Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

lordfrikk posted:

I was hoping that 0.F will be out before Christmas so I can binge play it again this year but seems like it's more work that expected. Is the current state of experimental good enough? On GitHub they still have 29 confirmed blockers, that looks like late spring release at the earliest. And they started planning for it in August, wow.

I've liked playing the most recent experimental versions. There's a lot of things that make the gameplay more complicated, but there's also new things like functioning helicopters, a cool new hospital layout, and also significant expansions of both Aftershock and Magiclysm mods, both of which I like. For instance, there's now specialized augmentation clinics in Aftershock and a new shop type in Magiclysm that offers oodles of magic goodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

An aeronautics engineering proficiency is also being worked on so you can, at minimum repair helicopters and potentially maybe even modify them

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I feel like there's been a lot more inconvenient bodies of waters in recent mapgen builds, and there have definitely been places where one map "sector" didn't align quite right with another and there were orphaned towns and HUB01s with no roads leading to them, and so on

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Does smashing corpses that have a chance for bionics, like shocker zombies, affect the chance that you can successfully recover those bionics?

The better the condition the corpse is in, the higher the chance of recovering bionics through dissection. For best results, kill them via bloodloss. Do not pulp.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Slingshots and other piddly ranged tools are also good for this reason when hunting small game

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arven posted:

So you're telling me that my hunting technique of hitting things with my car isn't the best way to go?

I've produced undamaged corpses via vehicular collision, its just a matter of hitting them *just* right

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The mini reactor is the densest source of power, yes

It's a must-have if you're making extensive use of laser weaponry

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

If you are scouring entire towns, the panels won't be enough though but you can use them in conjunction with the reactor to reduce fuel consumption

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

I remember several pages back people were complaining about laser turrets being removed. Are they still in as part of aftershock, or is it some other mod? And where would I find them? I suppose labs?

Aftershock is the mod you want, and labs and military outposts (the places with turrets on all sides) are the best candidates for finding them, barring the extremely rare hornet's nest in town where you find high tech goods.

With aftershock installed, one of the science lab computer-locked rooms is a "Weapons Testing" room, they are a good candidate. Other than that, you can also find them at the final chamber of some science labs.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Oh, and the thing you're looking for is A7 laser rifles. They can be installed in vehicle turret mounts in aftershock.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Jarf posted:

Got a minireactor. It owns. Is there any way to have it toggle on and off dependant on battery power?

Like the smart engine controller.

Alas, not that I can tell

Just keep an eye on your juice and activate it selectively.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Inglonias posted:

Could have sworn the survivor suit was removed for being overpowered and unrealistic, though I would be happy to be wrong

It's a lot harder to make with the new proficiencies system. If you haven't mastered the arts of advanced polymer sewing, garment closures, fabric waterproofing, and leatherworking, then it will take literal weeks of solid labor. Compounded with the new exhaustion system, it is not something you can finish in 5 days after starting the game like it was before.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Arven posted:

I've been playing Bright Nights for most of the year, so I honestly cannot tell if you're kidding.

read it and weep

personally I don't mind the addition but if you were used to being able to do just about anything in a week with optimal play I could see it harshing the enjoyment

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The compounding effects of proficiencies are even greater on heavy survivor armor

on the bright side I believe both varieties of armor are less encumbering than they were in the base game when the pockets are empty

Mr. Lobe fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 8, 2020

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You could also just have a cow and never hunger, or live the warriors life and plunder countless MRE rations from the military and scientific installations of the endless expanse of New England

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I'd definitely give it least a basic primer of some of the major differences between 0.E.2 and 0.F, given that they seem to be pretty divisive, as seen in this thread. Probably also a gesture towards bright nights as well as that fork seems to be oriented around resolving some of those dissatisfactions some people have with the DDA fork.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xii posted:

Yeah I was considering that myself. Ill be also skimming the thread for any interesting stories.

Do you have a link towards the last fork you mentioned?

Sure

https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN

Unless you meant DDA, which is just Dark Days Ahead, i.e. the "main" version of the game. But it's still an offshoot from the original Cataclysm which is many years old. May or may not be worth talking about that history in the next OP

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Xii posted:

Thanks. Ill be trying to make a comprehensive list of all the Cataclysm offshoots so if you have any additional information it would be greatly appreciated.

Sure, I'll see what I can do to chase down some of that information this weekend

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Telsa Cola posted:

Are those exosuits base game? There is a lifter one that you can toss into a animal carrier attached to your vehicle and its strong enough that you can shove aside most wrecks and vehicles, barring large military ones and 18 wheelers.

Yeah, they're base game. Useful for clearing wrecks

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Is there a way to put ammo belts back together from the linkages you find scattered around after firing them? I destroyed a turret and got an M249 out of it, which I've put on my vehicle. It had a few dozen belt linkages and casings scattered on the ground around it, as well as dropping well over a thousand rounds of 5.56, but even after looking through the item browser I can't seem to figure out how to get ammo belts. For now I guess I'll just load it with STANAG magazines.

(a)ctivate a linkage with more links and the rounds in your inventory

(r)eload partial belts with more links and rounds in your inventory

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Spoggerific posted:

Thanks, that did the trick. I was assuming it was done through crafting, but I was confused because the item browser didn't have any recipes to make belts.

Unfortunately, it looks like the turret didn't drop any linkages, even after disassembly. The only ones I recovered were on the ground along with the brass it made from shooting at zombies, so my new belt actually carries less ammo than a normal magazine...

Your best bet for belts in the experimental version is to unload turrets from military vehicles and also the stray beltfed guns soldier types drop it spawn with randomly in the wilderness. Or, if you find a military base, then have some of every kind of belt in their armory

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Climbing in an island prison start is practically required to survive. My strategy is to get a book or skill magazine from the room you start in and read it on the roof got a few hours. The dum dums will get most of themselves killed in all of the barbed wire, lol. You might even get a working gun from the body of a cop, which can be used to take out the hulk. If nothing else, you'll at least fond a lighter, which can make a fire trap for the stragglers

Also the hulk can smash open the locked gun room if you lure him there

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

tsk, figures the goblins would traffic in low grade stuff

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pretty sure there isn't, but that didnt stop me from making a joke.

I imagine if someone made a pr and a push request with high grade meth that maybe had more stimulant effect, it would be accepted though

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think the comment was more about the lack of benefits to Meth

Cocaine is still useful as a short term morale booster of you space out doses enough to not make addiction a serious problem so I don't think it's a principled opposition to drugs that drove that change but rather a overcommitment to a certain perverse notion of 'realism'

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That said, realistically doing Meth probably isn't going to improve your running speed by 20 percent or something

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah and Meth crash is implemented in game

Meanwhile there's no real downside to heroin or coke so long as you don't overdose or use enough to become addicted

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Telsa Cola posted:

Pigeons in my games keep aggroing on zombies and then swarming them down, as the zombies flail at them ineffectually.

Sat back and watched as they cleared most of a motel.

I love this

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You can currently win friends and influence pigeons with bird food, I think

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Is it better to smash or to dismantle when you're trying to gather enough metal to make an anvil?

Smash a crashed vehicle part with an intact heavy door but a broken supporting frame after repairing the heavy frame.

Voila, intact heavy frame with minimal effort. Dismantle it for 100 lumps, more than enough for an anvil

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

you can also hit 'f' to fire the turret if you are on the same tile as the turret mount. considering how accurate the selective fire turret guns are, it is a real treat to use one, so long as you have the ammo for it.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Is there a way to regain meaningful amounts of stamina during combat?

Respirator cbm

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks, has the emergency oxygen tank similar effects?

No, it has no effect on stamina regen. It is for smoke inhalation treatment.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Respirator CBM really is the only countermeasure when it comes to making up for poorly spent stamina. Really, it's best just to be very cautious and risk averse, and never get into a situation where you don't have at least 1 clear exit towards difficult terrain, i.e. forests and furniture. Even without parkour expert you can navigate those obstacles better than them and make some distance.

Alternatively, keep a path clear to an escape vehicle. A bike counts.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

To quote another game, overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Melee with monoblade and bionic combative melts through hordes and cuts up hulks and skeleton jugs to ribbons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Yeah but there's a theoretical limit to how many browning shells you can shoot but bionic Kung fu is inexhaustible