Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

unl33t posted:

I'm very tempted to get the Amazon deal, but I'm unclear as to whether or not I would be forced to get DirecTV to get the Sunday Ticket thing. What I'm concerned about is the line about "not currently DirecTV subscribers but are able to receive DirecTV service"-I definitely fall into that category (most of my neighbors have DirecTV, I just have no interest in it outside of Sunday Ticket). Can anyone verify that I'd still be able to use the Sunday Ticket MAX without subscribing to DirecTV?

When you enter the code that comes with the game, it'll ask you if DirecTV is available to you. Say no. That simple. There's quite a bit of info about Madden and Sunday Ticket in the Sunday Ticket thread if that option is something you guys want to look into.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3563728&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

*Size 12 Nike in my mouth

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Volkerball posted:

When you enter the code that comes with the game, it'll ask you if DirecTV is available to you. Say no. That simple. There's quite a bit of info about Madden and Sunday Ticket in the Sunday Ticket thread if that option is something you guys want to look into.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3563728&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

This is correct. I ran into the same problem and did some research. Apparently DTV doesn't REALLY give a poo poo.

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Thanks, just put in my pre-order!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

For the people that fall into the "don't have DTV but can receive it" category there will be a coupon in the game packaging that that gives you $10/month off of DTV service for a year plus free Sunday Ticket MAX this season. You don't have to subscribe to get the free Sunday Ticket on your portable devices.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
I'm getting Madden really for the first time this year. I got 2012 but barely played it, I played NCAA instead.

When I try to play Madden, it feels really alien to me. (I downloaded the demo, and I remember it with 2012 too - one of the reasons I didn't stick with it) The camera feels like it's pulled out way too far, the play calling doesn't feel as nice as NCAA.. but Madden must be the better game since I always hear that the A team is on it - and I'm sure it sells much better.

What will help me feel more at home playing Madden? Just to get used to it? What are the biggest differences between the gameplay in Madden and NCAA? Any tips that may help an NCAA player?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

cletus42o posted:

I'm getting Madden really for the first time this year. I got 2012 but barely played it, I played NCAA instead.

When I try to play Madden, it feels really alien to me. (I downloaded the demo, and I remember it with 2012 too - one of the reasons I didn't stick with it) The camera feels like it's pulled out way too far, the play calling doesn't feel as nice as NCAA.. but Madden must be the better game since I always hear that the A team is on it - and I'm sure it sells much better.

What will help me feel more at home playing Madden? Just to get used to it? What are the biggest differences between the gameplay in Madden and NCAA? Any tips that may help an NCAA player?

The camera is far out so you can see all of the players and see who is open. It sucked when the furthest out camera couldn't see the sidelines

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

Sweeper posted:

The camera is far out so you can see all of the players and see who is open. It sucked when the furthest out camera couldn't see the sidelines
I think I would like it if it pulled out once you snapped the ball (and conversely, pull in somewhat when you're running the ball). I feel disconnected from the game when it's so far out like the demo has it. I'll have to tinker with the camera once the full game is out - looks like the demo locks it.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

I'm shocked to hear that for another year the wind indicator is reversed. Madden is such a joke.

They'll need to muster every ounce of next gen tech to correct this unsquashable bug.

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 25, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The games aren't really that different. If you set it to conventional playcalling instead of that gameflow poo poo, the playcalling is basically the exact same. Other than that, I've got both from last year and I don't notice any big differences. You just have to turn interceptions down a bit so you don't go 12/15 with three interceptions. Linebackers like to jump ten feet in the air and pick you off. I like to set it to 11 minute quarters with 25 seconds off the play clock. Lot of fine tuning you can do with the sliders, and it can be pretty drat fun. The player mode is getting better, but the coach/GM thing they've done the last 2 years was awful. I still play franchise on 11 for that.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 25, 2013

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Can someone explain the whole upgrade to nexgen console system to me?

Apparently through certain channels I can buy this game now for my PS3, then for $10 extra can upgrade it to the PS4 version when it comes out?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:
It seems like half of the games I play have shadow only players and sometimes one of the coaches will have their eyeballs placed too far out of their head so they clip through and generate nightmare fuel.

Are those things that could be fixed before release or are people that don't have their consoles online just completely boned?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

deafmute posted:

It seems like half of the games I play have shadow only players and sometimes one of the coaches will have their eyeballs placed too far out of their head so they clip through and generate nightmare fuel.

Nah that's just Herm Edwards.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

Volkerball posted:

The games aren't really that different. If you set it to conventional playcalling instead of that gameflow poo poo, the playcalling is basically the exact same. Other than that, I've got both from last year and I don't notice any big differences. You just have to turn interceptions down a bit so you don't go 12/15 with three interceptions. Linebackers like to jump ten feet in the air and pick you off. I like to set it to 11 minute quarters with 25 seconds off the play clock. Lot of fine tuning you can do with the sliders, and it can be pretty drat fun. The player mode is getting better, but the coach/GM thing they've done the last 2 years was awful. I still play franchise on 11 for that.
I've been playing Early Access and it does feel a lot better to me now. Back in '12 when I first played Madden, I'd only been playing NCAA for a few months.

I'm 0-3 online so far. :( Gold on all the skills trainers though. Woo! The one thing I wish they'd do in the skills trainers is actually tell you what to look for to know when to call audibles or change someone's assignment. The only situation in which I would really know to call an offensive audible is if a blitz is apparent.

Also not a huge fan of the precision modifier. Maybe I'm getting old but having to bounce back and forth between holding LT or RT and then hit the right button while still steering the player is a little tough for me to do unless I've got a lot of open field. I'm letting the CPU run for me more often than not now.

edit - Will the final game come with more music? Feels like there are 3-4 songs that keep repeating.

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 25, 2013

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

cletus42o posted:

I've been playing Early Access and it does feel a lot better to me now. Back in '12 when I first played Madden, I'd only been playing NCAA for a few months.

I'm 0-3 online so far. :( Gold on all the skills trainers though. Woo! The one thing I wish they'd do in the skills trainers is actually tell you what to look for to know when to call audibles or change someone's assignment. The only situation in which I would really know to call an offensive audible is if a blitz is apparent.

Also not a huge fan of the precision modifier. Maybe I'm getting old but having to bounce back and forth between holding LT or RT and then hit the right button while still steering the player is a little tough for me to do unless I've got a lot of open field. I'm letting the CPU run for me more often than not now.

edit - Will the final game come with more music? Feels like there are 3-4 songs that keep repeating.

You are playing the final game.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice

TheJetCityFix posted:

You are playing the final game.
I know it's basically the same thing I'm getting on Tuesday, but MUT isn't active so it's not exactly the final game.

It would make sense to cut music out for an early release downloadable-only version of a game that will only remain active for a few days, so I was just hoping that's what was going on. Oh well.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
You've got a point. It's GOTTA have more than three songs. Most sports games have at LEAST 3 Eminem white rapper wannabe rapper songs per disc.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TheJetCityFix posted:

You've got a point. It's GOTTA have more than three songs. Most sports games have at LEAST 3 Eminem white rapper wannabe rapper songs per disc.

They've also got to have at least two heavy, but not quite overbearing, rock songs, like "I Don't Wanna Stop." I miss the old school menu music from Nintendo 64. Repeat the same 8 second beat over and over forever.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Volkerball posted:

They've also got to have at least two heavy, but not quite overbearing, rock songs, like "I Don't Wanna Stop." I miss the old school menu music from Nintendo 64. Repeat the same 8 second beat over and over forever.

Madden 64 was the greatest, they need to put the 8 foot tall Tiburon teams back in. You're playin' with the big boys now!

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Madden 64 was the greatest, they need to put the 8 foot tall Tiburon teams back in. You're playin' with the big boys now!

Madden 64 was the one without ANY licenses right? Oh man was I a disappointed child when I got that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6oX3bCkIY :psypop:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

der juicen posted:

Madden 64 was the one without ANY licenses right? Oh man was I a disappointed child when I got that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti6oX3bCkIY :psypop:

NFLPA license, no NFL license. No team names or logos (and they were careful with the colors too) but player names were OK.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

360 Madden 25 League:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565358&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

:getin:

John Brown fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 26, 2013

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
PS3 Madden 25 League

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565373

Got about 15 teams available, :getin:

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Is there any benefit to doing the longer Practices? (like "Full Game") It says you get 2000XP for all of the available practices, but I don't know if they change after you complete each one once, or if I should just stick to the shortest ones.

TheJetCityFix posted:

I mean I know I'm not going to LIKE the music, but I'm getting tired of hearing Welcome to the Jungle and Crazy Train. And there's one of those Black Eyed Peas songs sometimes, though it seems to play much less frequently.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Nuggan posted:

I'm actively writing code for this game RIGHT NOW.

I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys have, but I can't really give you any information that hasn't been publicly released.
You hippie! I was actively writing code earlier today, and did actually work on some of the Franchise stuff this year.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Y'all should actively write some code for a PC version so I can pay way too much money for it like the moron I am.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

real_scud posted:

You hippie! I was actively writing code earlier today, and did actually work on some of the Franchise stuff this year.

There are a few of us that I know of on here... Most of us stay quiet.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
I do like that you can't exploit audibles and formation groupings anymore, but I would like to be able to audible from under center to a shotgun formation and vice versa

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Oberst posted:

I do like that you can't exploit audibles and formation groupings anymore, but I would like to be able to audible from under center to a shotgun formation and vice versa

If it's like the change they made for NCAA you should be able to, however they must have the same personnel. For instance, I'd imagine you could audible from a 3WR/1TE ace formation to Shotgun - Normal, but not to a 4WR or 5WR set and vice versa.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

whatspeakyou posted:

If it's like the change they made for NCAA you should be able to, however they must have the same personnel. For instance, I'd imagine you could audible from a 3WR/1TE ace formation to Shotgun - Normal, but not to a 4WR or 5WR set and vice versa.

That's what I thought and I tried to change custom audibles to do just that, but couldn't seem to. I'll give it another look when I actually sit down with it for more than the time required to quit when a pubbie goes for it on 4th and 3 on their own 27 (Madden never changes)

E: I also already had a jacoby jones kickoff return for a TD, but got destroyed at like the 15 every time i didn't take the touchback besides that one

PeteRoseHaircut
May 17, 2008

Thank you, Toronto!
So, my brother and I like to play offline franchise mode. However, it seems like that in order to made trades, sign free agents, etc, we have to share the same controller, which makes absolutely zero sense.

There obviously has to be a workaround, right?

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I haven't played it yet, but does anyone know if calling an audible on offense resets the adjustments made from the defense?...Ya know, like NCAA.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

PeteRoseHaircut posted:

So, my brother and I like to play offline franchise mode. However, it seems like that in order to made trades, sign free agents, etc, we have to share the same controller, which makes absolutely zero sense.

There obviously has to be a workaround, right?
Nope it's as designed since letting other controllers do input in certain modes can lead to some really wacky things happening so it's better to simply lock all input to the main controller.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

So I never really played Madden 13 much, mainly because the load times were absolutely atrocious. Yeah I am primarily a PC gamer and have moved almost entirely away from my PS3 because of the simple fact that things look worse and load terribly, but is anyone noticing that same problem from last year? Are the load times still as terrible as they were back then?

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Sold my Direct TV voucher to a coworker for 100bux :smugdog:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

On sale for $45 through Newegg on eBay.
PS3

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Ok so you just go left or right in the audible menu to select other formations. Silly me.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Protip: Angle punts all the way down, and direct them to whichever side of the field has more space. It'll either get muffed, bounce off the dude's helmet, or hit the ground before he gets to the spot. Only seen this get returned for positive yardage once so far, and I don't remember it being quite so easy in past years. Every online player will be doing this within the week, that is if they punt at all.

Formation audibles are a great addition, but I wish I could still go into a cover 4 and other plays instead of 2man / man blitz / cover 2 / cover 3. QB spy as always is imperative to have on almost every play online, and man is it easy to get burnt when the QB keeps it in the option. So far though, for whatever reason, I'm enjoying this Madden. I really like the splash screens :shobon:

TASTE THE PAIN!! fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 27, 2013

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

College Slice
Anyone that can answer my question about Practices in Connected Franchise? Specifically, is there any reason to choose one practice over the other, outside of it being one you are confident about winning?

Also, is it right that as Coach you don't actually earn XP for winning a game? (Coach XP - I know your players earn XP from a game) What are the different ways you can earn Coach XP?

Oberst posted:

Ok so you just go left or right in the audible menu to select other formations. Silly me.
I didn't want to say anything considering this is my first time playing Madden and there's so much I don't know how to do.. :)

But yeah, I discovered that one by accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShimSham
May 25, 2007

I heard you
like how I sack.
[rant] I just played a guy online who ran the option with Vick and McCoy, and made heavy use of Desean. He went for it on every 4th down, went for 2 points every time, and kicked onside most times he had a chance to.

I know this is nothing new to Madden and he was better than me but good lord he was insufferable.

• Locked thread