Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I found a road map in the office of a motel once that revealed a big chunk of area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Once you find a lab you can hack its computer to map an enormous area out, it's better than road maps because it fills out everything, not just the roads.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gridlocked posted:

Wait wait I just noticed the under-barrel laser sight adds -1 To Hit bonus.

Is negative to hit good?

That's probably the to-hit you would get if you were to run around bashing people with the weapon mod instead of attaching it to a gun. Ranged weapons in cataclysm use "dispersion" instead of to-hit.

e: Dispersion is basically the gun's potential inaccuracy, measured in 60ths of a degree. 0 = perfectly accurate, higher is worse.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 17, 2015

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
I remember someone in this thread, or the LP thread, mentioned that refugee centers are really good places to check out, especially if you have NPCs on. You can actually find out where one is by checking out the console in your evac shelter. This may be only in experimentals or only with certain computer skill level.

And also I've found a road map in cars before.

Foodahn fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 17, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pharmacies can have Road Maps as well. The Lab Terminal protected by a turret is the best since it reveals a HUGE chunk of the map. Of course you have to survive/kill the turret and succeed in hacking it to get that map.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
What's the difference between slapping on spikes at the front of the car and having actual spiked plating?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Blackray Jack posted:

What's the difference between slapping on spikes at the front of the car and having actual spiked plating?

Spiked plating is on a tile with a frame, spikes are just attached to the outside. This is relevant because if you ram something with spikes only the spike takes damage whereas with spiked plating anything else on the same time may be damaged as well.

e: I'm also assuming that if the car is stationary the exterior-mounted spikes are harmless whereas the spiked plating hurts things that punch it, but I'm not positive on that one

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Welp you better mount spikes on your spiked plating just be safe. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ah hah! I found a minifridge in a busted up RV. The RV was really busted up and only the fridge, some curtains, and a floodlight was working. I took them and put them on my ambulance which I have dubbed "First, Do Some Harm."

Now I just need to add a faucet and as many cargo containers as I can fit.

Faucets require an onboard supply of water right? So do you basically just install a water tank and fill it up from other water containers that you fill via funnels or rivers and such using a rubber hose? Cant have an onboard funnel I suppose so thats gotta be the only way?

Also regarding those cargo containers. I notice that my car's mass percentage is at 97% due to all the armor and things I have put on it. Im guessing I wont be able to add much more to the thing? Does that weight limit take into account cargo capacity? Because it would be pointless to have all those cargo containers only to be unable to use them all due to weight issues.... How do I raise the weight limit, if it also counts onboard cargo?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Artificer posted:

Ah hah! I found a minifridge in a busted up RV. The RV was really busted up and only the fridge, some curtains, and a floodlight was working. I took them and put them on my ambulance which I have dubbed "First, Do Some Harm."

Now I just need to add a faucet and as many cargo containers as I can fit.

Faucets require an onboard supply of water right? So do you basically just install a water tank and fill it up from other water containers that you fill via funnels or rivers and such using a rubber hose? Cant have an onboard funnel I suppose so thats gotta be the only way?

Also regarding those cargo containers. I notice that my car's mass percentage is at 97% due to all the armor and things I have put on it. Im guessing I wont be able to add much more to the thing? Does that weight limit take into account cargo capacity? Because it would be pointless to have all those cargo containers only to be unable to use them all due to weight issues.... How do I raise the weight limit, if it also counts onboard cargo?

Water tanks will only store clean water, so you need to purify it before you can put it in a vehicle.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Yeah, you can just mount a water tank wherever. I think I used a 30 gallon tank from an RV for my Post Apoc Hippie Van. Also, water tanks in cars only accept clean water, so you have to purify/boil it before putting it in.

Not sure about the cargo thing, but when in doubt, put a bigger engine in. That said, my Groover van weighs nearly 3 tons at 5750lbs and even with a dinky 2.85L 4-stroke it can still drive up to 69 MPH without stressing/damaging the engine, which is more than enough IMO. My K Dynamics is 58% and my K mass is 90%, whatever those mean.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've gotten pretty decent at starting in the Really Bad Day scenario. I know it's supposed to be hard, but somehow I end up surviving longer with the extra hard start than a regular one. Maybe it's because it's somewhat easy to kite the zombies into the fire, and the noise distracts a lot of them.

But anyway, I had cured myself of my ailments, had quite a bit of gear, was off hunting with a short bow and I got torn apart by a pack of wolves and killed in 2 turns. I suck. Glass Jaw sucks, because I didn't have any head armor yet and they all bit my face off.

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Road maps are most likely to spawn in gas stations, but rarely in other stores. For binoculars you probably want sporting goods or military surplus.

I've also seen maps spawn in motels; in one case, the map was the survivor variety which also showed gun stores and I think also pharmacies.

EDIT: oops, a little too late on this one, I forgot to hit next page :shobon:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, you can just mount a water tank wherever. I think I used a 30 gallon tank from an RV for my Post Apoc Hippie Van. Also, water tanks in cars only accept clean water, so you have to purify/boil it before putting it in.

Not sure about the cargo thing, but when in doubt, put a bigger engine in. That said, my Groover van weighs nearly 3 tons at 5750lbs and even with a dinky 2.85L 4-stroke it can still drive up to 69 MPH without stressing/damaging the engine, which is more than enough IMO. My K Dynamics is 58% and my K mass is 90%, whatever those mean.

Ok cool. Yeah I have two large electric engines in the chassis and I have 169~ mph "safe" max speed. I dont recall my K dynamics but my mass percentage was at 97% which is why I was worried. I have literally every piece armored with military composite or spiked steel plating which is probably why. I would like to be able to use all of my cargo space thank you very much. Hell I havent even put on a faucet and a cargo carrier on every tile yet! If it doesnt take into account the items you put into your cargo then it probably won't be an issue even with a faucet and couple of cargo containers added to it....

I wonder if I can find bigger electric engines? All I've seen are generic engined and generic large engines as far as electronic ones go. And what is an alternator and why cant I install it on my car after I stripped out the gas engine?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 17, 2015

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
EDIT: Never mind, I'm an idiot. So I'll ask this: Can you mix and match power armor and helmets? Like say wear heavy power armor and wearing a basic power helmet?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Biggest electric engine is a Large. Alternators convert an engine's mechanical energy into electrical energy to run your electronics and charge your battery while it's running.
They can't be mounted on electric motor engines because those engines don't use the piston & crankshaft that are required for alternators to work. (Plus you just waste energy converting it to itself.)

HoratioRash
Nov 20, 2012

I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

What the bloody hell is that and how do I fix it?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

VStraken posted:

I've also seen maps spawn in motels; in one case, the map was the survivor variety which also showed gun stores and I think also pharmacies.

EDIT: oops, a little too late on this one, I forgot to hit next page :shobon:

Cars can spawn maps on one of the seats too.

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Biggest electric engine is a Large. Alternators convert an engine's mechanical energy into electrical energy to run your electronics and charge your battery while it's running.
They can't be mounted on electric motor engines because those engines don't use the piston & crankshaft that are required for alternators to work. (Plus you just waste energy converting it to itself.)

I believe there's also an enhanced electric engine that you can find in electric sports cars.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

CheeseThief posted:

I believe there's also an enhanced electric engine that you can find in electric sports cars.

I'm not sure the stable build has these, but that does sound pretty boss.

Not that it matters much. My in-progress mobile oppression palace is several tons of steel and composite armor, and the three large electric engines in it are probably way too much as it is; it has beastly acceleration, a 'safe' speed of 197 mph (which I'm pretty sure would instantly paste me if I hit anything at that speed, although the 'Solarbeast' as it has been dubbed would probably just continue merrily trucking through buildings and trees until it fell in a river or something), and a 'max' speed of 559 mph, although I suspect the engines would probably collectively blow like a mininuke before reaching that point. Those numbers will go down once I finish loading it up with more rollers and rams and armor, of course...at least until I slap a couple more engines in it.

The ease of grinding the Mechanics skill leads to some silliness. I've actually been thinking about putting together a remote-control demolishing rig for semi-safely busting down secure areas, but most things are handled pretty readily by fire and guns, so I haven't really felt the urge to yet.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I've actually been thinking about putting together a remote-control demolishing rig for semi-safely busting down secure areas, but most things are handled pretty readily by fire and guns, so I haven't really felt the urge to yet.

Now there's a thought, I'd thought about sticking a radio pipebomb to an RC car to clear out some turrets, but I could just go whole-hog and put together a remote gun drone or remote steamroller. I have no idea if the turrets would target a driverless car.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I just had an amazing start as a Mall Cop in a Mall.

There must be a giant ant's nest outside as I have ants invading the mall and zombies fighting them off.

Ants VS Zombies is real.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Anyone know if the weirdness in these wooden walls is fixable? I wanted to build my very own hermit cabin but the walls are going weird on me. It only seems to happen with the ChestHole tileset.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Whoever said you can deal with lab turrets by walking in the dark with night vision is full of poo poo. All the turrets I've found are in rooms with active consoles that give them enough light to see me from the door. :mad:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Gridlocked posted:

I just had an amazing start as a Mall Cop in a Mall.

There must be a giant ant's nest outside as I have ants invading the mall and zombies fighting them off.

Ants VS Zombies is real.

Congratulations on your literally infinite supply of meat, stomachs, and chitin.

President Ark posted:

Whoever said you can deal with lab turrets by walking in the dark with night vision is full of poo poo. All the turrets I've found are in rooms with active consoles that give them enough light to see me from the door. :mad:

The light from those consoles is pretty limited, but it's true that the visible darkness is very deceptive and the turrets can "see" you when you wouldn't expect them to. Always open doors from a diagonal angle and use shift-X to peek through them, and if there's a turret, immediately close them and mark them somehow (I like to drop a tainted bone, or something similarly useless but easily-portable, in front) and never open them again.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

The light from those consoles is pretty limited, but it's true that the visible darkness is very deceptive and the turrets can "see" you when you wouldn't expect them to. Always open doors from a diagonal angle and use shift-X to peek through them, and if there's a turret, immediately close them and mark them somehow (I like to drop a tainted bone, or something similarly useless but easily-portable, in front) and never open them again.

I actually have nearly enough armor now to just thug through their shooting (they can only really damage my arms), I'm mostly just annoyed that someone gave me bad info. :mad:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The light from those consoles is pretty limited, but it's true that the visible darkness is very deceptive and the turrets can "see" you when you wouldn't expect them to.

I have never known this to be true, I've danced around turrets at the edge of their light radius many times without any issue. Just keep in mind that you have to turn off all of your own light sources or it won't matter, and that if your night vision is active you won't necessarily be able to see the difference between lit tiles and ones revealed by night vision. (You can temporarily disable it in the [ menu, though.)

Also, while mil-spec turrets remain death machines basically forever, the crappy SMG turrets you see in labs can be rendered almost completely harmless with a heavy survivor suit + helmet. You can walk right up to them and often not take any damage at all as the bullets just bounce off your armor.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, if you have night vision on, that's probably the problem. Consoles only put out light one or two tiles away; the turrets themselves put out light out to something like five or six tiles away. They're usually very easy to work around; you can usually see where they've lit up the walls from outside the room, estimate where they are, open the door from a safe angle (if there is one), step back to see how far out they light up the hallway, and either stand in the dark to shoot them or safely close the door again without incident if they're too close and lighting up your approach.

As long as you don't confuse the turrets' light range with your own sight radius and you don't have any lights on, turrets are usually trivial to avoid or cheese in the dark.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
EDIT: Nevermind, I'm such an idiot. Argh!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm setting up a crafting room, can you use items even if you can't see them? Say if they're in a cupboard? I hate the item spam when I look around the room and that seems to be the solution.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

HoratioRash posted:

What the bloody hell is that and how do I fix it?

Have you tried editing the options.txt file to change TERMINAL_X and TERMINAL_Y to less tiny values? It might be that there's not enough space to display those options.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I'm setting up a crafting room, can you use items even if you can't see them? Say if they're in a cupboard? I hate the item spam when I look around the room and that seems to be the solution.

Yeah, should work fine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

girth brooks part 2 posted:

Yeah, should work fine.

Perfect, as an added bonus cupboards require less materials and it'll get me to 5 construction. Another question: I found a house with a basement that has dirt tiles in there (along with cannabis), will plant growing work down there?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I just plowed through a Mi-Go and two Krecks at 80 mph and kept on trucking. What a beautiful game this is.

Edit: I found a crater that has level 2 radiation and a lot of rocky rubble. Is there anything nice in the rubble maybe? The place probably exploded/got nuked for a good reason.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 18, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Only one way to find out, grab a shovel and star diggin! :getin:

Might want to grab a HAZMAT suit or craft some STALKER Survivor Armor before you do though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only one way to find out, grab a shovel and star diggin! :getin:

Might want to grab a HAZMAT suit or craft some STALKER Survivor Armor before you do though.

I have a light survivor suit, and light mask and hood on. I didnt know those protected against radiation?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Survivor armor has an Environmental Protection of 10, that is decent radiation protection, but not immunity. Don't spend too long in that crater. Also, you'll need gloves and boots with similar protection or it is (AFAIK) wasted against radiation.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Hey thread, I suddenly got a -1 to both STR and DEX, a -10% speed reduction, and I'm feeling nasueous. I'm not irradiated according to my bio-monitor, so any ideas on what I have?

Also, how do I use Medisoft? Do I need a PDA or what?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you don't have an infected zombie bite, you might have a parasite. Been eating uncooked meat or unpurified water? Try to find some anti-parasite drugs, or if you can get your cooking skill up to 6, you can make your own out of bleach, aspirin, vitamins, and those little white flowers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It might be one of the hidden diseases -- parasitic or fungal infections are anonymous until very late in their development. Try antiparasitic or antifungal drugs if you want to rule those out, or just pop a royal jelly which should zap just about anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
If you're not burping up fungus spores and tasting mushrooms, it's probably a parasite that is in your body, there are several options, targeted medicines salvaged from bathrooms, hospitals, pharmacies, or maybe some royal jelly though giant hives have not been nearly as common as they used to bee. If you ARE burping up fungus spores and taste mushrooms, get yourself to hardware stores or places that might have medicine immediately and hunt for antifungal drugs or powder on the double. If you can't find any, some oxidizer powder and a chemistry book might be helpful. If you can't take care of a fungal infection then I hope you have a completely cleared out safe zone with food and supplies that you can make use of while you try and deal with the after effects of a fungal infection (it's not pretty).

Or maybe it's that tetanus thing that people were complaining about a lot in an earlier experimental. Antibiotics might be the answer there.