Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

RabidWeasel posted:

Pretty sure I saw a change in experimental recently which made starting mutations contribute towards mutation direction so it's now possible to get down a certain mutation pathway more easily based on your starting setup
Oh, nice

Is that transfered over to bright nights or not? Might get to play again. Always enjoyed a stupid cyborgraptor run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

one day i will survive more than a single day in this game. i want to make a good mutant but every time i try to start as an experiment guy i get killed in the forest by something horrible

i want to turn into the ultimate slime man or idk something else gross. i am less interested in turning into a furry so i would like a good starting build for cool guy mutations if anyone knows one

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

World Famous W posted:

Oh, nice
Oh, mice

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

juggalo baby coffin posted:

one day i will survive more than a single day in this game. i want to make a good mutant but every time i try to start as an experiment guy i get killed in the forest by something horrible

i want to turn into the ultimate slime man or idk something else gross. i am less interested in turning into a furry so i would like a good starting build for cool guy mutations if anyone knows one

Why/how do you tend to die? Also DDA or BN?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Aim for making a crude sword on day 1 and a gambeson on day 1/2. You can take out plenty of normal zombies with these.

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/sword_crude/craft

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/gambeson/craft

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Quarterstaff and knife spear are also good weapons that are relatively easy to make on day one

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you need a weapon immediately it's hard to go wrong with a cudgel. I don't recall if makeshift crowbars are still worth using, though. Throwing can be valuable early on when you're not ready to take on zombies in direct combat and with a handful of pebbles and a target circle you can level up throwing to 1 (or 2, if you're dedicated) in just a few minutes, both IRL and in-game. Throwing rocks and the like at unarmored zombies can get you started well enough.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Makeshift crowbar is absolutely worth making, but for looting reasons, not combat.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
You want the good poo poo? I'll tell you what's the good poo poo. The makeshift machete! You'll need: Pliers (these are very common in kitchens), Duct Tape (this is very common in kitchens) and a lawnmower (you can scout for sheds in backyards and probably find one of these). Disassemble the lawn mower with the pliers, take the two blades that you should get from the disassembly, this can be two makeshift machetes*. Apply duct tape to blade, profit.

*It can also, later, be some other things but by the time you're looking into crafting better weapons you'll probably have found a decent axe or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You can grab a few levels in survival with minimal effort from rummaging in undergrowth (easily found all over the place in forests) or picking cattails (same but swamps). Cattails are even actually useful since you can make cattail jelly (a cheap antiseptic) out of them if you find the recipe.

You can also get a few levels in fabrication and tailoring by smashing up / tearing down furniture and crafting it into trash like fishing hooks.

Those levels will let you craft some actually useful stuff, like the aforementioned crude sword.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
These are all fine options but bare bones minimal you can get very far with a cudgel, which is extremely easy to craft even in a woods start.

The other vital thing to know is that tile obstructions/terrain have a tremendous impact on your or your enemies speed, and act as a force multiplier. Its entirely feasible to kill a zombie that you kited onto a bush with out taking a hit, or it even getting a move.

The bonus to the above is if you have enough time or have a quick fire lighting option you can set the bush or whatever on fire which will constantly damage whatever is on the tile. Fire also I believe scares away certain monsters which can be handy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah, for your first few fights, at least until you reach more comfortable levels in melee, dodging, and your chosen weapon type, you pretty much only want to fight zombies as they're climbing over things, and never have two within melee range at once. Funnel them into choke points, shove furniture in their way if you have the distance, lure them over bushes. If you find a half-constructed house you can lure them into shallow and even deep pits for an even easier time. Just take the advantage of terrain at all costs. Until you get super confident or your skills are high enough to hold auto-attack and wait for zombie hordes to melt on you, this is just good strategy in general.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Cudgel is handy as it's usable by many martial arts which can use melee weapons.

I don't think any of the other starting weapons have that benefit.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Marenghi posted:

Cudgel is handy as it's usable by many martial arts which can use melee weapons.

I don't think any of the other starting weapons have that benefit.

It also has the rapid strike and stun traits iirc.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Why/how do you tend to die? Also DDA or BN?

Usually zombies (or some horrific forest monster that seek and destroys me right as i start the game), i just get torn up and when I try to avoid them by hiding in a house they just seem to home in on me even when my guy is reading a magazine with the curtains closed and a headlamp on.

I've been playing DDA, i dont know what BN is but if it's better i am not married to DDA

i just end up getting overwhelmed by zombies bc i can't seem to outrun them. I've been using all the helpful tips from the thread and making a cudgel and trapping them in bushes, which has let me go from always dying all the way to killing like 20 zombies in a run before i die.

i just get hosed over by the tough zombies and the soldier zombies bc the tough ones seem to be able to outrun me and the soldier ones are very tanky

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Usually zombies (or some horrific forest monster that seek and destroys me right as i start the game), i just get torn up and when I try to avoid them by hiding in a house they just seem to home in on me even when my guy is reading a magazine with the curtains closed and a headlamp on.

I've been playing DDA, i dont know what BN is but if it's better i am not married to DDA

i just end up getting overwhelmed by zombies bc i can't seem to outrun them. I've been using all the helpful tips from the thread and making a cudgel and trapping them in bushes, which has let me go from always dying all the way to killing like 20 zombies in a run before i die.

i just get hosed over by the tough zombies and the soldier zombies bc the tough ones seem to be able to outrun me and the soldier ones are very tanky

BN is Bright Nights and is a fork of DDA that many people, including myself, find way better then DDA.

There is a smell system in place which is one way zombies home in on you. If you also have that roaming spawn checked for world gen that can also do it. Also if you hide in a house always hide in the last/first house in the neighborhood, if you clear out the surrounding zeds you are less likely to have other ones walk up into your poo poo and if they do you can always run out and in the opposite direction of the town/city/neighborhood which will drastically cut down on the chance you'll run into more zeds.

Tough zombies should not be able to outrun you if you are actually using the run function, though this can tire you out a lot.

Soldier zombies are always a run away from early game unless you trap em on a burning bush, though they do sometimes carry grenades which can cook off. I tend to avoid them unless I have a legitimate weapon like a real sword or something.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

This is a double post but whatever its 2022.

Generally my early game strategy is this, and it tends to always work.

1. Make a cudgel or a two by sword.

2. Find a small neighborhood or street that is lined with houses that is not in the immediate vicinity of any "special" buildings (grocery stores, gun stores, electronic stores etc" this is because I'm fairly sure these have a different spawn table than generic houses early on in the game and I don't need to deal with that poo poo.

3. Clear out the zombies (maybe 10-20) around the first house of the neighborhood, if you are walking into the neighborhood from out side the town or whatever. Generally I like to clear 2-3 houses down so I can be reasonably sure I won't get suprised. Kite small groups of zombies through houses to help stagger them and delay them enough that you can kill them. Doors and windows are your friends.

4. Enter first house, close all blinds facing towards city center, open all blinds facing the wilderness or whatever opposite city center. Now I have enough light but am reasonably certain that most zeds are not going to be able to see in (They would have to wander past the cleared area and then across the entire house).

5. Assess food/supplies, between the house you are based off of and the 2-6 others (if street has houses on both sides) you should have enough books,food, crafting materials to get you to mid game tier poo poo.

6. Progess to whatever build I want.

7.?????

8. Profit

Some other important info is basements are death traps if you are not geared for them and can turn a relatively safe base into a zombie infestation since zeds will follow you up stairs once they see you. Never go down them unless you have enough lights and gear to be certain you can clear out some tough zeds, especially if its currently your home base.

Avoid any group over 2-3 zombies until later in the game when you have better gear. I have extremely late game equipment and a group of 10 zeds still gives me issues because combat is tiring and stamina levels severely effect your combat abilities.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jan 19, 2022

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
re: stamina the weight of your weapon makes a massive difference to stamina consumption (possibly BN changed this, I don't play it) so if you're getting tired too fast try using the smallest possible weapon you can find which can actually kill things. Knives and (especially) batons can be surprisingly effective.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

re: stamina the weight of your weapon makes a massive difference to stamina consumption (possibly BN changed this, I don't play it) so if you're getting tired too fast try using the smallest possible weapon you can find which can actually kill things. Knives and (especially) batons can be surprisingly effective.

Yup, combat knives are extremely good for their size and weight and that and the military equipment is like the only good reason to try to tackle a single soldier zed early on, since they always drop them.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

i just end up getting overwhelmed by zombies bc i can't seem to outrun them.
Check the controls and you'll find keys that let you change your movement speed. It drains your stamina so you can't just zip around forever but using it tactically when needed is very helpful. However with proper move tactics you should be able to outpace basic zombs but it does require knowledge about the game, its turn system, zombie pathing, terrain types and obstacles. Imo the best thing for getting away is to break line of sight (los for short), before moving on and breaking los again around another obstacle. This way the zombs that follow your scent don't just spot you again after coming past the first obstacle you used to break los. Tbh there's a poo poo ton to say about the depth of proper movement and the game itself. I can't possibly cover it all so I'm just going to fire knowledge at you :cheers:

Most zombs path very directly towards you even from a distance. So if there is a minor obstacle like a bush or even something bigger like a table/chair in their way they usually take the straight path through it. This is great because depending on the obstacle it can take them mutlitple turns to move on from it. This is true for you as well so moving into an obstacle with a zomb directly on your butt is a real bad idea. But let's say you're in a house and suddenly a zomb bust through the window. You can then try to position yourself next to an obstacle in such a way that the zomb will most likely path through it and when they do you instantly gain like two free turns where you can hit your sprint mode and gain distance/break los. This is a real fundamental tactic for playing the game imo and should be practiced.

Another angle to this is that zombs tend to get stuck on some firm obstacles and cars are where you can really abuse this. If zombies are following you on the streets then try to get behind a car and place yourself next to a window so that you can be seen from their side. They'll hapilly waltz up to the car and rub themselves against it instead of just moving around the sides to catch you. Just leisurely stroll away in a straight line while they'll keep bashing the car in their way. This causes a lot of noise though so you maybe don't want to be so leisurely depending on the circumstances. You can also trap zombies in a lot of different types of cars by having them follow you inside before you quickly move through and close the door right behind you. Need to be careful though because you can't close a door when a zomb is on the tile already and you will be slowed by moving through seats. But if done right then they'll be stuck bashing down the door for a while while you can scoot away. This is another fundamental tactic imo and I do it a lot early on.

Some types of terrain also have higher movement costs but if you use common sense you shouldn't be troubled by it. However one nifty thing is that grass (actual tuffts of grass not just plain green gras tiles) hinders basic zombs enough that you can outpace them with your base movement. So it's often a good idea to flee outwards from a city into the fields/woods to use the grass/bushes. Zombs also don't recognize terrain hazards so you can have them path into pits, fire, or broken windows/metal scrap. It's tedious but possible to kill basic zombs by luring them through broken windows over and over again. They'll take cutting and bleed damage and will eventually go down. Hell, sometimes they even do it on their own if the circumstances lead them to move like that.

Imo another crucial thing for movement and survival in general is proper recon of your area. If you find yourself running from zombs into unknown areas which then reveal more zombs you're on the starting step of a death spiral. The mini map is your friend and you should pay close attention to it when outside in cities. You'll eventually learn to recognize when one or more red blips start moving towards you or your area instead of just shambling around and this is often your cue to take a moment and decide if you have to flee. You can also shift your view around to some degree (H, J, K, L, and : to center again) and check what types of visible houses, structures, or enemies are around you. You of course need game knowledge to know what types of areas you want to flee towards if you must but the basic principle of spatial awareness is still pretty important.

When it comes to survival tips then it's probably best when I roughly describe how I would play a general run of the game without any special goals or scenarios.

For the starting scenario you can take "evac" which starts you in a shelter next to a town. Probably the easiest and most relaxed start in the game. I personally like the "missed" start because it also gives you a town right away but it can be significantly more dangerous depending on the randomness of the starting location. However it's also more exciting and gives you a shot at some important loot on day 1 and maybe even a working car. My basic go-to profession is "national guard" because it starts you with a few nifty items like a small tool, some food+water, a big backpack and somewhat protective clothing. The clothes are especially good for me since they raise my odds to survive a few bad fights in the first few hours. It's all stuffed into your go-bag so you first want to unpack that in a safe place. Preferably some type of basement so you're not seen while setting your gear up. I also tend to give my chars the "medival swordfighting" style which isn't especially powerful but very reliable and effective. The 2-by-sword, nord, and crude sword are easily made (and they'll break so keep a spare) and crude swords generally deal with basic zombs well enough once you get your skills up. You also get a block+counter move with the style so you can kinda take more than one zomb at a time but don't get cocky. You still need to be deep into the game to easily cut through groups of basic zombs. The downside to the style is that it's hard to move up from crude swords without looting a real sword or getting deep into smithing.

Since you kinda measured your success with how many more kills you got it might be important to say that combat isn't exactly the focus of the game and certainly not early on for most characters. Like it's much more about avoiding encounters as much as possible until you're set-up right to "safely" fight. During my "missed" starts my top priority is to get out of the city ASAP and dodge every fight if possible. I do try to make a 2-by-sword in the safety of the basement but if I can't than the small tool can be used as a really weak knife. As said though, ideally I don't have to fight a single zomb on my way. To get out of town alive I use my knowledge and the methods of recon and movement tactics I mentioned earlier. I try to grab some basic stuff from houses on the outskirts of town if I can but leave most stuff behind. A bit of light food (no cans, too heavy), possibly a good piece of clothing or a smaller backpack, one of the bigger cooking pots, a good weapon if it presents itself, and most importantly different types of tools. I'm willing to take quite some risk for a day 1 wrench or hacksaw because they gate a lot of crafting and training methods. Hammers and screwdrivers are easily found in cupboards but real tools are a legit bottleneck in the game and I've had games where I was forced to grind up smithing to make them myself.

Once I make it out of the city I check the worldmap and try to find a lone farm or cabin in the woods which is at least somewhat close to my starting city. These locations are very unlikely to have zombs, will give a bit of random stuff, have things you can dismantle for other things, and are generally a safe area to stash your crap and work on your character. They often also have sources of water close by that you can boil and drink. All you need is one single tile of water to infinitely fill pots/tanks from it. Other people try to get a good car instead of a base early but I prefer to be static for a long time before I transition into roaming. If I can't easily find a good spot then I'm willing to walk a bit to maybe find another small city and search around it or try to get lucky and find a radio tower. Going to the top of the tower reveals a chunk of the worldmap so those are generally good to find but early on it's real helpful imo.

If I do find a decent spot without too much trouble then I hopefully have a window of a few days of food to basically sit and do whatever. For me that's usually getting the first few levels in survival and crafting related skills to upgrade my gear and take the first steps towards being self-sufficient. Once I feel like I've accomplished all that I can or run out of food I set my eyes on the nearest town for the first loot run. That's a whole new chapter in this book I'm writing though so let's stop it here for now lol

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Some other important info is basements are death traps if you are not geared for them and can turn a relatively safe base into a zombie infestation since zeds will follow you up stairs once they see you. Never go down them unless you have enough lights and gear to be certain you can clear out some tough zeds, especially if its currently your home base.
Ah yes, I still remember all the horrible basement encounters I went through when I got into this game. I think the sudden roach swarm was the worst no wait the random dissoluted devourer on day 1 was the worst ah no wait it was actually that kevlar zombie coming from the darkness and punching me off the stairs....it's very much advised to respect basements in this game :v:

It's not all bad though. On average there are more empty than filled basements but you still wanna handle them with care. Once you got a headlamp you can go down, flick it on and off, and then just gently caress off right away if you see zombies. If they aren't real close to the stairs then most won't follow you up and you only need to fight a couple if you wanna hang around. But there are only a very small number of reasons to fight them for the items in the different basement types imo. Dire need for tools or clothes may force you but outside of that it's just not worth the trouble. However you should still at least check out basements regularly if you can do it safely because there a few special types. I think most medium sized towns have a good chance for hiding one or two gunsmith or survivalist basements. And weed basements. So so many weed basements.

Telsa Cola posted:

Soldier zombies are always a run away from early game unless you trap em on a burning bush, though they do sometimes carry grenades which can cook off. I tend to avoid them unless I have a legitimate weapon like a real sword or something.
They are dangerous early but it helps to remember that their armor is mostly against cutting damage so blunt or pierce works a lot better. Bashing one with the quarterstaff isn't too much of an issue if you can take a few hits

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 19, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

i just end up getting overwhelmed by zombies bc i can't seem to outrun them.
heelies are sick as hell but unfortunately weak and even real blades are kind of an advanced playstyle

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bright Nights does away with most of the really obnoxious changes in Dark Days Ahead and I strongly recommend it especially for new players. Some of the new "realism" in DDA seems custom designed to just make poo poo more obnoxious.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

thank you all for the extensive advice. right now i am mostly struggling with getting a good backpack. i got tailoring up pretty high by scrapping a giant bed i found and crafting stuff out of the remains, but when i started making a hiking pack it A) is taking forever, like 15% after a dawn -> dark crafting session and B) i hosed up and ruined some materials so now i need to go and replace those before i can start crafting it again.

i have a little house and because i picked the Experiment start i am on the way to becoming a slime man. I picked robust genetics, genetic chaos, and slimy at the start and its been giving me some decent slime man mutations, although nothing super useful yet apart from fast healing. i got slimy hands and venomousness, but those dont affect my makeshift machete.

i found a dojo near my house and managed to learn.. silat? from one of the books there. it's a blade fighting style that goes with my machete really well. encumberance is really loving up my fighting ability so I can't go on any lengthy scavenger runs till i find a backpack.

for water i've been filling up gallon jugs at a nearby pond then boiling the water in a coffee maker, which has been going well. my guy has been alive for about a week now because I got the 'survive a week' achievement , but in honesty most of that week has been me crafting inside a house or sleeping.

i had a pretty scary encounter in a neighbouring town, which was originally where i wanted to settle but for reasons that will be obvious I had to leave. I was sleeping in what I thought was my house and my guy woke up to 'Pouf! Pouf!' noises. I ignored them and told him to go back to sleep, cause the sound symbols were all outside the house and far-ish away so I figured I was safer staying indoors till whatever it was left. Then the pouf noises started multiplying very rapidly. Then they were coming from the kitchen, which was very upsetting because I had boarded all the windows and the doors were closed and I hadn't heard any thumping or glass breaking sounds, just a million 'Pouf!' noises.

I got my guy out of bed and went to the kitchen to have a look. Everything had turned into grey fungus. the entire corner of the house was gone, and the entire field outside was just fungus, with weird fungus monsters going around, fungus trees growing, fungus shrubs blocking the driveway. the noise drew zombies, but the fungus monsters wrecked them and then the zombies became fungus zombies. The fungoid guys didn't seem hostile, but they were pooping out a wild amount of spores, some of which got on me.

I ran out of there as fast as I could, and took a dip in a deep pond once i got clear of town because i know from caves of qud that getting spores on you is no joke. I don't know if that town is there at all now, or if there's a vast wall of fungus heading to consume me now, but it was scary and very unexpected. it's been in-game days since the fungus incident so I think my guy is in the clear, maybe the slimy skin helped protect me from becoming a fungus man.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
uh oh

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

thank you all for the extensive advice. right now i am mostly struggling with getting a good backpack. i got tailoring up pretty high by scrapping a giant bed i found and crafting stuff out of the remains, but when i started making a hiking pack it A) is taking forever, like 15% after a dawn -> dark crafting session and B) i hosed up and ruined some materials so now i need to go and replace those before i can start crafting it again.
Ah yeah, that's the relatively new "proficiencies" mechanic that DDA added and BN chose to drop. I can't find what it's supposed to add to the gameplay other than making some recipes take about 20x as long.
Fungus is something I always turn off, too, because it quickly takes over the surrounding area and is extremely dangerous. There's no real way to fight it so all you can really do is leave for the next town, and hope it's not close to wherever you've set up your base.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Sounds like you figured out how to get over the initial hump :rms:

You probably aren't infected but if you are you will get some tells from your character in the message log. You can easily miss those while going about but pay attention to the message you get after sleeping. There are several types of message with different causes but the serious ones are fairly telling

Vib Rib posted:

I can't find what it's supposed to add to the gameplay other than making some recipes take about 20x as long.
I assume it was meant as a hamfisted way to "balance" the meta strat of sitting in a basement for a week and coming back out in survivor gear. Oh and realism of course :v:

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 20, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Fungus also destroys framerates

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i still havent figured out how to cook any meals cause i cant find how you make a campfire or w/e. it must be in the construct menu somewhere but i cant find it

my guy got depression from having to smash a whole pen full of furious labradors and then a barn with a few zombie children in it.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

i still havent figured out how to cook any meals cause i cant find how you make a campfire or w/e. it must be in the construct menu somewhere but i cant find it

my guy got depression from having to smash a whole pen full of furious labradors and then a barn with a few zombie children in it.

Toss poo poo into an oven by dropping wooden or flammable items on it. Light it on fire by using a match. The oven prevents the fire from spreading.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For scavenging try to find a shopping trolley. You can load a LOT of stuff into it and Grab it to pull it around with you.
A wheelbarrow works too in a pinch.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

my guy finally died. i think something messed up because i got an infected wound, but i couldn't cauterize it or put antiseptic on it in a way that affected it at all. if i tried to manually select cauterize by activating my knife, but it just said i don't have any wounds. unfortunately because it wasn't acting like a normal wound i didnt notice it till way late and by then it was too late to search for antibiotics or even save scum.

at first i thought my guy was getting weak from smoke inhalation from burning wood in the oven to fry up a whole bunch of labrador meat, so i went to sleep, which was a terrible idea because it just progressed the infection even more. it was also showing as torso damage even though it was an arm bite, so the torso damage made me think smoke inhalation, and my guy had fast healer so sleeping normally would help out

its also kind of bullshit i died of infection considering i had mutated to be disease immune

i guess on the bright side i started with the same initial build but this time found a machete in the first building i went into, which has to be a good sign. i'll probably be killed by mi-go or triffids any time now.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Infections have two stages; first the part name turns blue, and then if you leave it too long it turns green. Cauterizing and disinfecting only work in the blue stage. Once it’s green, only antibiotics will do anything (well, you can also just roll really well and survive it, but that’s extremely unlikely).

e: The time to progress from blue to green is apparently about 6 hours? However, if you gently caress up cauterizing or get bit again on the same location, it jumps the timer ahead significantly.

e2: One of the most important recipes you can find is for cattail jelly, a.k.a. cheapo disinfectant. It’s easy to make, but only in a few books. You can make a huge jar of it and then apply it to all your wounds before you go to sleep; disinfectant not only counters infections, it also makes you heal faster, as do bandages.

megane fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 20, 2022

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I like to think OP slathers themselves with cattail jelly not for the health benefits but so they can imagine themselves as their ideal goo self as they fall asleep.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

D-definitely not, why, who told you that

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

its also kind of bullshit i died of infection considering i had mutated to be disease immune

This lore doesn’t really go anywhere since the game will never get any kind of end, and I’m not entirely convinced you can find all of it in game anymore but I’ll spoiler tag it anyway.

also it’s been a couple years since I actually played cataclysm so I could be misremembering this.

the reason you can get an infection from bites despite disease immunity is because the zombie plague isn’t a bacterium or virus or anything, it’s an extra dimensional parasitic black slime mass organism. You can see it in its slime form wandering around, too. Antibiotics et. al. kill it because it’s still alive but it’s not a disease in any meaningful fashion and is capable of infecting anything and everything because it’s using Cthulhu magic to make zombies.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

I like to think OP slathers themselves with cattail jelly not for the health benefits but so they can imagine themselves as their ideal goo self as they fall asleep.
Feeling cute, might turn into a shoggoth later

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

you can 'e'xamine fireplaces, braziers and ovens now and it gives the option to start a fire. I like that, last time I played you'd 'a'pply matches or a lighter to those to start a fire. Too often I'd mis-click and start a fire adjacent to a fire place and burn the house down.

Speaking of infections, when did they change how antiseptics applied. Had a bite wound, applied antiseptic to average effect, few hours later it was poor and I applied again. Had to do that a few times over the course of it healing. I didn't know if poor meant there was a chance it would become serious but I wasn't taking the chance.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 20, 2022

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Dying of torso damage near a fire might have been heat damage too. I drat near killed a late game character by turning on whatever implant burns gasoline for energy inside a car. The game seems to simulate heat buildup in enclosed spaces.

E: https://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/bio_fuel_cell_gasoline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Characters in this game are basically made of snow - standing near a fire for long can kill you and wearing any clothes at all when it's 75+ degrees outside gives you slowdown and/or pain

Gotta watch out for camping and also scuttle from car to car to stay out of the hateful sun

(this is a good goon sim)