Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

How the hell do you even play this, I pretty much die instantly to the first zombie I see. If I get a weapon, I die to the second one.

Also the OP was last updated 3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Is there a recommended starting build for new players now? I'm betting the one in the op is out of date.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I played this years and years ago before vehicles were added and there were only a handful of jobs. I picked it up again, grabbed a list of mods from some post in this thread, and this thing is goddamn punishing and I no longer have any idea what I'm doing.

I tried a couple of standard starts with evacuee survivors with high strength and fleet footed, light step, and night vision and died horribly to random things every time. Well, if I'm having trouble getting geared up, I thought, I'll try the start where you're all cybered up but have a cranial bomb and at least maybe go a day or so without dying. I was killed by a dragon in the woods so that didn't work out. I don't even know if that's from the magic mod or just something the game has now.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Just take everything. All the mutations.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Slaapaav posted:

ive woken up next to juggernauts enough times that im never sleeping in basements again.

Same but irl

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Do zombies spawn infinitely, absent a portal? Is it possible to completely clear a town or will it just always be full of dead assholes?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

Yeah I found a laser LMG somewhere or other and mounted it on my van and it basically destroys anything it sees with perfect accuracy.

The only way anything is a threat is if it's indoors and away from windows, or if I'm between the van and whatever it had decided to annihilate in which case it will happily murder me too.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

I get that this is pretty much a sandbox game, but is there anything to actually do once you're an unstoppable mutant cyborg wizard dual-wielding .50 cal machine guns?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

What, in vague less-spoilery terms, is the win condition in BN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

My biggest problem is that there's just nothing to do in this game after a certain point. Like, I can keep looting labs and getting progressively more badass, but to what end? Once I can loot one lab I can more or less loot them all already, becoming a cyber mutant wizard god isn't going to do much. I've tried most of the challenge starts but they're pretty much just "leave this dangerous place without dying" and then you're just playing the regular game with more points.

This game would benefit a lot from some Terreria style boss fights and some dynamic changes in the world, like if you clear a whole city NPCs start showing up there and rebuilding, letting you gradually restore power and water to the area if you clear a public works, stuff like that. Have wandering hordes move through the world so you can build and fortify a base and have something to defend it from, and a reason to recruit NPCs would be good too. It's just so close to being something really incredible but the focus is on realistically stimulating how much pocket lint a zombie generates per turn. It's very frustrating.