Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Spoggerific posted:

A couple of things that I came up with off the top of my head...

A link to http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/ / http://cdda.chezzo.com/ would be useful for new players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xii
Dec 27, 2011

Only the coldest prevail.

World Famous W posted:

Was it this thread or a lp that had the coke fueled fire lord of the wastlelands who made the big rear end warcart from Fury Road?

Yeah was an LP, bunch of nice stories popped up in the original thread too. Going to try to scrounge some of those up.

Thanks for all the suggestions for the new OP.

Xii fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 11, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Oh yeah, more likely that you'll drop all the ceilings and leave the walls intact, but you could drop an entire structure with a single demolition attempt (fake edit or a single crossbow bolt). There's no shame in save scumming.

For stories, there’s the time I collapsed half a house with a crossbow bolt.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
after dying over and over for 2 hours i made it out of an island prison start!!! 14 strength convicts are good at punching other inmates to death btw

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Slaapaav posted:

after dying over and over for 2 hours i made it out of an island prison start!!! 14 strength convicts are good at punching other inmates to death btw

Congrats! I definitely exploited climbing drain pipes when I did it after dying 20 times.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Climbing in an island prison start is practically required to survive. My strategy is to get a book or skill magazine from the room you start in and read it on the roof got a few hours. The dum dums will get most of themselves killed in all of the barbed wire, lol. You might even get a working gun from the body of a cop, which can be used to take out the hulk. If nothing else, you'll at least fond a lighter, which can make a fire trap for the stragglers

Also the hulk can smash open the locked gun room if you lure him there

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Anybody know map locations besides firestations, evac centers and fields which work for camp building sites? The description text implies stuff gets/got added.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Telsa Cola posted:

Anybody know map locations besides firestations, evac centers and fields which work for camp building sites? The description text implies stuff gets/got added.
As far as I can tell they haven't added any others yet, that text seems to be mostly there to point out that they might add others at some point.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I have magiclysm on and ran into a goblin encampment. I dealt with them in the proper fantasy fashion:

I cast grenade.

It turns out the goblins were meth dealers.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

tsk, figures the goblins would traffic in low grade stuff

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Did you throw or drop that grenade?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I threw it. The throw message didn't show up the log for some reason. It's certainly a funnier mental image if you imagine me running towards the pack of goblins while carrying the grenade, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A grenade clutched in each hand, running towards a pack of goblins with a scream as thrown rocks bounce off your chest. This is the kind of thing you can only experience in this game. :allears:

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

First time flying a helicopter was a trip and a half. I usually play more-or-less random characters, and got given the one where you're a pilot who's landed their little helicopter just as it runs out of gas. The map put me pretty near a private airport, and it only needed gasoline as fuel anyhow, so I soon had it filled back up.

I made exactly one successful flight of about 300 yards. Second flight, I was only about 2 z-levels off the ground, and apparently hit some tall grass with the undercarriage - tall grass being the bane of helicopters everywhere, I assume.

It crashed, causing every single piece of the vehicle to explosively deconstruct, leaving me sitting in the frame on the grass, completely uninjured. It felt like something from a Warner Bros. cartoon.

10/10, GOTY, would recommend, etc.

That being said, good luck navigating in one of these loving things. All you can see around you is empty air (unless you're flying low enough to smash into some grass), so it's a constant ballache of pulling up the map, shifting it down a few z-levels to see the terrain, moving a few squares, pulling up the map again...

Mr. Lobe posted:

tsk, figures the goblins would traffic in low grade stuff

Is there actually any other kind of meth in the game? The name implies it, but I've never seen anything.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pretty sure there isn't, but that didnt stop me from making a joke.

I imagine if someone made a pr and a push request with high grade meth that maybe had more stimulant effect, it would be accepted though

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Speaking of drugs, is there a mod that gives drugs their old effects back? At some point they changed it so that stimulants for example basically do nothing but increase your mood, raise your speed by a percent or two, and absolutely tank your health. I liked it more when doing a line of cocaine while being chased by a hulk was the difference between life and death.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

The grenade is not a valid Sojutsu weapon.

Wow, I didn't expect the next thread title to be so easy to find, but hey there it is.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

Mr. Lobe posted:

Pretty sure there isn't, but that didnt stop me from making a joke.

I imagine if someone made a pr and a push request with high grade meth that maybe had more stimulant effect, it would be accepted though

there used to be adderall which is called prescription stimulant in the newer versions. its the strongest stimulant other than adrenalin but its not considered unhealthy like cocaine or low grade meth. its also not very addictive.

Slaapaav fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 20, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a DARE officer on the dev team or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're talking about the name change, it's probably a trademark thing. Adderall isn't a legally generic term like aspirin is. Might be they were concerned.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think the comment was more about the lack of benefits to Meth

Cocaine is still useful as a short term morale booster of you space out doses enough to not make addiction a serious problem so I don't think it's a principled opposition to drugs that drove that change but rather a overcommitment to a certain perverse notion of 'realism'

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That said, realistically doing Meth probably isn't going to improve your running speed by 20 percent or something

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ah, alright then. Well, I've never done any meth, low-grade or otherwise, so I can't comment. It does metabolize notoriously quickly, though, and the comedown is said to be crazy harsh compared to other stimulants.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah and Meth crash is implemented in game

Meanwhile there's no real downside to heroin or coke so long as you don't overdose or use enough to become addicted

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I shudder to think what they'll do if bath salts are ever implemented. Then again, that might be kind of funny.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're talking about the name change, it's probably a trademark thing. Adderall isn't a legally generic term like aspirin is. Might be they were concerned.

It was also because a drug apparently instantly stops being harmful and addictive if its 'prescription', versus those illegal drugs poor people take.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

It was also because a drug apparently instantly stops being harmful and addictive if its 'prescription', versus those illegal drugs poor people take.
Yeah, I see where you're coming from there. It's certainly easy enough to misuse Adderall and Ritalin as easily as any other prescription narcotic, although it's probably somewhat less harmful to you long-term. Some of the by-product stuff that I've heard about being found in domestically cooked meth is pretty horrific.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big big difference between a methhead and someone taking amphetamines to control ADHD is that the latter is taking small, precisely measured doses on a schedule. Using adderall recreationally will gently caress you up as much as using any other strong stimulant recreationally. It's about usage, not whether its one of the Approved Good Drugs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

As someone who takes small, measured doses of Ritalin on a schedule for ADHD, I can confirm that.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

They could argue that the prescription stimulants are extended release and harder to abuse (though you could for greater effect and greater downside)

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 21, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

They could argue that the prescription stimulants are extended release and harder to abuse (though you could for greater effect and greater downside
Yeah, it's as easy as chewing the pills instead of swallowing them, really. The extended release factor tends to lie in the coating on the individual globules.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Pigeons in my games keep aggroing on zombies and then swarming them down, as the zombies flail at them ineffectually.

Sat back and watched as they cleared most of a motel.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Cardiovorax posted:

Ah, alright then. Well, I've never done any meth, low-grade or otherwise, so I can't comment. It does metabolize notoriously quickly, though, and the comedown is said to be crazy harsh compared to other stimulants.

I think the main complaint here fwiw is that previously meth, stimulants et. al. had gameplay effects; most notably that they increased speed significantly, and also boosted INT (which meant the best way to perform dangerous cybernetic surgery upon yourself was to get yourself good and methed up first) and those were removed for unclear reasons, not that it doesn’t accurately represent the effects of methamphetamines.

edit: also because it means drugs are 100% pointless in the game now unless you seriously need to recover from a morale crash or something, especially compared to their hilarious drawbacks and crashes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cardiovorax posted:

I genuinely don't understand the naming conventions of this game. Some things, mostly foods, are badly-described generics that I have to figure out what they're even describing. Other things are "Necco wafer". They use brands seemingly at random.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

"Necco wafers" are very New England-y (the factory used to be here), so I wonder if that's why they get namedropped.

I sometimes expect to see cans of Moxie around.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Telsa Cola posted:

Pigeons in my games keep aggroing on zombies and then swarming them down, as the zombies flail at them ineffectually.

Sat back and watched as they cleared most of a motel.

I love this

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They might be the rats of the sky, but when push comes to shove, the pigeons will stand with humanity. :patriot:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

They might be the rats of the sky, but when push comes to shove, the pigeons will stand with humanity. :patriot:

Oh no, they aggro on me too though they have a hard time getting through like any armor. I mostly ignore them since they do that hit and run thing manhacks do and its not worth chasing them down.

Pigeons just done with everyone's poo poo.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That sucks and I will hard-code my pigeons to always be friendly to humans, because I just find that idea too funny. Hatoful Zombiehunter mod is a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You can currently win friends and influence pigeons with bird food, I think