Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a bunch of Noa pictures, I am terrible at taking pictures and she is the type of dog who absolutely will not let you get a clear shot of her unless you're holding a treat or the camera happens to miraculously focus while she thrashes about but here are what good ones and video clips I could get

treat bribery in exchange for flapping ear flying dog head pictures

writhing around on her blanket and not wanting to deal with my camera bullshit

post-writhing video
https://i.imgur.com/Ho7zzIy.mp4

oh yeah, and this is how she eats. just flops down on the ground and shoves her face in her bowl. she will not eat unless she can do this, and will drag her food bowl to a space where she can properly flop

https://i.imgur.com/ydn2IaU.mp4

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
once, this chair belonged to the people. but now, it belongs to the dog.

she has three favorite spots in the house. that chair, on the bed either curled up or sticking her head behind the shade to look out the window, or sitting on the chair in the dining room to watch out the window and bark at literally anything that moves

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
went for a walk in the woods. there was a massive downed tree in a creek, and she wanted to investigate. apologies for the terrible photos

sniffin' the skunk cabbages

getting right up in there in the creek

got home and conked right the gently caress out on her blanket

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
going out to do a bunch of stuff, watching out the passenger seat window

first trip to petco was...hectic, lotta pee on the floor in multiple spots which set her off, and a puppy who wanted to play but since she was three times his size that wasn't happening and she didn't like that. Bought lots of treats, toys, a pooper scooper, some food(blue buffalo was recommended) and a bunch of different balls to throw

then we went to an enclosed tennis court to use all the newly-purchased bouncy balls and tennis balls and she ran around for an hour, quickly losing interest in playing fetch but very interested in sniffing the entire perimeter of the area multiple times and occasionally sprinting back and forth. I forgot my phone in the car so no pictures, but it was fairly uneventful. lots of ticks, but they were easily disposed of, turns out a tennis court is perfectly designed to grind ticks into paste under a boot. I wish ticks went extinct

on the way home, curled up in the passenger seat sound asleep

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Very accurate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You (and other dog owners) might want to get the medicine pair of Heart Gard and Nexgard. The Heartgrd protects against heartworm infection, and the Nexgard protects against ticks and fleas (they bite the dog and die rapidly). Worth every cent for Gulliver.
Yep, she is already treated for all of those. In fact there were some ticks I missed while checking her on her blanket, curled up and dead. I just don't want them to, say, get off her and make their way to mom or me, eugh.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
turkey encounter(audio on)

https://i.imgur.com/4vX6RDS.mp4

and puppy-dog eyes sitting in her chair, wanting a treat but not wanting to get up to get it
https://i.imgur.com/rOij0XP.mp4

I love that this chair went from mom's favorite chair, "be careful in that chair I don't want it to be dinged up or damaged in any way, take extra special care with it" to "guess it's the dog's chair now"

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 12, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rexxed posted:

I laughed pretty hard at the tree turkey. Good post, good dog, and a good announcer voice.
I was trying to get a better shot of it but Noa was wrapping the leash around my legs in an attempt to AT-AT me because she was so excited by the turkeys everywhere, hence the wobbliness at the end there

we went for a walk to get away from the turkeys in the area only to run into two more flocks down the road. luckily they're not interested in tangoing with a 100lb dog, even though they routinely pick fights with cars in the neighborhood

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this is ALL Noa does

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dog status: meticulously picking out the blueberries and celery that have been mixed into her food in order to help her be a bit more regular, and spitting them all over the floor

next attempt: soaking the celery in watery peanut butter to give them a bit of flavor, saving the blueberries for an after food snack

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
"No, I will not let you continue changing the sheets on the bed"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IwClAEid4I

I love how he keeps looking like "who, me?" whenever the prairie dog turns around.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unmute
https://i.imgur.com/EvZNZ1L.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Took Noa to the vet because she's been having this slight head-wobble when she wakes up every once in a while, just slightly jittering her head side to side for 10-20 seconds, and they think she might be having minor seizures, but aren't sure what's causing them if they are. They told us to monitor her and let them know if it gets worse. :(

she's perfectly normal and happy outside of that, and she's lost 10 pounds since we got her, so she's doing much better in that department, but I'm worried about if she's having seizures.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

More shepherds, more better. I approve. Hi, Cam!
the vet said that Noa is likely a Lab/Shepherd mix, so I concur.

Hi Cam!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the most interested in anything she has ever been

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Noa was too antsy to get her nails clipped last time we were at the vet, so they prescribed some sedatives so she could safely have her nails clipped next time(today). but they sedatives make her almost straight up drunk, she is wobbly as hell, and can barely stand up. don't think we'll be doing that again. I'd rather wrestle her to the ground and hold her in place while someone clips them than her hopping up in her chair only to fall off it(or not be able to get up in it to begin with), or lay down like a corpse because she's so out of it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
got a picture of a sleepy Noa finally.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, noah is decidedly unenthused about being outside for longer than bathroom time in the summer. she's got really thick black fur and gets hot super easily, so she would much rather spend time in front of the fan on mom's bed, making a mess of her pillows and blankets.

she will do zoomies in the house for 3 or 4 loops and then realize she hosed up and go sit in the bedroom with the AC because it's 90+ degrees and humid lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
definitely the looks of a pair about to go cause some real trouble for mom and/or dad

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah, noah knows when I'm going to work because that's when I put on the steel toe boots and she tries to get in my way when I'm putting them on, shoving her head in my face to stop me. I often have to have mom hold her collar while I put my boots on or distract her with a treat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

devmd01 posted:

Pongo stayed with some friends and their dogs over the weekend; he was an extremely good boy and had a great time. Definitely had to reward him today with some good play time.

I'm sure you've been asked before, but where do you live with all these idyllic creeks? I would love to take Noa to one like it but all the waters around here are...much deeper and more rapid.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmg-iw7n94o

Lando helped me with my latest dogumentary- taking a picture every time he got a treat from local businesses that leave them out for underfed dogs like him. As you can imagine, he hopes there's going to be a prequel/sequel trilogy.
a very touching, moving short film. really gives you a lot to think about. my favorite part of the movie was at :28 when he got a treat

certified fresh rating from me, for sure.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SerthVarnee posted:

So I've been looking to adopt a dog to keep my current one company. While this guy didn't fit the criteria to be an option for me, I just wanted to show you his majestic ears anyways.

https://hundarutanhem.se/hundar/arys-0430/

Just look at those ears... :allears:
is that natural? what the hell lol

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Noah is such a good girl that she managed to make it 3 and a half months without a single "bad dog" uttered. until today. today she jumped up on the counter and devoured an entire container of fried rice that had just been ordered, part of the carton and all. stealthily, never even heard her. She's always been good about that sort of thing until now.

she's a big dog, so hopefully it won't hurt her, it was an entire carton of the stuff, there's onions and such in there but probably not enough to do much to an 80lb dog. gonna keep an eye on her to see if she throws the whole thing up or not.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
at 3AM, Noah abruptly woke up, started barking her head off, and was so load she scared a skunk outside which promptly sprayed right outside the window, making the entire house absolutely reek

typical dog things

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
a pyrrhic victory at best

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol, right in the eye

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he needs to find homes for them by tomorrow night according to a post of his, and he's just giving them away, I don't think he really knows what he's doing and I hope someone managed to get through to him to help him find real homes for them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just wanna thank you for giving pongo his best life

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
took Noa out to pee before bed, and something came at us from the forest. definitely not a squirrel, squirrels don't move quickly and loudly through the leaf litter and branches towards an 80lb dog and human like that. Noa's hair went up all down her back and she started growling loudly, and I bellowed a warning as she barked, which was evidently more than enough as whatever it was turned around and booked it back into the woods. Couldn't see it in the dark, but based on the sound it was making and the snapping of branches/sticks, it had to be at least dog-sized. I know we have coyotes around here, so I'm hoping it was that and not a bear because a bear would be A Problem if there's one hanging out in such a small forest and crowded neighborhood here.

But this absolutely makes me think Noa has some German Shepherd in her, with the way she went into defensive mode, totally reminds me of how german shepherds are when they're ready to fight. She got lots of pets and treats for being such a good alert doggo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
outside boston, so unfortunately(?) not an armadillo

maybe a porcupine lol, we definitely have them here and they are clumsy fuckers who also trundle blindly ahead until diverted somehow

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is blue buffalo bad for dogs? It seems like it's done Noa good but a coworker said his vet steered him away from getting it, saying it's not good for a dog's heart. I've never heard that before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
boop the snoot you sunuvabitch you better have TONS of pics and videos of monty when you come back, you hear me?! :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My stepdad died yesterday. He simply went to sleep and never woke up. It's a horrible situation, but one thing that has helped things immensely was coming back home and having Noa waiting for us. She knew immediately something was wrong. She instantly stuck to mom like glue, and hasn't left us alone since yesterday. she's such an amazing girl. I don't know of any other pets that do this. I feel like cats do it momentarily and then go back to being a cat. But dogs immediately know what's up and stay with you through it, trying their best to cheer you up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have to wonder if we emit some kind of scent when we're in extreme distress, that dogs can easily sense. because mom was joking and smiling but was clearly in denial, and noa saw right through it and wouldn't leave her alone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I have not posted Noa in a while. this is not because I don't want to, but because she does not want to be photographed if she can help it and will not sit still for pictures unless she is asleep or distracted or just too drat lazy to move away.

so here are the scant few pictures I or mom have been able to get of her in the last few months

we just moved a bunch of furniture in the living room, so now the couch is by the window. this is very exciting for dog. she can now watch the squirrels much more easily.

you bet she tried to perch on the arm of the couch, and nearly fell off because of course, she's a giant 80lb dog.

she completely obliterated both of the curtains in mom's bedroom because she wants to look out the windows, so the only solution we had for the moment was to duct tape boxes to the windows to prevent her from getting to them because she tries her best to stand on the 1-inch-wide windowsills. we're going to get a solution hopefully tomorrow, one that she can't tear down super easily. but here is her in bed, photos taken by mom. as you can see from the last picture, she LOVES to side-eye people. she will look at you directly sometimes, but more often than not, she'll look off to the side, then look at you without turning her head.

I managed to sneak down and catch her sleeping snuggled up with mom once.

and of course, here she is conked out in her favorite chair.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
question, how do I get noa to go to the bathroom in a new location? I've been taking her to the spot she chose when we first got her all this time, and it's been great, it's in the woods and away from everything. but with the snow coming, I want to get her used to going to the bathroom somewhere closer to the house so I don't have to clear a path all the way to the forest. all of my previous dogs have been very "go wherever they feel like it" while outside but noa is EXTREMELY picky about her bathroom spots and absolutely refuses to go anywhere that isn't her regular spot or random places on walks in the neighborhood.

I've been using the pooper scooper to pick up clumps of peed-upon leaves in her usual spot and transferring them to a location closer to the house to make it smell more familiar, but it has been ineffective so far. Should I keep doing this and hope she gets used to it, or is there a better method?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

movax posted:

Instructions / wavelength unclear, please advise

well hot dog!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FrozenVent posted:

Amazon. I got it to find the cold spots in the insulation in my house. Then I found out the insulation is basically wishful thinking and asbestos.

The angle matters a lot, so a dog’s paw from the top is cold on the FLIR because the fur keeps the warmth in. Kiki’s short haired af so she shows up as super hot except her sweater.

And their noses are always cold because dogs.
can you link the sensor you got? Might be useful for me.