Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Tin Tim posted:

When I first discovered the HUB I thought that it was neat even if the quests were real basic. Then they sent me to recover something from a collapsed building and it turned out to be miles and miles away deep in the heart of a giant city. How about no?

Also I've gone down into an old lab and was wondering why the lower floors were so dang big and just kept going and going until I checked my map and read "central lab". Turns out the lab was right next to a central lab (which has a sneaky surface entrance in the woods) and the third floor just melted together between both. Do not think this is supposed to generate like that because wth I've been exploring and looting for several in-game days and I still have another floor to go.

I mean look at this huge mess the game calls "floor 3"

Kinda dread the moment when I'm going to find another stair down on floor 4. Upside to this is that my loot pile on the surface is massive by now due to multiple finale rooms, armories, and serum/CBM vaults.

Labs are some of the oldest dungeons in the game. They're procedurally generated and many aspects of them are still hardcoded and not defined in JSON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, a lot of the stuff you'd want to stockpile you don't actually need that much of. Any time I finally abandon a character file I end up with a mountain of drugs, electronic parts, spare guns/launchers, rags, batteries, and miscellaneous crafting parts. In fact, reviewing the materials I have left over at the end of a character generally helps me figure out what I don't need to loot quite so much of next time.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That’s part of why I’m trying this Wayfarer+Nomad run. Limiting myself to whatever I can carry plus a single 150L shopping cart is making for a very different experience.

Also why I’m struggling for “purpose”, as usually assembling a deathmobile base is the big goal.

That said, moving around long distance is proving so awkward and tedious that I’m thinking of debugging to remove Wayfarer and building myself a simple dirt bike or similar small vehicle (still with only ~150L storage) and using that. (Edit: are there any places where off-road motorbikes tend to spawn? Car dealerships? Bicycle stores?)

Unrelated but sawing off barrels really sucks now doesn’t it? I found a double barre shotgun and was excited to craft a sawn-off as a reliable “oh poo poo” sidearm. But apparently some point the craft recipe was removed and instead you use a hacksaw, toolbox, or similar to apply an unremovable mod to the gun. A mod that barely reduces its weight or length. The double barrel shotgun went from a hair under 3L to about 2.7L. The old sawn off was I think 1.5L? Small enough to put in an XL holster.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 15, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I really wish there was a fast travel system. Magiclysm has a teleporter you can construct and warp to with the right spell, but spells always felt super rare and I've climbed about 6 wizard towers in my current game only to find 3 scrolls, so the odds you luck into the teleport spell isn't great. With as expansive as the game world gets an accessible warp system would be a godsend.
Actually, spell progression seems really weird in general. Even in characters who I gave starting perks for extra mana, and who focused on spellcasting (as much as is possible, anyway) I don't think I ever got a spell over level 2, maybe 3. Many go to 10 or 20. Actually casting them gives practically no experience, and in the time it takes you to level up a single spell a marginal amount (generally 1 level) you could probably just level up any normal skill from reading, sometimes twice. Time is a resource so it's not like you can just spend weeks on end just studying one spell, either. Feels like it needs some kind of rebalance, or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Spell experience is influenced by intelligence and focus, so cast all your int buffs before training and do it when you've got 100+ focus. Also look for magic schools if you want spells, they usually have a bunch of books in a library plus some magic items. You're right that Magiclysm's balance is all over the place though, it's why I stopped using it. Pretty much everything is either completely useless or destroys everything in the base game and even internal balance is pretty much non-existent. Like there's a level 5 spell for each stat that gives +4 to it for a moderate duration, then there's a level 4 spell that's cheaper and lasts longer and gives +4 to dex and int and +20 speed. The balance issue ruins the "picking one school locks out another" system too since there's basically a correct and very obvious choice if you're just going for power rather than a theme.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Inglonias posted:

Labs are some of the oldest dungeons in the game. They're procedurally generated and many aspects of them are still hardcoded and not defined in JSON.
I'm mostly aware but still think that it wasn't intended to generate on such a scale? Though tbh I didn't know that some stuff around the old design is still hardcoded and probably real tedious to fix. I've never seen a lab like this but maybe it's more common than I know? Seeing how fixing the old labs is probaly a big task, I wish that whoever came up with the re-worked lab design recognized that there is a middle ground between "large and empty" and "cramped and filled to the brim". I mean the lovely chem loot and low reward chance in the new labs is an issue in itself but the visual design and general room layout isn't bad. It does look much more like an actual lab compared to the old layout and the repetition in room designs is also a bit less noticeable. The rooms just needed to be a bit less cramped and the enemey numbers should have been dialed down by like 30% and we would have come close to an enjoyable dungeon

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, a lot of the stuff you'd want to stockpile you don't actually need that much of.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Limiting myself to whatever I can carry plus a single 150L shopping cart is making for a very different experience.
Pack rat best rat :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Me eventually turning a Hippie Van into a post-apocalypse mini-RV is pretty much an inevitability any time I get into this game, isn't it?

The Groover Mk3.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Me eventually turning a Hippie Van into a post-apocalypse mini-RV is pretty much an inevitability any time I get into this game, isn't it?

The Groover Mk3.

Same but coring out a MBT and basically making a mobile house.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I really wish there was a fast travel system.

Are you using the auto-move? Double tap shift+W on the overmap. Works pretty well for long distance between cities. Using the autotravel (look in the keybinding menu) also helps a lot when manually walking through dense tiles such as forests. Makes moving around without a vehicle super easy.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SpacePope posted:

Are you using the auto-move? Double tap shift+W on the overmap. Works pretty well for long distance between cities. Using the autotravel (look in the keybinding menu) also helps a lot when manually walking through dense tiles such as forests. Makes moving around without a vehicle super easy.

Yeah it's kind of ironic that traveling on foot is faster than using a vehicle (in real time). I mean the fast travel does technically work while driving but the pathfinding just uses roads and stops if anything is directly in the one straight path it chose, so not very useful.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

There's some big improvements coming to the autodrive : https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/49772

SpacePope fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 19, 2021

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

PS Bright Nights is good. Very good. Forget the dark days.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Galaga Galaxian posted:

PS Bright Nights is good. Very good. Forget the dark days.

There is basically no reason to actually play dark days outside maaaaybe the pocket/container system (which will likely eventually be brought into BN in some form once that jankiness is worked out) or some sort of weird game purity thing.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed, bright nights rules

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Telsa Cola posted:

There is basically no reason to actually play dark days outside maaaaybe the pocket/container system (which will likely eventually be brought into BN in some form once that jankiness is worked out) or some sort of weird game purity thing.

IIRC Someone is actually working on some kinda system on the BN Discord.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm a big fan of the local electric grid system, looking forward to the day I can power a home base and crafting systems without needing to make a fake vehicle there.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I forgot how frustrating summer heat can be. Wearing gear that is 15 warmth tops, still getting a -12% overheating penalty. Hit the thermometer on my diver's watch. Ambient temperature: 60F. :raise:

Painstakingly gather a much inferior set of gear that is mostly 5 warmth, still overheating. I'll just stick to my normal stuff then!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I forgot how frustrating summer heat can be. Wearing gear that is 15 warmth tops, still getting a -12% overheating penalty. Hit the thermometer on my diver's watch. Ambient temperature: 60F. :raise:

Painstakingly gather a much inferior set of gear that is mostly 5 warmth, still overheating. I'll just stick to my normal stuff then!

i just attribute it to new englanders being babies when it comes to heat. still extremely silly though. i basically just run around with some kevlar reinforced longsleeves and cargo pants in the summer.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

the right way to beat the heat is to master the blade and run around stark naked with nothing but your unbreakable Hanzo-steel katana

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Famously scorching New England, where it gets so hot you can't even wear a backpack without overheating.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

60F in late July in New England???

*taps diver watch*

*dial moves to 59F*

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Same but coring out a MBT and basically making a mobile house.

I tend to use an APC. Lighter and easier to find.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Heavily armored death mobiles are kinda boring. I mostly use my Grover as a mobile base, parking it outside towns and then wandering in on foot or in a small loot cart to do poo poo. The 50cal is half for show and half for sudden roadside ohshit.

Btw are vehicles mounted to a bike rack considered part of the parent vehicle for the purposes of power charging? Tempted to make what is basically an electrical mobility scooter.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I'm a big fan of the local electric grid system, looking forward to the day I can power a home base and crafting systems without needing to make a fake vehicle there.

It'll be great, assuming a reason to have a base in the first place comes along with it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Cataclysm (both branches) have had a “Bordered” scenario added that puts a 20square thick wall of durable material around the initial map sector (aka roughly the area that would be revealed by the debug map reveal function), I kinda want to try to make a world using this that is basically a single giant MegaCity and try to escape/survive it.

Escape from Z-York.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ooh I like the sound of that

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The wall extends deep and high on the Z levels too. The intent is to trap you in the initial area. Though you can dig through eventually with a pickaxe/jackhammer/explosives, but that is considered against the “spirit of the rules”.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wish you could have a pocket base. Or a Magiclysm spell that casts town portal back to your base.
Building a base is fun and cool but until we get some kind of easy accessibility or genuine fast travel (autopilot doesn't really count, at least as yet) then it feels like wasted effort. A 1 map tile pocket dimension would be a cool spell to keep around.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The only escape method I will accept is a deathmobile fast enough and heavy enough to smash through in one hit.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

After skimming some bookshelves and seeing yet another copy of "101 Wrestling Moves" I am reminded how disappointed I am that "Pro Wrestling" isn't a martial art style. Though I'm not sure what it would contain.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Vib Rib posted:

I wish you could have a pocket base. Or a Magiclysm spell that casts town portal back to your base.
Building a base is fun and cool but until we get some kind of easy accessibility or genuine fast travel (autopilot doesn't really count, at least as yet) then it feels like wasted effort. A 1 map tile pocket dimension would be a cool spell to keep around.

Magiclysm does indeed have a portal system! You can build a "Translocator Gate" through the construction menu and if you find the "Translocate Self" spell you can warp to any constructed/activated gate! Just gotta stock up on teleporters to build gates on site :v: If you choose the start that's something like "Wizard's Basement" (the description mentions your master "having an accident") that starts you in a basement with the spellbook and a pre-built gate behind a secret door.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 21, 2021

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

The Lone Badger posted:

The only escape method I will accept is a deathmobile fast enough and heavy enough to smash through in one hit.
Might get disappointed on that front. I skimmed through one playthrough where Vorm built a huge vehicle with cells for captured creatures on the inside and in the end they floored it straight down the road into a city. Depsite being the biggest vehicle I've ever seen in the game it shattered kinda right away and the game had a seizure before the death screen finally came

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Doomsayer posted:

Magiclysm does indeed have a portal system! You can build a "Translocator Gate" through the construction menu and if you find the "Translocate Self" spell you can warp to any constructed/activated gate! Just gotta stock up on teleporters to build gates on site :v: If you choose the start that's something like "Wizard's Basement" (the description mentions your master "having an accident") that starts you in a basement with the spellbook and a pre-built gate behind a secret door.
Yeah, it's definitely the closest we've got and a sort of "temporary gate" version of the spell that just town portals you would be pretty nice.
It does also mean you can just piggyback that code onto a much cheaper item or furniture, though! Friend of mine made a mod where you can turn any medium or large boulder into a teleport location for pretty minimal cost just so there's some kind of accessible system in case you don't luck into that gate spell. Probably not up to date anymore though.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Might get disappointed on that front. I skimmed through one playthrough where Vorm built a huge vehicle with cells for captured creatures on the inside and in the end they floored it straight down the road into a city. Depsite being the biggest vehicle I've ever seen in the game it shattered kinda right away and the game had a seizure before the death screen finally came

I lost an end game god character to a brute entering my vehicle through a diagonal opening (was running over a bunch of zombies and got turned). The brute punched me out of my seat and into the back wall of the cab which was moving fast enough to kill me on impact.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That’s why the absurdist death mobiles have double-thick hulls! :v:

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Man it sure is convenient that an entire mob of powerful zombies just kinda caught on fire and died across from that hospital. Now I can't wait to finally start clearing it..... out...

I guess that's where all that fire came from.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I lost an end game god character to a brute entering my vehicle through a diagonal opening (was running over a bunch of zombies and got turned). The brute punched me out of my seat and into the back wall of the cab which was moving fast enough to kill me on impact.

I don't think that's possible anymore?

Rattus Maximus
Nov 30, 2003

hssssss
Was turning my SUV just a minute ago and a zombie child made a diagonal into my car and just sat next to me as I rampaged through town.

On another note, I haven't found a single tailor's kit on my current playthrough. Made a bone needle and all that but the complete and total lack of tailor's kits has been incredibly weird. Like the entire city having not a single one. Mod/experimental build wackiness maybe?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Rattus Maximus posted:

Was turning my SUV just a minute ago and a zombie child made a diagonal into my car and just sat next to me as I rampaged through town.

On another note, I haven't found a single tailor's kit on my current playthrough. Made a bone needle and all that but the complete and total lack of tailor's kits has been incredibly weird. Like the entire city having not a single one. Mod/experimental build wackiness maybe?
In one of the latest builds they reduced the spawn of all tools to ~10%, and toolboxes (which, reminder, are still empty) to about 2%. The stated goal is to keep people from rising through the "tech tree" too quickly and encourage them to make their own tools. Kevin also said realistically, tools would be the first thing to be looted so it makes sense they'd be missing from stores and homes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lol that was one of the one things where someone ever managed to get kevan to accept realism that made things LESS tedius instead of more, now he's rolling it back?