Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«304 »
Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Speaking of deathmobiles, what are the rules about turrets firing through/over tiles of the vehicle? Like if install a turret smack in the middle of my car like a mounted gun in a Humvee, will it fire over the other tiles of the vehicle? Or just quarterpanels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Manager Hoyden posted:

If you like this game I suggest backing up a copy of every version you play and like and learn the simple json system to change the things that irk you.

One day a version will come down the pipe that is finally too stupid to play and you will probably want a backup of the last fun version.
Sound advice imo. I tucked a copy of the current stable release away on my HD right after I started to learn more about the dev team and their vision/direction. Imo the current stable is pretty good overall aside from the hosed temperature system so I'm okay with staying there

So I found a crashed attack chopper and two questions came up due to that. Is the gas turbine better than a V12 engine? Can you find good stuff if you take the time to dig through the wreck/rubble piles?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turrets are effectively 'over' everything and can always fire.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Lone Badger posted:

Great to hear. I've been mounting my guns on the corners of my vehicle like an idiot all this time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tin Tim posted:

So I found a crashed attack chopper and two questions came up due to that. Is the gas turbine better than a V12 engine? Can you find good stuff if you take the time to dig through the wreck/rubble piles?

The turbine engines are ridiculously heavy, like way more than you want on a vehicle. The 6000 hp one weighs seven tons, which now that I think on it may not be the worst power ratio if your vehicle is huge enough. Also they all burn a disproportionate amount of fuel!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember hearing this was the case a year or so ago, mounting a turret in the middle of my vehicle... and then finding out it didn't fire on enemies bashing against the side of the vehicle unless I opened the door.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Be very careful about automated turrets and NPC passengers. Turret IFF only seems to care about the player character in my experience, leading to many faction camp allies roasted by the onboard laser.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

The turbine engines are ridiculously heavy, like way more than you want on a vehicle. The 6000 hp one weighs seven tons, which now that I think on it may not be the worst power ratio if your vehicle is huge enough. Also they all burn a disproportionate amount of fuel!
Ah that's a shame then. I didn't even check the weight only what type of fuel it uses. Probably can still be turned into an amazing suicide bike though Oh well at least I looted a minigun from that chopper

Also I've discovered my first lab so keep me in your prayers tonight

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I started loving around with zones today and I'm hitting some issues, maybe someone can help? I'm on the latest experimental.

I'm trying to create a zone for food, which would include all food, including food in containers. Is that possible? When I stack Food and Container zones together, I also get non-food stuff that's in containers. When I have just the food, I only get the food without a container. I also tried custom zones but these don't seem to stack (ei. only the first one is considered, next ones are ignored during sorting).

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 5, 2020

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Tin Tim posted:

Also I've discovered my first lab so keep me in your prayers tonight

Narrator: He ded.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am doing the HUB01 mission that takes you to the basement of a collapsed building, and I think the item I was supposed to retrieve burned up. There was a Talon grenade drone in the area, and a lot of fire. I don't suppose I can find the template anywhere else?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Switzerland posted:

Narrator: He ded.
Not yet!!

It's kind of a hellscape down there though. Tons of noises and chaos, gas and smoke. I've made sort of a beachhead around the elevator and coming up with a tactical plan to clear all these connected corridors and rooms piece by piece breaks my brain. The topside entrance was real unremarkable and small but lol the floor below seems huge af. Gonna keep trucking for now but I probably need to retreat soon and bring WAY MORE AMMO

E: Wondering if it's worth the time to dissect all the scientists later? Like I'm fairly sure I should do it with bio operators but I'm just not sure if the other zombie types can give you CMBs that actually make the time investment worthwhile

E2: Made a push from my beachhead into a corridor where a bunch of stuff had been streaming out from before. Saw what seemed like a holding area with chaff zombies below the first room connected to the corridor. No light in that room so I stepped in and quickly pulled back when another surge of zombies came up on me. Got smashed into the wall by a brute and then fired wildly into the throng that was grabbing and surrounding me. And for a split second I managed to catch the word "Kevlar Hulk" pop up on my HUD. Fired even more wildly and moved as soon as I could but the fucker was already at the door. Imagine my delight when I learned that a huge tower of beef and armor can keep up with me when I sprint...

Him catching and smashing me away was what saved my rear end here tbh. Gave me time to jam a new mag into my empty rifle and then I just kept shooting. Dude ate like 50 rounds of 5,56 before he went down and I had to reload while he was punching my poo poo in

I'm just gonna gome home now okay???

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 6, 2020

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012

Fun heads-up: While venturing back down for those corpses seems a bit dangerous, this goes for any zombie you'd like to dissect: I was storing up a bunch of corpses until I got a scalpel to dissect them and I guess I waited too long because they disappeared.

I'm glad Kevin realistically modeled what happens to an exposed corpse. No rotting away to reveal bones and metallic/computer bits or desiccating into a husk, all the corpses I dragged back to base just poofed one day.

Other than that I've sorta stalled out after moving up north a good distance and finding that the second Hub01 I settled near is bugged out into not even responding to me when I talk to the intercom. I guess I'll wait until the new inventory system is sorted out and then upgrade so I can use the Vehicle Additions mod. Hopefully they don't rip the fun out of the game in-between now and then.

Edit: vvvvv I know traders at factions (The Refugee Center, Hub01) do, it takes a couple days and it's not a complete refresh. They sorta shuffle new things in and lose some of what they had.

Chobayt fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 29, 2011

Horned hellgod from another dimension and also trans

Quick question, do stores (i.e. people you can trade with) ever refresh their inventories?

«304 »