Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

speaking of helicopters

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/33829

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*rise of the valkyries in kazoos*

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Day 4

Finally got some reprieve from the hordes. Maybe I can finally start digging pits.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Day 75: it takes how many wood panels to make half a shack?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Dareon posted:

Day 75: it takes how many wood panels to make half a shack?

Just be happy that wood construction hasn't been hit with the realism hammer yet. Imagine having to debark, saw, kiln dry, joint, glue, and plane in order to make 1 panel.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.

Nevets posted:

debark, saw, kiln dry, joint, glue, and plane
you forgot "grow your own tree first", y'see cos the existing trees are uhhh... diseased. yes.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
Hope you have a respirator or enjoy your Type I Fibrosis from inhaling wood dust.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I found a functioning flatbed and brought it to a lumbermill I cleared out and started loading up. Just because a flatbed truck CAN have over 3 thousand pounds of planks, nails and wooden frames doesn't mean it WILL move.

The NPC and camp stuff is pretty neat and something I'm really enjoying. I can bring a few NPCs with tools into an emptied out building, mark the entire building to deconstruct then mark the flatbed as a storage zone and have them go to town. Hoping that later on they'll let us send multiple NPCs onto a construction project to speed things up. Was a little irate when I built a shack and it was a single corner of a shack. For 3 days of work. I'm gonna assume its 3 days per corner of a house so 12 days and a bunch of food. Though, can't really complain about that last bit. The player can't eat a bunch of candy and other junk food without consequences, but the NPCs don't! After looting all the candy off the zombies in my last picture I got like 30k kcal throwing it into the food pile :v:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

My go-to deathmobile is 5x10, all HD frame/steel plate, and weighs around 40k lbs with a full load of cargo. A V8 engine will work but it needs a V12 and/or an enhanced electric motor to get past the “0-60: yes” point.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I usually run two V8s, easier to get. One diesel and one petrol.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Mine is 7x7 not counting the rams, initially based off an atomic SUV. It's still only using its single large electric motor because I've been kinda focused on actual base building rather than mobile base building.

At the moment it's parked beside my camp bulletin board acting as an emplaced crafting and sleeping spot while I take a modified atomic compact (more cargo space, solar panels, boat hulls, and an auto-turret mounting a UPS rifle) into town and dismantle literally every table.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The fanciest “death mobile“ I ever had was slightly armored VW Type-1 Bus with a ram plow in the front and a turreted M249 I ripped off a wrecked Humvee.

Probably inadequate for extremely dangerous stuff but I never really took it into combat as opposed to parking it at the edge of town and biking in on looting runs.

I miss the “Goover”.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 6, 2020

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I just hollowed out one of those atomic main battle tanks, kept the main gun and basically had enough room for all the crafting systems and the like.

Anything trying to gently caress with me got a HEAT round to the face.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I’m running 4x M249s with turret control units and 1x M2 that I fire by hand. The M249s are usually off (manual) but rolling into a town where I really want a certain building is hilarious. Set all 4 to auto fire and wait until the smoke clears.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The hypervelocity driver from Blazemod is an excellent 'main gun'. Wear earmuffs.

Does anyone know how to get mechanics up to 12 for a third engine? I can get to 10 by making pneumatic bolt drivers, but no further.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
A single M2 is all you really need, regular zombies get 1 tapped and half of them get gibbed and hulks are 2-3 shots.

They took away easy access to auto-fire though, it's a high end electric module now because of course it is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Big guns make it easy to take our crowds, or kill turrets on a miss.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I used what essentially was a solar powered laser machine gun from some mod that was part of the original install package. It was rapid firing, did good damage, so it handled crowds well. Best of all, it had very very limited if any splash damage so when it was on auto-fire mode while I was running around doing stuff, it basically wouldn't ever hurt me.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If you want a really fun and highly impractical weapon then a belt-fed .50 sniper rifle will both attract every zombie in the city and out-range anything and everything that could hurt you. Ammo only limited by how many tanks you can find.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rynoto posted:

If you want a really fun and highly impractical weapon then a belt-fed .50 sniper rifle will both attract every zombie in the city and out-range anything and everything that could hurt you. Ammo only limited by how many tanks you can find.

Hell, with Generic Guns enabled, after a couple decent Humvees and helicopter wrecks, I'm swimming in enough rifle ammo to outfit a third world country. About the only change I need to make to my sniper rifle is swapping the foregrip for an underbarrel shotgun so I can solve problems like the small room with 6 mi-gos I encountered today.

Alternately I could go full suicide machine and use an underbarrel grenade launcher. :gibs:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nothing personal kid

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Fantastic avatar/post combo.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Rip Tainted Tornado and Sewer Brew, I never used them, but I always thought of Goon Days Ahead when I saw them.

Thank god there are mods still picking up the slack from what is rapidly becoming a very very bland main trunk of a game, theme wise.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Currently trying to get into this game and since I'm a heathen that doesn't like ascii I'm trying to find a tileset I enjoy. I looked at some yt vids and one set called "chesthole" looked good to me. But the current stable release I use has a different version and the one I wanted to use was removed for some legal reasons as I could gather? Is it still possible to find and use the tileset to make the game look like this this?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pretty sure that’s the UNDEAD_PEOPLE tileset. I don’t remember if I installed it via the game launcher or an unzip from GitHub.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Pretty sure that’s the UNDEAD_PEOPLE tileset. I don’t remember if I installed it via the game launcher or an unzip from GitHub.

Fairly certain its not in the base game install but its easy to find with google

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

It's in there. It got removed from the basic game installation because of some stolen assets. Thing is, the tileset has been worked on by so many people and for so long that's it's pretty hard to source every image, so they decided to simply remove it from the basic distribution instead. The guy working on it still keeps it updated, and some devs are working on an alternative tileset that you can already try (ultica) but isn't complete yet.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

SpacePope posted:

It's in there. It got removed from the basic game installation because of some stolen assets. Thing is, the tileset has been worked on by so many people and for so long that's it's pretty hard to source every image, so they decided to simply remove it from the basic distribution instead. The guy working on it still keeps it updated, and some devs are working on an alternative tileset that you can already try (ultica) but isn't complete yet.
Thanks a lot! And sorry for the wrong name but I was going by a comment made by the youtuber on the first episode. And yeah I checked out ultica and it's neat too but I wanted to investigate the other tileset first and would have fallen back on ultica if the other set wasn't available anymore.

Now on to learning the controls and dying a bunch :woop:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Welcome aboard! Please ask questions here, it’s better content than us old timers bitching about the latest changes we don’t agree with. :oldmanyellsatclouds:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wish they would make mutations not rng aaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Welcome aboard! Please ask questions here, it’s better content than us old timers bitching about the latest changes we don’t agree with. :oldmanyellsatclouds:
What things should I prioritize to loot during my first few hours in the world? I assume some form of backpack is highest followed by a weapon and some food&drink. I just hosed around a bit with my first character to get a feel but yeah there are tons of items that seem important but there's no way for me to carry all that stuff even if I had a backpack by now.

Also holy hell there are a lot of zombos around me send help

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Weapon then Backpack. You should be able to at least half rear end something before leaving the shelter. The cudgel is pretty good. The trick to fighting zombies is to get them hung up on something before you risk getting next to them. Get them to crawl through a window, or just maneuver so that there is a bush between you. Not getting hit is much more important than hitting any given zombie.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I like starting with Melee Weapon Training/Medieval Swordsmanship. You can make a crude sword on day 1 easily and it’s a pretty decent weapon.

Grab or make a duffel bag but it will encumber you greatly. Be prepared to drop the bag and whatever you can no longer carry once you see a zombie that you need/want to fight.

Pick up canned food at first but don’t think you need to grab all of it, every house is going to have a day or two of non-perishable food. Always grab duct tape, it’s small, used in a bunch of recipes and you probably won’t find the recipe for it until you loot a library.

E: Bookmark http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/ and use it to look up recipes your character can’t make yet. Using the crude sword example from above, http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/sword_crude/craft shows that you can craft one at fabrication level 2. Until you hit fabrication 2, the in game crafting list won’t even show you that crude sword exists.

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/duct_tape/craft shows that you need fabrication 3 to make duct tape, but you also need the recipe found in one of the 4 books listed at the bottom (and you need fabrication at 5 if the only book from the list that you have is Mechanical Mastery.)

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 16, 2020

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Basic tools are also going to be very useful to get your hands on, especially since you can often take care of early weapons by just crafting them. Proper tools are great if you can find them, but a simple rock can at least cover for a hammer when you're just starting out, and you can use that to make other tools.

Getting a cutting tool of some kind is also important because it allows you to butcher zombies to prevent them from getting back up. You can always pulp zombies, although this can be a problem with acid zombies since the blood spray will hurt you, so it's better to quick butcher them.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 16, 2020

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
The best way to fight zombies is to never get hit in the first place. Make a spike on a stick and kite them. Polearms with reach attacks are generally the best way for a new player to start as they are very low risk.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

IMO the most important thing starting out is decent clothing. You need Volume to be able to loot, and even decent reinforced clothes can stop zombie bites.

Smash some furniture. Grab a rock and use it to turn nails into fishhooks until you have fabrication 1. Now if you have a knife you can make a Wooden Needle out of wood fragments.

Smash a window. Disassemble the string into Thread. Cut the sheets apart into rags. Start making crap - bandanas to start, as you gain Tailoring skill make more difficult stuff so you're always at the edge of your skill.

Nomad Suit is what you eventually want to make, but you'll need to do some looting first.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

You can also make the official goatsestretchgoals endorsed OP character of maximum asskicking (tm):

Scenario: Helicopter Crash
Profession: Bionic Soldier
Stats: 10 STR, 10 DEX, 9 INT, 9 PER

Positive traits:
Fast Learner - Faster skill gain through crafting/fighting.
Indefatigable - More stamina means more hitting/stabbing/running before you tire out.
Melee Weapon Training - I like Medieval Swordsmanship because the arming sword is arguably the best melee weapon in the game. Silat is another good choice; the makeshift/(normal)/survivor machete isn’t as good as the arming sword but they’re easier to make and aren’t shabby.
Pain Resistant - Pain tanks your stats and lowers your speed. Less pain means this doesn’t happen as fast.
Strong Back - Carry more weight before you’re overloaded. At STR 10, you will be right on the edge of overloaded with late game armor/weapons if you wear an ESAPI Ballistic Vest (which you should). There is an implant that does the same thing but who knows if/when you will find one.

Negative Traits:
Addictive Personality - You get addicted to drugs easier. Not a big deal, see Lightweight.
Fast Metabolism - You need more food but also get more stamina. This is arguably a positive trait because you’ll never run out of food and stamina is good.
Hates Books - You take a small morale (happiness/focus) hit when you read books. Get your experience from crafting instead and only read when you need to get skill X to value Y to craft item Z.
High Thirst - Water is trivial to get/boil. Free trait points.
Lightweight - Drugs gently caress you up quicker and the negatives are worse. Not a huge deal because this is an OP build and you’ll only do drugs to go to sleep when you gently caress up your schedule.
Rigid Table Manners - You take a tiny morale hit when you don’t eat at a table. It’s tiny enough to be ignored, free trait points.
Squeamish - You can’t wear filthy (looted from zombie) clothes. You shouldn’t anyway because you take a morale hit and are more likely to get infected.
Weak Stomach - You throw up if you eat rotten food. Don’t eat rotten food.
Weight: XXXL - You’re fat. This means you heal slowly (hidden health stat), but only until you fix it by losing weight. You can eat less at first or just turn on your Metabolic Interchange implant (and disable power save mode) and burn the pounds away in a day or two.

Skills:
Mechanics 2 - Getting mechanics up to 2 is a pain in the rear end if you don’t find a book. Once you’re at 2 you can remove doors, trunks, etc to train it higher.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 16, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to follow your directions once I feel like I can start a serious run. Still just loving around for now

Btw, do hostiles respawn or can you actually clear an area for good and have it be safe for looting and whatever you wanna do with it? I mean I realize that it would take a lot of ammo or expert combat tricks to dispatch so many enemies but I'm just wondering if it's something that you can aim towards eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Assuming you didn’t activate wander spawns in the world options, zombies don’t move unless they’re in your reality bubble (100ish tiles in each direction). Smashed/dissected zombies don’t respawn. Maybe not on day 1 but it is possible to clear out entire cities.