Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Tried this game out for the first time today, started as a mall cop. Sprint by luck to the parking lot where I'm surrounded by 30 zombies. Hop into the nearest (what I think is) a big-rig. Open help, look for button to drive car. It starts up. ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg. Commence me rampaging my way through the parking lot, killing more zombies than I have in all my runs since. Finally it broke down from a fuel leak sustained during the rampage and I got eaten by star crabs.

A good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Did someone make a mod that turns off all the dumb katanas/fedoras/wolf suits? I'd love to not have to experience any of that. Other than that, the game is awesome.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Sage Grimm posted:

Get a lighter/flamethrower and burn every single thing that disgusts you. Re-enact Fahrenheit 451.

While I appreciate everyone's advice this is clearly the correct response.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

You are actually the best. Gonna try this out tonight and report back ❤️

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm gonna do dumb kung fu in a wolf suit, I hope it makes you grumpy.

Please don't and it will.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Wales Grey posted:

Just for you, I've made a pair of mods that remove all the Weaboo and Furry crap. Just create a folder for each in your Cataclysm mods folder, named whatever you like, and save the text file as "modinfo.json". Just be aware that you can still start with Ninjitsu and other weaboo martial arts and get trained by NPCs in martial arts, as I'm still working out how to blacklist mutations.

Alright, I consoladated both into one and made the following changes:
Added to Blacklist: Fedora, Leather Collars (cat ears + fur collar don't seem to exist when I tried making the mod)
Removed from Blacklist: Judo, Muay Thai, Karate, Tai Kwan Do, Penjak Silat, and Ninjitsu Manuals
Tested and game starts fine, no more debug errors.

Get it here:
http://pastebin.com/am8Jjtc1

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 19, 2015

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

^people whining about people whining about fursuits :allears:

Ugh.

Finally got a really bad day character healed, kitted out in basic leather + trenchcoat, basic skills, food stockpile in a shelter, the works.

See a survivor with a 9mm, he turns hostile but keeps shooting zombies. I pop an adderall and run up to him. Feeling confident with 130 speed and my cudgel. Get 1 tile away and he shoots me once in the chest, instakilling me.

Ughhhhhhhh

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I don't seem to remember getting a morale penalty for going Mad Max on a couple random NPCs with a stolen RV.

Highly recommended, btw. You get all their stuff in perfect condition.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

So today I dropped a brazier in my house instead of activating it to make a fire on. Bad idea.

Well, at least I still have my health! :suicide:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

When I do a really bad day start I just cheat and give myself a medkit now. I've replayed the first day of my character's life enough dozens of times to feel justified doing it. Escaping from town is still something I only end up doing like half the time.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Now I want a mod to make bullets super rare, so using a gun feels like a truly last-ditch option.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

All the wheeaboo kung fu katana stuff used to bother me, but yeah I think taking out all the dumb fetishist "realism" gun nut stuff and streamlining and balancing the entire combat system and then FORKING the goddamn thing and keeping out future stuff like that would be a great goddamn step

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Put Johnny in

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I just use the launcher to back up my saves. Weird that you gotta use a third party workaround to make the game enjoyable but it wouldn't be the first time

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Maybe to deal with transdimensionals you extract some sort of essence from artifacts and use it to create a netherworld disruption bomb? You could also use it in smaller amounts to create void grenades that suck netherworld creatures into them. That would make Artifacts actually have a point and make their weird effects more of a temporary flavor before you drop them in your Bureau of Balance atomizer or whatever.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

TresTristesTigres posted:

If somebody does fork this game, can they make it so that when I throw a football to an NPC follower, they catch it and maybe throw it back, instead of killing me with a twelve gauge

What a story Mark!

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

My only thought is maybe you're using a gun that only does burst fire? Burst and single shot fire are two different keys iirc

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

One feature I'd really like would be the ability to upload your paper books to the tablet pc you can get. Hook that up to a UPS/internal power and you aren't reliant on the main reason for having a home base/vehicle anymore. Plus, it would give the tablet a reason to exist since right now all the game literature mentions how great it is but the wiki page for the tablet is like "I dunno, maybe play some music? Download super useless file? Did I mention how revolutionary this technology is?"

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

That's really cool. Also saves having to repair your backpack constantly.

Can you do the same thing with stuff like drop leg pouches and survivor belts? It would be so much easier to organize stuff like all meds in one pouch, tools in belt, ect.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There's also some work being made on letting you Ebookatize real books with the e-ink, so you can carry your recipes around with you.

As someone who prefers nomadic gameplay, this cannot come quickly enough

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Yeah I usually cheese the really bad day start so I can make my ~perfect character who just so happens to have my name~ but hopefully someday I can join the ranks of people actually playing the game properly

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Thank god someone made an ebook digitization mod I can play this game again, welcome back traveling ups murderhobo.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I believe you can also step into their line of sight for a single turn before they fire. So you ought to be able to peek into rooms you suspect may have one iirc

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The Lone Badger posted:

Not actually the case! The phase change to solid water stops bacterial growth because they require liquid water for their biochemical processes. From their perspective it's the same as if you dried the item. :science:
Freezing also kills about 80% of the current bacterial population due to cellular rupture, but that's not enough to be significant.

Could you hypothetically freeze and thaw something enough times to purify it?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

reignofevil posted:

Fix zombies getting into cars when they are pointed diagonally.

You mean you don't appreciate the feature of having a 5 dimensional car

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Nothing quite like it

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

reignofevil posted:

Edit- If you cross paths with a zombie hulk pick the nearest house, lure it inside and burn the house down.

If you do this, DO NOT hide in the basement, yes the floor above you will collapse, yes you will burn to death while simultaneously being crushed by burning debris and punched by the now burning hulk

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Machete with Penjak Silat is my personal favorite. Small, light, sheathable, and you get to feel like Brock Sampson every time you murder something with it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Cataclysm has by far the best vehicle creation and destruction system I've ever seem. It's amazing to me that more games don't emulate it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

They should just admit they're cribbing the unreal world nutrition/fullness system and steal it wholecloth because the current implementation is really bad.

Also, not sure if this is a new tweak, but when I first started playing again I couldn't eat anything because it was all frozen (astounding design decision) and when I finally got a hotplate I stuffed myself to full on food, perfect. Now just have a soda to take care of my thirst aaaand instant barf up all my food, now I'm hungry again.

I'm honestly impressed they could take something as basic as food and make it ruin the gameplay this much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Look I admire your commitment to authenticity or whatever but I cant look at something like this and not laugh. Does anybody think people actually care about this stuff? A fullness meter is already verging on needlessly complicated, modifying it further to the point of incomprehensibility is wild. I just want to eat stuff and not throw up and have to go find more stuff to eat. I just wanna grill