Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
So the contents of a fairly well-stocked garage and two hardware stores have fallen into my lap.. said garage being now my fortified base.. and I just, on a scouting trip, found a perfectly functional semitruck. This gunna be fun. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
I have just had the luckiest start I've ever had. Right outside the evac shelter was a bunch of dead dudes with backpacks, enough drugs to kill an elephant and a machete. One of the first buildings in the town is a grocery store where I pick up a shopping cart and a weeks worth of canned goods, the next building is a pawn shop where I trade my backpack up for a military rucksack and my machete for a loving broadsword. Then crossed the street to a hardware store and grab some supplies, just to go to the parking lot around the corner and find a perfectly workable scooter that I welded my shopping cart to to create my own shop n' scoot. Then I found a gun store with enough .45 and buckshot to clear the whole town if I wanted to.

I've blatantly cheated before and had characters start off worse that this, I'm just blindly moving him forward now out of morbid curiosity to see what the death of the luckiest man who ever lived is going to be like.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My dumbest death so far this time around has been my loving muscle memory. I was playing with fonts and font sizes trying to find something I liked, and was just hammering play now and suiciding each character to quit out and adjust things. Found one I wanted to give a little time so I started up and played for an hour or so, then decided to tweak it more. Save and quit, fiddle, load, no it's not quite right yet, and instead of saving again I suicided before I even realized what I was doing. On the bright side nothing spectacular had happened to that guy, but poo poo. This game is hard enough without my own stupidity helping it kill me.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Tyskil posted:

I have just had the luckiest start I've ever had. Right outside the evac shelter was a bunch of dead dudes with backpacks, enough drugs to kill an elephant and a machete. One of the first buildings in the town is a grocery store where I pick up a shopping cart and a weeks worth of canned goods, the next building is a pawn shop where I trade my backpack up for a military rucksack and my machete for a loving broadsword. Then crossed the street to a hardware store and grab some supplies, just to go to the parking lot around the corner and find a perfectly workable scooter that I welded my shopping cart to to create my own shop n' scoot. Then I found a gun store with enough .45 and buckshot to clear the whole town if I wanted to.

I've blatantly cheated before and had characters start off worse that this, I'm just blindly moving him forward now out of morbid curiosity to see what the death of the luckiest man who ever lived is going to be like.

Luckiest guy I had stumbled upon no less than 3 groups of dead army soldiers within the first 20 minutes of gameplay. I was loaded down like a space marine.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Do puddles and pools still spawn randomly? I haven't found one in half a dozen games or so and they were always important as a water source for me. With towns being hellish it's hard to just raid for bottles or toilet tanks, so I'm finding water in general to be a much bigger issue than it used to be. I want to set up shop in my evac shelter until I find something better but I'm really at a loss for what to do for easy (or easyish, I'm not picky) water.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
How viable, exactly, is constructing a vehicle of your own in this game? I've been pulling apart car and truck hulks for spare parts left and right and am slowly beginning to appreciate the thought of building a giant death crawler on wheels to be a mobile base. Could plonk a couple of turrets down on the outer shell to add to the firepower.

Frog Assassin posted:

Do puddles and pools still spawn randomly? I haven't found one in half a dozen games or so and they were always important as a water source for me. With towns being hellish it's hard to just raid for bottles or toilet tanks, so I'm finding water in general to be a much bigger issue than it used to be. I want to set up shop in my evac shelter until I find something better but I'm really at a loss for what to do for easy (or easyish, I'm not picky) water.

A funnel is a relatively painless source of water - you'd need to find one in a town, though, unless there's a crafting recipe I'm unaware of. (Seriously, a big plastic funnel like that? You could fiddle one together out of plastic bags and duct tape, or a spare raincoat or something). All you need is to set it up outdoors outside your shelter, then activate it during rain (drizzle, rain or thundestorm, everything works) with a liquid container in your inventory and you'll just fill the whole thing up in one go. Of course that means you need to rely on it raining, but having a big enough storage capacity for water should help with that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

How viable, exactly, is constructing a vehicle of your own in this game? I've been pulling apart car and truck hulks for spare parts left and right and am slowly beginning to appreciate the thought of building a giant death crawler on wheels to be a mobile base. Could plonk a couple of turrets down on the outer shell to add to the firepower.

Very viable, honestly. The main impediment is mechanical skill (you need at least some to get started in the tree, or a book) and finding the tools. Most of the tools can be made with fabrication, though a proper welder will save you a lot of batteries.

Basically all you need is a welder, a wrench, a hacksaw, and a shitton of batteries. Once you find all that you can basically hack apart anything you come across and tape it to your own vehicle.

The bigger and more complex your vehicle, however, the more mechanical skill you will need to add more parts. It is often best to start with something like an RV if you're going to go for a doom base.

Also make sure you put ALL the fuel tanks on it, because if your vehicle is a gas guzzler you want to refuel it as little as possible (fuel pumps have a chance to break when you use them).

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh, I have all that - welder, welding goggles, hacksaw, a fuckton of batteries and the capacity to make more. (Ammonia and basically all the scrap metal and empty cans in the world) I also lucked out by raiding a school library and finding the two first skill books for mechanics and ALL the skill books for electronics - I can build all sorts of crazy stuff.

Now I just need to get planning while I train up my Mechanics more - thankfully disassembling vehicles trains the skill, too, so I can just rip apart hulks for component AND boost the skill. A gallonful of gas also gave me just enough juice to power up the semi truck I found earlier and reach a nearby gas station, so it's currently sitting next to my home garage at full charge.

I suppose I'm going to make this thing basically somewhat wider to accommodate a set of expanded living quarters - an RV kitchen unit, sleeping quarters, and a crafting workshop with expanded storage capacity. I also managed to find and repair a suit of powered armor, so I'm going to build a docking bay of sorts for the suit. Probably going to add wheels, too, it'll basically be this massive fuckoff truck with armor plating and turret mounts all over.

Speaking of armor plating, how exactly does installing that work on a car? do I just add plating over a section and it's considered 'armored'? Can I plate over wheels? How about windshields, is there anything more durable than the stock glass paneling?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plating over a section I think means that the section will take damage to the plating, instead of the components.

Yes you can plate over wheels, you can also install wheels underneath the body however so you could create a sort of tank by doing that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Making your own deathmobile is seriously one of the most fun things you can do in Cataclysm. It's ridiculously satisfying when you finally get done putting hardened armor on everything and punch through three houses without even slowing down.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drake_263 posted:

A funnel is a relatively painless source of water - you'd need to find one in a town, though, unless there's a crafting recipe I'm unaware of. (Seriously, a big plastic funnel like that? You could fiddle one together out of plastic bags and duct tape, or a spare raincoat or something). All you need is to set it up outdoors outside your shelter, then activate it during rain (drizzle, rain or thundestorm, everything works) with a liquid container in your inventory and you'll just fill the whole thing up in one go. Of course that means you need to rely on it raining, but having a big enough storage capacity for water should help with that.

Funnels don't work like that any more. They fill a container placed on the tile they are set up in overtime when it is raining. Also you can make your own funnels.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Funnels don't work like that any more. They fill a container placed on the tile they are set up in overtime when it is raining. Also you can make your own funnels.

About this, is there a bug with them? I set up a couple of makeshift funnels and they won't fill gallon jugs or steel jerrycans at all, not one drop. It worked once with a makeshift and once with a proper one on the same game, but now none of my makeshifts will do anything.

I am in a sewage plant so I've been drinking boiled sewage but it is a bit of a pain to keep refilling it.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So is there a way to go back to good old ASCII now? Too many graphics make my cheetos taste too much like cheese and scare my neckbeard.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Ahhh, I see. I'm actually still playing the previous version on this character, it was going so well I figured I'd switch up when he got killed.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

T-man posted:

So is there a way to go back to good old ASCII now? Too many graphics make my cheetos taste too much like cheese and scare my neckbeard.

Isn't there an option to do that in the normal options menu? There was a week or two ago.

DeltaOmega
Oct 22, 2007
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE READ THE STUFF ON THE RIGHT!!!
What items do you need to repair plastic, kevlar, and metal clothing?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DeltaOmega posted:

What items do you need to repair plastic, kevlar, and metal clothing?

Plastic chunks, kevlar plates, or scrap metal, respectively, and a soldering iron or a welding kit. Soldering iron is sufficient for plastic and kevlar, but you MIGHT need an actual welder for metal, not quite sure. either way, they also require batteries to power them.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Doug Lombardi posted:

Bone meal is a real fertilizer, popular with organic types.

In terms of game mechanics and how to use it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

esquilax posted:

Isn't there an option to do that in the normal options menu? There was a week or two ago.

You can, although I've found it to not position the characters right. There is also a curses version which doesn't have any gfx that I linked a page ago.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Seeds seem to only come from unpicked plants from what I've seen so far. Though I can imagine them putting in an agriculture store at some point.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I seem to be encountering a very useful bug. Whenever I assault a military outpost and die, when I return with a new character all the turrets and zombies have mysteriously died. Thanks to this, I now have 3 LAWs, a Flash rocket launcher with additional ammo, a M302 with various rounds, armor and other clothing out the rear end, food, tons of medical supplies, and a plethora of upgrades for my few guns (but no ammo). What should I do now? :getin:

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

The Droid posted:

I seem to be encountering a very useful bug. Whenever I assault a military outpost and die, when I return with a new character all the turrets and zombies have mysteriously died. Thanks to this, I now have 3 LAWs, a Flash rocket launcher with additional ammo, a M302 with various rounds, armor and other clothing out the rear end, food, tons of medical supplies, and a plethora of upgrades for my few guns (but no ammo). What should I do now? :getin:

Clear a town in a day.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
So I downloaded this and tried it out.

Most successful life involved running around in a wolf suit and beating various undead to death with a crowbar. Didn't figure out any thing important like health care or crafting before succumbing to a slow death at 50 kills at the first night.

I'm doing this either the wrong or right way, I can't tell.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Do USB drives serve any purpose? I've checked the wiki, but I haven't been able to find any use for them.

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

Tirius posted:

Do USB drives serve any purpose? I've checked the wiki, but I haven't been able to find any use for them.

I've seen USB drives with "hackPRO" software on it before but I'm not sure what it does besides the obvious.

So while I was diving into houses to get enough batteries to weld another shopping cart onto my scooter I found a grenade that had it's name spelled like that one developer, Granade. I'm saving it for a rainy day but I half expect it to just pop confetti when I throw it.

Also holy poo poo I had forgotten just how fun driving in this game is. Snaking through the field doing drive-bys on bears never gets old.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
PDA's can get software from the software loaded USB's to help you with things, like first aid. Generic USB's are used by NPC quests to retrieve stuff from consoles.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

My Cataclysm instincts are slowly starting to wake up from dormancy. Not much trouble making it a few days each time now, though I inevitably bite off just a tiny bit more than I can chew and that's the end of me. I'm impressed at the number of new building types on the map. My only real beef so far is making molotov cocktails seems to be really funky. I'm not quite sure how it's done now, since apparently just stuffing a rag in a bottle of whiskey is a no go.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm doing this either the wrong or right way, I can't tell.

You're doing it right. For every serious run of this game I've ever done I've also done five others where I'm screaming down the road at 120mph tripping balls on meth, coke, weed and tequila trying to see just how much damage I can do in one hit, or testing out found military hardware on innocent megastores, or seeing how many buildings I can simultaneously have on fire, or donning a trenchcoat and nothing else and hacking my way through a horde with a katana in one hand, a bottle of rum in the other, and a cigarette in my mouth.

Even in more serious attempts at the game once you've established yourself it basically turns into an episode of Jackass.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Speaking of shopping carts, how do you pull them?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

The Droid posted:

Wiki says you stand next to it, press G, then select the shopping cart, then start pushin'.

Also, holyshit, I now have TWO semitrucks. Plus oodles of materials from various car hulks and crash sites I've torn apart for supplies. Time to make my version of a freaking Land Raider, ohyes~

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

The Droid posted:

Shift-g

Edit: Nutballs!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

Wiki says you stand next to it, press G, then select the shopping cart, then start pushin'.

Also, holyshit, I now have TWO semitrucks. Plus oodles of materials from various car hulks and crash sites I've torn apart for supplies. Time to make my version of a freaking Land Raider, ohyes~

Shift and G and then move towards the cart.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Hmn. There's a fungal spire somewhere not too far away from town, went scouting on a repaired motorbike and ran into a giant pack of fungal zombies and fungaloids.

On the pro side, I found a group of dead scientists, then started wondering about a green asterisk lying in the road.. a mininuke. That might just solve the whole fungal spire problem :getin:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have not played this game in a long time, so I am many versions out of date, I just got the new one. I started out.

Cleared a few houses, killed a few zombies, I have a few basic supplies. I need to start stashing stuff somewhere and set up a place to sleep. I found a sewage treatment plant on the outskirts of town, away from the forest. It has one entrance and exit and the walls look sturdy.

1. Can zombies break those down?

2. There are big pools of toxic water. I do not plan to go in them. Is there any danger of sleeping near them or storing stuff in here?

3. Is there any other hidden downside to using this place as my base, beside the fact that it has only one exit/entrance, so I may be trapped? It seems to be out in the middle of nowhere and I took that perk that makes you less likely to be seen while sleeping AND light step.

4. Unrelated. Are there crafting recipes that only show up as you gain more skills, or the ones you can see, are all the ones in the game?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I think zombies can only break though fences, windows, and doors; not walls.
No idea if the toxic water is harmful with long term exposure, I know radiation is in the game though.
Zombies only swarm you if you lead them back to your base, although if you are playing with the non-default dynamic spawn setting they might spawn near your base and then smell/hear you.
The great majority of crafting recipes unlock on higher skill levels, and there are a few that you can learn from reading books.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Zombie hulks (with a capital H) have the DESTROYS tag, so they're capable of smashing through solid walls. Other zombies have to come through doors, windows and other similar points of weakness.

Also, holycrap, raided a military bunker and one of the vaults was chock-full of inactive turrets and manhacks. Another had a bunch of LAWs, a grenade launcher, and a couple 40mm grenades of various types in there. Baddabig baddefrikkenboom!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Could someone please explain the circular distances and skill rust options to me? The circular distances description is cut off in the options menu and the skill rust one is very vague, I don't understand what the capped and intcapped stuff means. Searching the official forums isn't giving me much info. Thanks in advance.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Frog Assassin posted:

Could someone please explain the circular distances and skill rust options to me? The circular distances description is cut off in the options menu and the skill rust one is very vague, I don't understand what the capped and intcapped stuff means. Searching the official forums isn't giving me much info. Thanks in advance.

Circular distances alters the way the game handles diagonal distances - right now a diagonal 'step' is considered to be just as long a distance as a non-diagonal step, so for example weapon ranges are neat squares centered on your character. Circular distances makes the game use actual trigonometry to measure ranges, and therefore gives you a more 'natural' rounded range measure.

As for skill rust, it's mechanic that (theoretically) keeps a character from simply becoming a master of all trades. Basically, if skill rust is active, when you do NOt use a skill for an extended period, it begins to degrade. The first option (capped) means you'll lose training points but not actual skill ranks - so for example if your Archery is at level 4 (65%) and you swap over to shotguns entirely, your archery'll gradually degrade down to Level 4 (0%) but not any lower than that. The second (uncapped) option means that a skill can and will degrade all the way down to level 0 if given enough time with zero practice.

Personally I play with skill rust turned off, the game fucks you over enough with various bugs and unfinished features without it eating away your skill points while it's at it.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Drake_263 posted:

How do I use a funnel? I activated it and set it, but I cannot figure out how to put anything under it. It rained and did not collect any water.

Do I need to actually use the funnel only when it rains and stand there and get water, or do I set and forget it?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Nowadays you need to drop a container underneath it.

Also, I cannot overstate how important and useful shopping carts are. Not only do they let you store an ungodly amount of stuff without wearing encumbering gear, but they also act as portable rough terrain, which'll give you an edge in beating up stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

Diogines posted:

How do I use a funnel? I activated it and set it, but I cannot figure out how to put anything under it. It rained and did not collect any water.

Do I need to actually use the funnel only when it rains and stand there and get water, or do I set and forget it?

Just drop a container in the same square. It'll automatically fill them when it rains. A nice way to get acid.

Alright, is it just me or is it incredibly hard to hit things in Archery? I got to around level 3-4 archery, a longbow and a bunch of field arrows then went to take on a single zombie. I must have wasted something like 30 missed arrows before he got within 3-4 squares and I could finally hit him a few times. I can understand it being useful as a fallback ranged weapon when you have no bullets (just raid the woods for arrows), but am I doing something wrong or is it seriously this hard to hit something?

On reflection, it may have been influenced by me wearing armour. How much do things like arm guards and backpacks hinder your ranged capability?