Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Guys. I love podcasts, I love Norm, I love things that are funny but this podcast is just not clicking for me at all. Do you guys mostly watch the videos? I've only been listening only to the audio-only versions at work and everything just feels uncomfortable and weird in a not-entertaining way. I really want to like it but I'm just getting bored :smith:

I've listened to the super dave episode, tom green episode and about half the kevin nealon episode. I will say tho, during the Super Dave episode when Norm's sidekick guy told some awful news story and Super Dave just tore him apart comparing the momentum of the show to driving 150mph on a racetrack just about made me pass out trying not to laugh too loud at work.

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

beep by grandpa posted:

Guys. I love podcasts, I love Norm, I love things that are funny but this podcast is just not clicking for me at all. Do you guys mostly watch the videos? I've only been listening only to the audio-only versions at work and everything just feels uncomfortable and weird in a not-entertaining way. I really want to like it but I'm just getting bored :smith:

I've listened to the super dave episode, tom green episode and about half the kevin nealon episode. I will say tho, during the Super Dave episode when Norm's sidekick guy told some awful news story and Super Dave just tore him apart comparing the momentum of the show to driving 150mph on a racetrack just about made me pass out trying not to laugh too loud at work.

The video version is much better in my opinion, though I'm not sure why. The Super Dave episode is still my favorite, though the Gilbert one is good too (if you're not a typical easily offended internet user), so maybe it's just not for you. I think PFT is annoying but around here he's the 2nd coming. Humor is just so subjective. I love Norm being given free reign with his peculiar sense of humor, which is admittedly very odd. It is usually marginally uncomfortable as well.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

Having the video really enhances things for me. Even if I'm doing something else, it's good to be able to look at what's going on if need be. Plus, half of Norm's comedy is his poker face when he says something like "But 9/11 was really a horrible tragedy."

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Yeah, I just watch the videos, seeing norm is half the fun. I consider this more of a show, than a podcast.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yeah, I feel like watching how people react to things is one of the best parts of the show - the uncomfortable thing should go away pretty quickly if you watch the videos.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
I think that Albert Fish guy might be a real jerk.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

You haven't truly experienced the Norm Macdonald Live show until you've seen Norm's silent reaction to Adam Egret's dumb question to Bob Einstein in video form.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

beep by grandpa posted:

Tragically, I'm watching the videos and I feel about the same way. Norm's one of my all-time favorite human beings (I have 9 gigs worth of videos of just him doing stuff, including almost all of his Conan appearances, which are some of the best things ever), but outside of the ridiculous introductory bits and the amazingly stupid jokes at the end, there's not much of what I think is great about him here. I've watched from the first episode up through to about the half-way point of the Larry King episode and I've been enjoying each successive show less.

All that said, I will be watching every available episode because it's far from bad, it's just not nearly as exciting and wonderful as I've found podcasts with far lesser hosts to be. I see some upcoming guests I'm more likely to be into than the ones I've seen so far, so it might turn a corner for me, and even if it doesn't, I'll take Norm Macdonald Lite over no Norm at all any day.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Just chiming in to say I listen to these almost exclusively audio-only, as I can't really find an hour per episode to watch them like a movie, and I still think this podcast is one of the greatest things to happen in my lifetime. I put one on while I'm running or driving and it's so funny it should probably be illegal to drive with as I've laughed so hard I almost rear ended like two people. The awkward faces are probably hilarious but the long pause implies about the same thing, to me.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
Holy poo poo Norm goofing on "important" comedy is brilliant

Bloody Holly
May 29, 2007

the George Washington of breadfucking
I love how, by taking the piss out of "important" comedy, Norm is to some extent doing something of the same ilk, the difference being that for whatever reason it's actually funny when he does it.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Bloody Holly posted:

I love how, by taking the piss out of "important" comedy, Norm is to some extent doing something of the same ilk, the difference being that for whatever reason it's actually funny when he does it.

I love how Norm realized the bit was terrible, but had to keep going anyways.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

They cut out Owen Wilson's name when talking about his suicide attempt on the Gilbert episode.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

Evil Agita posted:

They cut out Owen Wilson's name when talking about his suicide attempt on the Gilbert episode.

Did they? I recall a point where they brought him up and I remember it got weird (I'm audio-only), like Norm wanted to stop talking about it or something. Maybe I heard the abrupt cut or something.

Was this before he got famous? Holy poo poo why would he ever want to kill himself?

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Nah it was like 2 years ago, post wedding crashers and everything. It's weird more people don't talk about it.

I'm just watching the video of it now, so maybe the audio got out unedited or something.

E: I thought I was clever for figuring it out, since it seems like they kept the conversation in but just cut out his name.

Evil Agita fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 17, 2013

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Well I definitely remember them bringing up his name, I remember thinking it was odd because I hadn't heard about him in a while and they stopped talking about him almost immediately. Maybe I'll catch it again in a re-listen.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It was awhile back yeah, probably around the same time he had to do that terrible google movie. I can't blame him.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Suicide is an oddly-ignored topic amongst celebrities. Terrell Owens was one of the most famous and publicity-crazy athletes of his generation. But the way his suicide attempt is remembered, it's almost like he didn't try to kill himself right in the middle of his peak of celebrity

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Oh my god, I just loved how Norm came back with a sandwich and silently ate it while Gilbert was deconstructing why his "I'm gonna light myself on fire!" bit wasn't funny. That is PERFECT Norm comedy.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
This week was another hour of Gilbert? gently caress yes.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Best reason to watch, not just listen.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I would eat her rear end in a top hat, for muscular dystrophy!

Thanks Gilbert I wasn't gonna finish this set in the gym anyway rear end in a top hat I almost dropped the weights on my head.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Hey, Adam's licking out a man's rear end in a top hat...Who's on first base!?

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Amazing stuff. I was crying laughing for the last twenty minutes or so, especially when Norm would pile on to what Gilbert was saying about Adam.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Price Check posted:

Amazing stuff. I was crying laughing for the last twenty minutes or so, especially when Norm would pile on to what Gilbert was saying about Adam.

Same here, that 2nd hour was fantastic, my face started hurting from laughing for so long and I had to close my door so I wouldn't disturb other people :shobon:

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
Adam is such a great punching bag

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Price Check posted:

'Look under your seats, everyone. What's under their seats? Why, it's Adam Eget.'

That's the line that had my cheeks sore and me choking.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
This is the best moment on the show so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends

WYA posted:

This is the best moment on the show so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnjQKZpmRC0

Yeah this has by far the most rewatchability. Everything from the Furley impression to, "Your dad's alive, right? gently caress." had me in loving stitches.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Andy Dick one is pretty hilarious too. Actually, any time Norm tries to promote something gold. How does he get promoters though? There's no way Mangrate guys are happy with him, or the razorclub.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

WYA posted:

The Andy Dick one is pretty hilarious too. Actually, any time Norm tries to promote something gold. How does he get promoters though? There's no way Mangrate guys are happy with him, or the razorclub.

They should be happy, it's the only time I've ever heard of that stupid grill and I for sure as poo poo remember it now just in case anyone I know needs a giant lump of metal to sit on top of their BBQ for some god awful reason.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

AxeManiac posted:

They should be happy, it's the only time I've ever heard of that stupid grill and I for sure as poo poo remember it now just in case anyone I know needs a giant lump of metal to sit on top of their BBQ for some god awful reason.

Just looked it up and mangrate has pulled their sponsership :lol:

The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012

Price Check posted:

Totally- same here, that episode was incredible.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

WYA posted:

Just looked it up and mangrate has pulled their sponsership :lol:

That's smart, especially considering that their one spot has been played 500x more because it was funny than it would've if it was just a normal ad. Idiots.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Norm Macdonald Live - It's not good enough to get Kathy Griffin

I wouldn't mind if every episode from now on is just another hour of Norm and Gilbert Gottfried.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Gilbert is probably one of my favorite humans on the planet, but from years of having him on Stern, he works best in short bursts, like a little gift here and there.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

WYA posted:

The Andy Dick one actually informed me about mangrates and their actual purpose.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

AxeManiac posted:

That's a little surprising, not because it's a great product or anything, but even as a casual listener of comedy podcasts, I know they've sponsored Bill Burr's Listen to Me Talk About Boring Sports Monday Morning Podcast (kidding, it's usually pretty good when he doesn't stay on sports forever) and Greg Proops' podcast pretty regularly, though I think they had a falling out with Proops as well, but I don't know enough about what does on behind the scenes to say for sure. They're no Stamps.com, Audible or Legalzoom, but they've been putting a lot of their marketing dollars into podcasts for a while it seems.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Is the video available as a video podcast that I can subscribe to? I've been listening every week but I don't really have the time to watch on YouTube during the day, but I could easily start watching it on my commute. I'm not seeing it available in iTunes - I remember getting video podcasts alongside regular ones a few years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Where do I go to see this live?

• Locked thread