Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Let the dog inside!

I tried! But he (she?) just ran away :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ok so what’s everyone’s stance on bones?

The 90s were absolutely a different time with dog ownership for sure. I had one vet that was vehemently against anything you couldn’t indent with the press of your finger. I mean, our dog’s ate a lot of rib bones growing up sans issue.

It seems as long as they are raw it’s fine, just make sure they’re supervised. But I mean, unless you’re picking up from a butcher or pet store, how often do you have uncooked meat bones lying around?

Raw seems to be the key. Never, never, never give a dog a cooked chicken bone - they splinter like crazy when crunched. Cooked beef and pork bones can splinter, too, but they tend to sheer into "chunkier" fragments, which while still dangerous aren't nearly as dangerous as splintered poultry bones.

Reggie and Chico both love raw chickens' feet. Every couple years I raise a flock of meat birds, and on butchering day, I save all the feet back in a zip-lock bag and freeze them. A frozen chicken's foot on a hot day their favorite thing in the world. We also have a CSA share that occasionally drops beef knuckles on us (intended for soup bone use) but I'll often give them to the dogs instead. Don't do this inside, because it'll literally get beef suet and gore on everything.

Our vet is also a fan of chicken's feet as well, since they're good for tooth health. If the dog really really likes to chew hard things, and you want a nylabone alternative, then deer antlers are a good pick. They generally don't splinter, they just sort of wear down slowly over time, and they last for-loving-ever. We've had the same ones since Reggie was a puppy and they've survived daily gnawings by two dogs.

We had friends visit this weekend with their dogs, and then someone broke out treats and it was a party.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I am really thankful that Timothy and Zipper don't shed.

Reggie just generates tumbleweeds constantly. He's got a triple coat - a coarse overcoat, a straight but soft mid-coat, and a dense, curly soft undercoat. We're still searching for brushes that successfully manage each layer, and he sheds worse after being brushed :|

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Bernie would have won.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I just gave both Reggie and Chico a hug. RIP Louis, even though they keep making new good dogs, it doesn't make losing the old ones any easier.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Need a pupdate on Clara. As an owner of two coyote-looking dogs, this is a constant worry of mine as well.

We got new chicks yesterday, and Reggie was stoked about it. Baby animals are his favorite things in the world, and he gets really protective of them. He spent most of last evening curled up next to the box of baby birds, making a snarling face at Chico every time he walked over to investigate.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chico says, "'Sup."

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is the only thread that I wish had "like" buttons so I could "like" all these dogs.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

pantslesswithwolves posted:

My friend’s dog was so beloved by her neighbors in her small Brooklyn apartment building that she has a memorial to her in the lobby and pictures of her scattered throughout the building.

I met her a few times before she went to the Bridge and can attest that she definitely deserves this memorial, just like all other dogs.

Dogs radiate goodness.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I was going through some old photos today and found one of my friend's late dogg Jack:

Taken before his time by a sudden illness, he was a good floofer and lifelong friends with anyone holding an empanada.

A good boy, and thorough.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Reggie loves a pillow, too.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

The dog's way more entertaining than the actual game.

Why don't we just have televised dogs playing?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

Yo, any hot tips for camping with a dog?????

Small islands are the bees-knees for dog-camping. If you are near a lake that has small islands on it, just load the dog in the canoe with the rest of the gear, and paddle over. Then the dog gets to wander around and explore without a leash.

Reggie, in his sponson-equipped harness, loves canoe camping:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chico also went, but he was generally not as enthusiastic about being in a canoe. He just sort of endured until we landed on the island.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

ElMaligno posted:

Juniper met Olive today, no barking, no fighting, even shared the same bed while eating bones. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

What fine dogs.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

boop the snoot posted:

Here’s a picture of the Montster to hold you all over since I’m probably going to eat a 30 day or a ban from my Kavanaugh toxx.

Oh god which way did you toxx?

I'll miss Monty :(

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

Stay safe thieving pupper :(

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Can someone fill me in on the rainbow bridge?

From the old Norse Eddas, the rainbow bridge Bifrost connects heaven and earth. In popular metaphysics these days, after you die, you cross the Rainbow Bridge and on the other side are all the people you loved in life, including all the pets that went before you. It's pretty eye-rolling happythink - but to be honest it's not any more far-fetched than any other afterlife story and if I got to see all my good dogs again, I'd be pretty stoked about it.

To quote Will Rogers, "If there are no dogs in heaven when I did, then I want to go where they went."

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Any other requests

Australian Cattle Dog

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Good humans.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kanye's next video is looking lit.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

:same:

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Reggie could get used to human style sleeping. I came up to bed to find him snuggled up on my pillow, buried in the covers. First time I’ve ever seen him do that.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Niuniu looks to be a very sweet girl, infirmity nonwithstanding. I had a sheltie with gigantism when I was a kid, and she brings back good memories. Give her pets for me.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

Maybe the best photo I've taken of Pit Pat.

There is a dog very much like Pit Pat that I pass occasionally when driving home in Montpelier VT. Big ears and all.

Last night Reggie hit upon the concept of camouflage. You can't be asked to hop off the bed if no one knows you are on the bed.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/zekkass/status/1155215351501791232

Got a second double dildo for Apollo and he loves them both so much

e: Picture dump!

e2: You will note that the blue dildo is missing an end. That's because we got it in 2017 and Apollo plays with it daily and a few weeks ago he just popped off the end, but the rest of it is intact. We've been monitoring it and will remove it whenever it starts disintegrating. Mom wants to remove it sooner but like, I can't. Look at him.

Those double dongs are great for stick motivated dogs. Reggie had a bad habit of trying to catch any stick tossed and knocked out a front tooth - so we went to the dongs and it's a nice, safe alternative to sticks spinning through the air.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Both these boys love some butt scritches.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
A good day for a good dog.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Chico is skeptical of something.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Currently being applied to head, ears, and butt.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sand burrs are the worst. I remember taking one of those to the tip of my big toe when I was a kid wandering around barefoot near the beach. It's a special sort of pain that I can remember almost 30 years later.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The hardest part of waking up is watching the dogs lounge on the bed, all stretched out and relaxed. "Hey man, just take a day off and lay around with us..."

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sylvia Plath is a poor role model for dogs.

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, someone dumped a husky near work today, in an area popular for dumping unwanted animals. This is the same area one of our maintenance guys saw someone kick a puppy out of their car (which he took home with him that day :) )

She doesn’t have a name, but I think it’ll be Julie. There’s a husky rescue in the area that our intern is going to drop her off at tomorrow.

Poor girl was a bit nippy when we first got to her, but she was starving. I grabbed some dog food from my boss’ office (no idea why she has it there, but whatever) and we coaxed this good girl into our intern’s car. Intern took this good girl to the vet to look for a chip, and there wasn’t one...just a raging thirst (she drank somewhere around a gallon of water).

I don’t have words terrible enough for shitheels that dump dogs in that area. There’s barely any freshwater for miles in any direction, nothing for a dog to really eat, and when they go down to the canals to drink (it’s brackish, but they’ll try it sooner or later), there are good odds of a gator waiting for them. At least we found this girl and got her a second chance :unsmith:

Good job taking in those good dogs. Why on earth would people just dump dogs? At least take them to a shelter directly for gently caress sake.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 27, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Coasterphreak posted:

There's a post on my local Nextdoor about fuckers leaving their dogs outside in the freezing rear end cold. Please don't leave your puppers out in the cold. :(

This this this.

It's been down around -10 overnight here in Vermont the past few evenings, and gently caress anyone who would leave a dog out in that.

Besides when it's that cold out having an extra dog or two in the bed helps keep me from freezing.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

The best ears are the ones you’re scritchin’

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

a bit of a tough but ever-present subject:

I posted about my old girl a couple months back, and her blind eye has since gotten progressively worse and more hosed up, bulging, the lower inner eyelid has been pushed up and out by something, etc. We got a vet appointment and they said that it is like 99% probability a cancerous tumor in her eye socket that is pushing her eye out and inflaming the area(the side of her face), but there is a slight chance it's just an aggressive infection. They prescribed antibiotics and painkillers, and said that if she doesn't improve after a week, that we should absolutely consider euthanizing her because she is in a lot of pain from the inflammation.

It's been a couple days and I don't know if the antibiotics are actually doing anything, but it seems like the painkillers are working much better than the one she had been prescribed before. This morning she actually hopped around a bit while waiting for me to get her a treat, which she hasn't done in like a year. Like, little hop-hop-hops. But I have a question about euthanizing her or not. It's probably some kind of aggressive cancer that is going to kill her eventually since it's right by her brain and if it isn't just straight up a brain tumor it'll probably metastasize into one in short order. But as of right now, she's actually acting pretty normal, basically like she was prior to the eye problem began, and she can even eat relatively normally when she was having trouble chewing before, likely from the inflammation. The rest of her body is fine, her kidneys, liver, bloodwork etc are all aces.

My question is this: if the painkillers are doing their job and she seems to be doing okay besides the ugly malformation of her eye, is it okay to just continue the painkillers, maybe increase the strength over time if necessary, and let her go out on her own, rather than pull the trigger on euthanasia immediately? Before I started her on the painkillers, she wouldn't even get up to greet me when I came home from work, but now she gets up and is ready to go out to piddle right away.

As well, I'm not completely averse to euthanasia, if she becomes crippled by the growth or something happens to her cognitive functions, I would absolutely do it to save her the suffering. My other dog that was with her developed severe dementia and didn't even recognize her own bed at a certain point, and so I was able to make the decision a lot easier since, well, I felt like she had already "died", in that her brain just was completely gone at that point, she didn't recognize anything and so was in a near-constant state of terror of the unknown. But Rosie, she's still sharp as a tack despite being over 18 years old, it's just physical frailty and this eye thing that's slowing her down, so if she can continue on while on painkillers, I would like to do so if possible.

It's tough. She was my sister's dog, and when my sister was murdered, she became our dog, so I've got an especially powerful connection with her. If she goes out in her sleep, I'd be bummed the gently caress out of course, but I've come to terms with losing her eventually for the most part, and don't think it'd weigh on me nearly as much as actively making the choice myself. Cowardly, maybe, but also, if she's able to continue on largely okay on painkillers, as long as they're not inhibiting her daily life, I'd like to let her continue on for at least a little while longer.

If the painkillers are doing their job, and she's having a good quality of life, then love the gently caress out of her while you've got her. If everything else is fine but the eye, and the pain killers stop the suffering, then let it ride.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bonnie (far right) has lots of new friends at dog school now!

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That dog is Sampson and he is peak "Grumpy dog that is actually really fun and cuddly"

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Rexxed posted:

Give your little friends an extra treat in honor of my little friend Sassy who passed away today very quickly after she started having breathing issues last night. She enjoyed pretty much all people food so a little bit of whatever they like is in order!

Will do. Everyone will get an extra hug and an extra piece of roast beef tonight.

In happier news, Bonnie is still enjoying Dog School and yesterday this glamor shot was taken:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Thanks for the news about Monty and Cole

:hmmyes: