Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Even looting a small apartment feels like a chore now, rather than something exciting I can't wait to see the yields from.

It sounds like you'd benefit a lot from learning how to use the zones system, especially personal zones and the unload zone. If you haven't used zones yet, they're boxes you can draw on the map to tell your character how to sort out loot when given a command. EG if you want to loot an apartment of all the food, you can set an "unsorted" zone covering the entire apartment and a "food" zone by the door and just trigger sorting it - your character will automatically go and bring all the food to the door, using the magic of AI to only go to places where they know there's something to look through. Interestingly, while it does deduct time when moving the items, they teleport directly to the zone they're destined for, which can be really handy in unsafe areas. Zones get pretty granular, but I find that for clearing out areas, it's often a lot easier to use the "custom" zone type and just leave the filter line blank when asked for input. This creates a zone where every item you can carry will be dropped, which is great for looting large areas since you can consolidate even big buildings like labs and hospitals into a 9x9 zone most of the time and view every item in a big list from advanced inventory management.

Zones always existed in CDDA (though few people know about the blank custom filter trick so they write them off as more work that they're worth), but experimental also brought categorizing zones types into personal, static, and vehicle zones. Static zones are just what they are - they only exist over the squares you drew them over, and the game never forgets them unless you manually delete them. These are best for organizing bases since it lets you define complicated layouts once and forget about them.

Personal zones exist in an offset relative to your character - they always move with you and mean you don't need to be constantly fiddling with the zones menu to make use of them. You can, for instance, make a personal unsorted zone that covers the entire visible screen and a personal blank custom zone in a 9x9 square centered on your character. In this example, the zones will always be active around your character and you can trigger the "sort personal zones" command to quickly move every item on the screen to the middle of it for your convenience.

Vehicle zones are like personal zones, but instead of being attached to you, they're attached to a vehicle tile. This lets you do things like draw an itemgroup zone to automatically sort batteries into your recharging space, or to quickly consolidate different categories of loot in your deathmobile.

The game also lets you combine sort options, so if you're clearing a big building you can plop down a static blank custom zone by the door and use your personal unsorted zone to quickly move everything to the door as your clear out areas.

The other major zone type/sort option is the special "Unload" zone. The unload zone will systemically unnest every unsealed container. This means that in a scenario where an NPC was carrying a loaded rifle in a rifle case, the unsort zone will first take the gun out of the bag, then eject the magazine from the gun, then unload all the bullets from the magazine, and dump them all on the ground. It will take batteries out of all the random crap, dump all those coins, dollar bills, and cash cards on the pavement, etc, and basically save you from ever needing to unload something manually unless you're trying to be precise. It won't unload sealed items though, since that would ruin canned food and intact MREs. It's a massive time saver.

The only confusing thing about the unload zones is they work differently/conflict with other zone types, so if an item had a choice between being sorted into a zone or being unloaded, it will always be sorted into the zone - and you won't unload items that are sitting in any zone type besides the unsorted zone. For that reason it's usually best to make your unload zone a personal zone, since you can just disable the other one or two other zone types you'd be bringing with you to make use of it quickly enough.

So, what does this all look like in practice, and how is it actually convenient? Here's the scenario as I use it:

I keep a big personal unsorted zone in a square that goes 24 tiles out from me in every direction, a 3x3 blank custom zone centered on my character, and a 3x3 unload zone that overlaps the custom zone. When I finish killing a horde or clearing an area, I press the O key to bring up sort options and I pick "Sort personal zones". My character spends 1-5 minutes piling everything nearby into as few piles as possible - 9 is the maximum with my zone layout but usually it's only one or two. Then, I go back and stand in the middle of the sorted Pile of Everything I just made and pulp/butcher all the corpses in one messy action. I hit Y to bring up the zones manager window, press D to disable the topmost zone (the blank custom zone), leaving only the unsorted and unload zones active. I then hit sort again and my character unloads every single item in another minute or two. Finally, I open up the zone manager again and re-enable the custom zone so that I'm ready to sort the next building. At this point, every item in the entire building is now directly underneath me and can be sorted through using advanced inventory management to see it all in a nice, categorized list - just pick up what you want.

Total inputs to organize and unload an entire OMT at once: 6, plus however many moves it takes me to walk to a convenient place to make the pile.

It also makes inventory management quite a bit more headache free since the game's habit of nesting items inside bits of plastic or paper wrapping forces them to split into small stacks. For locations like hospitals or grocery stores this simplification can be extreme - instead of dozens of pill bottles with anything from 1 to 200 items in each, you get big piles of 500 antibiotics or 75 aspirin or 123 multivitamins. Instead of the "consume"s screen listing ten pages of chocolate bars, you just get one entry for all 50 of them, etc. I couldn't ever roll back to a version before unload zones for that reason alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

I've used zones for ages, but only in my base and the trunk of whatever vehicles I have so I can just pull up everything not nailed down, throw it in the car and sort it into separate piles when I get home.

I wouldn't have even thought of using it to rummage through a cleared house. That's both genius, and half the reason I play CDDA. I really just want a 'look through procgen people's stuff' simulator. I like sneering at where they put their dining table.

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009
In that case you can just keep unsorted/unload bound to a 3x3 personal zone surrounding your character and trigger it while you're digging through cupboards - the items will stay where they are, they'll just be liberated of wrappers and boxes, and you won't move since it'll all be within reach. It's how I handle medicine cabinets!

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Katamari: Dark Days Ahead

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I already use zones for sorting but using them for looting is against the way I enjoy playing to begin with.

I appreciate all the effort you put into this but if I ever end up having to play like this I'm just going to put the game down forever. It's not what I'm looking for at all, and while I wish all the useless containers (paper wrappers, unsealed plastic cups, wallets, etc) just didn't exist, I don't think reducing everything to one long central text list of items really fixes the problem. I generally prefer to look through a few at a time in cupboards, dressers, safes, etc. anyway. It's just... the needless clutter of not just items but game systems, skills, proficiencies. Everything's gotten so out of hand.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm in favour of most of the stuff people seem to be turned off by like proficiencies but the push to accurately model every piece of stupid redundant packaging and every coin and bill in the entire world is extremely dumb and bad.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i actually like all the pockets and containers, sorting through everything and keeping it organized and automated. but my brain is broken

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pockets are cool, but having each MRE generate dozens of bits of useless plastic junk isn't

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
the real cataclysm is the plastic we litter along the way

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I already use zones for sorting but using them for looting is against the way I enjoy playing to begin with.

I appreciate all the effort you put into this but if I ever end up having to play like this I'm just going to put the game down forever. It's not what I'm looking for at all, and while I wish all the useless containers (paper wrappers, unsealed plastic cups, wallets, etc) just didn't exist, I don't think reducing everything to one long central text list of items really fixes the problem. I generally prefer to look through a few at a time in cupboards, dressers, safes, etc. anyway. It's just... the needless clutter of not just items but game systems, skills, proficiencies. Everything's gotten so out of hand.

I can definitely understand that perspective - I found it annoying too. Adding that 3x3 unload zone around you is a decent enough workaround cause it'll unpackage everything without moving it. So it'll pop all the food in a fridge out of their wrappers and bags, but leave both inside the fridge, dump cash cards on the ground but leave the wallet where you found it, etc. Think of it as your character picking up a wallet and just violently shaking it on the floor during the looting process.

It's worth noting that not all the junk is junk. Coins can be melted down into huge amounts of copper for bullets, and plastic bags can be repurposed to preserve food with. MRE bags are a real pain to manually unnest, but they're also a non-rigid liquid container that holds nearly as much as a gallon jug, etc.

Dollar bills suck though. gently caress dollar bills.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
DDA just added a "Distraction Manager."

I'm sure you all know the popup well. You're auto traveling across roads, probably back to your base, and it happens. "Small fluffy bunny spotted! Cancel activity?" No. Three steps later. "Small fluffy bunny spotted! Cancel activity?" Repeat once every half second until you're out of the woods.

The game now lets you disable or disable those sorts of warnings.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I'm waiting with baited breath for the day they add realistic fuel age and battery/rubber degradation mechanics for vehicles.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Please don't give them ideas

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I see a future of collecting parallel sets of tools that are sized for metric and imperial measurements respectively. Simulated thread stripping for bolts, nutheads, and screwheads. Also, dropping said bolts and nuts deep into an engine compartment.

The dark days are truly ahead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Maarak posted:

I see a future of collecting parallel sets of tools that are sized for metric and imperial measurements respectively. Simulated thread stripping for bolts, nutheads, and screwheads. Also, dropping said bolts and nuts deep into an engine compartment.

The dark days are truly ahead.
multitool (metric bolt turning 1, imperial screwdriver 1, blade 1)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Days of modeling wear on individual piston rings on four-stroke engines. Days of tearing down a transmission to get at a cracked clutch bearing because you ran over one too many zombies in your deathmobile.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

So guys, you gonna put an endgame in the game orrrr...

Hmm just recursive wallet pockets and expanding the already-useless physical money inventory huh

Okay I'll check back in a year or so

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm waiting with baited breath for the day they add realistic fuel age and battery/rubber degradation mechanics for vehicles.

It's been discussed on the discord. Recently.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

ilurker posted:

It's been discussed on the discord. Recently.

I can't wait to have to loot rubber bushings from automotive supply stores to keep the car's suspension running right. :negative:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Your character's fingernails and toenails now grow at scientifically-justified rates. You have to find or forge nail clippers and apply them frequently or you get a penalty to crafting speeds because long nails (obviously) impede manual dexterity. You can check the approximate length of your nails (e.g. "semi-short", "lengthy", "noticeable") by pressing alt-} to open the advanced manicure/pedicure menu (the normal manicure/pedicure menu does not list nail length).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

megane posted:

Your character's fingernails and toenails now grow at scientifically-justified rates. You have to find or forge nail clippers and apply them frequently or you get a penalty to crafting speeds because long nails (obviously) impede manual dexterity. You can check the approximate length of your nails (e.g. "semi-short", "lengthy", "noticeable") by pressing alt-} to open the advanced manicure/pedicure menu (the normal manicure/pedicure menu does not list nail length).
This one's especially accurate for refusing to have intuitive labels. A very faithful detail.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No you may not bite your nails!

Alternatively you bite your nails and rip one a bit, taking a severe pain penalty that tanks your stats heavily and lasts days.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Nail biting sub-trait added automatically upon taking two positive traits, extensive sub-trait modifiers added that are purely negative and random

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also nerfed mutations again, for no reason.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
We’re excited to announce that we’ve made all guns two feet longer, enjoy.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Hyedum posted:

We’re excited to announce that we’ve made all guns two feet longer, enjoy.

Derringer. 22 long range enthusiasts are finally happy.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

So with the Catapult Launcher, is there a way to make it use a certain directory for installs, or even just which directory it uses by default? I'd like it to hook into the version of the game I already have installed, if only because there's no way I'll remember what settings I've changed or tweaked in the last 4 years or so

ilurker
Nov 6, 2009

Wolfechu posted:

So with the Catapult Launcher, is there a way to make it use a certain directory for installs, or even just which directory it uses by default? I'd like it to hook into the version of the game I already have installed, if only because there's no way I'll remember what settings I've changed or tweaked in the last 4 years or so

There's no good way, mainly because catapult does some odd things with the installs to create a separate userdata folder to make upgrading less prone to wiping your mods and the like. You should just be able to drop your config folder from your current install of CDDA to the userdata folder of the catapult install and keep all your settings and keybinds.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I might have to turn off zombie evolution entirely for my next CBN run. Turned it down to 50% and it's still ridiculous. Every other enemy is a Kevlar Hulk or Skeletal Juggernaut, which makes a mockery out of the strongest melee weapons and armor I can make and requires several days worth of crafted ammo just to clear out one street. I like the idea of it in theory, but it doesn't really mesh well with how progress is made in this game (fairly regular with sudden power spikes when you find a good stash of recipes/weapons). I don't recall evolution being this overtuned, even in the earlier days of CDDA.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How old is your world for it to have gotten to this point?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
It's not even that old, it's been about 50 days since the game started. I turned up seasons to 21 days, so it's not even near the end of Autumn yet.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Afaik evolution is counted by days and not seasons, so longer seasons don't delay evolution.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I installed this for the first time and started with a random char. Seems he's a military guy with some decent gear and a pistol. I went to closest town to loot and found some meds, food, backpack etc. I shot the zombies I found and diced them to pieces with butcher. I found an atomic coffee maker and took it back to the survivor shelter and cooked some coffee.

I have no idea what the !!! in health means, but it was good coffee. Also found a joint which I smoked since my guy was getting moody.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Perhaps I need to make a melee weapon and learn to whack enemies since I can't find ammo. I guess this game happens outside USA since the houses don't have any ammo or guns inside them.

If I have "keep" in options, the world stays and I can start in the same world again with a nee guy? Can I use the old guy's gear and constructions or do I have to restart gathering stuff from zero every time?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

I installed this for the first time and started with a random char. Seems he's a military guy with some decent gear and a pistol. I went to closest town to loot and found some meds, food, backpack etc. I shot the zombies I found and diced them to pieces with butcher. I found an atomic coffee maker and took it back to the survivor shelter and cooked some coffee.

I have no idea what the !!! in health means, but it was good coffee. Also found a joint which I smoked since my guy was getting moody.

I have no idea what I'm doing. Perhaps I need to make a melee weapon and learn to whack enemies since I can't find ammo. I guess this game happens outside USA since the houses don't have any ammo or guns inside them.

If I have "keep" in options, the world stays and I can start in the same world again with a nee guy? Can I use the old guy's gear and constructions or do I have to restart gathering stuff from zero every time?

Ooh, Atomic Coffee Makers are kinda rare to find, so congrats on getting a pretty handy item right out the gate! You can use that to purify water on demand, which is really nice.

The game takes place in New England, but the devs have been steadily reducing the amount of ammo you can find because it used to be trivial to get enough bullets for a character's lifetime by going to the right, easily found, places. Though, yes, you should probably have a good melee weapon. If you have more than a certain trivial amount of melee skill, something like level 3 I think, you can use the Brawling "martial art" which is a really good general purpose style of fighting for the entire game.

Finally, you have the right of it. The keep option keeps the same world between characters. So if you know where your last character died, you can go get your old stuff. And their base will still be there too.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Thanks. I don't have time to play too much, so it's easier if I can at least have a partial restart after dying. I will probably die too many times.

Some items are weird, like the coffeemaker. I can't put it to my 70L backpack but it fits my jacket's pockets just fine. Same goes with my winter coat. Very unusual.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Regarding !!! health, did you make coffee or atomic coffee? Coffee is the normal stuff you’re used to from real life, atomic coffee is basically amphetamine in liquid form. It’ll keep you awake for a long rear end time but it’s addictive and hell on your hidden health stat.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I guess I made atomic coffee. What else to make with an atomic coffee maker? :v:

Anyways I downloaded the new experimental build since stable is like over a year old version.

I rolled a new guy, a convict starting in prison. Man this is a tough rear end start when you don't know how to play the game. I'm on like my 5th prisoner and the tough prisoners gently caress your poo poo up. Finally I found a way outside, and there were wires, pipes and pipe fittings. I made lockpicks and a pipe mace, lol. Now I hope I can lockpick myself to some stash with better items and bash my way out from the prison. Doesn't help that I don't know the layout.

I can't disassemble most items like shirts here to make bandages or anything. Basically I'm hosed again since I got bitten.

Edit: seems the pipe mace is quite legit. I smashed myself inside some sleeping room, then to a closet and downstairs. Found some cabinets with a first aid kit! It had disinfectants and all that.. yay. Maybe I won't die to the infection at least.

Edit: found a workshop with tools, figured out I can saw some doors to pipes with a hacksaw, and got out. Slept a night in an ambulance. The police riot armor is quite good, at least I'm not getting killed.

My damage still sucks though. I wore out a baton midfight vs feral/zombie soldiers. I killed one and my baton ran out. Had to run to a farm where I've been stashing my stuff. I forgot where I put my sledge hammer and finding it took some time..

Luckily the soldiers were not very effective.

How do you relax in this game? My focus is crap and I have a ton of stuff to do, but my guy can't focus so I guess he needs to relax. Also need to figure out a way to get some water. The farm has a water heater so I can put in water and boil it at lesat.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 8, 2022

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!
One of the easier ways to regain focus is those random non-skill books you find. Read them until you get back up to a decent focus or top out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ihmemies posted:

How do you relax in this game? My focus is crap and I have a ton of stuff to do, but my guy can't focus so I guess he needs to relax.

One part of it is just time. Focus recovers slowly over time, and is expended whenever you gain skill xp.
Having a high Morale will make it recover faster. Listen to music, read (fiction) books, get drunk, lots of things help with that.