Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hi everyone, just started playing this game ~5 days ago and man, am I hooked. So much granularity, so many interesting little tidbits and possibilities and interactions. Definitely scratches the same itch that Caves of Qud does.

I got a question about vehicles in the road. Is there a way to go about getting car wrecks out of the road so you can pass by streets they're blocking by car? One of my biggest annoyances while travelling is having to circumnavigate major urban/suburban arteries blocked by inconveniently placed cars, and I don't know if it's possible to, say, completely dismantle them or shove them out of the way or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

poo poo, guess I better work on my cooking skills. Or I better figure out how to get some chains to make a towing cable. Thanks guys!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How likely is it to find an anvil somewhere in the game? It seems like forging one is a real hassle to do.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

How long does it take zombies to revive? I am breaching my first lab, and I want to dissect a bunch of scientist corpses for their bionics, but I am not sure how much time I have to cut them up before they start waking up.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

After raiding a lab and getting several backpacks worth of extracted CBMs, I didn't find an autoclave. I tried raiding the town hospital, but while I found a lot of plastic pouches, no autoclave. I am beginning to get worried I spent all that time harvesting for nothing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Heh, guess the autoclave didn't end up being an issue because I used an already sterilized CBM with an autodoc that I *thought* was secure, and ended up having a swimmer zombie eat my anesthetized torso to death. At least it was a painless death, I suppose.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I'm sure plenty of people have brought this up already, but do you guys just play your character until they become basically unkillable post-apocolyptic gods riding atop a death chariot?

I just started playing the game and started off with the convicted prisoner start. And after escaping prison and looting the next town over I'm sort of at a loss as to what my motivation is other than just see how long I can survive.

I get that this game is a sandbox (and a great one at that), but even rimworld, and factorio, hell even Minecraft has an option to 'wrap things up' once you feel like you've progresses sufficiently far. Not saying I'm there yet by any means but I do kind of wish there was more to the game other than attempting to avoid the lose condition for as long as possible

There's prescripted quests, right? I suppose once you've completed the last quest, you've gotten as far as version 0.whatever has to offer. I would imagine some kind of closure is in the long term plans, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't become version 1.whatever until they have a formal "win", however rudimentary.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lone Badger posted:

Find an autoclave isn't the end. The furniture sort require a ludicrous amount of plutonium cells to function. You have to find a portable autoclave, turn it into a mounted autoclave, then mount it in a vehicle* with a charged storage battery and a tank of water.

* does not have to be an actual vehicle, just something built using the vehicles system

Wait until you finish your raid before you bandage and disinfect. Being bandaged and disinfected will help you heal faster but not being so won't make you degrade or anything, and as you've noticed being hit again ruins the effect.
Your outcomes are 'poor' because your character is bad at First Aid and hence only getting a relatively small bonus (compared to what you could get if you were skilled).
Feel free to use antiseptic but definitely reserve a few doses in case of deep bite.

I could have made a power structure from the many solar panels I was irrationally hoarding plus a bunch of scavenged car batteries, but I never found any autoclave, let alone a portable one is the problem. I am guessing they aren't guaranteed, are they.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I get that it's just to gate access to the zillions of CBMs you can scavenge from labs, but in principle an autoclave isn't so different from a pressure cooker. Considering the ridiculous latitude this game gives you in terms of what you craft, it's dissonant on a simulationist level that you can't make one.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Motherfucker posted:

Typical american healthcare all told.

Don't be absurd, that's vampires, not zombies.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It doesn't. The blob doesn't kill anyone.

Deep zombie bites kill you because you come down with sepsis.

It's still dumb that you clean wounds with disinfectant, rather than soap and water or saline irrigation, though. It doesn't really make sense, if a bite is deep enough to give you sepsis then just putting a little hydrogen peroxide on it shouldn't really help, at all.

I missed this last page but I agree, also another problem is that hydrogen peroxide is counter-recommended as a wound disinfectant anyway. It interferes with the healing of tissue.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hope you have gas protection. You'll need it, if I remember right.

A fun thing I have learned is that if you outfit a vehicle so you have wheels along each section of the frame, your car becomes a rolling pin of death with which you can destroy the corpses of the zombies you hit-and-run by veering back and forth over them one or two times.

On this bad boy, I have 3 wheels in the front, and 3 wheels in the back. I pared it down from an APC. It's a deathmobile with
every amenity needed to craft and survive.

Plus, it's great for raiding gun stores and high end electronics shops (the ones with bionics and windows with bars), I just have to back it up so the hatch is aligned with the door, and then pass through the hatch and pick the lock. Since those shops are so secure, its not like they can break in the windows to get at you. Easy peasy!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah but doesn't that also destroy most loot?

After a certain point, you don't really stand to gain much from enemy corpses.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ms Adequate posted:

Is there a way to speed up disassembling rags for thread? It's okay if I'm injured or whatever but if I've got Things To Do then spending two days sorting out a bunch of thread is a bit of a pain

I think you can drop them all then hit "B" and there should be an option that will serve your purpose.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lone Badger posted:

Leukocyte Breeder keeps your Health value maxed out as long as you keep feeding it power so you'll always be feeling amazing.

Unless you turn it off. Bad things happen if you turn it off.

If you're running Stable (and based on those damage values you are), why reload bullets? That bow will serve you just fine.
(Equip and fill quivers to boost your ROF, and set autopickup manager to grab arrows automatically)

oh no, do they nerf bows?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Lone Badger posted:

Currently however it is very easy to get an M4 and several thousand bullets, so just use thst.

tell me more

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Also, just got 2 faulty implants at 4% failure in a row, sheesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spF6A2QK31s

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wish you could set an alert for when you find certain kinds of items in the way you can for certain enemies. Right now I am scavenging everywhere for a plastic sheet to make an armored cleansuit.

Then again this game has so many commands that bloating it with another would probably make it even more intimidating to new players.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Morbid Fiesta posted:

I found a pair of friendship bracelets in a house and figured I'd hang on to them in case I made a friend. I now have 3 friends, 2 of which are very disappointed in me since I'm unable to craft them matching bracelets.

I think you can craft beaded bracelets, and then enscribe the word "friendship" on them. It's not quite the same thing as the woven cords, but the thought would be there!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

So I just got a hydraulic muscles implant, what's the most efficient way to translate temporary high STR into dead zombies? Composite bow? Unarmed? Bludgeons? Throwing things?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if I can learn that from books in dojos, or fitness gyms. I'm starting with the dojos, I want to lean Tae Kwon Do anyway

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Caidin posted:

How do they square all that with the zombies and triffids and the lovecraft monsters?

the same way those conspiracy theorists who really believe in aliens or flat world come up with complicated bunk science to justify it do, I imagine

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Qubee posted:

A zombie soldier really hosed my torso up, got me down to 2 bars and it was orange. I've spent a day and a half recuperating and I'm still only at 4 bars and don't want to risk going out on adventures. I've just spent my time reading, reinforcing (and destroying) gear, and I wanted to figure out how to chop trees down but I can't make an axe. Probably need survival 2 or something, right?

This database says survival 3, Fabrication 2, apparently.. I think that means you're going to need to do a lot of poking in the bushes, plus also making some fishhooks and then washboards.

Caidin posted:

Actually neither. Boxing books are only found in boxing gyms so you need to find one of those, they aren't terribly uncommon in large cities.

Oh hey, I have 2 of those in one of my big towns! I did not even notice. Excited to be the best cyborg boxer I can be!

This game rules

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Angry Diplomat posted:

There's another strength-based martial art that works hilariously well with hydraulic muscles. I think it's Krav Maga? I remember that it has a flying knee special move and its attacks and damage are calculated pretty much entirely off of strength. I once started an industrial cyborg with that and his hydraulic flying knee strikes were one-hit-killing zombies so hard that they flew like 5 squares away and became pulped on impact lmao

The sweet science, indeed. I will be interested to see how the numbers for the others compare.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I wonder if I should get or make a fist weapon to use with cyborg boxing. Also, where the heck do you get synthetic fabric? I want to repair my 2 webbing belts, but I can't even disassemble other webbing belts to get it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Morbid Fiesta posted:

It's flagged as no_salvage on the item browser so good luck locating some. You're better off just finding new web belts, may I suggest a Mil Surplus store.

They haven't been carrying any, beside the good one that I got originally. And now it's damaged :(

Just like this run, I have found like 5 portable autoclaves so far, but no pouches. But the doctor's offices have also been generous with sterile CBMs, so I am not complaining.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, I figured something out, apparently a welding rig repairs them. Neat!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Use this handy page. Aside from stats for everthing you can also see recipes and such. If you don't want to spoil yourself you have to go by trail and error

Also, tragedy.jpeg

How do you get other tiles like that?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AFashionableHat posted:

Bike racks work on single-tile-side vehicles. Dunno if you can attach multiple ones though.

How do you make a single tile vehicle? I assume there is a way besides stripping down an existing one to 1 tile

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Manager Hoyden posted:

Extra light frame, saddle, wheelchair wheel, v12 engine

Heh, that was an interface question, actually. What sequence of keys do I have to press to make a vehicle from raw materials?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Chobayt posted:

Portals, from what I've seen, can range from pretty meh like you saw, up to "Never go there ever, don't even drive close by" if they have one of those floating eye things hanging around. The two times I've seen an eye they've caused a character death both times just by looking at me. Both times do to some weird-rear end bullshit that wasn't apparent at first, looking at the wiki afterward told me it's this thing called teleglow sickness.

Driving back to base, doing 40, passing a gas-station. Nudge the car to the left to dodge a zombie when "You feel nauseous." pops up, the very next turn everything turns purple and then I'm blind and skidding and crashing into a gas pump. The other time was my second ever character and the thing gave me fungal infection. I'd never even seen the Mycus at that point so I just thought I had a cold and hold up in a house with some antibiotics to ride it out. A few days later I was hacking up spores, puking brown goo and then my arms exploded. Twice.

They suck rear end and I'm not sure if there's any real counter to them aside from "Never go near portals so they never get to see me" and *hopefully* "have a souped up deathmobile-base with no windows that I drive by camera".

drive by camera? I didn't know that was even an option

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

On a related note, is there any way of protecting against blindness from flaming eyes? Do flare compensators or something help?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Marenghi posted:

Lot of posts here since I last checked. Was there some major improvements or has it just become more popular since Covid-19?

I had a look on the subreddit to see if anything new going on. Saw someone ask why game changes such as removing solar powered laser turrets can be justified by "these are absurd". And the developer who approved it replied what's unclear, they are absurd and don't follow the laws of physics.

So I'm guessing the development is still being lead by pedants who claim it's all for realism.

I think me and a couple other people got into the game just recently and because it's so granular we have had a lot of questions.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Where does one find these laser turrets that are being disputed in recent development?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

There should not be multiple HUB01's on one world, right? I seem to have encountered a second one.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am still just playing the most recent stable version, and I found a laser rifle in the bottom floor of one of the labs I raided. After installing it in an automated turret, I gotta admit, it is a ton of fun to just annihilate hordes of zombies with endless beam spam. However, it doesn't really seem more effective than, say, an automated M249 for which you can get virtually unlimited ammo, it just doesn't have that nagging feeling I always get whenever I fire a conventional weapon that I am consuming a finite resource.

I suppose I will be using the aftershock mod on the next stable release.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I dunno if this is common knowledge but apparently cloaking plus a vehicle with an automated turret is an effective countermeasure against flaming eyes. The eyes don't look at you if you're cloaked, and you can get close enough, fast enough to easily kill them before you run out of bionic energy.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Can't you kinda achive the same by crouching behind the wheel while you drive up to them? I swear I read that you can stop turrets from seeing+shooting you that way while you plow towards them with your deathmobile

... I didnt know you could crouch

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I seem to have found another refugee center, with clones of everyone from the one I was directed to originally. Weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

He thinks it's a slur, soo....

I imagine that he wants to speak with everyone's manager a lot.

Yeah I would imagine that as a broke brained computer toucher he doesn't have a lot of sympathy for service employees