Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
If you can find a blanket you can just huddle in it for 20-30 turns after you've been chilly for a while. Seemed to work alright for me when it was snowing outside.

Or just snuggle random people's leftover blankets as you raid their houses if you don't have storage yet.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So I have a few funguses that I let grow and now I have a few too many:

This is one bunch of about 15 i have driven by. I killed the Fungal Bloom spire nearby, should these slowly die off now or do i need to kill each one individually?

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
If z levels are working, making z levels on vehicles might be a workable solution for mechs - building one might have to start off with a scaffold made of steel frames that you remove once the legs/arms/torso have been built.

Z levels on vehicles would mean you could climb on top of firetrucks and hippy vans to avoid regular zombies. And have multi-level doom rigs/mad max battles with bandits on the backs of tankers.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

aerion111 posted:

I hadn't considered that mutation, but fire certainly is the best solution to spiders.
I can only imagine what your base will look like afterwards, given spider-dens usually get turned into gravel and rebar.

I decided to fight my way into a few spider lairs for reals instead of burning everything down and found power armour helmet, a survivor map, and a bunch of other goodies that were actually kinda useful. Usually at least 1 good thing per lair if you can do it.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
If there is one thing the game needs it's an overhaul of the UI in the main menu and character creation - every layer of every menu does something different for each keystroke. It would make it a lot more accessible to beginners. Also in game pressing right selects things (in inventory, picking up stuff) but in some menus, butchering for example, it just cancels the dialogue box.

Consistency, people.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Drake_263 posted:

For what it's worth, here's some neat bulletpoints on my thoughts on the whole combat mechanics/design, in no particular order:

*The specific underlying math - actual dispersal, RPG-style percentage-rolls, roll a virtual D6, whatever, doesn't really matter, but it should be elegant. The more complex this poo poo is, the more likely it's going to have weird interactions with something else.

Something fun like:
25% chance to aim 1 square left of target
25% chance to aim 1 square right of target
25% chance it just missed, continues on trajectory
25% is either too high or too low (end bullet pathing),
If there is another target in the new trajectory, a (original accuracy/2) chance to hit each target in the same line. That way players can fire into hordes full auto they can do a lot of damage.

Drake_263 posted:

*Ranged vs Melee - Obviously both need to be powerful in their own right. Currently, the logic seems to be 'well you have to be close to melee so it needs to hurt more because muh hanzo steel. This leads to stupidity like a zombie taking two, three blasts of a shotgun to the face while you can one-shot a hulk with a swipe of your glorious nippon katana. How about we do it like this, instead - if you want pure DPS, go for a gun. That's what they're for. However, give melee weapons all sorts of other fun secondary side effects to compensate - baseball bats and big blunt weapon cripple your targets, cutting weapons get bleeds, whatever. Having access to easy crowd control effects and such gives you more options than 'wail on it like hell and hope he runs out of hp before you do'.
Maybe give melee weapons (maybe also some ranged weapons) an active defence, like if a zombie is reaching for you and you have a shotgun you wouldn't actively let it hit you, you'd fend it off with a butt of the gun, as well as potentially firing it on your turn. If a zombie tries to move next to you and you have a mop/polearm you can automatically keep it one square away, or if a Hulk charges and you had a rebar spear it may impale itself on it. That way wielding a melee weapon could be essentially adding extra defence, attack and gameplay options while still giving the player non-bumping choices in combat? Then you can drop the damage but still not die in combat if you're melee focused.

You could have different types of weapons have different effects (swords cut more vs clubs knockback and stun, etc), and you'd probably limit active defences to once per turn, increasing with melee skill & dependant on the weight of the weapon?

That would be a lot of work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
You can get normal batteries out without a winch, but for a storage battery:

They can be pretty big and heavy. "A PHEV battery pack may contain 5-27 kWh and weigh 100-600 kg plus the additional structural weight required to carry these batteries, and the vehicle must carry this weight even after the battery is depleted."

They should make some sort of lovely wood/metal hoist you can construct, maybe as a structure, that you can build with survival 3 or something.