Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Angry Diplomat posted:

Or even kludge in a conditional check that fires when a creature tries to enter a vehicle tile from outside the vehicle, manually checks whether that tile has any edges or corners not surrounded by other tiles of the vehicle in its design, and blocks the movement if it doesn't. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would probably prevent like 95% of the weird vehicle-phasing shenanigans that occur.

or say you can only enter a vehicle from outside when you're moving into an open door/window, bare frame, or broken structure

then add something for bicycle/motorcycle seats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Evilreaver posted:

an endgame

eyyyyy

i'd be a lot more likely to accept bad stats or weird starts if there was some sort of end game i could build toward. as it stands the end game is to get a lot of stuff and then get bored, which actually is fine insofar as it kept me interested long enough to develop a love for this game, but it does mean you have poo poo like "anything less than optimal stats is unacceptable" because it makes that goal take geometrically longer.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Greader posted:

In regards to stats chat, one idea I had which I wonder if it would fix things is a mix of that mod and how it works now. Basically have stats up to a certain threshhold be raisable by skill increases or some other way that is doable for players in the early to midgame, and then once they reach a sort of "natural peak" you would have to search for CBMs and mutations to increase it further. That way you would avoid the problem of being unable to drag bookshelves around while also avoiding the problem of becoming the Hulk because you read enough magazines about how to take a tire off.

the real issue is that if you, say, start everyone out at 8 in every stat and then have various Events that give you +1 to the stat or whatever, the game just becomes an event hunter until you've knocked them all out because stat gains are more important than nearly anything else you could be doing until you have them

like think about a "if you punch a punching bag 100 times, you get +1 str" thing - why NOT beeline to a punching bag and then hit it 100 times? it's tedious by design

better to just say that people start out as Normal People but with a few traits, some of which might be being extra strong. say, there's a bunch of Extra Stat traits that give an equivalent of +2 to the stat, and the existing things (like trap detection) are balanced out assuming everyone is at 8 across the board. then you can say I'm A Strong Person and the mutations are meaningful, but you don't have to worry about stat application at char creation or going through makework to increase it through the game (until you get to mutation roulette, at least)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the stat thing is eminently solvable if you just make the +2 passive stat mods stackable the same way power storage mods are, up to a certain stat level (let's say 14 for the sake of argument)

so the biggest difference between someone who starts at 6 str and 10 str, in the longest term look at things is that the former needs 4 mods to softcap strength and the latter needs 2. if you want to get more stats from there you have to mutate. the mods are not that common and they're almost entirely exclusive to labs, which are among the most dangerous places in the game right now, so i feel like it solves the problem neatly without doing anything crazy.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Stat growth same as skill growth: as used, slows down as numbers get higher, rusts with disuse. Increasing rust speed puts a soft cap on stats, mutations and implants don't count against you.

This also essentially demands the "no hard limits/requirements" fix from earlier.

Also I would quadruple stat and skill gains up to your record highest level, ie if you get level 10 mechanics and it rusts down to 8, each exp point used on mech is quadrupled until you're at 10 again. You retain recipes and abilities granted by high levels (if any exist), you just work at the lower speed/effectivity until you are back up to speed.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Coolguye posted:

so the biggest difference between someone who starts at 6 str and 10 str,

i still hate this, since it's just newbie bait

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Stat growth same as skill growth: as used, slows down as numbers get higher, rusts with disuse. Increasing rust speed puts a soft cap on stats, mutations and implants don't count against you.
all of the kinds of rust in this game are pretty obnoxious so i'd be wary of any mechanic that involved rust

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm a skill rust apologist, I think it could be made into a good mechanic with some thought and polish :shobon:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yea for sure, i'm just saying i'd need some convincing

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm solidly anti-skill rust but pro-actual physical rust.

Put rust monsters in the game.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

reignofevil posted:

Fix zombies getting into cars when they are pointed diagonally.

You mean you don't appreciate the feature of having a 5 dimensional car

Greader
Oct 11, 2012

mormonpartyboat posted:

the real issue is that if you, say, start everyone out at 8 in every stat and then have various Events that give you +1 to the stat or whatever, the game just becomes an event hunter until you've knocked them all out because stat gains are more important than nearly anything else you could be doing until you have them

like think about a "if you punch a punching bag 100 times, you get +1 str" thing - why NOT beeline to a punching bag and then hit it 100 times? it's tedious by design

better to just say that people start out as Normal People but with a few traits, some of which might be being extra strong. say, there's a bunch of Extra Stat traits that give an equivalent of +2 to the stat, and the existing things (like trap detection) are balanced out assuming everyone is at 8 across the board. then you can say I'm A Strong Person and the mutations are meaningful, but you don't have to worry about stat application at char creation or going through makework to increase it through the game (until you get to mutation roulette, at least)

Yeah, that's absolutely fair. Besides, my worry about a cap that stats can be raised to before hitting a peak is that with the way the game is going, said peak would be at some stupid level of just low enough where you can't do a bunch of neat poo poo/it gets annoying. Maybe removing the stat system itself and having perks that can be gained for bonuses to learning/accuracy/hitting poo poo would be a better solution like you suggested.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I know this thread is pretty dead but the new hunger system is the pinnacle of realism over game play or fun. Now food or drink you eat slowly travels through your character and you are unable to eat or drink too much at any one time. It is hilarious and stupid.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Holy crap I didn't know it could get any more dumb. :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
God bless this game.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

How long before the community counterattacks with a mod enabling SS13 levels of poo-terrorism?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Nothing quite like it

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
luv to realistically simulate biological processes in my game about human corpses being animated by splinters of a literal god from another dimension

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't agree with the design decision but is it actually a big gameplay hindrance not being able to choke down a whole turkey in one sitting? Like how much does this actually impact play?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

It mildly to moderately impacts play but 100% of the impact is sheer pointless annoying tedium.

Peachfart posted:

I know this thread is pretty dead but the new hunger system is the pinnacle of realism over game play or fun. Now food or drink you eat slowly travels through your character and you are unable to eat or drink too much at any one time. It is hilarious and stupid.

Not only that, something about the way they implemented it hosed up portioning and you seemingly have to slam like 3 litres of water/half a dozen sausages to go from "very hungry/thirsty" to vaguely satisfied.

Compared to older versions, the current build requires you to spend a baffling amount of time micromanaging the simple act of consuming food and drink. It's probably not going to be a deal-breaker if you like the game anyway, but considering it adds literally nothing, not even any kind of hamfisted overture towards "balance" or "challenge," I'm fairly comfortable calling it a dumb, bad, and unfun change. This loving devteam, man :psyduck:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Speaking of dumb changes to the food system it is generally better to go run over a zombie child and eat his powdered candy stick than it is to work hard and try to grow crops to survive.

I challenge anyone in support of this to try and fill up on powdered candy stick.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Yeah, they coded in a nutrition system that punished / rewarded you for eating junk / healthy but it wasn't working right so they added in a default to on mod that disables it. Why not fix that instead?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the thing is that Cataclysm doesn't really have a "dev team". It has a bunch of random open source coders with their own ideas about how the game works and then a couple of admins that decide whether or not an addition goes in the main branch. So you get a lot of weird inconsistencies because of people who decide no, MY way of doing this is better, or people who just plain don't know about an existing system, or don't want to bother trying to figure it out to make changes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ostensibly the repo owner is supposed to gatekeep that but we're all aware at this point exactly how big of a loving idiot that guy is right now

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Kevin Granade is an rear end in a top hat.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Are there builds available from before all these shenanigans happened or did you have to be lucky enough to save a copy before everything changed? Also it sounds like somebody played unreal world and thought the stomach filling system in that game was a good idea.

I've always wanted to fix food by attaching it to morale and having more complex cooking increase morale more than just peanut butter between two pieces of flatbread. If I were the lead on this project I would turn this into a zombie game where you can do your own silly things as well as make it a quest for gourmet food in post-apocalypse.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's a public Github, so you can download any build you want or even fork it and make your own build with the specific PRs you want.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, their little barebones release website has tons of experimental/unstable releases available for download, going back a little ways. I'm pretty sure it just draws those directly from the github, so I'd bet you can grab just about any specific experimental release you want, if you're willing to dig for it.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
They made eating food a pain alongside keeping food a pain, a sealed jar of pickles shouldn't be able to rot just because it froze once and a loving egg shouldnt be able to be labeled "mushy and tasteless", its a loving egg.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Oh agreed, the 'thaw' system is also dumb.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Peachfart posted:

Oh agreed, the 'thaw' system is also dumb.

It's extra stupid and it's one of the many reasons I hate the CDDA discord and subreddit, you can't talk about any mechanic you think is stupid without catching immediate downvotes or half the chat ganging up on you while singing the dev's praises. Freezing food is supposed to allow it to keep for a long while (or at least until you find it in the back of your freezer and toss it out) not make it inedible until it thaws into another inedible state.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Well if you don't like it, why don't you join the github and make changes you want? :smug::smug::smug:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

AppleDan posted:

It's extra stupid and it's one of the many reasons I hate the CDDA discord and subreddit, you can't talk about any mechanic you think is stupid without catching immediate downvotes or half the chat ganging up on you while singing the dev's praises. Freezing food is supposed to allow it to keep for a long while (or at least until you find it in the back of your freezer and toss it out) not make it inedible until it thaws into another inedible state.
To be entirely fair, not all foods turn "mushy" when unfrozen, mostly just ones that don't freeze well in real life. For instance, frozen eggs really do change quite noticeably; the consistency of the yolk turns very thick and syrupy and it won't really blend anymore. Likewise plenty of egg-based foods (e.g. mayonnaise) don't freeze well. The ice crystals that form during freezing can damage a lot of foods and change them for the worse in terms of both taste and consistency.
That's not to say any of these things make for fun gameplay, of course. Just because something is realistic or even just attempting realism, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to put it in your game.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Wasn't there someone named Coolthulu making/maintaining a fork with less of the tedious realism crap? How is that going along?

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

Yeah but did it loving rot immediately afterwards? Absolutely not, and in a zombo apocalypse you will eat that syrupy egg.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

queserasera posted:

Are there builds available from before all these shenanigans happened or did you have to be lucky enough to save a copy before everything changed? Also it sounds like somebody played unreal world and thought the stomach filling system in that game was a good idea.

I've always wanted to fix food by attaching it to morale and having more complex cooking increase morale more than just peanut butter between two pieces of flatbread. If I were the lead on this project I would turn this into a zombie game where you can do your own silly things as well as make it a quest for gourmet food in post-apocalypse.
The nutrition mechanic in Unreal World is a good idea but there's several key differences:
You usually only have a few different stacks of food, and food recipes are useful consolidation than nutrition inventing or nutrition mandatory. Eating is as simple as cramming it in
Food has different nutrition density but it only matters if you are recovering from starvation or doing constant manual labor and causes cool stuff like ravenously eating that beautiful beautiful pike after subsistence rations of wild vegetables.
Unreal world is not a game about raiding future tech laboratories to turn into JC Denton then build a 200mph car tank to drop a nuclear bomb next to a transdimensional monsters hive.

URW has barebones nutrition that is probably a little more than Cataclysm even needs but again it's another case of making GBS threads or getting off the pot at being a dungeon based roguelike or a survival game. It's so bad at survival compared to URW I'm still not sure why it's even trying.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
But if we don't focus on boring minutiae that doesn't make the game more fun, or retooling the crafting interface for the tenth time, we might have to finally make new content or address the utter lack of endgame.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

FEATURE REQUEST: eggs delicious at all times

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

It's already a feature of real life! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

RabidWeasel posted:

It's already a feature of real life! :)