Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

esquilax posted:

What, you mean you don't put on two skirts and a pair of long underwear before you go running?
Well, I do, but that's for personal reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encolpio
Apr 12, 2013
Here's an idea for dealing with the game reaching a point where it's to easy and you've seen everything: events that happen on the world map after a certain period of time or certain triggers. It's been ages since I played the game, so I think it might already have some thing in it like this, but I'm thinking of things like portals to another dimension appearing through which progressively stronger monsters come, or sites where aliens land and then make excursions from. The portals could be tied to cultist groups in the game which could be destroyed in order to prevent them appearing or to close them, and you could use the missile silos already in the game to destroy alien spaceships, that sort of thing.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

Is archery nerfed in 0.6git? It doesn't seem very useful.

Not as far as I can tell, I cloned yesterday and went from Archery 1 to Archery 7 in just a few days

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PiCroft posted:

Is there anything else regarding clothing repair/reinforcement people want in the meantime?

Some way to modify clothing beyond reinforcing and fitting it would be nice. Stuff like sewing in insulation for extra warmth, or sticking some home-made armoured plating in something.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Current guy was doing pretty good. Managed to find a mansion and clear it with my pointy stick before reading some books and chilling out next to a pool table for a while. Then I found a military bunker but only had enough identification to get me through the first door. I used a LAW to blast some holes in the wall and walked away with my first grenade launcher which i used to decimate a FEMA camp before being overwhelmed. Last action was firing a grenade at my feet to kill all the zombies around me bammo.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Started a new character playing a regular construction worker called 'Tim Allen' and he's just started right next to a public works with a garage and a tool shed. You cannot make this poo poo up. Ugh Ugh UGH UGH UGH

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
After dying to bears and spiders like a dozen times, I finally managed to survive longer than a couple of days and fix up a vehicle to drive around in.

gently caress zombies. :getin:

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009
Yes, at some point Cataclysm stopped being about zombie survival and started being Pimp My Ride for the Apocalypse. It took nearly an in game month to get all of the parts, but I created my magnum opus:

The Johann Slambastion Block X, a huge cube of steel covered in 25" semi truck tires and steel plating. It had spikes, but I found they couldn't survive the speed and damage. At a good speed, a collision causes over 6000 damage!

Four floor trunks provide adequate storage, and the perimeter of the thing is steel boards, not steel frames; it's "completely inaccessible" except via the door and windshields, once broken. Except when you turn 45 degrees, due to everything being squares, you can enter the vehicle diagonally. :sweatdrop: The very front is covered in steel plating and steel frames. You can only see out through the front, usually, and at a tiny angle, which sometimes causes fun problems, like when you get out and realize you've driven through the side of a house for a while.

It's not the huge gas-guzzling death machine you want. It's the huge gas-guzzling death machine you need.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You just can't not love a game that gives you the ability to weld together your own Killdozer.

Hint: There are artifacts in the game that will give you "clairvoyance," the ability to see through walls. It's definitely worth looking for one, especially if you're driving a killtruck like that.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My current strategy for making the game way too easy is scouting the roads until I find an operable semi truck, finding a gas station and filling a plastic bottle with gasoline, getting the truck going and driving at 16kp/h inside towns just running over all zombies, grabbing a sniper rifle and just doing whatever the heck I want.

my current dude is rolling with a sniper rifle and a broadsword, feeling like a complete badass.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Well THAT was a lovely bug. I drank some water before bed, went to sleep and...died of dehydration. I'm pretty drat certain I didn't accidentally drink salt water or anything, because I drank enough to make sure I was slaked.

I'm savescumming from now on.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Yeah, I've always found the rate at which thirst/hunger goes up during sleep to be a bit high.

If my guy eats and drinks a full meal before bed and sleeps for 7 hours he wakes up almost starving, seems a bit off balance.
Perhaps a slower increase in needs whilst asleep? I seem to recall some sort of CBM or mutation that prevents thirst going up whilst sleeping so it must be possible to put in.

Strumpie fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 12, 2013

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Fun bug in the newest Nightly release. You cannot exit vehicles when you get in them. "e" examines instead of exits in a vehicle, when it should do the reverse.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No they changed how it works, it's in the vehicle controls menu now. Press ^.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

JAssassin posted:

Fun bug in the newest Nightly release. You cannot exit vehicles when you get in them. "e" examines instead of exits in a vehicle, when it should do the reverse.

They changed it. It's now under the vehicle menu you use for cruise control and headlights, which also got changed and is now ^.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Which is dumb and terrible. There aren't many situations where you need to pick up stuff from an adjacent vehicle storage when driving.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Yeah it took me a while to figure out why I wasn't exiting the car I accidentally entered in the middle of a zombie horde :/

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Anticheese posted:

Which is dumb and terrible. There aren't many situations where you need to pick up stuff from an adjacent vehicle storage when driving.
On the plus side, I haven't accidentally left my moving car in ages.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

emanresu tnuocca posted:

No they changed how it works, it's in the vehicle controls menu now. Press ^.

Oh ok. Good to know!

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
GDA 0.3 is now out in the GDA post.

Whoever is submitting super helpful tips for fixing suggested issues in the idea form is awesome, Thanks a ton!

Keep submitting ideas! I'll be making a post later detailing my proposed Cooking overhaul.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Jon93 posted:

GDA 0.3 is now out in the GDA post.

Whoever is submitting super helpful tips for fixing suggested issues in the idea form is awesome, Thanks a ton!

Keep submitting ideas! I'll be making a post later detailing my proposed Cooking overhaul.

National Guard Grunt starts with a missing item on n.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

JAssassin posted:

National Guard Grunt starts with a missing item on n.

Fixed, reuploading now It's up, if you downloaded it before you should download it again because I said so.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 13, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Who the hell suggested to make the katana less ridiculous. They need to be ridiculous. And I can never even find one of the drat things.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Well my longest run just ended.
First vehicle I built was a bike which let me get around without fuel. Later found a working electric car with no wheels near a broke car with. The electric had just enough fuel to get home but refused to charge in sunny weather, so I had to hoof it cross country to get my bike. Eventually found a gas station and loaded up a flatbed.
Everything was going well, I fortified a garage and was tidying up burning the butchered remains of zombies, but that spread from the brazier and quickly enveloped the place before I could escape. Might have escaped if I would just have left the truck but had too much in the trunk.

At least now I can try the new build as saves don't transfer.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Forgot to mention in the changelog but I've DOUBLED the quench levels of all beverages. Should reduce the annoyance of having a sack full of drinks on you of all times.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Who the hell suggested to make the katana less ridiculous. They need to be ridiculous. And I can never even find one of the drat things.

I had no idea there was even a katana in the game. If they're going to be that drat rare then they should be ridiculous.

EDIT: There should be two katana. A real one and one of those stupid replicas all the weeaboos own that does about as much damage as a pocket knife.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 13, 2013

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Jonny Retro posted:

EDIT: There should be two katana. A real one and one of those stupid replicas all the weeaboos own that does about as much damage as a pocket knife.

Hahaha, That'll be in the next build for sure.

Regarding fire, I've gotten a few requests to tweak how long certain things burn / make them lighter to carry. The way the fire system works is it determines how long something can burn based off their volume and fire resistance. So the only way to make something burn longer is to increase its volume.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Jon93 posted:

Hahaha, That'll be in the next build for sure.

Regarding fire, I've gotten a few requests to tweak how long certain things burn / make them lighter to carry. The way the fire system works is it determines how long something can burn based off their volume and fire resistance. So the only way to make something burn longer is to increase its volume.

Although it would be kind of silly in the abstract, one way to work around this might be adding the ability to use knives/scissors cut up those worthless magazines into kindling with ridiculously high volume. That way you could actually get a decent fire going.

Alternatively, don't logs become "burnt logs" with very high fire resistance after burning for a bit? Remove the burnt logs' fire resistance and jack up their volume, and the logs would burn for a very long time.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Still need 3 more turrets to cover all corners.

Anyone know if plasma guns use hydrogen already in tanks or do you drop them onto the turret itself?

Jon93 posted:

Forgot to mention in the changelog but I've DOUBLED the quench levels of all beverages. Should reduce the annoyance of having a sack full of drinks on you of all times.
Thank god for that, I don't even bother saving sodas in vanilla since I need three of them to match one serving of water.
Maybe slightly increase the morale bonus for food? Or at least make it last longer.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Galm posted:

Still need 3 more turrets to cover all corners.

Why are there 4 fuel gauges, do you have 4 engines in that thing?

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Why are there 4 fuel gauges, do you have 4 engines in that thing?

Fuel, Electricity, Hydrogen, and Water; in that order.

There's only one engine; a 5Liter V6. I snagged a large electric motor but it eats up too much power. Solar panels don't seem to do poo poo in this version either; 5 days and the battery didn't go up at all.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I posted this in the GDA suggestion box, but I thought this might merit a discussion: what about having creatures that only spawned during certain seasons? You spawn in Spring; maybe Triffids and Fungaloids could appear in Summer and Autumn, and then extremely dangerous super-zombies like Wights and Revenants could swarm in Winter.

I think it would structure the gameplay a great deal, the way sieges structure gameplay in Dwarf Fortress. There would be a real need to spend the first threes seasons stocking up and fortifying for the tough winter.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

Vengarr posted:

I posted this in the GDA suggestion box, but I thought this might merit a discussion: what about having creatures that only spawned during certain seasons? You spawn in Spring; maybe Triffids and Fungaloids could appear in Summer and Autumn, and then extremely dangerous super-zombies like Wights and Revenants could swarm in Winter.

I think it would structure the gameplay a great deal, the way sieges structure gameplay in Dwarf Fortress. There would be a real need to spend the first threes seasons stocking up and fortifying for the tough winter.

Mutant snowmen that live in igloos and throw knifes and rocks embedded in snowballs at you in the winter, they melt into a strangely cold puddle in every other season.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Vengarr posted:

Engine doesn't currently support seasonal spawn lists and I don't want to diverge too far from 0.6 DDA until they get stable. I'll mark it as a possibility on the suggestion list.

Making the game actually interesting after the initial scramble for loot is high on my list of goals for GDA.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jon93 posted:

Engine doesn't currently support seasonal spawn lists and I don't want to diverge too far from 0.6 DDA until they get stable. I'll mark it as a possibility on the suggestion list.

Making the game actually interesting after the initial scramble for loot is high on my list of goals for GDA.

I thought I read that swamp creatures didn't spawn during the winter. Is this not the case, or are you just unable to use that to create seasonal spawn lists?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Hey Jon, I've put in kevlar/plastic item repairing as well as salvaging plastic and kevlar materials, do you want the source? I'm working on further amrour/clothing modification and reinforcement at the moment too.

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

PiCroft posted:

Hey Jon, I've put in kevlar/plastic item repairing as well as salvaging plastic and kevlar materials, do you want the source? I'm working on further amrour/clothing modification and reinforcement at the moment too.

Jon, can you make a github repo? I'd like to try and fix up some of the item descriptions so you don't have to look at the wiki to see what they do.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Static spawn would be a lot more interesting if certain zombies wandered around. Maybe have wandering hordes of zombies. There's no real reason to reinforce your base currently as nothing comes near it once you've cleared the area.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Are we posting ridiculous vehicles now? Here's my all-in-one hoarding vehicle, mobile home, and death truck in version 0.4
It has 16 tiles of storage (17 if you count the bed, in which I store rags and related materials), a nice big engine, and four fuel tanks to let it drive to the very edge of the world.
The entire front is reinforced with spike plating, and the wheels with hard plating
It has an arrangement of internal doors that lets the back chamber close off entirely from the surrounding world, with an optional transparent door at the very back to safely look outside
There's also a headlight in the back to allow for reading at night, and it is full of everything anyone could ever want to survive forever

It also fits snugly inside garages, for maintenance or for filling with additional vehicle parts.

TheKnife fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

If your car only has one engine then it's a car for babies to drive