Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

I charged into a fungal bloom and destroyed the fungal tower, but the T is still there on the map. Should I assume the job is undone, or is that normal?

From what I understand it stops it from spewing out more fungaloids but it will be awhile before the existing ones stop appearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I believe for a stone pot you need some cooking skill, maybe one point, and survival 2. Though you'll also need a hammer and either a bunch of sinew/thread or a long string.

To empty, wield an item and hit capital U to unload. I recommend using a gallon jug for holding potable water because everyone else is too small and too annoying to deal with.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I hate juggling plastic bottles so the moment I find a gallon jug of bleach, that poo poo gets poured out and I fill it with clean water.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
In 0.5 vehicles are littered all over city blocks. Most of these are broken somehow, you can either salvage tires from a busted car and replace the ones on cars that have flats, or just replace the engine if your mechanics skill is high enough. Read a mechanics book if you can to get up to level 3, then look for hardware stores for wrenches, hacksaws and welders to pull cards apart with. Or, just hope you can find a car in a parking lot / garage / underground parking lot beneath an office tower. Sometimes fuel-less cars are out on the highways, far from town, or some wrecks are near gas stations in remote areas.

Also don't forget to fill something with gas, early on you can use a bottle but later filling a whole jerrycan and using that to refuel as needed is more efficient (e to interact with car, move over to the gas tank, then refill)

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Don't bother with ammo reloading. Without a source of extra primers and gunpowder (there are basically none) trying to reuse ammo casings is 100% pointless. The best thing you can reasonably do with ammo tools is to disassemble and reassemble 9mm all day to train firearms skill, that's it. Or if you just happen to have 9mm and need .38 or something, you can do that, but honestly 9mm is the only ammo that can be reliably scavenged up to be worth bothering with.

I wonder if it would be doable to make 9mm pipe smgs and rig them into homemade turrets just to destroy them for the change at more 9mm ammo.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Once I got a knife that sucked as a weapon becuase of some dumb penalties, but you could just carry it around as a cutting tool and invoke it to restore some health (then get it drained a tiny bit in a few steps) while simultaneously blasting down walls and whatever in a radius around you.

It was a pretty amazing artifact, and it was literally like my first? Second?

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I like taking Tough with Glass Jaw. Basically makes most of your body that much tougher but your head is normal, for not a lot of points.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Vehicles are retarded since when you first jump into one you can't even drive straight down a paved road. I use a nail clipper to wedge the right arrow down and drive in circles for ten minutes so I can get to driving 4, then I can drive perfectly.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Figures that they still haven't fixed that, since it is actually a very painful and annoying thing that would actually be extremely helpful if it was fixed. I solved that problem by throwing all those lovely plastic bottles out, finding and then unloading a gallon jug of bleach on the floor and using that to store all the water I need.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Unless the recipes got nerfed, fuel up a vehicle and find a safe, open spot, drive around in circles for ten minutes to train up driving and once you hit skill 4 go into town, run over zombies and hunt for bullets and some tools to pull em apart and refabricate the bullets over and over until your mechanics skill is level 3 or so. Charge up a welder and glue your car back together and take a hacksaw to some wrecks and go nuts.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I've never gotten fresh meat out of a human corpse, unless it was alive and breathing moments before I mowed them down with a gun/vehicle/convenient horde of zombies. NPCs were great back when ammo was plentiful and firearms were hugely powerful, plant a .233 between the eyes and come out with sometimes surprising loot. Once I picked up a "nearby fire" that weighed nothing, could be safely picked up and essentially acted like a, well, nearby fire in all aspects. Though I scummed huge amounts of CBMs in that world thanks to the vehicle trunk duplication bug and didn't really need it.

I haven't really been checking out updates, I'm kind of hoping someone will finish a build where a lot of the conveniences and additions are 'stable' but from the sound of it this is probably never going to happen anytime soon.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Just sounds like mechanics are going nuts. Archery was awesome, then it sucks, now it's okay again, and now it's broken, guns went from plenty of ammo and very effective to pretty good but ammo rarely drops.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest it was kind of interesting to find use for the nail gun, especially when they added nails falling out of busted furniture. Burning down a house meant piles of ammo for the thing.

Gun mods, that was definitely something I really enjoyed fiddling with. Making a 1911 that shot 9mm bumped the kinda piddly caliber do much more substantial damage thanks to the pistol's hefty damage boost.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How do all of you start out a game of Catacylsm, I'm curious. Right now I'm running version 0.8, dynamic spawn, no skill rust (because gently caress that bs)

I usually grab some rocks, craft a crowbar and then go looking for storage space and tools, throwing rocks at lone zombies and then camping out back in the shelter while raising survival skills. Lately I found pulling shrubs in the forest to train survival to 1, then making digging sticks from smashed small trees gets survival up pretty easily, letting you carve meat effectively and also letting you make a stone pot and bone needles too. Speaking of rocks, I found I have a far easier and completely ammo-unreliant time just throwing rocks or tools at squirrels and rabbits, as opposed to bothering with the giant slog that is archery.

Also grinding mechanics to 8 from just dismantling abandoned wrecks is pretty broken, once you get there you can make a pneumatic bolt rifle (though there are no ways to make steel bolts yet it seems)

I've been fiddling with the negative occupations too, I thought it was kind of strange that the shower victim had no clothes (at least start with a towel, sheesh) but still managed to have matches and a pocket knife. I tried burning both and going with not even a blade or firestarter, and learned that surviving without a sharp edge is really, really hard.

e: One of the more convenient things I discovered was using ( to disassemble long strings, you can just smash a few windows and have enough string to make survival gear or mend clothes with. I'm still kind of surprised that practicing on un-damaged clothing is still far and away the best method for training tailoring, honestly.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 8, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I downloaded the lastest nightly build, and was going pretty well with my detoxed prostitute when I made a stone hammer and then tried to deconstruct one of the benches in the shelter and the game just disappeared. Shut down, gone, along with much of my progress. :cry:

e: Well, I had the screwdriver but didn't have a hammer, so I went through the old homemade route. Honestly it seems kind of surprising that something like taking apart a bench would throw up a crash when it worked perfectly fine in 0.8 and all.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Nov 14, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
And now the game crashes when I try to load. These release candidates are just far too buggy to realistically play even a few days into.

e: Version 0.8-2655-g944f932

Checking the logg it always seems to crash after "Attempting to Create Rotation Cache" if that's any clue.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 14, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, that could be it. I just dumped the build in the same folder without thinking. Oops :downs:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
use 'V' to get a look at everything around you and check if there are any items that you're interested in. It's easy to miss something out of sight/light but it beats having to check every square with a zombie horde after you.

Also I haven't upgraded to the full 0.8 yet given the crash bugs but I noted that I found a 'go bag' in a house and though, oh neat, a new kind of storage bag! ... and then it was, except it was also stuffed to the brim with equipment, clothes, and even another pocket knife. :stare: Even a character that somehow started with absolutely no items would be set up and raring to go after one of those.

As far as a newbie guide, well, it's surprising what you can get away with using just your pocket knife and random stones plus the string from the windows, you can disassemble the strings into thread as needed and throw rocks at critters with surprising damage and accuracy, practice survival by pulling up shrubs in the forest and making digging sticks from bashed young trees, and then once survival is at 3 or so (check with @) you're pretty good at carving up even small animals for meat, and can start making many of the stone tools and bone needle.

Cooking meat early on is easy enough with a pointy stick or skewers (use your knife on a stick) and skewers themselves make great firewood, but later you'll want the stone pot so you can boil water as safe water can be a lot harder to get than safe food. Eventually you can make painkillers and sleep aids by checking out those poppy flowers seen growing around, which is far better than having nothing on hand in a pinch.

Of course, this all presumes you have enough space to hold all the stuff, so unless you're willing to get a bone needle and practice tailoring ASAP (break windows in shelter, use knife on the sheets, use the rags to make socks and apply the sewing kit on any non-torn articles for practice) you'll probably have to stick close to base and deposit tools back in the base. Speaking of the base, holing up in the shelter isn't too bad, though you'll probably want to Construct a wood stove/metal furnace (brazier blows, don't bother) and a makeshift bed.

Those basic tools and equipment are probably not going to save your face from getting caved in by a zombear, so finding ready-made tools and equipment from scattered bodies, cities or trap circles can be a lifesaver. A simple crossbow and a handful of steel bolts can do a ton of damage to a zombie if you let them get closer and get an accurate bead on their vital spots, just remember the reload takes time.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 16, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Another weird thing, I left a plastic bag outside in the stormy rain and when I came back to it it was loaded with 25 units of water :stare: I wish I could fill it manually, that's just insane.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
With all the dried and preserved food that was added in the latest versions, my car is a fantastic kitchen (literally, with an RV kitchen unit installed) but I can hardly be bothered to pull out ingredients and make something fantastic half the time in between dismantling/reassembling flashlights or directional antennas. Fried SPAM and simple scrambled eggs it is, if I'm not butchering critters or digging up wild veggies.

At least oatmeal and cornmeal seem to stack after I pull them out of the boxes. I hope this won't let them spoil or anything... not like it hurts the powdered eggs any. My only problem really is water, and I have a steel jerrycan full of the stuff to boil as needed. Living like a scavenger king, hell yes.

It's really nice to see basements again, even if they are overpoweringly huge loads of treasure that can last you several days.

I dug up some scrap and a spring from a crater and made a crossbow with a clip of 10 bolts, the thing is amazing. It's also nice to have the option to make scrap metal bolts, though I wound up grinding snare triggers so I could assemble/disassemble crossbow traps to magically turn wooden bolts into steel ones.

Yeah, the game has a lot of broken elements to it. And I love it!

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Last time I tried the menu only allowed clean water to fill the water tank, so no filling up the tank with sewage and then just boiling the water with a kitchen unit, magically making it pure as freshly fallen snow. I keep forgetting that I have the tank and just fill my gallon jug up at a river or toilet using an Integrated Toolset hotplate or a blazing fire fueled by a little sliver of wood.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
One thing that nags at me is the recipe for the crude knife; while I appreciate what it's there for, the need for a rag, which you can pretty much only get from... using a knife on clothing, kind of ruins the point. Maybe an awkward tool made from a heavy stick/2x4 and a spike/scrap that only acts as crude scissors would be a solution. Even the simplest pocket knife requires the whole anvil/forge setup to make, which is virtually out of the question for a starting off character.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Inadequately posted:

Also I would love to fill up a water tank with nothing but beer, and go on a booze-soaked drive all through the countryside.

I've been taking all the gallon jugs of stuff in my car, dumping them into jerrycans then taping the empty gallon jugs together to make a new jerrycan. I haven't touched brewing at all, but right now I've got jerrycans filled with cheap wine, ammonia, bleach, water, and concentrated acid.

If a lightning bolt hits my storage then it will probably create a toxic explosion the likes of which can be seen from space.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Crafting to level skills is likely best for skills that are trivially easy to get the resources for, or ones that can be a pain to train otherwise; heavy sticks / two by fours to make a million arrows to up fabrication, or digging sticks to raise survival, or snare triggers to raise trapping; sewing together socks to train tailoring, or taking apart and reassembling flashlights to raise electronics. It's mostly stuff like computers or first aid where I really want to find the books for. I also found out there's a driving manual that raises your skill to 3; I really wish I had found one of those as training driving manually is miserable.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to the Focus mechanics driving raises so slowly now that I don't even bother trying to grind it. Level 3 drivers guides are basically Holy Grails to be treasured.

Since it is way easier to find Under the Hood books and pull apart and repair vehicles to train mechanics, it just seems to be a lot more efficient to store supplies in a fixed location early on and just treat any and all vehicles as finicky disposable rides that you will likely wreck and destroy very quickly, especially if you can't get access to loads of welder batteries / an integrated toolkit with Metabolic Interchange / a vehicle welding rig stuck to an electric car.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I think the game would have quite a bit of added edge if eventually all the wildlife started turning into diseased rotten critters, not necessarily hostile but unable to be harvested for food.

At that point you would either have to be forced to go out further to hunt for food, start a farm or rely on vegetables and stored food for as long as you intend to stay put. I mostly say this as a semi nomad with a hundred smoked meats in the trunk along with eggs oats flour... After a certain point food just is a nonissue.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I started using melee weapons with throwaway drug addicted characters, turning the game a 'find the remains of the previous characters' scavenger hunt. The real downer is having to blow fifteen minutes detoxing if I seriously find that a character that is doing pretty well, but anyway melee just is drat hella broken compared to how it used to be back in whales' days (not bad, to be honest). Grabbed an aluminum bat from the sports store and it blocks attacks from rats, cougars, loving' MOOSES (meese?) all day while you wallop away for free. Another character I had earlier had a sweet rapier that blocked and murdered everything, but she crashed into a car with her scooter and it exploded, killed her instantly.

This is with a duffel bag for 3 encumbrance, even. Kinda wishing I can attach an underslung shotgun to this bat now, haha.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I just discovered office towers are full of office chairs you can throw stuff on and pull around like a shopping cart. If only I had some foot pedals.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Pipes, aluminum bats, rapiers, broadswords... the block is just so good and just about anyone can get a pipe, if you can get a sword from a mansion or pawn shop then you're in fantastic shape.

As far as funnels go, in one world after jumping down and up the stairs it filled up plastic bags (oddly enough) with 24 units of water, and topped off gallon jugs in an instant. In my current world it does the same, but with acid water instead. Well, at least there's a river nearby...

Also I found that pool water is surprisingly drinkable, either that or I've just been really lucky with it. Must be the chlorine.

Oh yeah, gently caress whatever monster it is that seems to zoom in specifically on destroying kitchen units and welding rigs, drat fuckers.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 28, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just waiting for the inevitable hard, crazy nerf that makes basically all melee do 4 damage and only two handed forged steel weapons can break double digit damage (12 strength minimum to even hold, of course) so that I can just go back to throwing sticks and stones at things while shooting them with bows (which seem way, way improved in 0.9 vs 0.8) or guns.

It's a shame that there really are a ton of weapons and items you just won't use at all because you essentially can never find or craft them, and by the time you have welders or forges or whatnot you've already found a really good weapon that performs better.

e: There's a thought, I should build a static spawn world and see how that plays out.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 28, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I use whatever random vehicles that I can find/repair, because the way I see it no matter what kind of vehicle I make I will inevitably ruin it my crashing into things and repairing is very time intensive. I'm more fond of electric cars, and having found that 'c'hanging tires is a lot easier than welding on a new set I try to find a jack if I can and steal some tires off some other nearby car.

The thing about zombie dogs is that they're fast but not too durable. Lure them out first the moment you see them on the radar and beat their faces in, then worry about other special zombies that are generally faster than the typical mobs.

If you're patient, you can dig up shrubbery in a forest until you hit survival 1 and then make a digging stick from a stick ('s'mash a young tree with a rock or something) and dig pits in a safe area to lure zombies towards.

Tailoring is pretty important yeah, if you can't access town at all it's pretty much your only access to armor and carry space.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If you were wearing ninja gear and set up with deadly throwing stars, you betcha. Ninja duplication magic technique, poof!

And then we would need to make pirate gear along with period flintlocks, peg legs and bicorne hats, to play the eternal rivalry between european corsair and japanese assassin. And maybe a pet parrot that uses a new animal handling skill to train, and abandoned galleons to sail across the sea, and...

Okay yeah that is way out there but there are furries, knights and samurai so it's probably reasonable :colbert:

e: Profession: Japanese/German transfer student, changes all item names and flavor text into the appropriate languages.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I started as a hobo, got some awesome poo poo and I was on my way back from my run to town for food and water so that I could start detoxing. I've played a bunch of hobos before and this has never happened... Is there anything I can do short of lie here and wait to die?

Drop everything, go to the shelter and go downstairs and sleep it off. Maybe read a magazine (or anything that is for fun/+morale) while detoxing to help things go by faster. Depressant effects from addiction are no joke, as a hooker you can be really strong and quick while addled on crack but once you start to run out you need to beeline back to a safe place otherwise your speed will tank to 25 and stay there until a day and a half passes or something comes to eat you, usually the latter.

e: Ahahah Dodging 8, man the dodge skill is broken as gently caress.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It is surpremely easy to grind dodging completely accidentally by using a pipe or something to block sewer rat attacks while dodging every other hit. It's even more hilarious when they come around when you're sleeping because you just sleep-dodge your way into several free levels of dodge skill overnight.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, it sounds fine, it's what I would do if I were creeping around a lab and knew that turrets were bad at seeing in the dark. What's more fascinating is why all the flashlights lying around are lovely old bulb flashlights that eat batteries in seconds instead of nice LED flashlights that last for several hours.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Oh ok, thanks. Also I thought archery was supposed to be good but at 3 archery with a longbow and field point arrows it takes like 3-4 shots to kill a standard zombie, it's awful. It also trains at less than 1% skill per shot which seems to be unaffected by if I'm shooting at anything. When does it get good?

It gets good when you throw those crappy bows away and tinker together a repeating crossbow :getin:

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Alternatively you could make use of an exploit to turn wooden crossbow bolts into steel bolts and just make a crossbow if you have traps 3. It still uses archery to fire so you can upgrade your damage without as much of a wait - what you do is make crossbow traps with wooden bolts, and when you disarm them you get steel bolts.

Better yet, don't even bother disarming the traps but instead disassemble the crossbow trap and you get the components back without risking an arrow to the groin.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 1, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
If that guy doesn't want to listen to you and he is simply attacking you personally, then just ignore him. You can't please everybody and a project like this will always have people who are full of acid and hate, look at Starbound, which isn't even out and people are just full of piss over it. If he had anything meaningful to say and wanted to actually contribute then he could have simply said his piece and been done with it. To me, having things scattered about actually seems to slow the game down so if stocking them in easily visible shelves helped speed the game up I would be all down for that.

I could see why people might not like it if it, say, made it harder to tell exactly what parts you were using to craft (are you using that trophy blade that killed two tanks on the shelf of pride, or that rusted old thing you found stuck in a zombie the other day?) but that's wading into interface territory. All in all while managing crafting reagents can be done pretty nicely by using proximity (fire pit in center, jerrycans of water to the right, preserved food up top, canned goods northeast, etc) if you don't like piling goods on tables and shelves for easy access then you could simply just... not leave stuff on them, geez.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I presume it is because some reactions require a steady, consistent source of heat that doesn't flicker or flare up like a fire would. You probably wouldn't want to work with explosive or toxic materials without a very controlled and stable heat source.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
In the end the game is a roguelike, knowledge of the game system and how to manipulate the items you find will hands down trump any advantage or disadvantage mere stats or skills give out. Having professions and such I think are more or less ways to simply and quickly introduce certain mechanics that you might not otherwise have touched (Prostitute showed me how useful crack is as a stimulant, but also showed the horrible negatives of severe drug addictions) or start with items or toys that can make starting options a bit more broad.

One trick I just learned, I always carried a hacksaw around for dismantling vehicles, but I just today found that after (or before) bolt cuttering the wires from a chain link fence you could use the hacksaw on the fence post to turn it into pipes. fences don't stand a chance against me now.

(Don't go ripping up fences everywhere you see or the piles of wires will slow the game down unless you have a beast of a machine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

I think tweaker needs tweaking.

The amphetamine withdrawal... isn't survivable. Don't know exactly what happens, but at about 1500-1800 heartbeats in you lose around a day and a half's worth of turns. I suspect no one tested amphetamine addiction that high, or it's interacting weirdly with something else.

I once had a character take some amphetamine to get a speed boost to escape some zombies. It provides a really, really strong kick, but the crash afterwards is horrible, it puts you squarely into Exhausted territory. That coupled with the morale and withdrawal penalties taking out a whole day's worth of turns is hilarious since now you get to add dehydrated and famished to the mix.