Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

mcbexx posted:

Check the video :)

Edit:
Went back to the shelter today to put in a reservation for Elliot until I could try and sort things out with my employer and landlord on monday.

The young couple who was also interested will pick him up on Thursday.

Boy, do I feel lovely right now.

A dog's life is getting saved man. There are a million other dogs out there that need saving and every one of them has some dumb goofy unique thing about them that will tug at the heart strings.

If you can get in contact, ask the couple if it would be possible for you to come over for visits every now and then.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pharnakes posted:

Anyone else's dogs throwing a massive shitfit tonight because dinner is 1 HOUR LATE?

Mine is currently lying in the middle of my bed on his side, franticly paddling so he spins in circles whilst snarling, growling, barking and frantically champing on an old sock. This has been going on with minor variations for 40 minutes. It's still 23:50 till dinner time. :shittydog:

E: ohh, and farting too. I think the shock has lead to a total breakdown of bodily functions.

Monty throws massive shitfits at 5:55pm every night. Dinner time is 6pm.

Not massive like your pup though.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Handsome fellow.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

We learned something new! He hates when I make him do this if you can't tell.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Reward the poo poo out of him each and every single you take him out and he goes potty. Whether it is 5pm in the evening or 3am in the morning and you're hammered drunk and just want to go pass out. Treat him like taking a piss was the dogge version of winning the lotto, give him a treat when you go back in, and make him believe he just did the greatest thing a living being can do. After a while he will want to go out and pee for a reward rather than because you want him to go pee.

Then he will think "if I pee outside I will get a treat and I gotta pee right now so I better let Christoff know!"

If you think you are rewarding him enough right now, reward him some more anyway.

Also every time he messes in the house, take him outside immediately and stand there for a few minutes. Odds are if he messed in the house he won't have to go anymore, but he still needs to make the connection that peeing and pooping are outside activities. This only works if you catch him in the act though.

Also don't get angry with him if it is your fault that he messed in the house (like if for some reason you are gone for a prolonged period of time; it isn't his fault he can't go out, so don't punish him simply because he can't operate a toilet). And if you don't catch him, don't punish him unless you are 100000000% certain he JUST did it within the last minute or so. If you punish him after the fact he will have no idea what he is being punished for and you won't help anything.

Cole fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 22, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Also if I know Monty has to go poop (I'm pretty on top of his schedule) and he doesn't, I'll put him in the laundry room. The amount of room he has in there is just a little bit bigger than his crate so it takes the need of a crate away. I put his pillow and blanket in there with him to lay on, turn the light on and shut the door. I'll wait about 15-20 minutes and take him out again. Rinse and repeat until he goes, and then I let him stay out.

You need to be pretty in sync with his potty habits for this to work, and you need to have the willpower to leave your dog in a crate while you're in the house (something that took me a while to find; why would I crate my bff when I'm in the house???).

Also maintain a strict STRICT schedule. We do the exact same thing every day.

7am: wake up, let him out to pee and breakfast immediately after he comes inside. It doesn't matter what I do the night before or how late I want to sleep in. I am ALWAYS up at 7am to feed him because on Wednesdays I leave the house at 730am and I want him to eat breakfast at the same time every day because schedule schedule schedule schedule.

715am: let him out again to poop.

Then I usually leave to get the say started. Then I let him out immediately as soon as I get home from anywhere.

Then 7pm dinner, then 9pm nightly poop.

Schedules really help, probably more than everything.

Cole fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 22, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Tide posted:

Fourteen and a half hours without a doggie pic? Unfuckingacceptable

Need dogge updates stat

dat look when bae gets clingy

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

mattfl posted:

Here is he holding court with them. Everyday when I get home from work he brings a new one too me as I'm walking in the door, it's so funny.

I think it is adorable when dogges always have to bring you something to show off. Monty does it all the time. He just HAS to have something for me. Even though he won't let me touch it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

ElMaligno posted:

"This ice on the ground is loving bullshite coleman" - Monty, probably.

This is the first frost I've seen like this and I was thinking the same thing after I let him out.

Time to break out the booties again!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i still see monty as a pup and people tell me they think he is a big dog. i don't really think so but i get reminded that he is a big dog because of how big the shits are that he takes. i feel like there is too much poo poo there for a dog his size. i am tempted to see if he might have a problem where his body is literally full of poo poo.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Nice! posted:

What are you feeding him?

Blue WIlderness. 2 cups a day (which is actually under what they recommend, but he is at the perfect weight and maintaining it with 2 cups a day). Chicken flavor usually. He loving loves it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Wasabi the J posted:

I mean, I'm not getting all special snowflakey over my dogs, as they'll gladly chew snotrags from the garbage, but I want to make sure they're being fed something that I could readily eat as an emergency ration.

I don't change Sputnik's and Sophie's food too often, but I stick to this list in general: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/dry/5-star/ and spend about $60 a bag. Lately we've been ordering smaller bags, because while they're slightly less cost effective, sometimes Sput gets picky when the food gets older, even when it's in a sealed container, and we can change up the flavor.

Get your dog food delivered to you. Monty's food is $57 in the store, $54 on Petco.com, and $45 on Amazon.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Weltlich posted:

I pet those dogs and don't even give a gently caress.

pette all TSA dogs.

but don't pette guide dogs.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

This is my laptop background. It speaks to me. That piece of fuzz on the side of his snout is annoying the gently caress out of me though. Like a mustard stain on a tie.

I'm becoming that type of dog owner who prefers to hang out with Monty than hang out with any human. I legit get separation anxiety if I am away from him too long.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

:yayclod:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Monty is part velociraptor hth

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

This dogge is up for adoption for anyone who in the Tampa area.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

If Monty knew English, he would probably have some very colorful words for me for doing this.

Discipline is a cruel mistress.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Ropes are good but careful about the pup eating frays. Monty will have a rope for a while and then one day it will suddenly look like he was picking at the individual strands for a while, and he will eat them.

I give him Kong toys (especially ones that squeak). He's only destroyed a couple.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

There are Monty's longest lasting toys (going on about six months for both!). The green one has become his favorite recently. The purple one has a slot that you can put treats into.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Somebody is in the spirit.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

is it just me or does Monty look like he could hit about 350 on bench?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Also I don't think bringing your dog with you places is weird? Maybe it's just a Baltimore thing but people here drag their pets with them everywhere

i would even try to take monty with me if i was having open heart surgery.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
The neighbors have a yorkie. She attacks Monty in the most non-threatening and hilarious way possible, but it still scares the poo poo out of Monty (I think it's the ear piercing yap that gets him freaked out).

They feel bad about their 8 pound bully so they brought Monty a bunch of toys and a few treats today.

They cool.

I got him a $22 3 foot long bone. He'll be busy for a while.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Pics of Monty with the bone!

He isn't opening it until later this evening :ssh:

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Oil! posted:

They are so good, only to show how flawed us humans are.

dogs will hump anything without permission.

now let me ask you, is that a flaw, or an endearing personality trait?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
So Monty's little punk rear end got out and chased a rabbit. Disappeared faster than I knew what happened. Spent 20 minutes looking for him and woke up the neighborhood yelling his name.

You know where I loving found him?

ON MY GODDAMN COUCH.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Guilty dogface.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Thump! posted:

If you didn't pette that dogge then poo poo son.

I stood my ground and managed to stay mad at him for like 17 whole seconds.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
http://m.9gag.com/gag/aZMPYnW?ref=fbp

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i've started buying monty's expensive rear end dog food on amazon because it's almost $10 cheaper than buying it in the store/on the store's website.

just a tip for those who like to buy expensive food for their dog.

Booblord Zagats posted:

My Christmas night almost really sucked. My dog Crackers managed to get in to an entire package of chocolate covered cherries and eat them while my gf and I were "celebrating". We shower and come back out to the living room to pour some bellini's and she notices crackers is in her kennel licking and finds a shitload of wrappers strewn about and her blanket covered in the goo. Since 24 cherry cordials eaten by an 11 pound dog is a recipe for pancreatitis, we had to induce vomiting. We look up to use 5ml's of hydrogen peroxide per 10lbs of dog and measured it out with a rough internet conversion from teaspoons and then had to force it down using a turkey baster because Crackers kept trying to squirm away/gag.

After getting her to swallow it we waited in abject fear for like 20 minutes until she started hurking. While sitting on top of my lap. All over my new offwhite cashmere blend robe my mom had gotten me for Christmas. Those maraschino cherries will stain the ever living gently caress out of anything, let me tell you. Never been happier to be covered in dog barf though. Took Crackers about half an hour to stop puking, luckily my girlfriend had the foresight to throw down some old towels so we didn't have to scrub the tile grout in the living room. After Crackers was done puking we gave her and her sister some 2% milk and a few carrot sticks so she could sleep with something in her tummy because a lot of her dog food came out with the cherries.

Honestly just happy she was already 100% the next morning and it's not like I care if my robe has a small bit of red discoloration near the collar

i have an irrational fear that i have left something out that will kill monty every time i leave the house. or that i left the stove on and i'm going to burn my house down with him inside. glad your pup is okay!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

supporting local ma and pa pet stores is cool tho

yeah i don't care. i would rather save money.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

this is the best "gently caress you got mine" i've ever seen

i present to you, the third installment of "Discipline is a cruel mistress." It started with cheese, because that would stick to his nose and he could move his head a little without it falling off. Then we moved to little dog cookies. Now we are onto this:

Next: Multiple dog cookies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
those pics don't do the video justice