Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Illegal Username posted:

Ok, someone spoiler me where i need to take Military Black Boxes? I tried labs and military outposts/bunkers but didn't find anything relevant.

There's a specific room that can spawn in the Science Labs that have a console, a blue tile, and some radio emitter towers in a glass enclosure. You can set the box down on the tile, hack the console, and get the equipment to decrypt the black box and give you a printed report. The only issue seems to be that this may or may not actually do anything in the stable version; from what I read, actually getting some kind of information out of it requires either an NPC quest or an experimental game version (or, maybe, only some black boxes have anything worthwhile?). I know the two boxes I scanned just gave me the generic readable 'report' items that stacked together and didn't appear to be useful for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate how getting an infected wound is usually a death sentence. Is it a bug or a feature that disinfectant doesn't actually disinfect unless you use a first aid kit. Is that a feature of high first aid skill or something. Also, antibiotics usually works, of course, but it's a crap shoot having that actually spawn before you die.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

dylguy90 posted:

You are actually the best. Gonna try this out tonight and report back ❤️

I'm gonna do dumb kung fu in a wolf suit, I hope it makes you grumpy.

Larry Parrish posted:

I hate how getting an infected wound is usually a death sentence. Is it a bug or a feature that disinfectant doesn't actually disinfect unless you use a first aid kit. Is that a feature of high first aid skill or something. Also, antibiotics usually works, of course, but it's a crap shoot having that actually spawn before you die.

Disinfectant is for fresh bites, infected wounds are bad poo poo that need antibiotics or first aid kits. It's kind of lovely that the game makes it sound like you might be able to disinfect an infected wound, the failure message should be more decisive.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm gonna do dumb kung fu in a wolf suit, I hope it makes you grumpy.

Please don't and it will.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Illegal Username posted:

Ok, someone spoiler me where i need to take Military Black Boxes? I tried labs and military outposts/bunkers but didn't find anything relevant.

This character is already pretty much immortal and i wanna check that out before mutating myself beyond recognition.

edit:

Muay Thai is not weeaboo poo poo. It is the proper way to knee motherfuckers in the face :argh:

I think the decryptor thing in the lab basements is where you need to take the black boxes. Maybe. I agree that Muy Thai is definitely not weaboo, I may have been a bit overzealous in pursuing half the joke there.

Larry Parrish posted:

You can cauterize a wound if you have a heat source and a metal item with the cutting trait. Of course, this is incredibly painful and because the community for Cataclysm are bunch of people who actively confuse malevolence and RNG with meaningful choices and difficulty respectively, it has about a 30% chance of making your infection in that area progress faster.

Wales Grey fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Am I still allowed to use my giant german crossbow or is that also considered weeaboo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Shady Amish Terror posted:

There's a specific room that can spawn in the Science Labs that have a console, a blue tile, and some radio emitter towers in a glass enclosure. You can set the box down on the tile, hack the console, and get the equipment to decrypt the black box and give you a printed report. The only issue seems to be that this may or may not actually do anything in the stable version; from what I read, actually getting some kind of information out of it requires either an NPC quest or an experimental game version (or, maybe, only some black boxes have anything worthwhile?). I know the two boxes I scanned just gave me the generic readable 'report' items that stacked together and didn't appear to be useful for anything.

I decrypted nine black boxes, read all the reports, and hosed around with the console and nothing came of it at all. Assuming the black boxes do anything at all, it must be very rare to find one with the necessary flight information in it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wales Grey posted:

Just for you, I've made a pair of mods that remove all the Weaboo and Furry crap. Just create a folder for each in your Cataclysm mods folder, named whatever you like, and save the text file as "modinfo.json". Just be aware that you can still start with Ninjitsu and other weaboo martial arts and get trained by NPCs in martial arts, as I'm still working out how to blacklist mutations.

You missed the cat ears and collars.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I just made the fusion blaster rifle and holy poo poo :stare::hf::black101:

e: ahaha I'm in constant pain from all the hearing damage I'm causing myself

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just made the fusion blaster rifle and holy poo poo :stare::hf::black101:

e: ahaha I'm in constant pain from all the hearing damage I'm causing myself

Is that made with the Fusion Hand Cannon CBM? I turned mine into a turbolaser turret for my car.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Artificer posted:

Is that made with the Fusion Hand Cannon CBM? I turned mine into a turbolaser turret for my car.

Yeah it is, and you missed out. If you have the internal UPS bionic it's basically an infinite-ammo laser bazooka. Starts a shitload of fires though. I have a second fusion cannon CBM, so I can do both!

I found a jacqueshammer in a lab. It's exactly like a jackhammer, except its description is in French and the noise it makes when you use it on walls is OHOHOHOHOHOHOHO :doh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

You know, I think I have TWO fusion arm blasters sitting in the back of my Groover...

*boots Cataclysm*

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You missed the cat ears and collars.

Cat Ears are a respected and long-standing element of western vaudeville and burlesque dancing, sir. Collars are likewise part of a number of different subcultures.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah it is, and you missed out. If you have the internal UPS bionic it's basically an infinite-ammo laser bazooka. Starts a shitload of fires though. I have a second fusion cannon CBM, so I can do both!

I found a jacqueshammer in a lab. It's exactly like a jackhammer, except its description is in French and the noise it makes when you use it on walls is OHOHOHOHOHOHOHO :doh:

Oh really? Well poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

One unwanted bionic pulled out of the bin (cause seriously, gently caress chopping an arm off!), one two by four, a spare stock, pistol grip, sights, and a bit of tweaking with a soldering iron and gunsmithing kit and viola!

And only 4 bionic energy a shot you say? Oh this should be fun to use. :getin: *tosses LACP laser pistol in the bin* Too bad it doesn't fit in a holster, but neither did the laser pistol. Maybe I should make a back holster for it, since it can't take a shoulder strap for some dumb reason.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Maybe I should make a back holster for it, since it can't take a shoulder strap for some dumb reason.

It doesn't take accessories, that's why it can't use the strap.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo that range. gently caress I'm regretting the turbolaser. Oh well at least it sounds cool.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wales Grey posted:

It doesn't take accessories, that's why it can't use the strap.

Yes, I know that. I mean its dumb it doesn't have an accessory slot for a strap.

Also, that "24" damage is deceptive. That must just be the direct impact damage, the resulting explosion seems to do more damage. Only downside is the explosion and resulting fire obviously doesn't leave much of the zombie left to loot, then again I'm at a point where they don't have much to offer me! [edit] Also obviously not an "indoors" weapon.

[edit] Oh and that range is nothing, my modified Sniper FAL can reach like 60-70 tiles out. :golgo:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 18, 2015

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Holy poo poo I just drove past a pack of wolves, and my laser went BEEP BEEP and absolutely annihilated the entire pack in a few shots.

Edit: RIP Roadblock lmao.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 18, 2015

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Wales Grey posted:

Just for you, I've made a pair of mods that remove all the Weaboo and Furry crap. Just create a folder for each in your Cataclysm mods folder, named whatever you like, and save the text file as "modinfo.json". Just be aware that you can still start with Ninjitsu and other weaboo martial arts and get trained by NPCs in martial arts, as I'm still working out how to blacklist mutations.

Alright, I consoladated both into one and made the following changes:
Added to Blacklist: Fedora, Leather Collars (cat ears + fur collar don't seem to exist when I tried making the mod)
Removed from Blacklist: Judo, Muay Thai, Karate, Tai Kwan Do, Penjak Silat, and Ninjitsu Manuals
Tested and game starts fine, no more debug errors.

Get it here:
http://pastebin.com/am8Jjtc1

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 19, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

For some reason lately I've been musing about adding more car variety. Stuff like White panel vans (and commuter variants), commercial work pickups (the kind with the bed replaced with large storage lockers with a smaller bed inside), busses, and stuff like that.

I can't be bothered to learn how to make cars though :effort:.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

I decrypted nine black boxes, read all the reports, and hosed around with the console and nothing came of it at all. Assuming the black boxes do anything at all, it must be very rare to find one with the necessary flight information in it.

I think the only use I can find for black boxes is to print out piles of flight logs and tear them up into paper. If it wasn't for the fact that you probably aren't going to get a black box inside a locked lab start (much less the computer skill to hack the terminal) you could, with a leaky water room, chow down on paper and boil water and live out your days as a bibliovore.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The idea of going to a Hell dimension is great, and I'm entirely on board with it if there's still ways to survive and thrive in the pit. Unique loot, slowly replacing bits of your car with Horrible Things..

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Larry Parrish posted:

Infection is actually less deadly than it used to be -- it used to have a 100% guaranteed death, now it's a 15% chance to survive that can be improved further by your hidden health stat and by the Infection Resistant trait, and I think they might have increased the incubation and mortality times as well.

Anyways, disinfectant works on bites, but never on infected wounds. Any time you're fighting zombies (but not yet completely encased in kevlar) you should be checking yourself for bites and fixing them before they get infected. You don't even need medicine necessarily, you can just cauterize the bite until you get the "you clean the wound" message or it turns infected.

For infected wounds, you have 24 hours to apply a first aid kit (plenty of time to craft one from scratch if you have the skill, the components aren't rare) or the consume antibiotics (not guaranteed, but they come in stacks of 15 and have a 33% chance each so you'd have to be staggeringly unlucky or almost out for them not to work.)

nftyw posted:

I think the only use I can find for black boxes is to print out piles of flight logs and tear them up into paper. If it wasn't for the fact that you probably aren't going to get a black box inside a locked lab start (much less the computer skill to hack the terminal) you could, with a leaky water room, chow down on paper and boil water and live out your days as a bibliovore.

There's a rare crafting recipe that can (only?) be found in the printout of a black box. My last character got it on his second try, my current one's gone through four and still hasn't found it. (I don't even remember exactly what it is, to be honest -- possibly something relating to mininukes?)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 19, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you're talking about the spring-loaded mininuke launcher, I found that recipe just lying around in a lab, so if you can get that from black boxes, it's not the only place.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I know it's something really specific and just the one recipe, but the item browser has been on the fritz all day.

edit: Found it! It's not the mininuke, it's the atomic battery mod.

http://cdda.estilofusion.com/recipe_atomic_battery

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mzbundifund posted:

Am I still allowed to use my giant german crossbow or is that also considered weeaboo

That's not weeaboo, but have you heard of the Chinese Chu-ko-nu?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
Where should I be looking for CBMs if I want to start walking the path towards cyborg badassdom?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Circutron posted:

Where should I be looking for CBMs if I want to start walking the path towards cyborg badassdom?

Shocker corpses and electronic stores are a good place to start. Science Labs can have tons of CBM's in them if you feel ready for it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Circutron posted:

Dig up all the metal wreckage you see, kill and butcher every shocker zombie, shocker brute, zombie technician, zombie scientist, and zombie bio-operator you see, check out every electronics store you see, and explore every lab you see. If you don't die in a lab somewhere or get murdered by high-level zombies, you should end up with plenty of decent CBMs after a while. The fastest route to cybernetic godhood is raiding bionics labs, but for that you need science ID cards (not TOO rare, they can show up on random clusters of corpses out in the wild) or a way to hack or break into the lab. I think hacking or breaking in might spawn turrets, though.

Labs can be really dangerous, so be prepared. Wear lots of strong armour - enough to sustain a burst of 9mm gunfire at close range without taking a meaningful amount of damage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Heavy Survivor Armor + Heavy Survivor Helmet is my go-to lab gear, the rest to taste. If you're brave and a good shot you can just bring a powerful rifle and shoot the turrets the turn you see them, they rarely get to fire first. (Not "never," though, so you'll still want to be able to soak at least one hit.)

Also when you start lab raiding check the temperature first, if it's a cold lab then just bug out and go somewhere else. Cold labs will kill you, because the speed penalty makes the already dangerous stuff in them exponentially more so. Later on if you want to come back with winter survivor gear and (ideally) a temperature-regulating CBM, but if they go more than two or three floors deep even that won't help much.

(My latest game spawned a cold lab six floors deep and I still hadn't found the finale -- meaning it could have been deeper and I just ran into a dead end -- when I gave up and went back. poo poo was -160 below comfortable temperatures with the bionic and bundled up like an arctic explorer and a down blanket that I only took off to fight over the top.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 19, 2015

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
I actually only recently discovered the power of armor against guns. ANBC suit vs lab turrets saw me taking no damage from about half the bullets that hit and up to 3 damage on the other half of the hits. Then I wandered into a brute enclosure and lost it when I was punched through it's window. I'd like to just state for the record that's it's bug gently caress stupid that brutes can't punch through those windows themselves but can send you flying through one and sailing another couple tiles on top of it.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

What should I have before installing bionics in terms of skills (so that I don't die a horrible death)?

I currently have 21 Mechanics, 8 Electronics, and 8 First Aid, but I just want to make sure before I do anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grimman007 posted:

What should I have before installing bionics in terms of skills (so that I don't die a horrible death)?

I currently have 21 Mechanics, 8 Electronics, and 8 First Aid, but I just want to make sure before I do anything.

Never install anything with a chance of failure above 20%. That's the threshold where a botched attempt can potentially destroy already-installed bionics. Below that, the only thing you risk is bodily harm and destroying the bionic itself, so the only thing you have to answer to is how hard you'll kick yourself if you install something super-rare and it doesn't take.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

Dig up all the metal wreckage you see, kill and butcher every shocker zombie, shocker brute, zombie technician, zombie scientist, and zombie bio-operator you see, check out every electronics store you see, and explore every lab you see. If you don't die in a lab somewhere or get murdered by high-level zombies, you should end up with plenty of decent CBMs after a while. The fastest route to cybernetic godhood is raiding bionics labs, but for that you need science ID cards (not TOO rare, they can show up on random clusters of corpses out in the wild) or a way to hack or break into the lab. I think hacking or breaking in might spawn turrets, though.

Labs can be really dangerous, so be prepared. Wear lots of strong armour - enough to sustain a burst of 9mm gunfire at close range without taking a meaningful amount of damage.

I think getting into a lab with a keycard just despawns the turrets on the ground level, which is pretty much nothing since they're off in the side rooms anyway. Grab a homewrecker/a bundle of C4 and let loose! Or just burn through the door with an acetylene torch. Acetylene torches, explosives and fire pretty much solve everything in Cataclysm :v:

As for turrets, yeah, that and a strong gun that can kill them in one hit are a must (anything in .308 and shotguns will definitely do the trick). And don't even try doing this with military bunkers - the military grade turrets can and will tear a character that can tank regular ones all day to ribbons.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

How do I navigate the bionics menu? I know I saw it somewhere before, but for the life of me I can't remember it...

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I got a bit too big for my boots on a really really successful Mall Cop run.

I was running around with a Fire Axe, Ceramic plated vest and every piece of clothing I had was decked out in Kevlar and Leather. I found a supply drop and opened a crate to find 3 nades and 2 C4 charges. I decided I'd see if the C4 could blow open doors on a bunker, turns out it can but the turrents behind the doors tore me to bits :(

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
People whining about fursuits instead of eating them for robot fuel are massive babies.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

^people whining about people whining about fursuits :allears:

Ugh.

Finally got a really bad day character healed, kitted out in basic leather + trenchcoat, basic skills, food stockpile in a shelter, the works.

See a survivor with a 9mm, he turns hostile but keeps shooting zombies. I pop an adderall and run up to him. Feeling confident with 130 speed and my cudgel. Get 1 tile away and he shoots me once in the chest, instakilling me.

Ughhhhhhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
People whining about people whining about people whining.

At least you got killed by Indiana Jones.