Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

A new thread or an updated OP would be much appreciated. Recently downloaded this and a post from 2013 in the OP or a running debate over firearms and nutrition updates at this end of the thread isn't the most helpful introduction to the game.

After a bunch of flopped starts I rolled an eskrima based martial artist with crazy strength and finally made it out of the original city. Things were going great until something called a chicken walker rounded the corner to investigate the sound of zombie clobbering. Somehow I forgot that fences don't break sight lines, and moments later my character was blown up by a laser guided missile or something. Are EMP grenades worth trying or is this something to run from until I can hit a barn door with a rifle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

EMP grenades are highly effective but no longer craftable. I wouldn't mess with anything that has a gun until you're well armoured and able to take it out within 1 action, 2 at most.

I must have downloaded an older version as I can still make them I think.

I'm just beginning to mess with the vehicle stuff and quite happy with that aspect of the game once the various skills/tools hoops were jumped through. But some of these roads the game generates between cities and towns are a mess.

I want to build The Leveller from the Ferngully movie:

Clear-cutting two lane roads through the forest and generating enough lumber for one of those NPC camps. Is this even close to feasible, or are deathmobiles limited to sawing through zombies?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also iirc chicken walkers loving explode when they die - like, seriously blow the gently caress up, in a way that makes exploding turrets look like soggy firecrackers - so if you blunder into one at close range and can't lose it by escaping into a forest/the alleys/the dark of night, you're pretty much gonna die and that's that on that :rip:

Good tip!

Maarak fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 22, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

What's the deal with eyebots? Are they snitching on me to more hostile robots or is the surveillance stuff just flavor?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

One real suggestion in the name of realism and two lies.
  • Strings and ropes in inventory should work themselves into intractable knots that take ages to separate if you want to craft with them.
  • Rolling tires! Pop them off a vehicle and roll them towards your Mad Max machine's trunk, or into a horde of zombies as a distraction.
  • Working with any sort of wire, but barbed wire especially, should require special gloves to prevent puncture wounds to your character's hands.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Do craters on the map usually correspond with a lab relatively close by?

Still playing in the 0.D version if it counts.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

How do vehicles work with respect to z-levels? I found a multilevel parking garage with several pristine vehicles, but aside from busting up the concrete walls and driving the cars over the edge, I can't figure out how to get them down.

Similarly, having something larger than a folding bike to explore all these subway linked labs (maybe I just got lucky but so far ever lab on this world gen has been connected to others with rail links like some huge anthill beneath the cities and towns above). Having something a little faster to escape the kevlar hulks would be grand.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

If I attach a sword bayonet to an AR-15 or something and use it to block a ton, does the rifle take damage or the bayonet?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Is there a way to read the data from military black boxes or are they just for flavor?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Are you playing the experimental? Because in the stable release it isn't and still comes from mechanics+dex and encumbrance

Another way is to build around seven wooden frames and use them to build a one-tile vehicle each. Needs a lot of planks and nails though since you need mech 2 to remove the frame again

Also my new books sadly didn't do much for me. Went back into the police station with a heavy sledge to get into the sealed rooms. Got rewarded with two mp5s and around 100 rounds of ammo plus a bit of .223 and some misc stuff. Also found a rocket for the rpg-7 for some reason. I've left some electronic gun safes behind because I still have zero in computers and I'd rather not smash them with the sledge. There are a few interesting stores left in the town next to me so I'll try to loot those but then I think I have to move and scout the next town for a librabry/bookstore to seriously advance my position

Don't neglect doctor's offices. Sometimes (at least in the 0.D release) they'll have autodocs and CBMs in similarly sealed rooms. Even the ones that don't are usually stocked with some otherwise rare meds or gear.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

You could build a vehicle in the subways if you wanted to.

I tried this and there wasn't any way to place the finished vehicle on the tracks or the build it on the rail to begin with. Similar issues with derailments. At least in the stable release.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

What a difference clearing a few labs makes. Uncanny dodge and hydraulic muscles CBMs with a lucerne hammer makes even the worst hulk manageable.

I slipped up and pulped an armored zombie that I needed to use a mind splicer on for a quest though; is there any way to debug my way through the quest from Hub 01?

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Caidin posted:

I thought you need to use a special corpse for that, it should be around the wreckage somewhere. It's not a zombie.

If it's still relevant you need to use the mind splicer on a dessicated corpse. The debug menu can spawn one.

Oh wow, thanks! I tried to use it with the corpse in my inventory and it didn't work. Needed to be standing over the body apparently.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Having rescued a bunch of people imprisoned by Mi-Gos, is there any easier way to give NPCs clothing than piece by piece via the dialog menu? And I thought the military screen from Dwarf Fortress was bad.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/silky_throat/status/1258892175879913474?s=21

A retired mobile base.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Palcontent posted:

If you're just 'overweight' it means nothing. It's difficult to go farther unless you started that way, in which case its a challenge I've never attempted.

What about for friendly NPCs? Keeping the faction camp's larder stocked (I think this is the cause at least) has resulted in the six former prisoners of the Mi-Go becoming morbidly obese in about half a season.

I feel like I'll need to craft those chairs from Wall-E at this rate.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

I've actually ignored alternative preservation methods like canning/vacuum sealing in the post so I may add a few words about that sometime this week

From what I can tell (only halfway into Fall on my current/longest running game), canned goods make the most sense as a way of enabling recipes to better round out nutrition and morale; the indefinite shelf life is just a bonus. Dehydrated foods stuck in a minifridge or a minifreezer will almost assuredly have a later expiration date than the character crafting them. Plus there are so many MREs to be looted from zombie soldiers.

The vacuum sealer I haven't used as much as it requires empty plastic bags and I spent months of in-game time melting those down into plastic chunks instead of saving them.

edit. Now that it's much easier to just find entire toolboxes in subway stations and garages, why not have them spawn occasionally in the back of pick up trucks and such too?

Maarak fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 19, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Oh joy, these guys look fun.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Marenghi posted:

Lot of posts here since I last checked. Was there some major improvements or has it just become more popular since Covid-19?

I had a look on the subreddit to see if anything new going on. Saw someone ask why game changes such as removing solar powered laser turrets can be justified by "these are absurd". And the developer who approved it replied what's unclear, they are absurd and don't follow the laws of physics.

So I'm guessing the development is still being lead by pedants who claim it's all for realism.

Per the in game lore pre-cataclysm researchers had access to computers that dipped into alternate dimensions/timelines/??? to return predictive results. Certainly it's easier to write up some new tidbit about hyper efficient solar laser turrets than to keep messing with balance and playability.

edit. Unless loot in Malls got much better in the flip from 0.d to 0.e, it's probably not worthy the trouble of clearing vs exploring more to find a lab.

Maarak fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 25, 2020

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Going by the official design document players aren't even supposed to acquire welding tools until late summer or so.

quote:

Mid-to-late summer to winter, year 1

Key Events:

* Return of focus to food security as winter comes closer and survivor needs to work hard on stockpiling
    * Most other key resources now well stocked - ammo, clothing, armor. Survivor has likely managed to make some deep forays into a few towns, loot a mansion or the upper levels of a Lab.
    * Although the player isnít equipped to install CBMs or develop higher level mutagens they probably have access to the components now, and can start projects to get them on the go over the winter. Likewise for fancier gear and equipment that isnít available readily from raids.
    * Decreasing focus on wide ranging travel in favor of developing base defenses
    * May at this point have achieved welding tools
    * Probably has electricity and a secure water supply at home base.

Emphasis mine. That CBM line makes me groan too.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

I hope some enterprising person will extract a fun and un-gatekept Mad Max game from this at some point. Like an unholy marriage of a Gmod server and dwarf fortress.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Be very careful about automated turrets and NPC passengers. Turret IFF only seems to care about the player character in my experience, leading to many faction camp allies roasted by the onboard laser.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Tbf I can see grenades being stopped by anything in the path of the throw as a limitation of the engine or maybe as a fault in how the targeting system was coded. You also can't aim your gun at targets behind a chainlink fence despite guns being able to clearly blow through that :shrug:

Afaik those towers are still WIP and don't really function as they are envisioned to.

You can combat the heat by building a mobile cooling vehicle that you drag around with you. But you have to construct a new one for each floor since you can't drag up/down. The prisoners are sorta broken I think and I've not seen any post on the net that has managed to get them out of there

Spoilers for Mi-Go prisoner rescue: A sonic resonator CBM will break apart the resin cage wall material after a few applications. Supposedly explosives work too, but I have yet to try that out of fear it'll kill the prisoners too.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Not as good a move as stuffing the labs with more turrets that only shoot that caseless ammo that can't be repackaged. And making them explode on death.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

Is there a special trick to smashing acid zombies without hurting yourself? Seems like fire doesn't work very well, and shooting them from a distance seems like a waste of ammo.

Assuming you've already got a cutting tool, use the advanced inventory tool to move the acid zombie corpse to a square without an acid pool then chose the dismember option from the butchering menu. Nearly as fast as smashing but without the splashback.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Cataclysm: Dark Souls Edition sounds like a blast. Throwing your character into combat with abandon knowing that a campfire guarantees another run at a challenge? Killing Hulks and gasoline boomers with high agility spear and dodge tactics?

We should be so lucky to get a dev team on this that cares about fun through gameplay.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

Making a boat seems like such a good idea until you get one operational and find yourself trapped between two bridges 100% of the time

Maybe there should be more low lying infrastructure for deathmobiles to crash into...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBLH8qvaIFg

Maarak
May 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Maybe my memory is bugged then? Could swear there was something but whatever :v:

I was just about to write off FEMA camps as a waste of time outside of nabbing a flamethrower but then I found a rivtech battle rifle in the armory and some autoclave pouches in the central structure. Chances for drops as those are hard to resist tbh

At some point I think there were solar powered laser turrets encountered randomly in roadblocks instead of lasers being tucked away in labs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

I have discovered the joys of mounted archery. I took the front storage basket off of my looting bike to allow me better firing angles for my crossbow and I've been tearing poo poo up. Any aiming penalties are basically nothing when you can just precise aim a zombie and reload bolts while moving. It's such a fun way to fight.

How good are melee weapons from a moving vehicle? I really like the idea of using a spear with those 2 tile reach attacks to mix things up. Would Sojutsu work on a bike?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RB3DoJRoYc#t=9s