball, despite apparently not doing that at her foster place. It's like she was meant to be here. I'm so happy we were able to get her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Jehde posted:

Welcome new doggo!

Does her chonkness have a name yet?
her name is Nibbles. She barely responds to it though, and I don't like it because it's not something I can belt out to call her back or stop her from, say, trying to go after a pigeon in my neighbor's yard(this just happened, she has severe bird-chasing tendencies looks like). I was initially thinking "Casey" for a name, but after taking her for a walk and seeing her first time peeing, I think the name "Noah" is appropriate because while she rarely has to go to the bathroom, when she does, it is essentially a Great Flood. She did not pee from when we picked her up, through the entire car ride, then went to sleep when we got home and didn't have to go until nighttime, nearly 10 hours later. but when she did have to, she peed for a full goddamn minute.

also despite being a porker she's INSANELY strong. I'm 230lbs and in good shape, and she, when she really wants something(the aforementioned pigeon), can really put up a fight against the leash. I think I'll have to use the Gentle Leader unfortunately, but hopefully that fixes the issue.

She can look in basically any direction, as dogs can, but she prefers to barely move her head in a way that she can glance at you and then seriously side-eye you. it's hilarious

she slept by mom's side the entire night, didn't bother her at all or need to go out, just curled up in a ball next to her and laid her head on a pillow nearby. what a good dog.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I was thinking we would go with Noah for Nibbles's new name, but mom doesn't like it(because "but that's a boy's name!"). She gave me a list of names she came up with that she likes, but I still want to call her Noah, it started out as a joke but honestly it fits and she just kinda "feels" like a Noah. She even already responds to it when I call it out.

Have you ever had disagreements on what to name a dog, and if so, how did you come to an agreement?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Rosie, rose, dip, sweetie, shithead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gentle Leader trip report: Noa hates it so so much and tries to get it off constantly, occasionally succeeding thanks to her impressively rubbery schnoz, and the moment she got it off her nose she booked it for a squirrel and pulled really hard on the leash itself now that she was unrestrained. Second try I tightened it as much as reasonably possible, but she still almost got it off. that said, it works exactly as intended, even if she hates it for now, so hopefully she gets used to it.

also I am unsure how one creature can poop so much. she shits like a horse, pooping like 2 pounds and then right after I took her for a walk around the neighborhood to get some exercise and halfway through she pooped another 2 pounds. I guess if this means she sheds all that extra weight quicker I'm all for it but man that's a lotta poop, my previous dog who was 2/3 her size pooped maybe a third as much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
pongo looks like the happiest motherfucker alive :3:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

did your mom finally give in when you told her well ackshully there's a girl form of noah? :haw:
no she gave me a second sticky note list of names to pick from instead

the dog already semi-responds to Noa but mom insists on naming her Buzzer or Licorice or Sunshine or Mabel or something.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You...you're joking, right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hi if you didn't actually abandon your dog then don't loving joke about it you stupid shithead, that poo poo has been happening a depressing amount and I've rescued multiple dogs from such instances so it's really really loving depressing and infuriating, don't even joke about it. gently caress you.

like an ex-friend of mine had to suddenly give up their cat because they became homeless and didn't even consult with anyone or ask for help beforehand or ask anyone to adopt them, just kinda left them in a box with "please give me a good home" on it, and this is someone who loved her cat more than anything else, so this is absolutely a thing that happens a lot. especially now during covid(Noa is straight up from a family who lost their home because covid resulted in everyone in the house losing their jobs, so they gave her to a rescue to hopefully find a home) and is 100% a thing you should never even joke about, it straight up brings up traumatic memories in some people

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FrozenVent posted:

If you think Boop the Snoot would ever abandon Monty, you haven’t been around very long.

Also Monty constantly starving is like GIP’s oldest surviving in-joke.
yeah I've seen him posting Monty for a while now. but expecting someone to have encyclopedic knowledge of a thread's posters and their situations is stupid, and making jokes about pet abandonment is also incredibly lovely and tactless, especially since there are many many instances of people who love their pets more than life itself making decisions like that on the spot because they feel they can't do it anymore.

Just don't make jokes like that. It's not that hard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
that is such a good angle lol, I almost didn't see the squirrel.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo this is the best ever

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Turns out the Gentle Leader is really great and fantastic until your dog sees something they ABSOLUTELY WANT.

drat thing literally exploded off her head with an audible "POW" as the plastic latches blasted apart. luckily she just wanted to sniff another dog's butt, but I'm definitely going to be upgrading my gentle leader to have metal clasps, not plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think it's a simple fix. The latch that you put up around their neck is a very basic plastic click-in-place/squeeze to open latch, I'm going to remove it and put on a two-headed...one of those bits you put at the end of a chain that has a sliding bit you easily slide down with your thumb to open it, one of those instead of the small plastic latch. I think that should be more than enough of an upgrade for Noa or your dog, and should be easy enough to assemble, just cut the plastic bits off and loop those two ends into the metal latch.

One of these things, but with latches on both sides: https://www.lowes.com/pd/National-Hardware-N100-344-V3004-1-1-4-in-x-4-1-4-in-Bolt-Snap-in-Nickel/1002257222