Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It doesn't. The blob doesn't kill anyone.

Deep zombie bites kill you because you come down with sepsis.

It's still dumb that you clean wounds with disinfectant, rather than soap and water or saline irrigation, though. It doesn't really make sense, if a bite is deep enough to give you sepsis then just putting a little hydrogen peroxide on it shouldn't really help, at all.

I missed this last page but I agree, also another problem is that hydrogen peroxide is counter-recommended as a wound disinfectant anyway. It interferes with the healing of tissue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

AceRimmer posted:

How do I get dogs to keep following me? They tend to wander off after I've tamed them with dog food.
I think it's part of their design that they don't follow you in close proximity and that you have to wait for them to catch up every few turns. At least I have read something along those lines. There is a dogwhistle which is supposed to let you give them more specific commands. It's a rather rare find though and a craftable wooden whistle was added in experimental iirc. I picked one up in my current stable game but didn't use it so far. I'll try to keep in mind to test it

Also I'm developing a special kind of hatred for devourers in basements. They snack up on so many zombies that they can tank around 8 direct shotgun blasts. Down to my last seven shells rn :rolldice:

E:

Opening that door made me jump in my seat a little

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 21, 2020

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Are vehicle mounting points working right in the new version? Loved having a deathcycle attached to my deathmobile last time I played, but it never seemed to attach/detach properly and I think eventually trying to do so caused the game to crash.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Daktar posted:

Are vehicle mounting points working right in the new version? Loved having a deathcycle attached to my deathmobile last time I played, but it never seemed to attach/detach properly and I think eventually trying to do so caused the game to crash.

Sometimes I have issues with my motorcycle saying it doesn’t have an engine. That’s been easily fixed loading it then unloading it again. No crashes yet and I’m nearly a full year into roaming the wasteland in my mobile fortress.

Though I did have one portion of the bike rack get destroyed which made the game think the front half of the bike was welded to my multi-ton swat van. That was an utter pain to detach since I’m well over any type of jack maximum weight.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Been a week or two since I played , are they getting anywhere towards fixing containers?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Fallen down this rabbit hole something fierce... Been binge watching youtube videos on tips / tutorials. Got into a nasty scrap with a zombie soldier and got beaten up pretty badly, so I returned home, made a few trips to move all my resources from the evac shelter to the farm, and now I've bandaged myself up and am sitting tight for a couple of days til I'm all healed.

Spending my time sewing, cooking, and reading. It's really cosy and I can't wait to get back out again. I plan on hitting the town and doing a big looting run, and checking out a nearby cabin. I found an M4A1, and I've decided I'll purely use it for hunting. I guess it'll one-shot deer / animals, compared to pelting them with arrows or pebbles. I hate trying to ambush animals, only to have them run away severely injured and then I lose them and have no idea how to track them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Make sure to use (p)recise aim whenever you have the luxury to do so. It greatly increases your chances of a critical hit.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Make sure to use (p)recise aim whenever you have the luxury to do so. It greatly increases your chances of a critical hit.

I'll press m to cycle my aim (it increases my chances), then I press . until my recoil is low, and then I press p. I don't know if me pressing m is made redundant by the fact I press p.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Pressing . (which waits a turn) is manually steadying your aim per turn/per second so you can fire off the shot after you've prepared enough, compensated for any recoil, etc. Using a precise shot (with p) is just a shortcut to tell the game you want to wait the maximum amount of time. It's just quicker than pressing . all those times, every time.

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Is it possible to have a cybered up guy also do magic stuff, or are they mutually exclusive to some degree? Noticed my mana was being scaled down in tune with how much bioenergy I had.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Does anyone know the exacts mechanics behind how shocker zombie damage works? Like they're doing a ton of damage in a very short amount of time to me and so far I don't think that there is any defense against that except for armor suits that are specifically meant to counter electricty. Seems like I have to carry a rifle in my shopping cart to deal with them in daylight because getting hit by their range makes me too weak to use my bow

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Does anyone know the exacts mechanics behind how shocker zombie damage works? Like they're doing a ton of damage in a very short amount of time to me and so far I don't think that there is any defense against that except for armor suits that are specifically meant to counter electricty. Seems like I have to carry a rifle in my shopping cart to deal with them in daylight because getting hit by their range makes me too weak to use my bow

not sure about mechanics but i'm pretty sure that's how everyone handles them. You can also use a high caliber revolver or similar handgun if shockers are pretty much the only thing you need a shootin' iron for. That being said I think an M4 weighs almost the same so you might as well just bring the rifle unless you really prefer holsters to shoulder slings (I do, personally).

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Thanks for the insight. I got into a very nasty situation where two of them got on my rear end and the first zap hit me and prevented me from using my bow as said. I took both of them down with the 357. pistol I'm using for emergencies right now(out of shotgun ammo atm) before getting my mangled body the hell out of there. The pistol took them down fairly quickly but since I couldn't outrange their zap attack I took a bunch of damage so I got to thinking

E: The mechanic part I'm wondering about, is if conductive armor pieces increase the damage you take from their zaps or from the field effect?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 21, 2020

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Honestly the biggest issue with electric attacks is the brief stunned period where you can't dodge or anything. Shocker brute chaining a shock into a power blow clean through a wall or another zombie has ended a good few characters.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
How does the steel chain stack up as a weapon? I'm guessing it uses Bashing skill, but the stunning and bonus unarmed followup attack seem intriguing.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Oh joy, these guys look fun.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Rip&tear

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hope you have gas protection. You'll need it, if I remember right.

A fun thing I have learned is that if you outfit a vehicle so you have wheels along each section of the frame, your car becomes a rolling pin of death with which you can destroy the corpses of the zombies you hit-and-run by veering back and forth over them one or two times.

On this bad boy, I have 3 wheels in the front, and 3 wheels in the back. I pared it down from an APC. It's a deathmobile with
every amenity needed to craft and survive.

Plus, it's great for raiding gun stores and high end electronics shops (the ones with bionics and windows with bars), I just have to back it up so the hatch is aligned with the door, and then pass through the hatch and pick the lock. Since those shops are so secure, its not like they can break in the windows to get at you. Easy peasy!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah but doesn't that also destroy most loot?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

It should afaik

Also I've just killed a few fishes to process and was suprised that like 7 fishes filled my shopping cart to the brim. Turns out one of them was an 88 pound salmon :stare:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah but doesn't that also destroy most loot?

After a certain point, you don't really stand to gain much from enemy corpses.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Is there a way to speed up disassembling rags for thread? It's okay if I'm injured or whatever but if I've got Things To Do then spending two days sorting out a bunch of thread is a bit of a pain

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Disassemble string instead. Takes 5 minues instead of 1 hour.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 22, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ms Adequate posted:

Is there a way to speed up disassembling rags for thread? It's okay if I'm injured or whatever but if I've got Things To Do then spending two days sorting out a bunch of thread is a bit of a pain

I think you can drop them all then hit "B" and there should be an option that will serve your purpose.

Morbid Fiesta
Dec 20, 2008

I found a pair of friendship bracelets in a house and figured I'd hang on to them in case I made a friend. I now have 3 friends, 2 of which are very disappointed in me since I'm unable to craft them matching bracelets.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Decided to get around the issue of cities not generating by going for the Abandoned - Bionic Patient start. Turns out the Leuokocyte Breeder, Repair Nanomachines, and Metabolic Interchange are eliminating morbid obesity and using cake and toilet water to replace the bits gnawed on by zombies. I even got the "You feel amazing" message after waking up from a night of brownies, aspirin, and Canadian whiskey.
It's certainly a different playstyle, lot of hiding on rooftops - I need to figure out a way to build bridges from one roof to the next.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Finally over that dumb mood penalty :dance:

Also I've started to look into reloading ammo and the description for mixed powder says that you need to be desperate to reload with it. Does it actually have any negative effects or is it just flavor text?

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 22, 2020

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Leukocyte Breeder keeps your Health value maxed out as long as you keep feeding it power so you'll always be feeling amazing.

Unless you turn it off. Bad things happen if you turn it off.

Tin Tim posted:

Also I've started to look into relaoding ammo and the description for mixed powder says that you need to be desperate to reload with it. Does it actually have any negative effects or is it just flavor text?

If you're running Stable (and based on those damage values you are), why reload bullets? That bow will serve you just fine.
(Equip and fill quivers to boost your ROF, and set autopickup manager to grab arrows automatically)

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 22, 2020

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Well mostly due to the composite bow not having enough range and burst damage potential against harder targets. Keep in mind that this was a crit against a zombie child. Sure it does good numbers against most fleshy targets once you can make broadhead arrows, but anything with armor will see a sharp damage drop. I know that the compound bow is stronger and kinda busted in stable but you also need to find one first. And guns are cool and fun to use so I'd like to restock my shotgun ammo without maybe killing myself because I wouldn't put it past the game to include such a chance on mixed powder loads :v:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

How does the steel chain stack up as a weapon? I'm guessing it uses Bashing skill, but the stunning and bonus unarmed followup attack seem intriguing.

its slow as gently caress which is the balance. I haven't messed with it too much but if you have to deal with more than one or two at a time it's a losing proposition, in that limited experience.

It kills poo poo real nice 1v1 or even 1v2 though.

Tin Tim posted:

Also I've started to look into reloading ammo and the description for mixed powder says that you need to be desperate to reload with it. Does it actually have any negative effects or is it just flavor text?

wait am I just oblivious? does the mood penalty go away once you execute enough kids?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AFAIK reloaded ammo jams but doesn't actually explode.

Do remember to clean and lube your gun regularly though to keep jams down.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

HiroProtagonist posted:

its slow as gently caress which is the balance. I haven't messed with it too much but if you have to deal with more than one or two at a time it's a losing proposition, in that limited experience.

It kills poo poo real nice 1v1 or even 1v2 though.

wait am I just oblivious? does the mood penalty go away once you execute enough kids?

Yes. Eventually you stop caring about killing zombies and if you kill enough humans you stop caring about them too. It's subtle but the game does slowly make you more and more uncaring.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Cataclysm: It's subtle but the game does slowly make you more and more uncaring.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lone Badger posted:

Leukocyte Breeder keeps your Health value maxed out as long as you keep feeding it power so you'll always be feeling amazing.

Unless you turn it off. Bad things happen if you turn it off.

If you're running Stable (and based on those damage values you are), why reload bullets? That bow will serve you just fine.
(Equip and fill quivers to boost your ROF, and set autopickup manager to grab arrows automatically)

oh no, do they nerf bows?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

oh no, do they nerf bows?

Stable was released during a very brief period when bows got hella buffed. They subsequently took away the damage buff while leaving the nerfs (compound bows not craftable, remove greatbows, etc) in-place.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bows are nerfed but what about crossbows? I jumped from a 2018 build to most recent experimental

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Crossbows have remained steadily useless for a while AFAIK.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

drat, my last big playthrough crossbows were owning even giant hornets

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Currently however it is very easy to get an M4 and several thousand bullets, so just use thst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My understanding of the situation is that bows have waffled back and forth between useless garbage and the greatest weapon to ever grace a survivors hand for years now, and will probably seesaw back to glory in a couple months.