Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I managed to build a lamp :science:

It's a floodlight with a car battery which only holds for three hours but at least I understood the principle. Need to get into bigger batteries but I need a lot more stuff to make them as it seems. And I don't want to trash my solar car because it's too handy for getting around at the moment. But yeah I'm starting to get how you can build cool stuff

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

So for the reasons you have identified, batteries are now incredibly annoying to manage.
Yeah I would also say so. There's a bunch of battery types and then high cap types of those batteries and some say they are rechargeable and others disposeable....my storage is just cluttered with all kinds of them. I assume this was done because realism :jerkbag:

I probaly should just figure out which can be used to craft useful things and throw away the rest if they're empty enough

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Do you download the game manually, or do you use the launcher?
Nah I used the manual download. I'm not really looking for mods as of now though. The game has enough stuff for me to figure out as it is :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Welp, got turned into zombie chow. Probably going to skip the addicted start next time, didn't realize it was going to be that crippling or take that long to get rid of.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah I would also say so. There's a bunch of battery types and then high cap types of those batteries and some say they are rechargeable and others disposeable....my storage is just cluttered with all kinds of them. I assume this was done because realism :jerkbag:

Back when I last played a shitton batteries were basically like arcade tokens you fed into things to make them work and disappeared in the process. :v:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Leal posted:

NPCs have been greatly expanded on, least the last time I played (like 2016? 17?). You can use the zone feature (shift+ Y) to set up where stuff will go and tell them to sort nearby items and they'll do it. You can also set up construction blueprints and have them work on construction (notably: deconstruction) while you do other stuff. They can mine, farm and butcher corpses with zones.

They're base game, but you should make sure to enable random NPC spawns and *drastically* increase the spawn rate. The game has like a 0.10 default spawn rate and you wont find NPCs anywhere that isn't in a refugee center. I'd say 15 is a good number. Also make sure you enable the disable NPC needs mod (it should be enabled by default) cause do you really want to babysit NPCs?

Doesn't this lead to the aforementioned 'round corner-> "DROP YOUR WEAPON" -> obliterated 0.0005 seconds later by 30 headshots' or are these npcs not aggressive? I started a game without them but if they aren't going to murder me every other step I'd like to give them ago.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Carcer posted:

Doesn't this lead to the aforementioned 'round corner-> "DROP YOUR WEAPON" -> obliterated 0.0005 seconds later by 30 headshots' or are these npcs not aggressive? I started a game without them but if they aren't going to murder me every other step I'd like to give them ago.

I think that is the rare scenario that sticks out. Almost all of my encounters with hostile NPCs have given them melee weapons and I'm the one that shoots them in the head before they even get close.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My only bandits thus far were unarmed completely unarmed but had kevlar vests and so took a while in game to wear down with my mighty poisonous long fingernails considering the way NPC health seems to work. They did see me at night before I even did anything at the edge of my full night vision sight radius so if they had guns they almost certainly would have had me before I knew what the gently caress.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The launcher is worth it, the game is best played on experimental and the launcher makes updating regularly, and rolling back if they gently caress something major up, a snap.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Ah dang I somehow caught a cold. I have cough syrup available but it's rather annoying to be hampered for while now. Welp guess it's time to grind some skills

E: Is bee balm only dropped from underbrush or can you pick it in the wilds? Seems like a good idea to make some tea right now

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 23, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I managed to build a lamp :science:

It's a floodlight with a car battery which only holds for three hours but at least I understood the principle. Need to get into bigger batteries but I need a lot more stuff to make them as it seems. And I don't want to trash my solar car because it's too handy for getting around at the moment. But yeah I'm starting to get how you can build cool stuff

Floodlights are super thirsty. Try just using the dome light instead. Also, steal a charged Storage Battery from an electric or atomic car.

I treat all batteries as disposable and just drop them. Once I have the skill I put a recharging station down and convert absolutely everything to UPS power.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Don’t forget about gasoline lanterns for early game light. 0.5L will last for like 5 hours.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

If you can find an electric lamp, those fuckers last for days on a single small battery

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Man, I forgot how its like starting out. Just sitting in the shelter and uggh so much work to be done and I can't even remember half of what I should be doing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Fabrication 1, tailoring 3, survival 1 (so you can make a balaclava).

E: To make that post less lovely, fab 1 gets you a wooden needle, tailoring 3 gets you upper/lower long underwear, add survival 1 for a balaclava. Day 2: Find enough leather to make a full set of leather armor. Day 3: LMAO you can already facetank 5-7 zombies, get Kevlar plates and train fabrication.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 24, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Also, steal a charged Storage Battery from an electric or atomic car.
I found a damaged storage battery in a car in the local dump but it says I need something with lifting to get it out and I'm not sure what that would be

Also having a cold sucks major rear end. Just like from the gameplay experience. I can only imagine how dreadful it would be if I hadn't found those bottles of cough syrup

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The easiest way to get Lifting is to remove a frame section, then weld it back on as forklift fork.

I use a folding engine crane I found in a garage, but that's more advanced.

Edit: to prevent colds, wear a gas mask 24/7.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 24, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Make a foldable cart consisting of a foldable light frame, casters, and a telescopic crane. Before you do that, make the same cart except with a foldable wire basket. You can fold the crane cart and carry it inside the cargo cart.

E: Placement on the crane cart is not intuitive. Put it within 2 tiles of what you want to install/remove with unbroken line of sight (open doors/trunks for storage batteries).

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 24, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Edit: to prevent colds, wear a gas mask 24/7.
Does it have to be activated to prevent a cold?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Make a foldable cart consisting of a foldable light frame, casters, and a telescopic crane. Before you do that, make the same cart except with a foldable wire basket. You can fold the crane cart and carry it inside the cargo cart.

E: Placement on the crane cart is not intuitive. Put it within 2 tiles of what you want to install/remove with unbroken line of sight (open doors/trunks for storage batteries).
Sounds complicated but I'll look into it :v:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Does it have to be activated to prevent a cold?

Sounds complicated but I'll look into it :v:

always activate a gas mask, it doesn't use any charge unless your actually in gas/smoke.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Roobanguy posted:

always activate a gas mask, it doesn't use any charge unless your actually in gas/smoke.
Ohhh that's neat!

E: The minus 3 to perception is rather lovely though

The Lone Badger posted:

Floodlights are super thirsty. Try just using the dome light instead.
This item seems to have been removed btw. Can't find it in the game or the item browser

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 24, 2020

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

E: No sorry, I’ve been spending too much time in D&D/CSPAM.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Ohhh that's neat!

E: The minus 3 to perception is rather lovely though

This item seems to have been removed btw. Can't find it in the game or the item browser

I always wear a Light Survivor Mask myself, only 10 encumberance and protects the eyes/face.

'Dome light' is an option I see when I examine the dashboard/electronic controls, not a part itself.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dome light comes from dashboard (vehicle controls?) or an electronics control unit (a foldable dashboard).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

'Dome light' is an option I see when I examine the dashboard/electronic controls, not a part itself.
You're right but it doesn't do anything when I activate it

Also

Another SA success story

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Activate dome lights (and a bunch of other poo poo) by (e)xamining the driver seat tile.

Also hell yeah!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Putting this it’s own post because poo poo is game changing.

You can honk the horns of random cars on the road. Want to pull a nasty looking rear end in a top hat back to where you already cleared? Honk that loving horn.

E: Shift-C, yell also works but the game even tells you that you can’t yell for poo poo because you have a mask on.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 24, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Activate dome lights (and a bunch of other poo poo) by (e)xamining the driver seat tile.

Also hell yeah!
I think there is some confusion in our exchange here :v:

I've built a frame with a car battery and a dashboard in my basement and then stuck the floodlight on it. That's all it has so I would assume I need to instal another light source to have the "activate dome lights" promt do anything. As said I tried it and it didn't produce any light

Also tactical honking is a good idea

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I decided to try experimental and now my map cant save :( I'll go back to 0.E tomorrow.

First death was me trying to cook in a house by lighting a couch on fire to cook wild boar meat. I deserved and expected death after, so fled down the road on fire and was munched by zombie dogs.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
The advanced inventory system is handy, but I have a hard time moving a variety of items - every time I move an item, the locations in each tab change. Is there a way to move multiple items from one tile to another?

Also, vat grown bodyguard helicopter crash seems promising so far.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Helicopter Crash is the most powerful scenario at the moment. You get a bunch of points, start on day 1, and are outside the city.

I think Bionic Soldier is the most powerful profession for it. The night vision bionic is incredible, and adrenaline pump will save your life.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 24, 2020

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Dome lights light up the tile the dashboard is on. Useful for reading and some crafting, but with a modest setup like you have, grab a flashlight and use it to install aisle lights. It won't drain batteries as fast, and illuminates a decent area.

Pulling an aisle with lights off another car is also an option, that gives you the same light and lets you walk on the tile without slowing down.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

The Lone Badger posted:

I think Bionic Soldier is the most powerful profession for it. The night vision bionic is incredible, and adrenaline pump will save your life.

I should hope so since bionic operative zombies will wreck your face so hard.

Anyone know of any reason why a dashboard isn't just a shittier electronics controls?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Is there a way to read the data from military black boxes or are they just for flavor?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's an NPC quest.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I did an effortpost upthread but yeah, Helicopter Crash is the best start. You’re bleeding but one of the zombie soldiers will have a first aid kit or a bag of hemostatic powder. You will get a couple more STANAGs and you might get lucky with an M249 with 100+ rounds.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Xand_Man posted:

Anyone know of any reason why a dashboard isn't just a shittier electronics controls?

It is exactly that but installing an electronics control unit is gated behind mechanics 3 and electronics 3.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

It is exactly that but installing an electronics control unit is gated behind mechanics 3 and electronics 3.

That'd do it. Usually by the time I'm crafting my mudermobile I've got a base and a stack of books so I never noticed the requirement.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, the dome light only works on its own tile. Craft and read from there. If you install a central base power system you can basically have a comfy commander seat in the middle of your storage room from which to do all your reading and tinkering.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Rock forge won’t make it hot. Have you found the Scottish cookbook yet? It also has recipes for end game swords because lol Scots.

What is forging if not an extremely advanced form of cookery?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I only noticed it because I was running out of recharge mediums and skill gate prevented me from turning on the recharger. (gently caress you in advance if you suggest vehicle controls, I know that now!)

:(

E: /\/\ Scot cookbook is literally 3-5 throwaway food recipes and also lol endgame melee weapons. Ye can find the Scots Beuk o Cuikery on day 1.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I did an effortpost upthread but yeah, Helicopter Crash is the best start. You’re bleeding but one of the zombie soldiers will have a first aid kit or a bag of hemostatic powder. You will get a couple more STANAGs and you might get lucky with an M249 with 100+ rounds.
I got away pretty unscathed, but I had a hard enough time dealing with the pilot. I'm a little scared to take on the soldiers. :ohdear: