Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

This is an accurate representation of my current level of enjoyment.

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm gonna talk about downspouts for a moment. They are very important.

If you're being chased by a horde climb up a downspout, walk to the other side of the building and climb down. You've probably lost 2/3rds of your pursuers. Repeat another couple of times and you're free.

If you decide to melee a mob of zombies, stand on a downspout first. You start facing increasingly severe penalties once your stamina drops below about ||| , so when that happens climb onto the roof and have a breather. Climb down and keep chopping.

After reinstalling this game, I can't figure out how to climb down these things. Climbing up is no problem but it tells me I can't just do the opposite and climb down afterwards using the other caret.

It was funny the first few times basically hurling myself off roofs just to get back down to the ground, but eventually that got old (none of my characters did though :v:).

edit to add:
Also, I don't know how I was doing it before, but these days it seems impossible to avoid getting noticed by zombies. Even with the "Sound" indicator it's never clear how loud I'm being really, or else there's some other reason no matter what I'm doing I inevitably attract a swarm to whatever building I'm looting. I even tried "crouching" and moving around, but while that was better, it didn't actually change the end result. It just meant it took a bit longer for zombies to start breaking into whatever building to find me.

With houses there are usually curtains on the windows but a lot of the stores have just those big plate glass windows so if it's visually I'm attracting attention, I'm not sure what I can do about it.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Yeah the feral runners and the zombie dogs are in particular extremely large pieces of poo poo and take too long to kill in melee usually to deal with them quickly enough to get away before the slower crowd catches up.

It sucks for my PCs but especially so for any NPCs I recruit, they always end up getting swarmed and grabbed.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I still haven't figured out how to turn ovens on or whatever and have just resorted to making sloppy joes and what have you via an open fire that is (apparently anyway) just set on a stovetop.

ditto with the woodstoves in the cabins. I guess I should have gathered by the fact that they all start with a plank on the tile that fires don't exactly respect being contained, but you only burn down one two several cabins by accident before you figure that much out.

edit: the last one had a boomer in it too :corona: so silver linings and all

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 17, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Are you (e)xamining the stove tile to light it or are you (a)ctivating a lighter/matchbook/whatever and lighting the tile on fire? The second method is hazardous to your health and house.

(e)xamining the oven only gives the option of "get items" or "start a fire". The latter just uses a matchbook or a lighter to do it

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

(Shift)G to drag? Same thing to stop dragging too.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I did an effortpost upthread but yeah, Helicopter Crash is the best start. You’re bleeding but one of the zombie soldiers will have a first aid kit or a bag of hemostatic powder. You will get a couple more STANAGs and you might get lucky with an M249 with 100+ rounds.

The CRIT Automatic Rifleman starts with an M249 and holy poo poo is that so broken indeed.

Unless you're playing on freeform you do have to take a hefty amount of bad traits and have pretty lovely stats in exchange, which makes sense from a balancing perspective but from a realism/lore perspective, why would CRIT send the guy with a bad back, bad vision and a bad temper as well as schizophrenia and rigid table manners into a bad situation and THEN give that guy the squad automatic weapon? :v:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

They're literally all over the place especially if you (U)nload any battery-using device you find (that isn't UPS) and isn't also already drained.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cataclysm: takes forever to defrost anything without a frying pan, but try to read and within minutes your character is simmering in dry roasted agony

early spring starts suck rear end too

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm not having the heat troubles you guys are, I've run my brazier and wood stove and done stuff a few tiles away without melting.

[edit] Tested it a bit and it appears the reason I'm not having trouble is because I'm keeping the garage open, when I close the doors I'm overheating within ~4-6 tiles of the wood stove wearing modest clothing (no jacket). So, uh, I guess, put your fires outside or near a door or something?

putting fires outside isn't really an option when the average temperature is around 34F which it is at least weeks into spring.

If you aren't burning poo poo in an enclosed area you're risking frostbite unless you're going to encumber yourself to the point that firearms and only firearms are viable forms of defense.

if you ditch the heavy clothes and take off in the car and happen to get trapped overnight hiding in some local former-business, welp be prepared to lose a couple fingers and toes.

Like no joke, all the liquids are perma-frozen through the first 2 months of spring. Any ingredients you find need to be defrosted or you can't cook more than toast-ums and maybe hot dogs, or a sloppy joe and you get lucky on a warm(er) day. Spend less than an hour in your room with a woodstove and it goes from cozy to a sweatbox though.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I was some kind of dumbass and decided to set my worldgen to day 0, so the first day of spring. It sucks rear end and I can't imagine what a full winter into spring would be like.

Unrelated, but can anyone make the "Overrun" scenario work? I can't without a massively overpowered starting PC. There's just.. too many things and even if you don't bother loading up you can't get past the turrets. And if you try to take out the turrets you get mobbed by literally one hundred military zombies. If the answers is something along the lines of shooting down Z-levels, I haven't yet figured out how, if at all, that's possible, since the most natural possible thing is to find ammo and a roof and start thinning the herd.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

My mood stays high from stylish and being blinged out. Just because its the apocalypse is no excuse to not be fly AF

stylin' on em :frogc00l: :slick: :snoop:

side_burned posted:

What tile set are you using?

I want to give Cataclysm a try and a good tile set helps me a lot when getting into a rougelike.

Looks like UNDEAD_PEOPLE if it's the same one I use

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Oh hey I just discovered that the books I have that teach computers beyond 3 have a morale penalty that stacks while you read them. Very cool and fun

i mean, have you met any yospos posters before

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

What are the essentials for a mobile death mobile aside from composite armor and lots of spikes? Like, appliance wise. What covers the basics or better yet, anything you might need in terms of internals?

I'm thinking crafting wise, I mean, not like "pres butan to go" wise

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I'm currently in the process of clearing out a medium town and it's rather weird how many random animals are running around inside of house and such. Like I bust my way into a fully sealed house and when I pop into the small bedroom three baby chicks and a goose hang out in there. Things along this line have happened enough times for me to take notice. I can understand the random animals in the streets but inside of closed houses it's a bit ridiculous

I found a family of giant albino penguins in the basement of a random house not too long ago. Scared the poo poo out of me because with all the noise they were making I thought this otherwise bare basement was chock full of dead assholes.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I want deathmobile designs, I poached an almost pristine atomic SUV and with just enough components for military composite armor I made the whole front bumper into a milcomposite ram and plated the front half. also installed an RV kitchen thing and a minifridge, plus a bed by removing all of the three seats in the second row.

Currently looking for more components for military composite plates but with the ram alone I've cleared out nearly a whole city. There's far, far more than enough scrap metal to weld together into a heavy duty frame for the rear as well, which helps because with electric motors inertia in reverse is almost as important as inertia for forward motion as far as zombie crushing is concerned.

And THEN, I found two military vehicles, both with intact turret mounts, one with a Mk19 and the other with an M240, and holy mother gently caress I torched an entire office tower of zombies with the combination. Unfortunately ammo is scarce and I'm not sure how to make new grenade belts/7.62 ammo belts which is apparently what I need to reload them with--even if I could find the 40mm grenades for the latter to start.

So anyway, I need some ideas because making a death bus is kinda 0.3 and I'm all about highly mobile indestructible micro murdermachines atm. What should I be planning for outside of the above? :getin:

E: I also found a couple solar panels which I installed so that I could let the reactor sit for a bit, also put in a 60L tank for clean water and a faucet I hacked together out of some poo poo, so free drinks.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

if I was gonna do ghosts they'd be there all the time but only solid and visible in darkness. But they'd be there during the daylight, blindly, invisibly and intangibly floating through stuff and existing... Would be kinda fun using your headlights to protect yourself while you raid a house or whatever or seeing them visible in the darkness of a building knowing that the whole place is gonna be fully uninhabitable at sundown.

This legitimately sounds like some cool as fuckery mod of some I am legend poo poo that needs to happen

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Hell, it's already MO to scout around sundown and loot at night, unless you want to be in running gun battles that only end when your limbs, bandaged ripped and torn thrice over, are finally ripped from you entirely as your last breath is "gently caress, that milsurp store was not a good target."

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I have a serious love hate relationship with the vehicles in this game. The first custom build I wanted to unveil to my hordes of admirers outside my fortified garage ended up with me Austin Powers'ing the thing until I could finally unjam it from the winch (:confused:) which by that time I had already destroyed most of my piles of construction materials. :shrug: eh it's a process.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Inglonias posted:

Every so often this game has a major game changer update that also happens to break a lot of things.

It just happened again

Nested containers means that you can drop stuff into a backpack, take the backpack off, and that stuff doesn't spill all over the ground. It means you can unload and consolidate glass jars of jam, sugar, or flour. It means you can make a bag for your essentials in case you need to GTFO of wherever you are right now, and pick it up really fast.

But right now it also means that trying to drop a cellphone makes you take your pants off instead.

I would advise against updating to the latest experimental for a little bit. Stick to 0.E stable for now.

This loving owns and I can't wait for the stable release, volume storage was such a weird abstraction

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Leal posted:

Man I've been there.

code:
Expected result:
Cellphone moved

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Looking forward to it, bags being bags and not abstract volume holders is one of the best things about Project Zomboid.

That had its own.. quirks, let's say (bags within bags) but I have a hunch given the systems already in place in CDDA that it will work out much more smoothly and in line with the overall motif, I guess I'll say, of everything else here.

I also like PZ don't get me wrong, but it's development cycle was like a carbon copy of this game just accelerated about 24x, which led to some hilarious poo poo happening.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Someone posted about that on the last page, and people did up effort post responses iirc

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Thanks for the responses, sounds like it mostly got its poo poo together.

I can't find such a post.

Ms Adequate posted:

Hate to make such a low quality post but I haven't played CDDA in about three years and suddenly I'm feeling the itch, is there a quick overview anywhere of stuff that's changed? I looked at the latest release log and there's a lot there, but I've obviously missed quite a bit before that as well.

I'm not normally averse to diving in to roguelikes and finding out the proper hard way, but I'm here to get hype for new poo poo and also try not to get caught out by old habits that might now be fatal rather than helpful.

Leal posted:

Before getting hooked again I took a haitus about that long, off the top of my head since I last played they:

Add a metric fuckload of professions but who cares when unwilling mutant lab escape start is right there
Speaking of labs, there are now research labs which are like regular labs but the top floor is like a campus with multiple floors.
Zone function has been added, so you can mark a spot as unsorted, then mark a place you want your food in, your ammo, etc and you can hit shift + O to organize your junk.
... Or you can get your NPC buddies to do it, who also have a ton of new functions added to them.
Now you can properly packmule them and trade out gear without needing to barter for it.
You can also talk to your NPC friends for a mood bonus
You can use zones to set up blueprints and have an NPC build the thing
You can give books to NPCs to read and gain skills
Refugee center has a bunch of quests
Wanderer spawns isn't so rear end
Sadly mutations are still aaaaaaasssssssss
Bionics requires finding an autodoc to install CBMs
Hunger system is changed to be calories based and food needs time to digest and its really loving weird and you'll be going through 4 MREs a day wondering why your survivor is anorexic
Oh and you need your vitamins. Don't rely on supplements cause that'll give you a disease
Loot has been greatly increased so you should be able to find useful stuff like tools more easily
A bunch of different buildings
Freezer unit for vehicles

There may have been a couple other responses with other misc info as well

fake edit: actually I do think I misread your original post, apologies

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Carcer posted:

I found an aluminium baseball bat somewhere and I think it'll probably carry me until I find an actual mace or sword or something. The most important thing about it is that it does ok damage against armoured enemies, so zombie soldiers and swat zombies can be dispatched with some ease.

I think, if I'm remembering right, the aluminum bat is at least a lot better than many of the crafted weapons; it's among the best of the non-exotic melee weapons.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Motherfucker posted:

I'm totally imagining a coat made out of a patchwork of leather pants, boots and misc fetishwear.

probably lookin' like an anime antagonist.

The Lone Badger posted:

Is that why they look like they're wearing 30 belts?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Wolfechu posted:

Moose used to be incredibly arbitrary, but apparently nowadays they're only seriously aggressive during mating season in the fall.

Ants are kind of a special case, in that the workers will generally leave you alone, unless you make any kind of loud noise, at which point they go berserk. I have no idea what counts as a loud noise, and do my best to not find out.

If they're acid ants, I generally just nope the gently caress out and find a different area of map to explore, because they're going to get you killed one way or another.

one time a boomer apparently pissed off a hive with a lot of acid ants. Looting a house on the outskirts of a city when I heard and then spotted a boomer, as well as a gaggle of zombies, which I really did not want to have to deal with, so I dipped and took what I had back to the car. There were ants near by that I spotted on the way in, but they were just workers, I think I didn't spot all of them though.

I'm not sure about the details because I hosed off shortly after hearing the boom but when I came back the next day, acid was everywhere on the grass and various surfaces and there was a pitched battle going between the remaining zombies of all types in a large-ish city and a nearby hive which had apparently decided that they were some kind of threat

I really don't know why or how this happened, or even that it was possible to begin with; but the aftermath was something to behold. a couple houses were half melted and there were puddles of acid EVERYWHERE.

unlike eyebots, zombies can and will attack, and hurt, ants;

also unlike eyebots, the hive has some kind of intelligence. I think the hole was two? three? grid squares away from the outskirts of the city, so I can't explain why there was still a pitched melee going on otherwise 24 hours later. It was close enough for workers and a couple soldiers to come close enough in the first place I guess? I'm just not sure it would have happened if I hadn't aggroed the boomer in the first place, even if I didn't realize I had aggroed it until I started to flee in the first place.

e: clarity

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 14, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Qubee posted:

I really want to get into this game, can anyone point me in the right direction on how to get set up with a tileset? And any worthwhile beginner guides, or should I just throw myself in and figure it out along the way?

The above post is good and it's real easy to install mods and tilesets. I actually have the game living on my desktop because it's just a matter of unzipping folders into obvious places if you want tilesets, mods whatever.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Imo just use vanilla but maybe add in Aftershock, just nothing else. Ppl might have differing opinions but it's the crazy random poo poo I've associated with the game from when I first touched it before it became an official mod extra. Aftershock comes with the base game so don't bother looking for it.

Make sure you don't bother with the wiki either except for reference material (e.g keybindings and shortcuts), it's horrifically outdated otherwise

Plus the tileset, because ASCII in 2020 is an affectation rather than a feature :colbert:

Edit: if you're on windows you probably want the last one (the x64 one)

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 18, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

That last part reminds me, one time I found a robotic tractor at a farm I had just cleared out. The description seemed to indicate that it would automatically plant and harvest crops but there wasn't any explanation of how to use it. I was still kinda excited to mess with it, until I found out the robot-brain thing that was supposed to control it was the only broken part on an otherwise mostly pristine vehicle. :(

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

PiCroft posted:

I don't know if it's part of a mod or in base game, but I've noticed a bunch of robot related stuff like AI cores from disassembled robots and android arm/leg items now. I've not found any recipes or ways of using them.

I've never tried the remote control vehicle stuff as honestly I've never found a reason to use it and it always struck me as vaguely dangerous - having an AI controlled vehicle especially, considering how janky NPC behaviour and pathfinding can be, strikes me as a pretty surefire way to get :killdozer:

It's probably Aftershock content but yeah, could be in the main game now too, who knows.

I did notice that there was a starting character background that was like "Automation Technician" or something similar, which had you start with like 4 electronics and a "remote control device." I might fire this up and gen one just to see if you can remote-hack poo poo like robot street cleaners and stuff and :killdozer: some zombies for fun.

e: it's "Drone Operator" and one of the bionics you start with is a toggled "Remote Controller". and it's 2 computers you start with, not 4 electronics.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 18, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I found a weird gap in the gamut of tools. I was looking forever for something with a "drilling quality" of at least one, never found poo poo. Went on the CDDA crafting site and apparently only 5 items have this attribute; one of them being the cordless drill--which I have seen before, but hadn't been able to find one of at all despite searching two small towns with garages, hardware stores, etc.--and two other things that were bionics (which this guy doesn't have obviously). The last two (apart from the bionics) were these things:

http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/makeshift_hand_drill
http://cdda-trunk.chezzo.com/hand_drill

Now, despite these saying they were "autolearned" recipes, my guy with fab 3 didn't know the makeshift version, and I went so far as to cheat in every single fabrication related skill book just to see if I was right that this seemed to not exist. No book had either of these two recipes; and furthermore, not one of the AIO (all in one) things like the survivor tool belt, etc. had any kind of drilling quality.

Given that you need this to do, among other things, making a decent knife spear and some advanced carpentry poo poo, this seems really dumb. IRL I can improvise a simple manual drill with a screw/piece of scrap metal plus a nail or something, a reasonably thick stick and some twine or string (assuming it's a wood drill anyway) and this isn't meant to brag because that's almost trivial for anyone the least bit outdoorsy--on par with the fire drill, or the same thing mechanically, essentially.

It's actually easier in the game to scrape together a homemade arc welder than it is to make a simple manual drill that works via friction and torsion.

I'm hoping that I'm just missing something enormously obvious because the alternative is that I blew about four hours chasing some dumb rear end tool before I finally said gently caress it and cheated it in like I probably should have done. :negative:

edit: Tin Tim had a really cool and helpful post about preserving and I'm bookmarking it, thank you :tipshat:

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 18, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I wasn't aware that it was craftable in the first place.

e: oh fab 4 and electronics 3, plus a bunch of poo poo that would have been a lot harder to get the poo poo to craft it in the first place, just for a knife spear. Yeah that's pretty unworkable.

That's weird though, did I miss something on Chezzo marking those hand drills as not in stable?

e2: gently caress, I guess that was the problem. Somehow I was browsing cdda.chezzo in the experimental version when I was playing stable. gently caress. :suicide:

still dumb as gently caress to have the cordless be fab 4 but the manual version be fab 5, and you need a forge for the latter on top of it.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 18, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

Eh, I can KIND of get the logic behind it. Cordless drill is putting a bunch of preexisting parts together, hand drill is making it entirely from scratch.

:confused::confused::confused:

there's no way you could more easily put together the former than the latter*. also, you're essentially making both from scratch.

*this is the type of thing I imagine the game means by "hand drill" based on the forging requirement, but it's not the easiest much less the only way to make a manual drill at all, even with poo poo materials.

Tin Tim posted:

I'm half convinced that it was done this way out of spite for players making a beeline for the knife spear and ignoring all other makeshift weapons :tinfoil:

yeah I got this exact impression lol. I don't keep up on this game a lot but I'd have to guess at some point knife spears were considered "overpowered"? which is real stupid to try and balance when you can literally start this game burned, addicted to drugs and on fire in a burning building in a post-apocalyptic setting that makes it make perfect sense to strap a loving kitchen knife to a broomstick just to have something better than sharp sticks to poke things with.

also obligatory bc mention of sharp sticks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xj24Gdxds

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 19, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I've actually ignored alternative preservation methods like canning/vacuum sealing in the post so I may add a few words about that sometime this week

this would be really helpful too, I've never lasted long enough (lol :v:) to gently caress around with having to can or seal poo poo, since the longest I've gone is a month in-game before I did something stupid.

knowing this stuff might make me try a hermit in the wilderness type start, I think there's something like that in the scenarios that always intrigued me.

Maybe I'll even worldgen with those fuckoff far away city settings like that other poster was dealing with to really make it into a cabin in the woods type scenario with a schizophrenic who's addicted to meth or something really stupid like that on top of it all.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

megane posted:

There's one notable exception, the screwdriver; it used to be like this, but at some point they added a recipe to let you bodge one together.

this by the way, is REALLY loving STUPID because check out what a screwdriver--just one screwdriver--can do:

first off, if you have a hammer (which you need to make your scrap metal screwdriver anyway), you can deconstruct any furniture in the entire game. now, how that happens differently than just pounding away at the sofa with a halligan bar until its unrecognizable is a thought exercise left up to the reader.

you can (with rebar, and nails), install bars onto any window that more than doubles its resistance to physical impacts. there is no component of joinery or fasteners necessary here, no sir. you see, the wood cudgel I have here works in tandem with the screwdriver to politely ask these bars to secure themselves with the nails provided.

just using a screwdriver with nails in general with anything (lol? its something that goes into hole, must work same way as nail :shrug:) makes no loving sense at all. trust me, i've spent more than five minutes thinking about how the gently caress I just crafted a wood furnace out of a water heater and a hacksaw with no wrench or anything more sophisticated than a multitool.

this game is full of these magical contradictions, and as much as I make fun of it I still love it. :allears:

it really would help if your makeshift screwdriver even just applied a time penalty, but no, you can just beat this:

into this (it even specifies phillips head in the description):

with this

in your hyper-realistic game where you have to monitor your vitamin levels to avoid getting hypocalcemic and not eat too much soylent or your tummy feels funny. It's all just too great.

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 19, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

HiroProtagonist posted:

It's probably Aftershock content but yeah, could be in the main game now too, who knows.

I did notice that there was a starting character background that was like "Automation Technician" or something similar, which had you start with like 4 electronics and a "remote control device." I might fire this up and gen one just to see if you can remote-hack poo poo like robot street cleaners and stuff and :killdozer: some zombies for fun.

e: it's "Drone Operator" and one of the bionics you start with is a toggled "Remote Controller". and it's 2 computers you start with, not 4 electronics.

I got an opportunity to mess around with drone control and it kinda... sucks, to put it mildly.

The range on it is pathetic, like around 25 or 30 tiles (after which you just lose connection) and while the power consumption at least isn't stupid and you're able to run the remote controller bionic for a good amount of time, it really is pointless for the full range on it be less than the typical aggro distance of zombies.

While controlling, say, an automatic street sweeper or something, you are locked in place and easy meat. And while I avoided it (narrowly, on one occasion), it's entirely possible to run yourself over with the robotic vehicle you're bionically possessing while you're stock-still like Professor X using the cyber brain computer.

I didn't suicide this guy yet so one of the other things I want to try out is whether it can control turrets--although the aforementioned lovely range most likely means you're going to be plugged full of 7.62 long before you can get close enough, although even so it may still be helpful in some kind of confined space like a lab, assuming remote controlling turrets is possible at all. I haven't run across any yet (labs or turrets), so that's what I'm waiting on.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Qubee posted:

Completely new question: is there a wounds screen or anything? I got into a fight with a zombie (I was mistakenly smashing the floor until I realized it's a roguelike and I'm meant to bump into them to attack) and it bit me a few times. I have no idea if this is a death sentence or not, but I applied bandages to the bite marks nonetheless. Is the only info I get in terms of health status / wounds the bars to the right for my arms, legs and torso?
Unless you have the "self aware" trait, all you see is those green-to-red bars, and if you do have "self aware" you just get actual numbers instead. Getting bit isn't a death sentence, and bandages (ideally disinfectant too) are all you need for things to naturally heal on their own. Not 100% sure but it seems to me healing is faster when you're sleeping, but I'm not sure how much and I don't think wounds that aren't bandaged heal much if at all.

The exception is a "deep bite/wound/whatever" which can kill you if you let it develop into a full on infection but that takes 24 hours of going untreated and you'll see if you have one. All you need to fix it thought is some kind of disinfectant or antiseptic (or, if you like pain, cauterizing it with something hot like a soldering iron).

Qubee posted:

Also, what's the button to wait for an extended period of time, keybindings says its l and I cannot for the life of me figure out what that is, I've tried I, l, | no bueno.

Hit "enter" and it's under Misc (#7): Wait for a length of time > wait until you catch your breath (or some other length of time)

Qubee posted:

Oh and whenever I craft stuff, it just puts a crafting sticker on the floor and I have to tediously pick it up and activate it to finish crafting it. Surely there's a faster way of churning out tonnes of lockpicks?

You might have something in your hands, put anything in your hands away somewhere and try to craft at a countertop or a table or some kind of surface. Making a crafting spot isn't necessary either, but it doesn't sound like you're doing that, just mentioning it.

Also, in the crafting screen, you can (b)atch stuff so you don't have to repeat it one at a time.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Does anyone know the exacts mechanics behind how shocker zombie damage works? Like they're doing a ton of damage in a very short amount of time to me and so far I don't think that there is any defense against that except for armor suits that are specifically meant to counter electricty. Seems like I have to carry a rifle in my shopping cart to deal with them in daylight because getting hit by their range makes me too weak to use my bow

not sure about mechanics but i'm pretty sure that's how everyone handles them. You can also use a high caliber revolver or similar handgun if shockers are pretty much the only thing you need a shootin' iron for. That being said I think an M4 weighs almost the same so you might as well just bring the rifle unless you really prefer holsters to shoulder slings (I do, personally).

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Rockopolis posted:

How does the steel chain stack up as a weapon? I'm guessing it uses Bashing skill, but the stunning and bonus unarmed followup attack seem intriguing.

its slow as gently caress which is the balance. I haven't messed with it too much but if you have to deal with more than one or two at a time it's a losing proposition, in that limited experience.

It kills poo poo real nice 1v1 or even 1v2 though.

Tin Tim posted:

Finally over that dumb mood penalty :dance:

Also I've started to look into reloading ammo and the description for mixed powder says that you need to be desperate to reload with it. Does it actually have any negative effects or is it just flavor text?

wait am I just oblivious? does the mood penalty go away once you execute enough kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Cataclysm: It's subtle but the game does slowly make you more and more uncaring.