Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Noob question time:

1) Is there a setting/etc to refuse to (or specifically warn/prompt) when something I craft is going to use something I've got equipped? It's pretty annoying when I Accidentally craft a random thing out of the pants I'm wearing.

2) Obviously finding a backpack is ideal, but I feel like I'm spending WAY too much time (I'm brand new) fussing with lovely inventory management that is a little too 'real' (except in real life I have two loving hands to carry things and don't need to take conscious action to momentarily put something down).

I know I can do stuff like constantly drop any makeshift slings/etc I make, but is my approach wrong, or should I not worry about minor encumbrance, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah, so sounds like the accidental crafting from worn gear is just something dumb (most roguelikes would prompt for such a thing) but at least easily avoided.

I wasn't sure if doing most of my looting with a shopping cart would be sane/etc, but that sounds like what I should do then (even with how little I've played I've seen plenty of carts in grocery stores).

I guess if I'm not able to hoard a bit it just means I don't really know what the expected gameplay loop is at various stages of the game, yet, so I'll have to figure it out.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

With default settings in experimental, is it possible to *create* a basement in a building? or if you want that, do you need to be smart enough to just pick a location that already has one? (oops)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I wasn't asking for a no-effort approach. It just wasn't clear what's supported at this stage of the game/engine- some links made it sound like maybe yes, but that stairs aren't currently manufacturable so you need to be careful about getting back out, etc.

I shoul dhave asked this in the first one but...is there any way (any tool that speeds it, et cetera) to get thread faster than the one hour per for disassembling a rag? The resource angle is easy but an hour is pretty brutal if you need a fair bit of thread.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

tooterfish posted:

Smashing windows, or closing curtains and then and pulling them down (this is quieter), will give you a long string. Removing seatbelts from cars will give you a short rope.

Both can be disassembled to get thread.

Whoa, ok. I didn't know you'd get rope from seatbelts, that's great.

Thanks for both for the tips - I forgot string would more quickly disassemble like that. Closing the curtains and e)xamining them definitely works well.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

So, I'm on the experimental builds, just to be safe, but uh...

...What's up with fuel (gas or electric) consumption?

Had a basically fixed up car (wheels/gas tanks/engine/etc were all green) and driving it ~2 blocks to my base was about 10% of the fueltank.

Replaced the wheels on an electric scooter for fun and decided to drive it home - it was about 13% battery and I admit I knew that wouldn't go too far but...

I think it got about ...13 tiles? I don't mean *overmap* tiles either. I mean basically just walking 13 squares.

What.

So far having my best run (I've only been playing a week or two) as the scenario that starts you as a 'survivor' that lasted until winter in a cabin. But I've failed to find any of the three answers I really need: Sugar beet seeds, a Chemistry kit, OR a chemistry book

Meaning I can't make sugar, as far as I can tell. (Since I need a kit to have chemical-whatever 2...but sugar beet syrup would be able to avoid that)

Also the entire town I'm in, haven't seen a single RV so I still don't have a fridge. I haven't explored 100% of it yet so still hoping. Also no electronics shops yet.

Oh, also, for anyone playing and near a forest, let me say while the perma-light from the fabricated (crafting menu) charcoal kiln is cute and all, the convenience of the Construction-menu kiln is really nice. None of this fiddly small-batch poo poo. Drop 100 heavy sticks in, get 2600 charcoal out.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

bitcoin bastard posted:

Long story short, the devs are making a big push toward ~realism~, fuel consumption is a work in progress that got merged before it was ready. The vitamin/clothes washing things are two other realism changes in the same push.

Yeaaaah. At least with the clothes washing thing so far it's just been zombie clothes and I just take the "ewww zomzbie clothes" trait for a free point.

I just hope vehicle fuel usage is either 'like real life' or more lenient, because right now it seems like lightweight cars actually have sub-M1A1 fuel efficiency. (An M1A1 is <1MPG)

Mostly because this is a place where being able to 'play with vehicles' etc is 'fun'.

Real question time: what kind of buildings/etc have a chance to spawn a chemistry set?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

palamedes posted:

Try house basements. A decent number of those are chemistry basements that spawn a decent number of sets. And in schools one of the corners is a chem classroom/storage room with a chance to spawn a set.

Yeah, I had a regional school on my map (thanks roadmaps!) and was hoping that the map designers did a 'realistic' thing like that - but as soon as I found the library I found 3-4 books I hadn't found previously and that got me set up.Thanks everyone. Now just have to make it home alive.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Daisy chain wire instead, it's what it's for.

What kind of wire? You mean like jumper cables?

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I think the game just lists it as "wire" you get it from fences.

It's essentially, as said, a kind of frame you can build with lovely stats but no tools, it's designed for, well, wiring up a base.

E: If you need to run it through the wall of a building just replace the wall tile with a frame and either a door or a full panel, maybe dig a pit under the outside edge if it's likely to see combat.

Easiest way to do it is to just run it through an existing window or door and then build a solid vehicle block on that tile. Remove the door or window out of the frame if you have to first.

Weird. As far as I can tell, no such (pseudo)frame exists in the (recent) build of experimental that I'm using. Then again, "sheet metal" also seems oddly absent from my version as a craftable thing (so I just rely on pulling them from other vehicles) so who knows.

EDIT: So now that I've got mechanics 8, it seems to let me install 2 (but not 3) small electric motors on a vehicle - is there a trick to turning them both on? It seems like I can toggle each on, but only one at a time. But from what I've read it sounds like it is possible to have vehicles with multiple (concurrently running) engines. Any idea?

Fayk fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 24, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Marenghi posted:

Are vehicles still dodgy? I got back into this a few weeks ago just in time for some change to vehicles where multiple engines were no longer possible, and a full tank would get you across a few game screens. Also solar panels gave an absolutely pathetic amount of charge.

So I basically started playing the game and learning it right after this change was made. I don't think they'd 'fixed' it yet - it sounds like maybe the base massive vehicles (not sure of the name) might basically fix it by essentially tripling efficiency, but I ended up the simplistic mod mentioned here: http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=13707.msg289201#msg289201

I don't know how it compares to 'before', but 'before' electric scooters were getting performance that would be about 1/1000th (or worse, seriously I lost 20% charge on one going about 10 movement - not map - tiles)of actual real world, much less some future battery tech or anything.

I know they were definitely trying to make mega death vehicles kinda bad though, but I think some people maybe have still been toying with some designs that kindasorta work.

Carcer posted:

Have you got the vehicles addition modpack installed?

Nope, I'm basically the vanilla settings (well, I think I removed exploding and acid zombies, as I'm learning the game). Maybe I hosed UP though.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 24, 2016

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Also, both in the adv inventory as wewll as when using (V)iew, remember to make use of stuff like c:spare parts and c:food etc to bin things properly

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Marenghi posted:

It's all handled behind the scenes. Which begs the question why simulate gears at all.

Not as yet. Mega vehicle mods counter acts it. You can also edit one of the files to boost energy density of different fuel types. I think someone patched fuels to store less energy, which was quickly followed by the patch to increase vehicle consumption which created a one two punch to ruin vehicle usefulness. If you're editing files you might want to boost solar panel recharge rate. That was also reduced which makes pure electric vehicles pointless.

Yeah, as I understand it Megaveh mod basically triples it. I didn't know about that so I ended up installing the mod that I mentioned in my previous post (http://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=468012506#post467688838) to do the same.

I worry about finite resources so much (it's basically dumb) since every single vehicle in the world only has like 1/10th their tank that I've mostly stuck to electric vehicles and such, but that mod makes them totally viable (maybe a bit too good currently? Hard to say, depending what your 'target' is) - at least viable for small/lightweight vehicles.

Also currently you can't have two concurrent engines so multiple engines are either for multiple fuel types or redundancy. So if you want a bigger EV you'll need to find an enhanced motor or a large electric motor, it seems.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Anticheese posted:

Construction is another feature that's interesting in principle, but tedious in practice. I love that, given time and a sufficient food supply, I can bootstrap my way to a log cabin and get to work on some quality permanent shelter, and by the time I'm done, build a forge and other useful things. However, the glacial speed of construction is a total pain, as is trying to drag 500 logs and pieces of wood even half a screen. Also, the fact that construction progress completely stalls out around level 4 unless you build a crapload of useless forges for no apparent reason. Even then, stuff like being able to build a well is needlessly gated by level 8. Building a mininuke takes less skill than it does to dig and stabilise a pit below the water table and install a pump.

What I would like to see is a system that lets you designate what you'd like to build and where. Then you just feed the appropriate materials into a stockpile, check the visualisation of what your place is gonna look like, and commit a bunch of time to the build. Just...For the love of god cut the default time down so that it doesn't take a full year to build a little cabin.
I agree a system like that (both planning but then also the idea you can farm it out to your village of survivors) would be amazing.

That said, there's a (lower = slower) value right in the options for construction scaling btw, including an odd quirk that makes me wonder what their originally conceived timescales might have been -- a setting of zero scales it to your season length... but the result is that on a 14 day season, the values are actually super sane.

Now if only my character didn't burn 80000 calories a day reading books while a diet light in meat, heavy in fruits and veggies slowly lowers my health. (Self-aware trait, hoping to understand the mechanics of it better)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah, even as someone who hasn't played the game for long you can see lots of weird quirks (some useful, some charming, some dumb) as a result of the process - weird areas where construction offers a far superior alternative for example, or the opposite. (Charcoal kiln from the construction menu is soooo much less clicky annoyance unless you really just wanna use the crafted one as a magical light source)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

You know, I have to say - I like that there *are* inventory limits and encumbrance, but on how the specifics somehow play out, I dunno man.

I mean, I tend to hoard in games in general, but in this, even if I'm not hoarding, I am spending too much of my playtime (literally hours) managing inventory piles.

The fact that the *largest* vehicle storage tile is 250L probably contributes a lot.

Also WHAT WAS I THINKING taking Bad back on this character (And not taking Packmule for volume).

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Since I always have a weird scarcity complex, I've been mostly hoarding guns (honestly, guns aren't very rare, but ammo is stupidly rare and since in the default game you an't make hulls/casings no matter your skill, WELP) but I'm surprised to hear they aren't good, partly because several of the not-guns ranged weapons are surprisingly decent --

Pneumatic weapons, throwing, nailguns (esp with flechette ammo) etc all seemed surprisingly decent.

Sure, you can't do them for 100% of your work, but you can take out zombies as they approach and clean up in melee. With autofire I've taken out hulks with them without having to ever get in hand to hand range.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't matter how good you are you can't make the gun more accurate than it is.

If you want to 360 noscope people you need a pinpoint accurate gun to do it with.

Otherwise guns are usually quite good at killing stuff right the gently caress now regardless of what it is, it's just woefully inefficient.

But every character should carry a pistol or short shotgun as a :frogout: option.

I must be misunderstanding, you can both accurize™® them with a firearm kit (or whatevber the otherone is) as well as load them with some ridiculous tacticool set of mods.

For me, base game, ammo is the problem, never ever guns. Even though the cataclysm happened 'yesterday', looting an entire gunshop results in like maybe 80-100 bullets spread across fifty types.

But you end up with like a dozen random firearms.

I mean I get that it's a videogame and common bullets would be 'easy' but given how many zombies there are, I feel like you could triple (or more) the number of bullets you find and it'd still be finite enough people would totally care about saving their bullets, etc.

One of my chars has survived over a year now, and has I think maybe 200 9mm total, having fired zero shots ever. Low numbers of everything else. I haven't been specifically targeting gun shops but I've still hit a couple.

It feels like the most common source of bullets would just be running around ripping ammo off mounted guns or disabling turrets.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Grimman007 posted:

How do I set up a blacksmithing operation again? Alternatively, where do hacksaws spawn?

Hacksaws are also plentiful lab spawns, I think in some doctor/vet offices, mob drops.

Anticheese posted:

It appears that dismantling wreckage doesn't give mechanics skill.

e: dismantling working parts works though.

I think it does, but maybe only if you are dismantling parts you only barely have the skill for (ie, parts that require mech4 if you have mech4)

Edit: real talk though, even when I have amazingly high skills, taking a sledge or similar to a wreck is still a pretty fast way (faster than dismantling since mechanics skill stuff is all like 18min/30 min chunks) to get a lot of metal

Fayk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 11, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

So with the backing out of the vehicle rework, it looks like these are the effects (I learned/started playing CDDA only around thanksgiving):

-Gas efficiency is way more reasonable for moderate+ sized vehicles
-Electric efficiency feels pretty meh
-Multiple (Concurrent) engines work again

-Smaller engines seem effectively nerfed. Most motorcycles/scooters/etc around have a max safe speed of ~34MPH
-Small and normal electric motors are definitely weaker/slower, like the above.
-Large and I assume enhanced seem okayish.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Admittedly, faster than 30's pushing it for the very smallest scooters and motorbikes...but uh, yeah.

A honda Grom is a 125cc, top speed of ~62MPH and (obviously not at that speed) about 134MpG economy. A grom weighs about 225lbs wet.

In C:DDA, I can have a ~120lb (Don't ask) 0.8L engine bike that has a 34/68 safe/top speed.

I feel like the devs should basically pick a real-world equivalent for each engine class/etc and tweak them around that until they are *vaguely* reasonable. Especially since this is in the future, if anything.

Whee.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

coyo7e posted:

TIME IS A MYSTERIOUS BEAST

I don't remember the requirements but if you have a screwdriver + enough mechanics skill to remove a clock from a car (most thave it) that's a guaranteed way to get a wristwatch.

edit: also if you aren't sure oif the time, if you just enter a car, the abstract ttime readout will switch to a real clock (if there's a clock installed in the car)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 24, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

FWIW I'm pretty sure (despite what the graphics of the tileset suggest) that a fire in a house' stove is also safe, much like a pizzeria's oven.

For those who are new, pizzeria ovens are handy becuase they both dismantle into something somewhat useful but also because you can grab + drag them around (slowly, noisily) to a base nearby if you have one.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

coyo7e posted:

dumb question: I thought charcoal would be more efficient than burning random two by hours and poo poo, but a stack of 50 burnt through my fire in like 30 minutes.

So what should I be aiming for in terms of fuel? I thought about using cooking oil or lamp oil a couple playthroughs back but figured I'd probably light the house on fire and die of smoke inhalation while asleep... Right now I started a martial artist character and found a fire station so I've got a sweet safe spot to crash and read etc but I dunno how to conserve my fuel for my fire.. Can I put out a campfire/etc without an extinguisher?

AMAZING loving PRO-TIP:
When making charcoal (for cooking, forge, etc use) don't use the craftable (item) charcoal burner that you make active and drop etc, as it only makes charcoal in batches of 50 or some tiny amount.

Make the CONSTRUCTION menu version of a charcoal kiln, as you get a ton of charcoal if you load it full of wood products (logs, 2x4s, scraps, anything, just fill it to capacity if you can then activate it)

(Also what people said before about putting minimal fuel in something you are burning and letting your 'task' complete regardless of whether the fuel would last that long. IT's dumb, but so is the idea that a giant log burns in a fier for like 10 minutes or whatever cataclysm simulates)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Kayle7 posted:

Moving all with (,), the game will simulate the time it takes to do all that... if you move stacks of thousands of things, you'll notice it actually does take a couple hours. But if you just hold down (M), it'll do it all in like 5 in game minutes

This is important (and a really dumb aspect of the implementation)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

coyo7e posted:

to reiterate I still have trouble seeing enough to do my poo poo in the dark, how many lightstrips does it take to light up a room? I mean I have lighting theory class next semester but this poo poo is reminding me of just how much effort it used to take to get a few minutes of piddly light back in the iron age.. :laugh:

Lighting a room is more prohibitive than just being near the light source. Somewhere on the upper right of the UI there's an indicator how the light you're in is for seeing (bright/dark/shade/etc).

Lightstrips are also obtainable from disassembling headlights if you have a screwdriver/skill to remove them from cars. Just remember that some objects can be cut up, some disassembled, some either. Cutting up is quicker but WAY more lossy on parts.

Lightstrips are just temporary-use, non-reloadable babyflashlights . If you're operating out of a permanent base, try getting your skills up enough to slowly cobble together a 'renewable' source of light via a generator, like the following:

1) Engine (smaller probably better/less fuel usage)
2) Truck Alternator (or all kinds) for most draw/efficiency
3) Car/Storage battery (or batteries) for the alternator to charge
3) Siphon some fuel (rubber hose, can be gotten from breaking or dismantling things like fridges in grocery stores, etc)
4) Some kind of vehicle-mountable container
5) A frame of some kind (wood, steel, doesn' tmatter)
6) Headlight

Start a 'vehicle' in the construction menu, that'll consume (it won't prompt for choice if only one is in range/inv) the frame
1) Start bolting your poo poo to a frame

Sadly though this may be nigh-impossible if you don't have a welder/etc already since I'm not sure if all these components can be mounted to a wood frame w/ nails or something useful. engine

As someone above said you don't learn the atomic lamp/nightlight recipe just by leveling but if you start with an absurdly high electronics skill you do start with the recipe (And just need to find plutonium)

Also keep an eye out in every coffee shop you loot for an Atomic Coffeemaker - free infinite water boiling.

EDIT: Yeah, or the fact I overlooked the obvious -- as above poster says, dome lights (they exist on the same square as controls) are efficient, just don't forget to turn them off. But fginding a working solar car is actually more viable than you'd think.

I'd summarize the car spawning rules as basically this-

Ignoring wrecks, most cars are spawned, and then one major system is totally hosed. So it'll be something like:
-No tires on this piece of poo poo
-All fuel is leaked out/fuel tanks savaged
-Battery is dead (needed to start car)
-No engine/faulty engine, etc

Most cars only have one major issue, so for example it's entirely possible to find a viable/working car w/ just a dead battery, find another car, swap the batteries. That said, don't drive a car for the FIRST TIME with a character you really like, because misunderstanding the UI = crash

Fayk fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 3, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also, to answer the books question, in the stable version and older experimentals, you could choose to just keep reading a book until you had memorized all its recipes, but that was changed a while back and is no longer the case. Any book that is yellow in your menu cannot give you more skill levels, but does have recipes you don't know.

A few recipes are automatically learned just by advancing your skills, but all others must learned from another source. Some recipes can be learned by disassembling an object and learning how to build it from scratch; otherwise, you'll need to have the recipe on hand in book form in order to make it. I believe you can still potentially end up memorizing recipes you use this way, at which point you won't need to have a recipe book on hand for that specific recipe, but in general you'll want a tile full of books on your murderchariot or a bookcase full of manuals in your workshop or whatever.

In other words, don't EVER ditch/throw away a book unless you have learned EVERY recipe from it. (Or every one you care about). One of my first 'fairly successful' playthroughs I didn't realize this until I started tossing them (after getting all the skillgains).

The biggest problem with getting into the ~vehicles game~ is that you need a number of
1) tools
2) Skills to actually let you mount (or even remove!) most things.

Removing thankfully never needs welders or anything consumable. Just a toolbox (or the tools that comprise a toolbox) and a bunch (too much) Mechanics skill.

One you have 2 mechanics skill and some tools, it's easy to progress. Getting to 2 can be a little annoying because at ~1 tyhere's like one operation you can perform on vehicles to raise it. Raising it 0->1 is as easy as using crowbars a ton, iirc.

(It's easy to raise a few points if you luck into a stethoscope somewhere)

Edit: Ah, yeah the most brutal thing about a lab start was when I started one, got all the way to the top for the first time and... hey, how am I supposed to get out?

...I didn't start at the bottom, as you might have guessed.

(At least teleporter devices offer a potential way out of this)

Fayk fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2017

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The prison start isn't so bad as far as physically getting out goes (although you might have to craft yourself improvised lockpicks just to be able to get through some of the doors). The main problem is the SMG armed security bot outside the front door. Even though inside the prison you can generally find some good combat gear, a single burst from the bot is enough to kill you instantly.

Yeah, for an apocalypse scenario where bullets are so rare that I can more readily just solve all my problems with home-crafted dynamite, it's annoying that a super armored murdermachine will:
1) die in one round rounding a corner from a random turret
2) those turrets somehow never ran out of ammo (previously)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Telsa Cola posted:

Sawed off shotgun or smg in a holster or fast draw holster, preferably with flechette rounds. Enjoy your "Enough of this poo poo" button.

Sorry I can fabricate and perform surgery onmyself to install or remove cybernetics but can't manufacture shotgun shells from scratch/raw materials.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I love the 'depth' of systems in C:DDA (or at least the promise of them) like the fact that tinkering with a mobile base can almost be its own game.

The problem is people who doesn't realize that depth -can- be fun, and things that add complexity but neither FUN nor actual strategic depth (risk:reward, or a smart way to play, etc) need to be axed.

I spent way too much time (both real-world time and in-game clock time) just managing food, even when I had plenty, becaue the timescale for the game is so hosed up. Spend a ton of time cooking, never parallelizing things / cooking in bulk like you easily could in real life, and then sleep only to be hungry again immediately.

That said, games that give you about a half day's meat from an entire deer/etc are WAY too common.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Coolguye posted:

the caloric intake of your duder makes some sense i feel, since the presumption is that you're going to be very active most of the time. even if you spend all day cooking and crafting, your character would use a ton of calories just puttering around. a large part of the problem is that the game doesn't have a concept of calories burned vs consumed, so you get hungry cooking exactly as quickly as you would cutting a filthy ichor-splattered swath through a home improvement superstore, which feels weird and bad. that would actually be one of the ways to add flavor to the nutrition in this game, if fighting and stuff literally burned more calories than driving or sleeping.

that said, if you want to do something like that you're going to need to overhaul everything and change nutrition values to the number of calories they actually provide, which would be a humongous project and obviously nerf the hell out of the current meta where a V8 provides more fullness than a loving cheese pizza.

All true.

And yeah, on some days you probably DO burn a crazy number of calories, but on those days you stay indoors reading all day, maybe not so much. I bet if they tried to implement a 'burn rate' mechanic they'd gently caress it up at first by not giving you any kind of buffer (ie, bodyfat or otherwise) so the first time you try to do something like clear a square of rubble your character loses five pounds and falls over after being locked into it for two hours. DEAD OF MALNUTRITION.

Cooking needs to be faster in general.

Right now the recipe system seems super rigid (ie, each variant ingredient has to be specified, rather than <breadlike item> <Cruciferous vegetable>, etc) in ingredients. Some randomly scale decently (never well enough) when you make multiples, adding only 50% more time, others just outright double. What.

Book reading is amazingly good, but man, I can't imagine trying to learn most skills through usage in the game. It's so slow/(resource)expensive for most things.

Construction times are pretty gross, too. Making them a little too fast (The option to scale them by season time or whatever drops them hugely!) is maybe 'too good' but it's certainly more fun. Making a small fence shouldn't take a 1/4 year.

Edit: Funny thing about V8 is that I've never had a game where I found all the right seeds to make them, since it's such a strict recipe. A dozen veggies basically but lacked one every time.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

To echo what was said above, the thing that's frustrating about the stance that SOME PEOPLE on the dev team take is that for all the warts, there really is something special about C:DDA. I say this as someone who only started playing it a year ago (and haven't played in a couple months) but man I went in HARD on playing it. Hours and hours in a short time.

As someone who grew up playing (but being bad at) roguelikes (and literally rogue) I really liked the simulation aspect (I mean in the systems simulating, not the 'verisimilitude' angle) going on. It was a really fun sandbox with a lot of potential. But yeah, stuff like that painkiller change sound like a wonderful waste of time all around. Priorities? What're those?!

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I'd just like to see the game respect the player's time, too. I loved the game when I discovered it and subsequently binged, but I just realized that I was probably spending 50% of my time (real world) managing and juggling inventory, etc.

I don't think there's a single easy fix for that kind of thing, but even if you kept food and water but made the buffer larger - not even making food/water more efficient, but just have to do the requisite steps / victory dance less often that'd be good.

Don't get me started on how much time I wasted making a farm.

In-game-time I'd say looking what skills scale well and which ones don't for batch jobs. Cooking definitely should. I think it'd be complicated, but I'd like to see cooking recipes be a little less wooden. Right now the variety is large, but half of the recipes go away if you're missing a single ingredient. Maybe if individual food types were in 'categories' like "starch" "protein" and the actual requirements could take from any of these. This would be a bit like the crafting in Wayward for example.

Seconding whoever suggested gunpowder (and presumably casings) beoing able to be made or crafted on some level without mods. Just because it'd be more fun. Balance accordingly.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I feel like another problem with C:DDA is that people are miscalibrating how much of a difficulty-hell roguelike it should be. Roguelikes are fun despite loss of progress because they are actually quite fast and not really 'grindy' (good ones, anyways). Comparatively, I think C:DDA has a lot of (real-world) time-consuming tasks that put it somewhat in conflict with the roguelike side of it. I think permadeath is fine, but you need to be reaaaaal careful about bullshit unavoidable deaths.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh wow. So just got around to playing that super new release, and let me just say, shade zombies are bullshit. How the gently caress does anyone expect for a new player to get started when this unforgiving-rear end game just throws new ways to gently caress you over. I have been playing this game on and off for years, as a casual, not interested in being a fursuited ninjitsu mutant, and this just burns my god drat biscuits.

Here's my input, either weaken shade zombies or make them spawn much less.

Also, add a "Shotgun Infantry" class and a rare IBM 5100 spawn. The Divergence meter's flashing 12:00 and mad cow disease is REAL

I mean, if you're going to add Titor stuff, then I think it's time to Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I'm definitely a fan of the idea of some of the things that are background timers once you set them up, like the kiln.

That brings up another weird thing about C:DDA, some things have multiple ways to do things, and one is just 'better' and the other is weird cruft. Like how there are both kilns-as-buildings and kilns-as-items, with different interfaces, basically.

It's been a bit since I played so maybe I'm misremembering, but if you wanted to keep water as a mechanism from a simulation or atmospheric standpoint, what about internally tracking if water is clean/not (rather than just roulette every time). So if someone finds a river that worldgen has defined as clean, and the player susses it out as such (water tester or jsut drinking a ton and not getting sick and noticing the pattern) then maybe they can make use of it.

Did rainwater need boiling to drink? I can't recall. Maybe? Should it, really?

Edit: I actually LIKE the character gen pretty well, because as long as the disadvantages are well designed, they should always carry SOME risk of applying (if they never apply, they should be worth almost nothing) and it's about thinking what sounds like a funny gimmick to me...or that I think I can do without.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Coolguye posted:

I do feel like there should be some sort of win condition in the game, but it's difficult to know what to aim for. The whole gently caress off to space thing seems like a low hanging fruit but what does that entail? It's worth having a discussion about I think but there's a lot of poo poo to answer.

Obviously we just need multiple win conditions like a Civ game.

I'm voting for diplomatic victory with the zombies!

(I'm actually serious that multiple win conditions is a fun thing and enables more stories to be told. That said, I realize the work is actually deciding and implementing the specifics)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

I think this is a little beyond the scope of what one person would do, but what does everyone think about the sort of 'tools checklist' you end up with in this game? I realized recently that I've ended up playing a few different games (CDDA, Zomboid, etc) where if you aren't doing some gimmick run, you have to spend a bunch of your beginning game just running around fighting RNG to fulfill a checklist of tools because a lot of things are super strictly gated on having certain tools (and an inability to jury rig other solutions).

Granted, I think CDDA is better than zomboid in this regard (more flexibility on tools, etc), but it feels to me a little...off. I mean, yes, sure, of course if I want a generator, that's the only solution to THAT problem, but I feel like there could be a more interesting angle here... but can't quite put my finger on it.

EDIT:

Speaking of cooking recipes, I really hope people rework the cooking system at some point. The recipes are a little too static (I'd rather see ingredients have tags/traits, ie, 'starches' should be pretty swappable etc), but also the number one gripe I have is how inconsistent it is about bulk recipes and cooking. It's almost like people who designed the system have never cooked anything more in their lives than reheating a tin of chef boyardee.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

If you had more skill than needed (or were willing to take some other kind of penalty) to craft but didn't have QUITE the perfect tool for the job, I wish it would let you sort of 'improvise' with a less-perfect tool.

Ingenuity should be a thing, and it would make the fabrication game less of a ridiculous shopping checklist simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

queserasera posted:

I feel that way for some CDDA recipes, especially the cooking ones. The last time I played, the game differentiated between sealed and unsealed containers, so you had to open your cans of broth or tomatoes or whatever so the game would recognize them as ingredients.

Another game idea: gourmet cooking after the apocalypse.

For CDDA I'm torn between thinking the people making how cooking works have never cooked in their lives and just assuming they didn't want to deal with the complexities of a reasonable cooking system.

Recipes are super wooden/static for the most part, and timescales (and scaling quantity) are pretty silly as well.