Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Real Quaid
Jun 29, 2012
Norm rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

DaveKap posted:

Bit of a necro-post but I finally went to see Norm last night and figured I'd trip report for the other Norm fans on this board.

I'm deeply saddened to report that Norm's condition has only worsened since he made the latest season of Live. It was a bad sign when they booked an extra comedian for the show, shortening the length of Norm's act from the usual hour to 45 minutes. It was a worse sign when the host for the evening (typically a local comedian) had to do another 5 minutes of joke buffering before Norm came out. But once on stage with a Red Bull and his trusty "list of possible jokes I'll tell tonight" (now on 1 big sheet of paper as opposed to his usual sticky-note size [Did I mention I see Norm every year? I see him every year. I know his act]) it became apparent I wasn't going to be in for the usual night of Norm Macdonald.

I'd say about 30-40% of what Norm said came out more as a mumble than an enunciated sentence. Most of the jokes missed but the crowd, being die hard fans, laughed anyway. One person in particular would do the thing where he said the 1 or 2 words of a punchline real loud as he laughed. There was a joke about a psychotic break but at no point was there an understandable punchline to it. The deeply closest jokes came out and were better than usual but even his "I'll leave you with one more joke" bit at the end was a flop. His new material included jokes about how ghosts aren't scary but vampires are a scourge, which were good, but I can't think of any more material he did that wasn't him transitioning between 1 sentence of being present and elucidated followed by 4 sentences of flat out mumbling. Eventually, him drinking his Red Bull was a part of the act (half of Norm's charm is his delivery after all) but after a while you could tell that the Red Bull wasn't helping and he ran out a while ago. If something is wrong with Norm, it's hard to tell what it is. According to some stuff he was saying, it sounded like he's just getting old, but if you're not one to believe his insistence that he doesn't drink (which was a part of the act this night) he basically sounded like he was drunk off his rear end. Either that or high as a kite. What drugs give you mush mouth again?

As I walked out, not intent on sticking around to talk to the dead-ish grandpa who I doubted would be out for a chat anyway, staff at the club said "You lucked out. This show was his better than his previous ones" referring to the 5 other shows he had done this weekend. Ouch. I can only wonder where this is all headed. Twitter's got nothing. Google's got nothing. This is like knowing your favorite comedian is dying but everyone refuses to talk about it because it's too sad to think about. I don't know what's wrong with Norm and I don't know if we'll ever get classic Norm back without a visit to the Candy Man. I just wish I knew what to expect so I could know if going to see him live would ever be worth it again.

Edit: I just discovered he has a Reddit and there are other posts concerned like me. The typical "he's just having an off night" and "it's a running gag but he is always drunk" posts. Ah well.

He has off nights like this and has for a while. I don’t know if they’re more or less frequent these days.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

He has off nights like this and has for a while. I don’t know if they’re more or less frequent these days.
Yeah I've read this particular sentiment multiple times now but looking at past reviews the two discrepancies that worried me were that nothing seemed to reach this particular level of hosed up and it lasted from Thursday to Saturday. His next show is in late January, though, so it'll be a while before knowing what's up.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qFh9UyTm90

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Saw Gilbert Gottfried's standup act last night. Dear lord is he loving hysterical. If anyone here ever had the chance to see him, definitely do so.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Norm posted:

I did my podcast in order to see if I could host a talk show. And I think I succeeded and have now been offered a talk show by Netflix. All the podcasts were rehearsals.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm only in negotiations. There's no show yet.

And on his book

Norm posted:

Yes, a movie adaptation is worked on as we speak.

And yeah, makes sense why he seems so messed up all the time now

Norm posted:

Due to multiple herniated discs, my pain level on a normal day is through the roof.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 29, 2018

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Aw poo poo, I hope his back gets fixed. It's gonna mess his career for good at this rate.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Haha, I didn't know that those quotes were from a Reddit AMA that he did yesterday. Good poo poo in there.

Q: What are your favorite fruits and vegetables?

A: I guess Richard Simmons and Terri Schiavo, I'm now using Bob Hope's old writers.

Q: Hey Mr. Norm, this mystery has been keeping me up for years now...What is your favorite cereal?

A: Count Chocula. The least-respected, least-feared of all vampires.

Q: In the podcast Geoff Edgers said you take a pill for anxiety, but didn't state what causes your anxiety. Was it wrong for him to mention that?

A: Oh no. I suffered from panic attacks. Panic attacks as opposed to anxiety attacks are a feeling of impending doom. When one strikes you, you're paralyzed. One struck me directly before I had to do Weekend Update, and I understood I needed help. My doctor prescribed klonopin and advised me to take half a pill before any performance.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Link for the lazy.

There's a lot of real good stuff in there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
https://twitter.com/LoveLampAyers/status/958540024135471105

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Someone get this man on the Republican ticket!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

All of Norm's podcasts seem to have disappeared from youtube. Did someone mess up and delete them is or did they get licensed to some streaming service?

Edit: I'm guessing he got a Netflix show or Amazon requested he remove them from youtube. Better listen to them all on Soundcloud before they disappear from there too.

Also Norm is posting some odd stuff on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/964456572356210689

Ccs fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 17, 2018

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Ccs posted:

All of Norm's podcasts seem to have disappeared from youtube. Did someone mess up and delete them is or did they get licensed to some streaming service?

Edit: I'm guessing he got a Netflix show or Amazon requested he remove them from youtube. Better listen to them all on Soundcloud before they disappear from there too.

Also Norm is posting some odd stuff on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/964456572356210689

WTF, that content better come back in some form!

His Twitter stuff is likely excerpts from whatever he's currently writing. His next project is supposedly a long-form novel that will be released under a pseudonym.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Zoben posted:

WTF, that content better come back in some form!

His Twitter stuff is likely excerpts from whatever he's currently writing. His next project is supposedly a long-form novel that will be released under a pseudonym.

It's still on Amazon Prime

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I hope it's good news. All the comedians in cars episodes got put off youtube when Seinfeld signed a deal with Netflix, maybe something like that is happening again. I also kinda doubt Norm is in charge of the podcast youtube account passwords to those videos. But I know nothing about showbiz and if I could be right or wrong here.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
His Reddit AMA did mention a show with Netflix which he quickly rescinded and said that wasn’t true. Who knows.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tetramin posted:

His Reddit AMA did mention a show with Netflix which he quickly rescinded and said that wasn’t true. Who knows.

Adam eget was on Ari schaffirs podcast a year or so back and said they were negotiating with Netflix. He wanted that mention to be edited out but Ari didn't take it off. no idea if that deal is still on the table or if Norm tried mentioning it so that it could be tending a bit like his late late show campaign.

in related news. I didn't know much about Ari but clicked on that podcast on the recommendation of people on the Norm sub Reddit and Adams life story is really quite interesting. I'd recommend it. they don't talk much about Norm though.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I don't know if I could listen to a whole hour of a known holocaust denier telling his life story. Sounds boring.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
How detailed are the descriptions of jerking off punks?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I knew I should have ripped those from YouTube

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Why do we acknowledge Adam Eget as a human being? Can someone remind me please?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Because for $15 you can get jerked off.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This channel reposted all the videos so grab em while you can!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCtIqsEiWuJj1J-Agdx27T2g?videos

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Tetramin posted:

Because for $15 you can get jerked off.

Yeah, but when do I ever find myself under a bridge?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Reince Penis posted:

Someone get this man on the Republican ticket!

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/964024730423455744

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

not even norm is immune to the reactionary curse of 90s SNL stars

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Norm's funny but he's never not had questionable taste in, like, anything

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Jordan Peterson owns. Even if you don't agree with him he's an interesting fella to listen to. Norm probably loves his ruminations on Dostoyevsky.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

Love too ruminate on Dostoyevsky

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Trash Trick posted:

Jordan Peterson owns. Even if you don't agree with him he's an interesting fella to listen to. Norm probably loves his ruminations on Dostoyevsky.

:cenobite::cenobite::cenobite::cenobite:

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
Ruminating on the great Works of toll stoy and naba kanav

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Trash Trick posted:

greetings fellow fan of psuedointellectual masturbation

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Trash Trick posted:

Really? You can understand that much? Because he always sounds like Kermit the Frog in between crying jags to me.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Reince Penis posted:

Really? You can understand that much? Because he always sounds like Kermit the Frog in between crying jags to me.

Sorry about your life.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Human Crouton posted:

Sorry about your life.

Lol dude if you only knew

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
For real though I've known about Peterson for a while, because I live in Toronto. Dude is a failed academic turned grifter. If you take him seriously you're a rube.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

You're a liar. I live in Columbus, Ohio; and I don't know any professors at OSU just because we are in the same city. That's not a thing that happens.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 18, 2018

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

The Human Crouton posted:

You're a liar. I live in Columbus, Ohio; and I don't know any professors at OSU just because we are in the same city. That's not a thing that happens.

Bragging about being ignorant of what goes on at the local university to own the libs

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
who cares dorks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
norm owns

• Locked thread