Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
I just lost my first character, to a sinkhole. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

I don't know how to actually play, I guess. How do you make vehicles? Everyones like well once you get all the stuff but I don't know how to do it. I got high night vision by eating fetuses in a science lab and I've been having a pretty nice time by just being nocturnal and sneaking around towns but someone gotta drop a strategy bomb on this here thread.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
In 0.5 vehicles are littered all over city blocks. Most of these are broken somehow, you can either salvage tires from a busted car and replace the ones on cars that have flats, or just replace the engine if your mechanics skill is high enough. Read a mechanics book if you can to get up to level 3, then look for hardware stores for wrenches, hacksaws and welders to pull cards apart with. Or, just hope you can find a car in a parking lot / garage / underground parking lot beneath an office tower. Sometimes fuel-less cars are out on the highways, far from town, or some wrecks are near gas stations in remote areas.

Also don't forget to fill something with gas, early on you can use a bottle but later filling a whole jerrycan and using that to refuel as needed is more efficient (e to interact with car, move over to the gas tank, then refill)

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

nftyw posted:

In 0.5 vehicles are littered all over city blocks. Most of these are broken somehow, you can either salvage tires from a busted car and replace the ones on cars that have flats, or just replace the engine if your mechanics skill is high enough. Read a mechanics book if you can to get up to level 3, then look for hardware stores for wrenches, hacksaws and welders to pull cards apart with. Or, just hope you can find a car in a parking lot / garage / underground parking lot beneath an office tower. Sometimes fuel-less cars are out on the highways, far from town, or some wrecks are near gas stations in remote areas.

Also don't forget to fill something with gas, early on you can use a bottle but later filling a whole jerrycan and using that to refuel as needed is more efficient (e to interact with car, move over to the gas tank, then refill)

You also need a jack and rubber hose for changing tires and filling containers with gas from vehicles respectively. Jacks will be in garages with the other mentioned mechanical items but rubber hoses are probably limited to gas stations. Also the easiest way to check for whether a vehicle is useful or not is to (e)xamine it - a box will pop up with diagnostics, and if the vehicle doesn't say "wheels: lack" or "safe speed: 0 mph" you'll know you can drive it once you put more fuel in.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

If you find a jerrycan, drop whatever you need to in order to collect it short of getting yourself killed. I now hoard them and transfer stuff like drinks from cans that I have too many of, so I can dump the cans and compress my item lists.

Speaking of, unless someone else has done so or the DDA build is planning it, I might look into making more stuff stackable. Its pretty dumb that strings and rags are treated the same way as rocket launchers and jerrycans of fuel for container space purposes.

e: also, rubber hoses can be found by (s)mashing fridges.

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 13, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

You also need a jack and rubber hose for changing tires and filling containers with gas from vehicles respectively. Jacks will be in garages with the other mentioned mechanical items but rubber hoses are probably limited to gas stations. Also the easiest way to check for whether a vehicle is useful or not is to (e)xamine it - a box will pop up with diagnostics, and if the vehicle doesn't say "wheels: lack" or "safe speed: 0 mph" you'll know you can drive it once you put more fuel in.
You can get rubber hoses by smashing any refrigerator.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Cardiovorax posted:

oh my god this changes literally everything

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I had no idea, thanks! Now I can actually use working cars without hoofing it to a gas station.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Well that's just lovely:

Was dissembling a steel frame to add some hardened plating to my pimped out semi truck and apparently my dude just worked himself to death. It's not like I didn't have water on me and two jerrycans full of water in the truck.

edit: timg.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well that's just lovely:

Was dissembling a steel frame to add some hardened plating to my pimped out semi truck and apparently my dude just worked himself to death. It's not like I didn't have water on me and two jerrycans full of water in the truck.

You might want to timg that, just saying.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
That happened to me, and now I know why. Being too hot increases how thirsty you get, but it was having an effect that was WAY too high. Looking at the forums it's been fixed now.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PiCroft posted:

Hey Jon, I've put in kevlar/plastic item repairing as well as salvaging plastic and kevlar materials, do you want the source? I'm working on further amrour/clothing modification and reinforcement at the moment too.

PiCroft posted:

Hey Jon, I've put in kevlar/plastic item repairing as well as salvaging plastic and kevlar materials, do you want the source? I'm working on further amrour/clothing modification and reinforcement at the moment too.

I'm already working off a Github fork so just request pull / push access and I'll approve it. https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Also PM me for my skype info so we can coordinate.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

See this is super helpful thank you. Is it a case basically of if you can't see them they can't see you? How many things have some sort of night vision? It seems kinda random when zombies will detect me en masse at night and then lose track just as quickly. Are they attracted to light sources? Can I throw a glowstick or something as cover?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Prokhor posted:

See this is super helpful thank you. Is it a case basically of if you can't see them they can't see you? How many things have some sort of night vision? It seems kinda random when zombies will detect me en masse at night and then lose track just as quickly. Are they attracted to light sources? Can I throw a glowstick or something as cover?
Everything has its own circle of vision that isn't necessarily the same size as yours. Zombies track you by sight, smell and sound, in that order of priority. If they can see you, they will run right for you. If they can smell you, they'll ignore any noises. If they can neither see nor hear anything, they'll follow your smell to where you last were and then track you down from there.

You can't use glowsticks as bait, but you can build a noise maker out of a radio and use that to lure them in. Or just set a building on fire. The noise it makes while collapsing will attract everything within a several block radius. Smell is harder to cover. If you can find an Olfactory Mask bionic, it'll make you emit no smell whatsoever while it's active. It's great for night raids.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Jon93 posted:

I'm already working off a Github fork so just request pull / push access and I'll approve it. https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Also PM me for my skype info so we can coordinate.

Pmed you. How do I request push/pull access in github?

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Tim Allens car broke down miles away from his garage and after being chased around the countryside for a while he's holed himself up in a LMOE shelter. Currently he's eating catfood and trying to shake off his cocaine addiction.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Cardiovorax posted:

Smell is harder to cover. If you can find an Olfactory Mask bionic, it'll make you emit no smell whatsoever while it's active. It's great for night raids.

Or go out in the rain, it covers any smell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No, it actually doesn't, it just makes it go away faster. Smoke does cover up smell, though. It doesn't keep you from making more, but it destroys the trail that's already there.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Do you guys prefer to have a home base or live out of a car?

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Faithless posted:

Tim Allens car broke down miles away from his garage and after being chased around the countryside for a while he's holed himself up in a LMOE shelter. Currently he's eating catfood and trying to shake off his cocaine addiction.

We're talking about cataclysm, right?

:smug:
:laffo:

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Faithless posted:

Living out of a car seems far more convenient, you can roam the map and just rest up whenever you feel tired instead of having to travel back to your base every couple of days. An RV kitchen unit is a wonderful thing.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Faithless posted:

Neither. I wander around with everything I need on my back.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I like travelling in a vehicle, not only because its convenient but because its a lot more secure than ordinary boarded doors/windows. I don't think i've ever had anyone break through my boards or vehicle doors (although they did break through my windshield once).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I like to turn Semi Trucks into pimped-out wheeled doom fortresses of solitude. Picking a random house in the middle of a city and just fortifying the hell out of it is pretty fun, though.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

PiCroft posted:

I like travelling in a vehicle, not only because its convenient but because its a lot more secure than ordinary boarded doors/windows. I don't think i've ever had anyone break through my boards or vehicle doors (although they did break through my windshield once).

Can always stick spike pits outside windows for extra security and place traps around the entrances.
Can't do that with a vehicle.
But living in a base does get dull after awhile.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PiCroft posted:

Pmed you. How do I request push/pull access in github?

Grab a clone from the page and make your changes then submit a commit request.

Note: I'm bad at git so...Yeah I'm not really quite sure.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 14, 2013

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Another character is off the ground. Started out in an evac center near a large town, and unbelievably, two gun stores were on the outskirts of it. I only managed to loot one before having to get the hell out of dodge, and found a Ruger 10/22 with ~100 bullets of .22 ammo. Nearby, there was a working flatbed that I managed to use to cut through the hoard. Out into the countryside, I realized that my fuel was incredibly limited: only about 3% gas left in the tank. I didn't get very far, but stopped near a bunch of dead soldiers. Total loot from the corpses: Military ID, combat knife, USP 9mm, 40mm grenade launcher with tear gas and smoke grenades, army pants, a belt rig, utility vest, M72 LAW, 120 rounds of 5.56 ammo, extended mag, brass catcher, about 20 MRE rations and 8 bottles of water. I stuck most of it in the trunk of my flatbed, and started to wander the countryside for shelter. Sure enough, I found a farm with about 10 zombies in the farmhouse and the barn. Took them out with minimal effort, and ripped out the boarded up windows on the barn to use the two by fours to board up the farmhouse. Ended up spending an uneventful night reading a drama novel via flashlight, then getting a full night's rest.

I have a couple objectives by this point:
1. Find gas
2. Find something to use my 5.56 ammo with
3. Take the fight back to the city. :black101:

Edit: Oh, goddamn it. The game won't start now. Gets to map load 2700/3012 then it crashes. I'm on the latest goon build. Is there anyway I can fix this?

CascadeBeta fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 14, 2013

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

seriously digging the national guardsman. Takes a lot of the tedium out of the early game.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Dafuq?

Edit:
Apparently, mutagens can now be targeted. Chugging the beast goo in the labs with Robust Genetics gave me retard strength and a fluffy tail which apparently gives a retarded +8 to dodge.

Galm fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 14, 2013

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Galm posted:

Dafuq?

They say it's just a joke, but someone on the team is probably a furry.

There's also a furry tail mutation that improves your dodge.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slime posted:

If there's anything more annoying than furries, it's people who can't shut up about furries.

Galm posted:

Apparently, mutagens can now be targeted. Chugging the beast goo in the labs with Robust Genetics gave me retard strength and a fluffy tail which apparently gives a retarded +8 to dodge.
What do you mean, targeted? The robust genetics trait improves your chance of getting 'good' mutations, but that's been around for a while now.

The two dodge-bonus tail mutations are indeed stupidly good, though.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

If there's anything more annoying than furries, it's people who can't shut up about furries.

I apologize for responding to someone and commenting on the matter.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Slime posted:

I apologize for responding to someone and commenting on the matter.
Yeah, that was only tangentially directed at you, really. :shobon: Just a bit ridiculous the way people fall all over themselves to point out 'furry' stuff, sometimes on rather specious grounds.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Slime posted:

There's also one that gives you a badass scorpion stinger, so it kinda equals out.

Galm
Oct 31, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

What do you mean, targeted? The robust genetics trait improves your chance of getting 'good' mutations, but that's been around for a while now.

The two dodge-bonus tail mutations are indeed stupidly good, though.
There's things like "Beast Mutagen" and "Bird Mutagen" now. They supposedly greatly increase or guarantee the chance of getting a mutation relating to that catagory.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Galm posted:

There's things like "Beast Mutagen" and "Bird Mutagen" now. They supposedly greatly increase or guarantee the chance of getting a mutation relating to that catagory.
Reeaaally. That's...probably good, ish. Mutations are, or have been, a little too painfully random.

Twenty Drunk Apes
Jun 17, 2012

The mane you say? Please note that this is a pity avatar because even bronies feel sorry for this poster so :effort:.

Slime posted:

It could be a furry on the team who put it in as a joke? v:v:v

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The new vehicle physics are still a joke if you dare try and drive a car that spawned transposed across another one.

Also, I can't seem to find the bedroll and raincatcher craftable in the new GDA.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Galm posted:

Dafuq?

Don't wear that suit in GDA unless you want a serious case of the GBS.

Slime posted:

!!!

Not anymore in GDA.

edit: All fur mutations have been altered to be Scale Plating.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jon93 posted:

!!!

Not anymore in GDA.

edit: All fur mutations have been altered to be Scale Plating.
See, this is seriously just stupid.