Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Considering the gigantic coding clusterfuck the source is, I can't exactly say that I'm surprised.

Edit - holyshitnewpagecontent! Started a new character, picked up the Android trait again for a change.. ended up with Ethanol Burner and Fusion Blaster Arm. My dude is now basically like a Russian Mega Man, swearing incoherently at zombies and lobbing molotov cocktails between swigging from a vodka bottle and blowing zombies apart with a goddamned meltagun :getin:

Edit edit - and I laster two days. Drunkard McFuckingGunArm cleaned out a few city blocks worth of zombies, housing himself in an abandoned home on the edge of twon. On his second evening, night had fallen, but he couldn't sleep, so he ended up wandering into the kitchen for a late-night snack. Standing next to the window, he saw a blur of movement-

-and a goddamned moose smashed through the window, dead-set on goring him. A fierce fight followed where he had a bottle of vodka in his good hand while he pumped fusion energy at the critter with the other - missing shot after shot at point-blank range, getting increasingly beated up. Finally his booze was out, as was the power cell for the fusion blaster, and the moose was still standing - until he yanked out a crowbar and sunk it into the beast's skull, close to death and bleeding badly.

The noise attracted zombies. Lots and lots of zombies.

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Aug 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

quote:

For non-backers who haven't been getting regular updates - our programmer has begun work on getting tileset support working, and is making good progress. I expect it to be finished early next week, and several folks on the forum have tilesets ready to plug in and go.

Posted at 2013-08-11.

Shows that kickstarter money goes a good way...right?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Shows that kickstarter money goes a good way...right?

The nightly SDL version currently has tiles. It's unplayable since there are so many missing sprites, but it is in there and working.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

esquilax posted:

The nightly SDL version currently has tiles. It's unplayable since there are so many missing sprites, but it is in there and working.

This is what's causing the delay in GDA. The merge went horribly wrong and I'm left to untangle the mess. I'll probably wait for the tile release to do a 0.5. In the mean time I'll try and get a 0.4.5 for testing purposes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Anticheese posted:

Gryphglyph, if you're still reading the thread, can you please give us a bit more insight into the DDA development practices? I gather a lot of stuff is just merged in, but with the amount of really questionable stuff that's made it in I'm curious to hear more as to the how and the why it happens.

We've got a few people with merge access to the repo. Kevingranade is the main merger. Most merging (stuff that doesn't clash with the game as is, stuff that is a straight up technical back end improvement) is a straightforward check that the code is funtional.

If there's question about the content - not balanced properly, doesn't fit the theme, clashes with existing lore, or it in some other way clashes with the game as is - it's usually brought up in the IRC and discussed what action should be taken. At that point it usually comes down to Kevingranade and myself, or at least it used to, which worked well because we tended to consider wildly different things and I was pretty confident most of the time we came to the right decision.

If you feel there's been a lot of poor inclusions lately, there's two possible reasons, I've been quite busy lately, and haven't had time to do much IRC stuff. Which reminds me that I finally got the Digital Reward tier stuff for the kickstarter and really need to send that out... anyway, I've been busy, so some things that I'd disagree with might not be getting a strong argument against them and are passing through too quickly.

The other, more likely explanation, is that we get a LOT of pull requests, and its more every month. The big push to move stuff out into data files has made contributing a lot easier, so we get a lot more pull requests. So we've expanded the number of people with merge access, and it's possible at least a few off them are too lenient on what is worth discussion. And honestly, if we were going to err in one direction or the other, I'd prefer this direction - Cataclysm has always been, in our tenure managing it, as much about giving people the opportunity to contribute as anything else, and a lot of contributors means a lot of crsp, but sometimes the same contributors that contribute crap will also contribute some good stuff. I'd rather we have a bit of crap we can remove later when things inevitably change than miss out on the good chances.

With the new Worldbuilder tool making progress towards completion though, that could change quite soon. There will be a lot more crap included... but it won't be included in mainline, since it will be much easier (trivial, really) to create mods that people can /choose/ to install with a single download. I imagine a lot of things, like profession packs, won't be included by default.

And then some stuff, like the professions you don't like, is apparently still in there specifically to piss you (in particular, not SA in general, just Anticheese) off. That may just be a rumour. But I have decided to believe that it's true. Either way apparently they aren't going anywhere at the moment, though both professions and traits are looking to see some overhauls sooner or later and they will probably disappear then when "addict" becomes a starting trait instead of a profession (similar to Android). That's what is looking most likely to me anyway.

On other topics
How different is the actual code in GDA? When we finish the Worldbuilder, is it possible that it will fit as a mod folder? I haven't actually looked at it that much - what's actually different, codewise?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I haven't looked at the code, but the big things I can think of off the top of my head are some of the vehicle rewrites. Directional headlights, siphoning water from tanks and the such. I'd imagine that a lot of the extra books, recipes, and what not can be made as a module once all thats done.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

GlyphGryph posted:

And then some stuff, like the professions you don't like, is apparently still in there specifically to piss you (in particular, not SA in general, just Anticheese) off. That may just be a rumour. But I have decided to believe that it's true. Either way apparently they aren't going anywhere at the moment, though both professions and traits are looking to see some overhauls sooner or later and they will probably disappear then when "addict" becomes a starting trait instead of a profession (similar to Android). That's what is looking most likely to me anyway.

Thank you very much for the explanation about the overall process, but.. :psyduck:

:catstare:

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 4, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

:crossarms:

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Ahahaha Jesus Jumpin' Christ.

Wait, it doesn't start with Masochist? Not only is it creepy, it's not even well thought out.

EDIT: Awful, awful grammar.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 7, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
At least you can get four extra stat points if you select Prostitute profession, though the crack withdrawal is pretty harsh when you're trying to start out.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I'm currently swamped by college work and other stuff so if anyone wants to enviable job of untangling GDA and nightly DDA code to make it actually build, be my guest.

https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-GDA

When you're done submit it as a pull-request.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

#Cataclysm-DDA posted:

<Percy> We already have a cross dresser trait
<G-Flex> Percy: are you serious
<Percy> yup
<Percy> it gives you morale boosts for wearing clothes of the opposite sex

For fucks sake.

Imagine watching a .gif of selecting the Lost Submissive start, the cross dresser trait, wearing a fursuit on top of the bondage gear, wearing a jedi cloak on that with a jacqueshammer, and then blingee snoop shows up on the scene, possibly while that quote flashes up. That is what this game looks like now.

(I couldn't work out how to stitch two animations together into one)

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Is it really worth getting all worked up over? Yeah it's kind of weird but Cataclysm isn't that serious and having goofy poo poo to mess with is fun. Does it make me a bad person for thinking playing a crack addicted furry sounds hilarious?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

There's just so much dumb poo poo being worked in by a million contributors who want to see their dumb references in, and a lot of the new item recipes just result in more subsystems and ways to make crap being piled on top of each other without any real thought as to how they'd work together.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Oh yeah, okay I see what you're getting at. I didn't know the DDA devs were doing quantity of random junk over quality additions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The community there is also seriously immature and it makes me really uncomfortable to see them putting in content like that when it just seems to be there for shock value and a few cheap laughs. It definitely seems like random junk is the order of the day.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

There's a problem with redundant content (do we really need 50 professions an 6 different types of boots?), but a lot of the stuff that's been added recently is great and game-changing. Shopping carts, for example, are awesome and fit theme of the game.

Some of the new content isn't really thought out though. The whole smithing/forging crafting line is nice, but it takes you 14 hours of game time and a few trees worth of wood just to make the charcoal required to forge a pocket knife.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wait, what? I can smith and forge now?

loving incredible, they're gonna combine URW style survival gameplay, I just know it.

Anyways, let them be immature. It's not like we have an alternative dev team or anything serious. They'll keep improving the game and when it's eventually stable in a million years someone can easily trim all the blatantly racist/sexist stuff.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Wait, what? I can smith and forge now?

loving incredible, they're gonna combine URW style survival gameplay, I just know it.

Anyways, let them be immature. It's not like we have an alternative dev team or anything serious. They'll keep improving the game and when it's eventually stable in a million years someone can easily trim all the blatantly racist/sexist stuff.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. It takes a huge investment in time but now you can tear apart a semi-truck and build yourself a suit of platemail and gasoline-powered flaming machete out of the scraps.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I like most of the changes I've seen so far, Anitcheese's post up earlier in the thread has literally every objectionable thing I've seen in the game in it and it's basically a list of like 5 things. I haven't really ran into anything that's made me say "there is no hope for Cataclysm, now I can never play it because everywhere I turn will be terrible things".

Also if anyone is an idiot like me and haven't figured it out yet, you can disassemble flashlights into enough components to make a lightstrip which is stationary and only a 3x3 light radius but it lasts for drat ever and lets you have enough light to read/sew/craft by. It's one of the easier electronics recipes too. Also those trash compactors out back of hardware stores let you throw in metal items to get chunks of steel/scrap or turn those things into sheets and frames.

Edit: Also you can actually reliably find pots and pans by going to houses kitchens and can craft your own screwdrivers/woodaxes/whatever tool you always desperately need but can never find and can now spend starting points to get a backpack this is basically the best update.

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 11, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yeah, I suppose that I have been panicking a bit too much. It would be nice if some of the bullshit were cleared and a bit of maturity called for, but there's also some really excellent stuff like being able to install a vehicle welding rig in your car - it's like having the piece of the integrated toolkit everyone actually cares about, but it runs off your car batteries! There's some farming stuff too in the nightly builds, but I have no idea how that works.

Edit: Right as I say something nice, I grab the latest nightly.

"A fuzzy pair of brownish cat ears on a headband. It does nothing, but there's no reason not to look good even if no one's looking."

No, it isn't for cats.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 11, 2013

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Those latest updates look good, I haven't had time to try out the latest builds in a while. I suppose I should wait for the tileset update, it looks like it's coming out pretty soon.

That said if this becomes an arms race of immature developers and Anticheese getting offended I'm just getting out right now.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
At least it comes in leather and fur!

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Inadequately posted:

That said if this becomes an arms race of immature developers and Anticheese getting offended I'm just getting out right now.

You're just thinking small time. Didn't someone say the community was putting in/leaving in stuff just to gently caress with him? If every update is going to be "cool new poo poo plus something for that one goon to hate" then this will probably be the best game of all time if we can convince him to hate cool things.

Though seriously I would prefer it if Cataclysm didn't become mishmash fetish wasteland, I was under impression that the experimental builds were just slapped together out of all the different resources people have put in and will be trimmed down/edited/tested for the actual "update."

Edit: You can light wooden objects on fire without having to put a stick on them/bust them up now, as I learned when I accidentally burned down the house with all my stuff in it because I fatfingered the keyboard and activated the matchbook instead of the crowbar. :saddowns:

Tyskil fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 11, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anticheese, can you hate the following things:

Trailers for Vehicles
Larger Vehicles
Z-levels
Z-levels for vehicles.
Z-level aware hatches and turrets for vehicles.
Law Rockets for Vehicles.

And uhh...

Brewing since GDA is mostly defunct.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You can already fire a LAW out the window of your car while driving - I just tested it! :haw:

The GDA stuff seems to have been merged into the main DDA branch, including brewing. Which I hate because all the recipes rely on existing stockpiles of booze which kind of defeats the purpose! (But this is easily changed, especially since it's looking more and more likely that you'll be able to grow your own stuff. The hardest thing to change to really get it right would be wait periods in crafting, like letting your booze ferment rather than the game making your character stand in place for a week.)

I know I've been bitching a lot, but the Whales days Cataclysm community was terrible and full of rape jokes, and the mods back then were full of references to stuff. I just don't want to see any of that get out of hand.

Good work is being done on the game, and I think that above-ground z-levels are on the docket. Just that they won't appear any time soon.
By which I mean, I hate everything that Killer-of-Lawyers posted and I hope that I never get to make a building on wheels with rockets and turrets and stuff.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Anticheese posted:

The GDA stuff seems to have been merged into the main DDA branch, including brewing.

For those of us who are dumb, does this mean the GDA is now up to date with the latest DDA? Also, did anyone figure out why spiderwebs were crashing the game? That basically drove me away from the game but this is one of the few things I can actually run for the next couple of days :(

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 11, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

You can already fire a LAW out the window of your car while driving - I just tested it! :haw:

The GDA stuff seems to have been merged into the main DDA branch, including brewing. Which I hate because all the recipes rely on existing stockpiles of booze which kind of defeats the purpose! (But this is easily changed, especially since it's looking more and more likely that you'll be able to grow your own stuff. The hardest thing to change to really get it right would be wait periods in crafting, like letting your booze ferment rather than the game making your character stand in place for a week.)

I know I've been bitching a lot, but the Whales days Cataclysm community was terrible and full of rape jokes, and the mods back then were full of references to stuff. I just don't want to see any of that get out of hand.

Good work is being done on the game, and I think that above-ground z-levels are on the docket. Just that they won't appear any time soon.
By which I mean, I hate everything that Killer-of-Lawyers posted and I hope that I never get to make a building on wheels with rockets and turrets and stuff.

Well, the guy working on the brewing in this thread talked about letting the rotten tag work with brewing, so I'm sure it'll come.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I won't be happy with this game until it lets me spraypaint my car with my little pony decals that gives me a bonus in moral and the new important feature 'hornyness' when I drive around.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Faithless posted:

I won't be happy with this game until it lets me spraypaint my car with my little pony decals that gives me a bonus in moral and the new important feature 'hornyness' when I drive around.

OK, this is getting annoying. Basically sometimes when I put water or whatever into an empty plastic bottle, the new stack of empty bottles gets assigned a letter that's already in use. When you then try and put something into a bottle, it'll try sticking it into whatever already had a letter and then complain about it not holding water. It's a apin in the rear end when you're trying to work with limited resources since apparently whatever you created gets dumped onto the ground.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Figures that they still haven't fixed that, since it is actually a very painful and annoying thing that would actually be extremely helpful if it was fixed. I solved that problem by throwing all those lovely plastic bottles out, finding and then unloading a gallon jug of bleach on the floor and using that to store all the water I need.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I don't see why they have to have clothing in that particular menu screen anyways, I've NEVER found a clothing item that can hold water in the game and it's always a conflict between a clothing item and a liquid container as far as I can see. The two of them even have different letter keys in your main inventory, why the gently caress must it reassign them for the choose-a-container screen?

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
The item declarations actually have a flag that define whether an item is capable of holding a liquid, so I don't know why the screen doesn't filter out everything that can't hold a liquid, period.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
I stopped playing Cataclysm back around when Whales stopped working on the project, it was a bit too buggy, but I thought then that it had the most potential of any of the new roguelikes. It looks like DDA has added a ton of new content and gameplay. The last page or so has focused on the questionable content, but is DDA fun to play? Any really critical new ideas since I stopped?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's mostly just a really improved version of the old Cataclysm. It has its own thread, where your questions might be answered better.

[edit] I am a moron, I thought I was posting in the general roguelike thread. :downs:

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 14, 2013

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

deptstoremook posted:

I stopped playing Cataclysm back around when Whales stopped working on the project, it was a bit too buggy, but I thought then that it had the most potential of any of the new roguelikes. It looks like DDA has added a ton of new content and gameplay. The last page or so has focused on the questionable content, but is DDA fun to play? Any really critical new ideas since I stopped?

The game is much different than the Whales version. I didn't play that version much at all, but DDA changes some very fundamental parts of the game and the nightly builds are changing things even more.

The XP system is gone and has been replaced with focus. With 100 focus you gain skills at a rate of 1x and with a focus of 50 you gain at .5x. Morale raises focus and having very high morale can make focus go over 100. Archery is quite different now you can't just build a longbow and clear an entire town on the first day, but it also scales better at high levels so robots and armored targets are no longer impossible to kill.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Thanks for the advice. Which one is easier to start with, static spawns or dynamic?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I prefer static myself, it means that if you play carefully you can actually clean out areas and make them (somewhat) safe. dynamic feels sometimes to me like there's absolutely nothing happening until you gently caress up somehow, and then BAM! Surprise hulk.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The latest nightly has a way to scale static, too, so if you want you can crank up the city size and the static spawn rates and make the cities super dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Also a hint to new players, manors and regional schools are loving treasure troves when it comes to starting out your characters - they'll have a ton of zombies but mostly they'll be regular ones (and child zombies for the regional schools, those poor students).. with plenty of chokepoints you can defend if you're careful. Both will, most of the time, feature libraries chock-full of all sorts of skillbooks, potentially some very advanced ones, too. Just be careful about fire, you don't want to burn the whole thing down by accident.