Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

:stonk: Norm needs to take his doctor's advice and pump some eye-rin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Suicide is an oddly-ignored topic amongst celebrities. Terrell Owens was one of the most famous and publicity-crazy athletes of his generation. But the way his suicide attempt is remembered, it's almost like he didn't try to kill himself right in the middle of his peak of celebrity

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

"Who Jackie?" is such an incredible hollywood bullshit story, this dude was a paid writer on a show for two years and he didn't even know one of the main characters. It's amazing.

It ain't bullshit though. Mitch Hurwitz was on staff and told that story on Julie Klausner's podcast last year.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I forgot about Todd Glass's tattoo. What a bad tattoo.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

That's a sleeve. Not a sleeve tattoo, an actual sleeve. It's a joke that he wears because it's ridiculous that he would have such a thing. Proof: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNgqcLJRzlY

Nope, that's a sleeve to cover up his awful, real tattoo.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.379815492097318.98044.125852747493595&type=3

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Who doesn't know who Dave Keochner is? His name might not be recognizable, but even North Koreans have seen Anchorman enough times to quote it from start to finish.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

rear end is probably Sean's mom, but I've seen him live before and he is pretty funny. He was on Hollywood Handbook two weeks ago too.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Norm quietly laughing at his own joke "I used to go to Gambler's Anonymous. What a bunch of losers!" was great.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I love Martin Mull, but it was ironic that the star of Dads was ranting about people being overly PC these days. If you want an example of trying to push the limit with the blandest, most obvious racist/sexist jokes and stereotypes, it was Dads.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Even though James Corden is a very out of left field choice, there was never a chance Norm was included in any of serious discussions past day 1. We're talking about a guy whose ESPYs monologue was so brutally funny (read: offensive) to the athletes that people still talk about it to this day. I just ordered Poking A Dead Frog today and the free kindle preview gave me this gem from Jim Downey, who was fired along with Norm:

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

He was in A Minute with Stan Hooper on Fox. Also, The Sports Show with Norm MacDonald, which wasn't technically a sitcom, but should still count for something.

I'll never understand why Comedy Central had The Sports Show debut around the same time as The Onion's Sportsdome. That was at the tail-end of their deserved reputation for cancelling shows after one season. Both were doomed to fail. Sorry to Norm, but SportsDome was loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvJ90_eZErw

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

God damnit, yes it was. SportsDome was probably the funniest show I've ever watched in my loving life and I don't give a poo poo about sports.

It's even better if you're a sports-obsessed monster like me who regularly watched the same SportsCenter three times in a row in college with my roommates instead of going to sleep. The graphics and tone for the Coke Zero Steam Room is nearly identical to the Coors Light Cold Hard Facts that SC did for years.

"these guys are gonna smell like steam for days!"

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Daily Show is a Peabody winning institution. They're not going to cancel it once Stewart retires. The worst kept secret in Hollywood was that John Oliver was to take over because Stewart might direct fulltime, but then HBO offered him a poo poo more money than CC could.

I can still see Oliver returning once their respective contracts run out. Who wants to be second fiddle to Bill Maher's circle jerk devoid-of-actual-jokes clap fest?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Odddzy posted:

Does anyone know what he's up to currently?

Live tweeting sporting events like a robot. Literally tweeting nothing but "Manning completes the 11 yard pass. First down, Broncos." For five hours straight.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I thought this thread came alive because of Norm's twitter storytime today http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/norm-macdonald-eddie-murphy-was-to-be-cosby-in-celebri-1686686768

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How Much Art posted:

"So Roseanne's sister is washing her big fat rear end in the sink..."

I desperately wish I knew who that comic was.

It's been a while since I listened, but I think Danny Zuker names him when he tells the story on How Was Your Week?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

How Much Art posted:

Thanks I'll check that out!

If he doesn't mention it there, then I forgot who it was ~exactly~. But I do remember googling a black stand-up who had a very short and unsuccessful career in the 90s. If Zuker doesn't name him, it must've been a podcast with Jake Fogelnest since he brings it up a lot.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Norm has been live tweeting Dodger games the last two games, which is awesome as a Dodger fan. He did Monday's game, a 14 inning marathon, along with some random college kid who started tweeting at him.

Also on sports, did anyone see his scorched earth bombing of Vice Sports last week? The site asked him to contribute articles but rejected his first one. They then asked if he could interview athletes... And then expected him to pull out his Rolodex filled with athletes. And when Norm called them out on this, their EIC sent him a snarky tweet showing the guidelines on freelancing. So Norm spent the entire day retweeting people making fun of the EIC's past prose and the site in general. Real childish but hilarious too.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

There was a small piece on Norm in last week's New Yorker. Here it is if you're not an erudite man of letters like myself:

Norm Macdonald, the comedian and former “Saturday Night Live” cast member, who lives in Los Angeles, recently visited New York. One morning, he was drinking coffee at a table in Bryant Park, wearing a red polo shirt from the Shadow Creek golf course, in Las Vegas. He had just made an appearance on “Fox & Friends,” where he talked about his new and largely fictional memoir, “Based on a True Story,” and about the breakup of Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. He then walked through Times Square, reflecting on his anxiety that, having now read half of the first volume of “In Search of Lost Time,” he might have chosen the wrong translation. A section of Forty-second Street was closed, because of a bomb scare, and the atmosphere in Champs Sports, at the edge of the cordoned area, was not restful. Macdonald left without buying anything; he wondered if Champs was the smallest sports store in the world.

In the park, Macdonald considered two plans: one was to rent an apartment in New York for a few months next spring; the other was to go to college. “I always wanted to be educated, and always envied educated people,” he said. He prefers long-dead authors, but said that his son, who is twenty-three, and who has published poetry and short stories, had recently persuaded him to try Raymond Carver. “And Carver really reminded me of Chekhov, whose work I love,” he said. Macdonald had tickets for a matinée preview of “The Cherry Orchard” that afternoon; this was only the third or fourth time he’d been to the theatre.

The operator of the Bryant Park carousel began to remove overnight covers that protect the horses. Macdonald, who is fifty-six, and whose performances have a sort of sunny nihilism, talked about Chekhov’s stories. “I like the endings where nothing happens. And I like bleakness, because I grew up in a bleak area,” he said. (In Quebec, then Ontario.) “There is one story about a guy who’s on a boat, who’s dying, on this long, long trip. And everyone’s taunting him, about dying, you know: ‘You’re going to be dead soon.’ ” Macdonald laughed. “So, anyways, the guy dies, and then Chekhov continues the story. They put him in a kind of duffelbag, a sack, and throw him overboard. He sinks in the ocean, his dead body. And one fish grazes against him, rips the sack, and his body tumbles out, and a bunch of minnows come and eat little bits of him. And a big fish comes and takes away his legs, and that’s the end.” (Some of these details are not in the original.) “You sort of go, ‘What? It’s still going on? The guy’s dead. He’s still asked to endure these indignities!’ It’s a really cruel ending, and I like that.”

Macdonald jerked his head to one side. “That bird almost hit me in the face, like Fabio on the roller coaster,” he said.

Macdonald, who includes imaginary fistfights in his memoir, and in his comedy, said that there was “a kind of joy” in the real thing. “If you punch a guy, and it doesn’t hurt your fist or anything, and he just falls—I don’t know, but it’s fun,” he said. “One time I was in a fight—I was nineteen or twenty—and the guy was short, but he was strong, and he kept hitting me and hitting me. So I got in closer and embraced him, and I pushed down, and his head hit the cement. I picked him up, and then the head hit the cement again. And then the terrible terrible part was: I picked him up again, and he was limp, and I hit him against the cement. Which, at that point, I guess, was . . . murder, attempted murder, or something. So I just went home, and I was so scared. I was thinking, God, I hope he didn’t die, I hope he’s O.K.” Macdonald was laughing. “And he was O.K. We were both having sex with a girl who was married to another guy. So we were both bad.”

He walked back to his hotel; in the lobby, he read a text message on his phone. “loving Louis C.K.,” he said, half-seriously. “He always wants to meet and then he’s, ‘Nope, can’t do it.’ ” C.K., a friend, was asking if they could change a plan, and meet that afternoon, at a time when Macdonald would be seeing “The Cherry Orchard.” “How do I lie my way out of this?” Macdonald asked, putting the phone back in his pocket. A moment later: “The truth! I never considered the truth.”

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

tvgm2 posted:

He mentioned he was doing Maron after Nerdist on the Nerdist interview. No clue how long the lead time is on that.

He did an episode back in 2011 if you need your fix. I'm sure it's on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All this time I thought I liked Norm Macdonald because of his acerbic wit and willingness to say the impolite things nobody wants to say for a laugh. But it's actually because he writes in a certain style.

• Locked thread