Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016

Pretty sure pistol grip is from the Cata+ mod though, a folding stock is the best you'd get in vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Iirc you can also cut down the stock on some guns with the hacksaw so it might work there too? Wanna say a double barrel can fit into a large pistol holster with cut stock&barrel

Never tried it myself so lol I will once I find a 50. rifle

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

A sawn off Saiga used to be the top tier hold out weapon of choice.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Do labs have turrets at the entrance when you bust in instead of using a science ID? I think I never had to do that but yeah my current game has given me zero science ID cards

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think regular labs have a turret even if you enter using a science ID.

Speaking of labs, I am tempted to learn how to make a mod just to replace the newer labs with old science labs. They are nearly useless except for getting hydrogen canisters.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

I got fairly well into a game with the Dark Skies Above mod before realizing it seems to have removed all other monster types. Is there a way to get other types of monsters/ regular zombies to spawn as well in my existing game?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Speaking of labs, I am tempted to learn how to make a mod just to replace the newer labs with old science labs. They are nearly useless except for getting hydrogen canisters.
Yeah not really a fan myself. I mean the number of enemies is kinda fun if you got an m249 and a few belts to burn but the chem themed loot is mostly useless and boring. You can score a few CBMs or other choice items but it's not really worth compared to the effort&risk of clearing the place

Also, TIL that you can use the vibrator to quickly recover mood&focus during long reading sessions. How did I not learn this sooner wth

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah not really a fan myself. I mean the number of enemies is kinda fun if you got an m249 and a few belts to burn but the chem themed loot is mostly useless and boring. You can score a few CBMs or other choice items but it's not really worth compared to the effort&risk of clearing the place

Also, TIL that you can use the vibrator to quickly recover mood&focus during long reading sessions. How did I not learn this sooner wth

Mp3 players are generally better because they provide the mood boost and resultant focus boost throughout/while you are doing an activity so you don't have to stop.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Alternately, a harmonica; that doesn't even need batteries.

v: Yeah, a harmonica with a holder can be played while doing other stuff, but you're right that it produces noise, if you're somewhere where that's a factor.

megane fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 13, 2021

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

megane posted:

Alternately, a harmonica; that doesn't even need batteries.

Very true but batteries are one of those "limited" resources which are actually so ever present and available that you can go like 3 in game days and have more light batteries then you will ever need. Toss a solar panel, a box and a recharging station on a bike frame or shopping cart and you just need to grab a bulk load of batteries whenever you need them.

But yes a harmonica with a holder (I imagine this lets you play constantly, never tried it though) would work more efficiently, though you would be producing noise as you read which could be bad.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Mp3 players are generally better because they provide the mood boost and resultant focus boost throughout/while you are doing an activity so you don't have to stop.
The Mp3 player is almost constantly on in my games. But if you for example read a book with -1 joy then it will eventually negate the buff and books with more negative joy can push you into negative mood after a few hours. And focus depletes naturally when you read a bunch so quickly restoring it has value there. Just use the vibrator like twice after a few hours of reading and you're right back in the gains

Never tried a harmonica myself so I'm gonna keep an eye out for one

E:stepped down into the first lab of the run and found a slightly damaged mini nuke on the floor after a few steps....not feeling good about this one

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 13, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

Kaewan posted:

I got fairly well into a game with the Dark Skies Above mod before realizing it seems to have removed all other monster types. Is there a way to get other types of monsters/ regular zombies to spawn as well in my existing game?
How is Dark Skies Above, anyway? It looked like a huge change but I wasn't sure how fleshed out it was.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

How is Dark Skies Above, anyway? It looked like a huge change but I wasn't sure how fleshed out it was.

I just double checked the github and the mod files because I was thinking I hadn't seen the stuff yet but there are no recipes for any of the materials you get. So basically the only thing in the game are the new monsters and some new items, thats about it.

Theres maybe 10 new "useful" items but they are meh because they are really only there for you to break down and make human adapated alien tech with, which you cant yet.

I dunno just seems odd to me that you spend a bunch of time making new branded canned food items and flyers advertising it but literally do not add a single reverse engineered item in the game mod you are basing off of xcom.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I havenít played CDDA since 0.E so Iím not 100% sure whatís new or just the Dark Skies Above mod. I dig that thereís a ton of derelict buildings and half destroyed houses from what appears to be meteor strikes. Nothings as pristine as it seemed to be before.

I have my city size set to 12 and spacing to 12 as well but havenít seen anything significant other than the small town I started in. This is despite having driven a few real world hours. So I actually havenít seen to much if any of the content. Supposedly thereís new quests and such but I havenít seen any NPCs yet.

The monster types donít seem to be that different. I assumed since they were aliens I wouldnít have to pulp corpses but nope they raise just like normal. I also set my monster evolution a bit lower cause I never liked seeing a dissoluted devourer after what felt like right off the bat.