Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
You can grind survival up to 3 on the first day by checking light green hashmarked forest tiles for wild veggies. It's the easiest way to get your butcher skills high enough to avoid clumsily destroying the meat of your kills. This will save you even more grinding later when you start hunting wildlife for food. It'll also give you enough food to last the first couple of days.

Anyone else like prisons for a homebase? It's got water, furniture for 2x4s, total safety indoors, convenient floor plan, storage facilities and when you clear it out it has large stockpiles of food and clothes. It's almost always near forest for hunting and treecutting and usually is a safe distance from undead spawns. It can even accommodate multiple vehicles behind the wire fence.

How to make it your own; a decent mechanic skill, crowbar and improvised lockpicks are required to gain entrance. The entrance wire gate must be lockpicked or you can smash through the wire fence. The crowbar will open everything else. Bring some armour penetration ability to bring down the 2 secubots inside. Most of the zombies inside are behind bars so are little threat, but there's huge mob in the cafeteria on the middle tile below ground. Don't walk in there unless you want to be swarmed, you can kill them with ranged weapons from behind bars. The rest of the zombies will jump you at the 3 stairwells. The already-encountered zombies will disappear from the prison map if you switch z-levels.

I got really lucky (abusing mapgen reloads and map reveal) and got a prison nearby an anti hill and triffid grove. With multiple labs/bunkers nearby and 2 towns within walking distance. So sick of finding prisons spoiled by crappy locations, this is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
How do I get rebar for the jackhammer crafting recipe? The only way I know is to already have a loving jackhammer and take down underground walls. Will burnt down buildings produce rebar? Or car collisions with buildings?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I'm loving the sheer carnage of inter-factional fighting between enemies now. I started up a new game as soon as I saw that feature was in 0.C. I have questions I have never yet answered for myself in-game and since for the first time I'm approaching end-game there are things that are new to me.

1). Is there any way to split stacks? I have huge stacks of bandages, cotton balls that are too heavy now to carry around unless I break them into smaller stacks.

2). What's up with solar recharging? It seems to only charge up during clear or sunny weather when the solar car is in the reality bubble. Can I build a solar-powered recharging station indoors and expect it still to recharge enough to keep my tools/infrastructure/turrets running? Is solar the only power option for charging batteries at a homebase?

3). What useful things can I do with the plutonium generator in the military outpost? I'd love to get power out of it at my homebase somehow.

4). What are reliable locations for power armour pieces and exotic CBMs? Or the skill books for crafting CBMs and power armour? The wiki says they can be crafted at minimum skill levels but the recipes aren't showing up for me in the crafting menu when I have the necessary skill points. I'm getting mostly the same ones from labs and electronic stores.

5). Can I do anything with the fermenting vats, wooden keg, standing tank built from the construction menu? I'm guessing the still, anvil, forge and kiln counts as a tool when built and in range of the player.

6). Are swamps with standing salt water the only renewable source of salt?

7). Does honey and royal jelly respawn in the beehives after you raid them?

8). Do fungus/triffids/blobs spread over the map by planting new colonies?

9). Can you close a netherworld tear in reality?

10). Is there any way to learn the recipes for things you can't directly disassemble? Like military rucksacks, for example.

11). The NPC at the refugee camp mentioned a gun that shoots rebar. What is this wonderous beast and how may I acquire one?

Corsec fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 3, 2015

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

chiefnewo posted:

You can also drop a discrete amount of an item by typing a number before you type the letter when in your inventory. e.g. push 'd' to drop stuff, then '3', then 'a', will drop 3 of whatever a is, leaving the rest in your inventory.

Also it seems pretty obvious that solar panels only work in the sun. I doubt they would work indoors at all.

The game seems to let indoor areas count as lit-up by the sun during daytime as long as it is above-ground, even if it is a room with no windows or other light source. So it's not self-evident whether solar panels would charge indoors if above-ground.

Thanks for the tips about splitting stacks. Been needing it for a while.

Also, I just got an ehnanced hearing CBM. My character is imagining random noises everywhere now. I guess he must be jittery.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 3, 2015

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

What's his survival score at? He could be hearing squirrels and just not able to see them.

Survival currently at 9. I tried chasing down the noise, but find nothing. I get it even on underground lab levels where I can verify nothing currently exists to make the noise. So just a downside to the CBM, i guess. It doesn't seem to disrupt sleep so far though. And by noise I mean question marks on the screen around the player, not posts in the action log.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Nothing really works outside your reality bubble, but there are a few methods of power generation you can use besides solar, which can be finiky with out a lot of panels. You can use an alternator with a any motor to make electricity. Even pedals work as long as you are using them. This drains your hunger, so its really a way to turn corn flakes into power. A common thing to do is to use a small 1 cylinder engine with a big truck alternator to make a little jenny for your base.

Plutonium generators can be obtained from labs or on a chance from disassembling those big generators at the outposts. They'll turn plutonium cells into electrical power. As for high end loot, your best bet is the bottom of labs. Down there you'll find high end CBM's, weapons, machines, or other esoteric loot.

Swamps are the main renewable source of salt. Bring a big barrel.

Items don't respawn.

The various netherworld factions don't really spread new colonies, it would be cool if they did. The constructions you mentioned are used for brewing lots of various alcoholic things. The rail rifle is a really high end construction that requires mechanics and electronics. It shoots out rebar. It is heavy, but awesome.

I last played before the game had power systems. So I need an alternator as part of the system before the power supply will charge the battery from a engine? What do I need to build to move power flow between the battery tile and power usage tiles? Do i need to interact with the brewing constructions to use them, or do I just need to be in crafting range while using a alcohol recipe? I'm at 8 each in electronics/mechanics but haven't got the rail rifle recipe yet.

I've raided one lab, and verified the CBM storage rooms. I left to grind computers before opening the storage vaults. I'm pretty sure there were different CBMs present when I returned and opened the vault. Could the RNG have created a new set of different CBMs between my two visits?

Also I found that pemmican seems to give about twice the nutrition from it's ingredients.

EDIT: Also, is there any way to repair/upgrade chitinous armour? Tailor kits and soldering irons don't seem to work.

EDIT2: Did they take acid rain out of the game now? Or is it seasonally variable?

Corsec fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 3, 2015

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I always play with a 'regular person' chargen, so 8/8/8/8 attribute, and maybe a few utility traits at most (packmule, scout, night vision). I've always found my characters do just fine in ranged/melee combat once I have leather clothes, quarterstaff, pneumatic weapons and abundance of caution. I like the challenge of not being very good at anything and also not being limited to particular strategies. So I've never learned if/how game becomes easier with higher attributes. I can't find any exact information about how the attribute bonuses affect probablistic combat outcomes, how much easier do things get with higher starting stats? How much of a handicap is a -120 ranged penalty?

With my 8/8/8/8 characters and some caution I find my biggest danger is when I'm hauling back sweet loot, don't have good ranged weapons and I can't hit the enemy due to torso encumberment or drop my stuff fast enough to lose the torso encumberment before I get killed. Spiders are absolutely the worst for this.

Anyone think pneumatic weaponry is overpowered? Once I get them, I never find a need for a better gun. Just different bolts for different folks.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I just let the extra points go to waste, expect maybe for the utility traits I mentioned, but I don't always play with them. It's not like the amount of skill points you have available to spend is anything but arbitrary anyway. Just enough for the challenge you want. I was curious how much easier it was with higher stats though since I didn't find exact info for combat calculations.

I find that pneumatic weaponry has much more conveniently craftable ammo than bows, since you just go straight from 2x4 to wood bolt, or rock to pebble and no multi-stage processes involved. You need metal bolts for amoured enemies, but that's easily made too. The only drawback I find is range, but you can take the enemies down fast enough it doesn't matter, in the worst case you can backpedal. You still need books and recipes, but you get no strength requirements and round capacity is enough so that reload time is not a major factor. Usually when I craft pneumatics I find the game suddenly becomes far less difficult so I was considering not playing with them anymore.

Actually I usually haul so much loot I need a shopping cart plus duffel bags. I only just now realised you can weld carts together so I'll try that next.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 14, 2015

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
NPC suicide: feature or bug? Noticed it a few times now. Once from a fleeing hostile NPC when I got too close and once from a refugee shelter merchant after his guards died.

All else (like location, resource access etc) being equal, does anyone think either a prison or a vacant refugee shelter makes a better fortifiable permanent homebase? The prison has interior bars and doors in case of perimeter breach, but metal bars/doors can be placed at windows/chokepoints in the refugee shelter for the same effect. The refugee shelter has stronger double-thick walls, but the windows are a weak point until they are replaced with metal doors (fronted by traps, naturally). The prison has the advantage of a roomy underground so that enemies can't be in the reality bubble while sleeping/crafting downstairs. I think I can justify using the map editor to add an accessible basement to the refugee shelter and unlocking all doors now that the NPCs just died to a marauding horde.

So what's the most successful fortification work other players have constructed, and at what locations?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So I reached another lab finale and when I entered the room it looked like the usual fusion/lasers gun plus computer printout. But after I cleared the securibots and crossed over, it turned out to be 40 mininukes. Are there now more than three standard lab finales and what else have I been missing?

I made my first attempt at a vehicle base from an APC, but in testing I was really disappointed how quickly enemies would break through the composite armour. I also had to stop and repair after every time I crossed a field and ran over bushes. From the way posters had been talking I had assumed heavily armored vehicles were pretty much invulnerable, but I hadn't realised how fragile and high maintenance the drat things are. I suppose in this case, the best defense is an active turret defense and plenty of ablative armour?

Does anyone know how the details of wanderspawn mechanics? I've been entirely free of them around my homebase for 100+ days, but when I travelled to a nearby lab about 40 tiles away I was quickly surrounded by spawn points for miles around. I'm guessing I violently depleted the spawns near my homebase and after I travelled I pulled in more spawns from further away? I keep checking the 'show hordes' function on the debug menu and the spawn points seem to have come out of nowhere though so I'm not sure what the underlying mechanics.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Hidden location spoilers below.

So I've cleared out the Necropolis Vault with about 2300 kills from my pimped-out A7 laser rifle. With about 4000 bionic power, UPS CBM, a metabolic interchange and ample food it was pretty tedious and uneventful work. I can't find any obvious high-end rewards though, just lots of low-end junk I already have huge amouts of at my homebase stash. The NPCs don't seem to have anything particular to say to me either. Is there anything to make this worthwhile I should be looking out for, or did I just become king of the Cataclysm's biggest junkpile?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I'm returning to Cataclysm after many years, my last game was 0.C I think.

So there is a new Exodite faction. Does everybody else just rob these guys when the bots aren't looking, or is it just me?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

DoubleNegative posted:

Sky Island's git hasn't been updated in roughly 3 months. So there's a pretty good chance that it's not updated for 0.G yet.

EDIT:

Yeah, if you can find the last working experimental before the 0.G update, it should work with that.

I'd like to try the Sky islands mod. Any idea where I can find the older experimental builds?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Every single build is on their github here

Thanks, I haven't quite got the hang of GitHub yet. I think it's this one here from about two and a half months ago, but I'm not sure if it's the right one.
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/tree/cdda-experimental-2023-03-01-2354

It should download as "Cataclysm-DDA-cdda-experimental-2023-03-01-2354.zip" while the 0.G release for me is "cdda-windows-tiles-sounds-x64-2023-03-01-0054.zip".

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
How big is the reality bubble. Is it the 60 tiles in every direction that you can see, or does it extend further than that?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Is there any clear logic that governs when enemies will cross z-levels to chase the player? I haven't seen any consistency, it seems random.

What exactly is the lore that feral and deranged humans somehow don't get attacked by zombies?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Tactical micromanagement in this game is utterly infuriating to me, because the exact movement of zombies is so hard to predict. They give chase in a straight line when I least want them to, but the stragglers lag behind and to the side then are very resistant to baiting. I spend more time tentatively baiting the last few stragglers than I do on the majority of the group. They are also difficult to bait into the exact tile that I want them to go into. They often circle around the tile I'm trying to bait them into. I can't see their remaining action points so I can't predict how many tiles they will move next turn; zero, one or sometimes two. When trying to kite with reach attacks I can't tell if they will catch up to me or not after I make the attack.

I've just lost so many savegames due to tactical incompetence but I don't see any clear way to resolve these problems and improve my performance. So, how the gently caress do I do this?

Currently I'm focused on clearing out the upper level of the Mall by baiting the zombies in the open areas into falling over the railings and down onto the ground floor, and then using fire traps on the ones locked inside the stores and back corridors. Works OK If I can survive long enough to get up there and then evade the horde near the stairs. I get wrecked as soon as I go into the narrow corridors or the backs of dark stores. Safe Mode is problematic because the zombies in the stores will trigger it constantly, but if I disable it then I walk into zombies in low visibility areas. I eventually get killed by the accumulated damage from tactical blunders, never lasted more than 2 days.

Night10194 posted:

They're fully infected and don't get attacked for the same reason the zombies don't attack one another. They just haven't 'died' yet.

So the lore is that they should be dying soon due to terminal infection? How does the evolution system treat them?

It'd be a fun way to end the game if a terminally infected player was ignored by the horde until they engaged in hostilities, a good opportunity to go out in a literal blaze of fiery glory.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 22, 2023

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So I've run out of wholesome food (meat/vegetables) and multivitamins a few weeks ago. My character has been eating candy since then, and is constantly very hungry and underweight. Is the constant hunger a result of vitamin deficiency, or is it more because I am consuming too few calories? I assumed that 3000 calories per day would be enough, but I get the message that even though my stomach is full I feel like I haven't eaten enough.

I've set up some solar panels and car batteries as a vehicle and connected it to the power grid in my base. However, I've found that the power grid will only draw power while the solar panels are in sunlight, and will not draw power from the charged batteries at night time. How do I make a power grid draw from car batteries and/or the small/medium batteries?

EDIT: I can get it to work if I install the olar panels and batteries as appliances. Is there no other way to let a grid draw power from a vehicles batteries?

Corsec fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 2, 2023

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Is there a way to view your character's current cardio fitness values, or the statistics for stamina growth? Can I only see it in terms of bars rather than statistics? Right now I can only see the athletics skills. About how much does the athletic skill cause stamina to increase?

I've recently set up 32 planters and they're growing vegetables. About how many planters should I have to satisfy vitamin requirements? I don't have access to fields because my home is on a mall rooftop. I'd like to use the planters to provide the dehydrated vegetables for pemmican.

I've found a bug where it seems like my character is placed one tile south of the central tile on the map. For example, when I hit ";" it examines one tile north of my character. Is this a known bug, is it gamebreaking?

What are the benefits of dissecting corpses to gain the anatomy proficiencies? I'm guessing damage bonuses.

If I hunt non-mutant animals, will that depopulate an area or will they respawn with the seasons? I noticed that sme nearby turkeys have spawned chicks. Should I only kill a few adult turkeys to keep their population levels sustainable?

What's the better ranged options for hunting smaller non-mutant animals? Crossbows, slingshots, bows or thrown weapons?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Thanks for the responses. I vaguely remember that in your mall let's play there was a way to view the storage space of furniture, or am I misremembering? I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to replace my cardboard box storage with display racks or wooden crates.

On the wiki, it says berries are the best crops. What I should plant to ensure that my pemmican has sufficient vitamins, assuming pemmican was the only thing that I am eating?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

You can use the advanced inventory screen that let's you transfer items between tiles around you. If you select a tile with storage space it will tell you how much it can hold. Bookcases and entertainment centers are the best common options at 2k iirc

Thanks. Now I know why I was running out of storage; cardboard boxes hold less volume than open space. Bookcases block light in my base, so I'll switch over to display racks instead.

worm girl posted:

Rose hips actually have a ton of vitamin C, which is your big bottleneck. You get iron from meat and you can make calcium tablets from bone meal, so roses are probably the best plant. Blackberries and raspberries have OK vitamin C levels too, but blueberries don't.

You can also get vitamin C from pine needle tea in a pinch, if for some reason fruit is unavailable. It never goes bad, so you can brew up a tank of it instead of boiling water and be set for a while.

So how much harder is winter/autumn going to be due to the reduction of available food sources? I'm not sure what is still going to be available. Like, for example, cattail seems like a good emergency food for starch. Will there be no cattails available in winter? Will there be less huntable non-mutant animals?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I'm sort of disturbed by the way that the devs have put a lot of effort into implementing friendly and tameable dog breeds, but have also made them the easiest and most abundant source of unmutated meat.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

playtime is over

*smokes a joint inside a cardboard pillow fort while relaxing on top of a hoard of money, gold and vibrators*

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I've discovered that there doesn't seem to be any seed-extracting recipes for lettuce, broccoli and cabbage. There are recipes for other vegetables and fruits, such as corn and strawberries. I don't understand why these particular veegtables would be omitted. Am I missing something here? Am I supposed to re-plant with the vegetables rather than with extracted seeds?

I've noticed that in my freezer, non-dehydrated food has it's name in grey, while dehydrated fruit has it's name in light blue. Does this tell me which foods have their spoilage rate reduced when frozen?

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

worm girl posted:

They do produce seeds when harvested from a field to simulate this, but Corsec wants to chop op grocery store produce in order to get new plants. Totally feasable, just not yet implemented.

I was able to get those particular green vegetable seeds from a mall store, so conceptually it seemed like seeds should exist at some point in the growing process, because otherwise how did the mall seeds come to exist.

As an aside, thanks for your LP, it is what got me playing CDDA again after 8 years, and I'm really enjoying the fortress defense aspect of a mall. I'm just worried about what happens when I finally meet an enemy that can break laminated glass and is immune to my checkerboards of nailboard traps.

Tin Tim posted:

Tbf natural light can be ignored very quickly. I mean there should be tons of phones/tablets from zombie corpses (will light up your tile if turned on) or headlamps and tons of batteries for them. Personally I just plaster most of my base with bookcases and get light through the aforementioned means. Eventually I cobble a seat to a frame and attach a flashlight with electronic controls and a fully charged large storage battery. Don't think I ever managed to deplete a large storage battery this way so it may as well be seen as infinite light.

I have my solar power set up with a battery recharger so I'm not worried about power any more. I only need the single tile of my crafting armchair to remain in light. It's purely for purely aesthetic reasons that I don't want shafts of shadow across the interior of my homebase.

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't feel guilty. They're alive because they ate their owners before they could rise as zombies.

I note that there aren't any feral or mutated dogs ingame. I haven't even seen any hostile ones. So, in the world of CDDA, all dogs are good dogs. They track and follow the player character sometimes, but I interpret that as begging for food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
I'm not familiar with the new buildings since I last played years ago. I'd like to setup a trap house inside a city to harvest corpse loot. I'd put nailboards all around the entrances and draw the hordes over them while hiding inside. Ideally I'd like a building that is as secure as possible, so stone/brick walls and doors made out of metal or laminated glass. I think that a fire station would be a good choice for this. Are there any other options that I should search for?