Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It makes it impossible to see if the door and window of my emergency shelter are open or not. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Use a mop to clean up liquids.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not sure if slime trails fade away or not. I know for a fact that spider webs don't, which makes it pretty annoying if you have the Web Spinner mutation. I wish you could use a broom to sweep them up or something.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Had a bug (in 0.8) -- I hallucinated some kind of monster that left a sludge trail, but when I stopped hallucinating the sludge trail was still there.

Is there any way to clean up liquids / trails like that?

Was it really a hallucination? :iiam:

Anyway, I thought I finally managed to wean myself off my usual packrat mentality by only looting food, resources like thread, and new tools/equipment from my scavenging runs in town. Clearly this wasn't the case, judging by the long-rear end list of drinks and rotting food in my shelter :doh:

Are items "created" only when their map square is revealed? That's how you determine whether something's about to spoil, right? It's a good thing I'm on the cusp of self-sufficiency because all that food in town is probably going to be gone when I get to them.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I thought I knew everything there was to know about this game, but this thread just keeps educating me further.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

toasterwarrior posted:

It's a good thing I'm on the cusp of self-sufficiency because all that food in town is probably going to be gone when I get to them.

Characters are pretty much inherently self sufficient in Cataclysm. Your pocket knife and matchbook are pretty much all you need to eat wildlife, just carve a pointy stick, light up another stick and cook all the meat you need. To purify water you just need a pot.

If I pick up a food item that might expire in the future I just eat it then and there.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

This loving game will never stop surprising me.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

toasterwarrior posted:

Are items "created" only when their map square is revealed? That's how you determine whether something's about to spoil, right? It's a good thing I'm on the cusp of self-sufficiency because all that food in town is probably going to be gone when I get to them.

I think items are 'created' at the start of the game, which is why you can only ever find rotting bottles of fruit juice and such after a while.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Inadequately posted:

I think items are 'created' at the start of the game, which is why you can only ever find rotting bottles of fruit juice and such after a while.

Items are created when you get close to an unvisited tile, not at the start of the game. They have an internal spoil timer that then decides if they're rotten or not, so if it's weeks into the game and you find milk in a newly generated area it says to itself 'this milk is weeks old' and so it's rotten.

Slime trails will slowly go away on their own, and yes mops clean up things nicely if you're that bothered. Towels can be used to dry yourself, that's pretty obvious but so is the mop.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Strumpie posted:

Items are created when you get close to an unvisited tile, not at the start of the game. They have an internal spoil timer that then decides if they're rotten or not, so if it's weeks into the game and you find milk in a newly generated area it says to itself 'this milk is weeks old' and so it's rotten.

Slime trails will slowly go away on their own, and yes mops clean up things nicely if you're that bothered. Towels can be used to dry yourself, that's pretty obvious but so is the mop.

So in game terms it still works just like Inadequately described it? Eventually all food that can spoil will do so on the map?

And I didn't know about the towel thing too :negative:

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Well yes, they are 'created' at the start of the game, but are not spawned until you get close to them.

This is the same with everything. If you go from one end of the map to the other, quit and do it again, you will find completely different things spawned.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Construction bug seems to have at least partially been a compile bug, not a code bug. Either way it's (seemingly) fixed, and I recommend people redownload the Stable version.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Strumpie posted:

To be more precise, the item knows that it was spawned at a certain date. If you find a bottle of rotten milk on a week-old character, spawn a new one and go to the same bottle of milk, it will not be rotten anymore.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I've a question about weapon damage, specifically for thrown weapons.

Someone has stepped through the calculation on the forum, and it looks like thrown weapons take into account bashing and cut damage, but not piercing damage. However, in several places I've seen a weapon's cut and pierce damage referred to interchangeably (the wiki, and some places on the forum for example).

Do thrown weapons take into account piercing damage? Are the effects different from cut? I've been using steel spears, I was wondering if throwing axes would be better.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
How long have basements been in the game? Just come across one randomly in one of the first houses I explored in the latest patch, found a long room filled with display racks, and well:

:getin: Install some lights down here and this will make an excellent base of operations.

Oh yeah and i'd welcome any suggestions for a new newbie guide in the OP since i've been too busy in the last 3 months to keep up with development, it seems to have gone through 4 versions in as many months so well done for keeping such a pace up but it means I have no clue what the hell i'm talking about.

whiteshark12 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 15, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I really wish vehicle batteries would remember their charge level. With the new overhaul it'd be nice to set up some tool stations/lights in a basement and occasionally haul the batteries up to a solar vehicle up topside.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

whiteshark12 posted:

How long have basements been in the game? Just come across one randomly in one of the first houses I explored in the latest patch, found a long room filled with display racks, and well:

:getin: Install some lights down here and this will make an excellent base of operations.

Oh yeah and i'd welcome any suggestions for a new newbie guide in the OP since i've been too busy in the last 3 months to keep up with development, it seems to have gone through 4 versions in as many months so well done for keeping such a pace up but it means I have no clue what the hell i'm talking about.

Basements have just been reintroduced in 0.9 pretty much.
New worlds should have quite a lot of them in houses, and the chances of finding weapons or a survivalist basement is disproportionally high so it's likely to be heavily nerfed soon enough.
Someone did a write up on the official forums with all the percentages of what will spawn and there's something ridiculous like a 75% chance to find a firearm.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Strumpie posted:

Basements have just been reintroduced in 0.9 pretty much.
New worlds should have quite a lot of them in houses, and the chances of finding weapons or a survivalist basement is disproportionally high so it's likely to be heavily nerfed soon enough.
Someone did a write up on the official forums with all the percentages of what will spawn and there's something ridiculous like a 75% chance to find a firearm.

Sounds pretty accurate to the USA to me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Sometime some furniture can spawn over the stair to the basement qo it's worth it to at least move the stuff inside the houses a little if you don't want to miss a weapon cache (or more cannabis).

Also if you want a light, just make a lightstrip (amplifier circuit+5x copper wire+15x batteries), it's a 12000 charge item and it gives you on day of light for 3 charge. So basicly 400 days of light for 15 batteries. Just activate it and throw it on the floor, one year of light.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StealthArcher posted:

Sounds pretty accurate to the USA to me.

34% of houses in the US own a firearm, as of 2012.

That said, screw realism as an indicator of balance. Go with whatever best balances the fun of scavenging vs. how much of a pain in the rear end it is not to have X readily available.

EDIT: Does Light Eater affect water consumption or only food?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 15, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just food. By a third, if I recall correctly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How come in this version, items on tables don't show in the renderer?

It makes looting really difficult because you have to keep manually looking around you instead of, well, just looking around you in the viewport.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
use 'V' to get a look at everything around you and check if there are any items that you're interested in. It's easy to miss something out of sight/light but it beats having to check every square with a zombie horde after you.

Also I haven't upgraded to the full 0.8 yet given the crash bugs but I noted that I found a 'go bag' in a house and though, oh neat, a new kind of storage bag! ... and then it was, except it was also stuffed to the brim with equipment, clothes, and even another pocket knife. :stare: Even a character that somehow started with absolutely no items would be set up and raring to go after one of those.

As far as a newbie guide, well, it's surprising what you can get away with using just your pocket knife and random stones plus the string from the windows, you can disassemble the strings into thread as needed and throw rocks at critters with surprising damage and accuracy, practice survival by pulling up shrubs in the forest and making digging sticks from bashed young trees, and then once survival is at 3 or so (check with @) you're pretty good at carving up even small animals for meat, and can start making many of the stone tools and bone needle.

Cooking meat early on is easy enough with a pointy stick or skewers (use your knife on a stick) and skewers themselves make great firewood, but later you'll want the stone pot so you can boil water as safe water can be a lot harder to get than safe food. Eventually you can make painkillers and sleep aids by checking out those poppy flowers seen growing around, which is far better than having nothing on hand in a pinch.

Of course, this all presumes you have enough space to hold all the stuff, so unless you're willing to get a bone needle and practice tailoring ASAP (break windows in shelter, use knife on the sheets, use the rags to make socks and apply the sewing kit on any non-torn articles for practice) you'll probably have to stick close to base and deposit tools back in the base. Speaking of the base, holing up in the shelter isn't too bad, though you'll probably want to Construct a wood stove/metal furnace (brazier blows, don't bother) and a makeshift bed.

Those basic tools and equipment are probably not going to save your face from getting caved in by a zombear, so finding ready-made tools and equipment from scattered bodies, cities or trap circles can be a lifesaver. A simple crossbow and a handful of steel bolts can do a ton of damage to a zombie if you let them get closer and get an accurate bead on their vital spots, just remember the reload takes time.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 16, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nftyw posted:

use 'V' to get a look at everything around you and check if there are any items that you're interested in. It's easy to miss something out of sight/light but it beats having to check every square with a zombie horde after you.

Also I haven't upgraded to the full 0.8 yet given the crash bugs but I noted that I found a 'go bag' in a house and though, oh neat, a new kind of storage bag! ... and then it was, except it was also stuffed to the brim with equipment, clothes, and even another pocket knife. :stare: Even a character that somehow started with absolutely no items would be set up and raring to go after one of those.

That's what I do, it's still kind of annoying, especially as it doesn't actually show you everything you can see, only everything close enough to you.

The go-bag is basically an army rucksack full of stuff, you can craft one (or, rather, re-pack it) if you have all the items in your inventory, but yeah, it's basically a suit of good armor/clothes, and some survival gear. I figured they were meant as loot rather than craftables, so you're a lucky sod if you found one.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

34% of houses in the US own a firearm, as of 2012.

That said, screw realism as an indicator of balance. Go with whatever best balances the fun of scavenging vs. how much of a pain in the rear end it is not to have X readily available.

I don't want to take the thread off-topic, but polls and surveys are never reliable or to be used to support a position. I don't care if they are Gallup polls; a 2011 Gallup poll showed 47% of households in the US had firearms, the 2013 Gallup poll you're most likely referencing shows 34%, which given the tremendous increase of firearm sales over the last 5 years, such a change is highly unlikely. FBI statistics and the like are much more reliable, even if they too need to be under close scrutiny when comparing across agencies or especially across nations (different nations compile their statistics in different ways, for example violent crime in the US and UK. The US is much more inclusive about what constitutes violent crime, while the UK's rather exclusive definition, makes them look like they have a lower violent crime rate while in reality their violent crime is probably higher if you were to use the US definition).

The only reason I bring it up is that I see a lot of people in blogs and other places (especially Wikipedia) cite polls and surveys, and while nobody really cares if the numbers are accurate or not when just making a short comment like yours, I just want to make sure people understand that the practice is not to be used in any setting where you need to actually argue a point or present factual data.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Another weird thing, I left a plastic bag outside in the stormy rain and when I came back to it it was loaded with 25 units of water :stare: I wish I could fill it manually, that's just insane.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I haven't played in at least a month now due to all the bugs and just waiting for some general improvements (such as power or refrigeration) to be introduced before I pick it up again, but have funnels finally been fixed? They worked fine when you had to manually use them to fill bottles, but after the change to where they just automatically filled bottles over time as they sat out in the rain, I never could get them to put more than 1 or 2 units into a bottle.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Stuck on the screen (right after creating a character): World Gen Options. I can see a CONFIRMATION tab, but cannot move to it.

Am I stupid?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Stuck on the screen (right after creating a character): World Gen Options. I can see a CONFIRMATION tab, but cannot move to it.

Am I stupid?

Greater-than symbol: >

That's generally for navigating between tabs.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
oh well it seems so obvious now... seems to work with TAB in most other places.

Cool thanks

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The RECAPITATOR posted:

oh well it seems so obvious now... seems to work with TAB in most other places.

Cool thanks

Huh, didn't know that you could use tab, that'd be rational, really, wouldn't it?

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010

The King of Swag posted:

I haven't played in at least a month now due to all the bugs and just waiting for some general improvements (such as power or refrigeration) to be introduced before I pick it up again, but have funnels finally been fixed? They worked fine when you had to manually use them to fill bottles, but after the change to where they just automatically filled bottles over time as they sat out in the rain, I never could get them to put more than 1 or 2 units into a bottle.

This had to do with the player needing to be near enough to the bottles that they updated while it was raining and, while I can't confirm it for myself, the changelog on the Cataclysm forums says that this has been fixed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inositol posted:

This had to do with the player needing to be near enough to the bottles that they updated while it was raining and, while I can't confirm it for myself, the changelog on the Cataclysm forums says that this has been fixed.

I read a book near my funnel and it filled the waterskin in an hour or so, that seems improved.

Though acid rain now murders the poo poo out of any items left outside so you really don't want to be too free with funnel usage.

I wish you could mount them on cars.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Though acid rain now murders the poo poo out of any items left outside so you really don't want to be too free with funnel usage.

Yep, acid rain is a huge threat now. Killing the player is one thing, destroying their equipment is just harsh.

You pretty much have to have a garage to build vehicles in now. I used to build vehicles by leaving piles of steel plating and steel frames out in the road- now I have to drag it all inside because acid rain will damage those components quick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bilal posted:

Yep, acid rain is a huge threat now. Killing the player is one thing, destroying their equipment is just harsh.

You pretty much have to have a garage to build vehicles in now. I used to build vehicles by leaving piles of steel plating and steel frames out in the road- now I have to drag it all inside because acid rain will damage those components quick.

Does acid rain erode, like, covered vehicle sections? Things with a roof or with plating over them?

Basically can you proof your vehicles against it, especially your solar panels?

Edit: Or do you mean it just eats the items used to build your vehicle, because I know it'll do that, I just hope it doesn't destroy vehicles themselves.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
What about pre-existing cars being left outside? I'd hate to think that finding a running vehicle now means nothing, because the first acid rain will completely eat it away.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

No, it doesn't destroy vehicles. What I meant was that I'd disassemble cars in the road and drag all the components over and just leave them outside. If you have items on a tile and they get acid rained on, they take some damage. Vehicles are fine, even ones without roofs as far as I've seen.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

"Sure, I just brutally murdered ~2 busloads of orphan zombies, but videogames!." - :zpatriot:

e: Karma, however was swift, since she then found a landmine. Twice. With her foot.

T-man fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 16, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
With all the dried and preserved food that was added in the latest versions, my car is a fantastic kitchen (literally, with an RV kitchen unit installed) but I can hardly be bothered to pull out ingredients and make something fantastic half the time in between dismantling/reassembling flashlights or directional antennas. Fried SPAM and simple scrambled eggs it is, if I'm not butchering critters or digging up wild veggies.

At least oatmeal and cornmeal seem to stack after I pull them out of the boxes. I hope this won't let them spoil or anything... not like it hurts the powdered eggs any. My only problem really is water, and I have a steel jerrycan full of the stuff to boil as needed. Living like a scavenger king, hell yes.

It's really nice to see basements again, even if they are overpoweringly huge loads of treasure that can last you several days.

I dug up some scrap and a spring from a crater and made a crossbow with a clip of 10 bolts, the thing is amazing. It's also nice to have the option to make scrap metal bolts, though I wound up grinding snare triggers so I could assemble/disassemble crossbow traps to magically turn wooden bolts into steel ones.

Yeah, the game has a lot of broken elements to it. And I love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
As long as you don't store items on paved/hard surfaces they won't erode in acid rain. What happens is that the road has a chance for getting an acid puddle so when you go to sleep everything melts.