Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

YES. A FINE STICK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Improved your frisbee, boss.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

Do Not Pet vests on the TSA dogs are a downer, my travel mornings would be 1000% with more dogge at the airport.

I pet those dogs and don't even give a gently caress.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

pette all TSA dogs.

but don't pette guide dogs.

Well yes, i let working dogs that are doing work do their job unpetted.

But a working dogge who isn't in the middle of a job? It will get pettes.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Cole posted:

There are Monty's longest lasting toys (going on about six months for both!). The green one has become his favorite recently. The purple one has a slot that you can put treats into.

Those Kong bones with the crunchy-water-bottle plastic in them are a favorite of reggie's. He's not allowed to have squeak toys, so crunch toys scratch that noise making itch.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Reggie says "Let's do this."

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

No time for fun shouldn't his rear end be working

Reggie's had the winter off. I've left the farm I was part owner in and moved the distillery project to a different location. (Federal regulations and financial issues with the farm made it impossible to open the distillery there.) Anyway it means that Reggie won't have any animals to work until later this spring when I get some pigs for my own farmland, and the ducks and chickens come back out from their winter houses.

It's OK though, Reggie is spending the winter teaching his cousin Leopold how to be a good dogge.

Special Dog Wrestling Bonus Video

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo a talking dog

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Naked Bear posted:

Stay safe rig dogge :ohdear:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Catch a wave pupper.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SSG Dogge has 2nd platoon's weapons squad setting the standard.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Skeptical Dog is skeptical.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
You guys want to hang out with the pigs today?

Or just relax watching some birds through the windows?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Stay safe pupper :ohdear:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We postin' cozy dogs?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
travel safe pupper.

Also, have some more chilling dogs:

They were wrasslin' and just collapsed into naps.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
http://i.imgur.com/LuwiowM.mp4

Reposted from another thread because this is a good human helping his doggo.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

WarpedNaba posted:

Holy poo poo, that guy risked fuckin' death for his dog.

(Seriously, don't ever gently caress with Kangaroos)

(Unless they're threatening your dog/kids/maybe spouse)

Seriously. I had someone try to tell me that the kangaroo was posing no danger to the dog. Those things seem to delight in killing dogs whenever they get a chance.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

get paid pupper

I'd buy a newspaper from that dog.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Did a GIS of 'vintage pictures of dogs', found a good vintage dogge to close out the year.

#doggegoals

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jokers Gamble posted:

Yeah, I bought it so when they send me IRR notices trying to get me to join the guard I can wrap myself in it and smile as I toss them in the trash.

Please link where you found this wonderful thing.

And pet dingo.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TBeats posted:

I did not play with Monty this morning when he gave me sadface.

I think he wanted to get even.

looks like he was trying to make a loss edit

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Reggie turned 4 on Wednesday. Happy Birthday Reggie.

Then:

Now:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

get better soon Campbell

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

Tuesday, schmoozeday.

yaaasssss

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A good dog.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sundays are the best when I can just lay in bed all day reading and snuggling dogs.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Yea I should have clarified a bit. I was thinking more about just general indoor things to do when the weather is particularly bad. Obviously rainy walks, potty trips outside at 2 AM, etc., are all things that come with having dogs and I don’t have any problems with that. Indoor zoomies for my 60lb dogs doesn’t really work though. Jade refuses to go outside if it’s raining hard; I actually have to go out with an umbrella and follow her while she pees/poops. Tarkus doesn’t care for rain either but LOVES snow. He’s easier to keep happy when there’s a foot of snow on the ground; he’ll bound around in it all day.

I don't know if you have steps or not, but "step fetch" is a staple around our house. I use the herding commands for it, since Reggie doesn't have any animals to herd at the moment, the ball stands in.

- Sit at the top of the steps.
- Reggie sits beside me.
- I drop the ball down the steps, letting it go "plonk, plonk, plonk" on as many steps as it can on the way down. Reggie has to "Wait".
- When the ball reaches the bottom of the steps, I give him the "Find" command to go downstairs and find and take the ball.
- When he brings it back upstairs, I have him sit, then give me the ball. Then he gets a "That'll do" and a pat.
- Repeat.

It's both physical from going up and down the steps, and it's also mental from having to listen to me instead of just tunnel-visioning on the ball and chasing it.

I HAVE GOOD AIDS posted:

So Lando is apparently part shark because he’s taken to biting my girlfriend and I’s forearms when he wants to play. It’s not aggressive biting, but he’s got some powerful jaws that have left some pretty impressive bruises and scratches on my arms. We’ve tried immediately substituting a toy for tug of war and also going straight to doing obedience training with small treat rewards as a way to calm him down, but these have had mixed results. Even a stern “NO!” just seems to rile him up more.

We’re going to soon arrange to have a trainer visit us at home a few times so we can address this and build a foundation upon which to work before he starts obedience school in January, but until then- any tips so that I can prevent my arms from looking like I’ve got a bad IV heroin habit?

Jumping on the "Ow!" bandwagon. Like people said, you'll feel dumb, but the trick is to ham it up. When Reggie would nip at me, I'd physically recoil and act hurt, not look at him, and if he persisted, I'd leave the room and leave him alone. Since he was doing it for attention, we refused to give him attention when he did it, and after a few weeks he stopped it. That said, he is a heeler, and he has a natural instinct to nip, especially at heels. For that we worked on the "no bite" command, which took a few months. When he'd go in to nip at stock, or another dog, or a kid, we'd say a firm "No bite!" and he'd back off.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

I tell people that I’m 99% sure Monty won’t bite. I will never say 100% because while I have never seen Monty get aggressive with a person, I think any dog can get pushed too far. My neighbors’ have an infant that loves Monty and crawls all over him and rugs at his tail and Monty doesn’t mind. If he doesn’t like it he just moves.

But their infant did the same thing with someone else’s dog and got bit on the arm and they primarily blamed the infant because you can’t go around tugging on every dog’s tail.

I say that because maybe your dog is getting agitated and doesn’t feel safe at day care, but feels very safe and comfortable around you.

I’m probably wrong. I’m not a dog whisperer.

This is pretty much the right approach to take. Our other dog, Chico, was a shelter dog and with 95% of the people he meets he's a chill and loving pet-hound. But for some reason 5% of the people he meets he just decides right off that he does not trust them and won't abide them being in the same room. We've yet to find a certain common thread - but it seems to be mostly heavy-set people with grey hair that he distrusts. So far no attacks or biting, but there's been "close barking." I'm sure there was some incident in his past that triggers this, but it's a mystery to us.

I think it's wise that you always take the approach that your dog will bite people and act accordingly. But for some reason there's people out there that see a dog and just want to immediately be in the dogs face.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Half german shepherd, half husky! I think. I adopted him from a shelter, the vet took a guess, and I heard from someone in a nearby town that there's someone breeding a purebred husky and gsd together!

He's certainly got the husky "I'm too smart and cool for you" down pat, which is both hilarious and adorable, because he'll do anything for treats or bellyrubs.

By the looks of him I'd say he's got some Red Heeler in him. The white flashing is an ACD thing. How big is he?

Also: Reggie is now at Grandma's house after eating too much turkey.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 24, 2017

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

40 lbs, and he's a year and a half old!

That's about right in-line with Reggie. He's full ACD, but he's close in to 50lbs. There's two lineages, one that's smaller and smooth coated, and another that's larger with fluffier fur. The bigger line came from dogs that were imported to the US and bred for work on cattle ranches in the upper midwest and rockies.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Noble and proper.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Found a gif of Reggie trying to convince someone to toss a fakestick, so now you can have the experience in the comfort of your own home.

(He's wet because the best place to toss a fakestick is in the creek.)

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Now sulking with his Sadness Pillow. Poor dog is killing me. I took a few minutes to play in the snow with him and Jade and he just kind of went through the motions. Turned his nose up at a cookie. I don’t think I can foster again, it was rough for all of us. Hopefully he cheers up over the next few days.

Give him lots of pets, for he is a good boy.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Dog care question: Has anyone here ever used one of these instead of a cone of shame?

I saw them for sale and they seem to make sense, but then I wondered why I didn’t see any dog ever wear one, and wondered if there was a catch of some kind.

It depends on how flexible your dog is (which varies by breed) and where the wound in question is. For a bulldog, pug, etc, these work really well, I'm given to understand. For Reggie (an ACD), it worked not at all when he had stitches on his muzzle. He was able to scratch at them with both fore-legs and hind, and had to go back to the cone. I think if it was to protect abdominal stitches (say, post neutering/spaying) then it would probably work pretty well even for a fairly flexible dog.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Reggie and Chico got tacticool vests for the summer hiking/canoeing season. Now I just have to sew up some floatation sponsons to hook onto the molle loops.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

mrmcd posted:

I mean of course. Belly was rubber until human came to collect her (presumably for a hard day's work of ear scritches and eye gazing).

God's work.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The goose-poop greased shoreline of despair is no match for the joy of barking at dumb birds.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Lando feels very strongly about voting.

what a civic dogge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Caught a very fat, tall dog snooping around my barn today. Kind of cute, also not very friendly.