Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

:catstare:

Literally first thing I find after exiting the shelter (besides the location of a semi with a nice, warm bed) on my first ever character. Let's just hope I can survive long enough to get a backpack and a safe spot for my other crap and get back to loot this poor sucker. I don't know anything about the game yet but I know b, e, f and j gave me a raging, thrashing erection. The other stuff looks like it could be extremely useful, too.

e: guy across the road had a backpack, and a bottle of water :toot:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Cardiovorax posted:

"Concussive grenades" are actually HE rounds, I don't know what's up with that naming scheme. Great for when you definitely, absolutely need to get through that wall right the gently caress now.

Huh. Even better, I suppose. By the way, is it possible to play this in full screen mode at all? The tiny, tiny game window is really hard on the eyes after a while.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
^^^^ Sweet, thanks. Bit finicky to work with but I guess it's better than being limited to a certain range of resolutions.

So I looted the gently caress out of a science lab last night. These things are so much fun. Ended up with some kind of psychic antennae and insect wings from all the mutagens I found, and the rest of me was something like 10% human, 40% bandage and 50% bullets from all the turrets I blindly stumbled into. The sweet release of death came from a security bot that jumped me after a botched attempt to play solitaire on one of the computer terminals. Shame, I had like 2 weeks worth of water, enough bandages to build a fort out of them, all kinds of technical doodads and gadgets and about 4 MacGuyver seasons worth of duct tape. Not to mention tons of backpacks, cargo pants and fanny packs for all my poo poo. I guess it was worth it just to scout the place and figuring out what I'm gonna need for next time.

Definitely going back inside with my next character, after a bit of preparation (backpacks, crowbar, flashlight, batteries, food etc). Found the ID cards right outside the shelter and made a beeline for the lab right away, so I was stumbling around in the dark for hours before finding a flashlight, and died with no kills somehow even though I took out a handful of Zeds on the first level. Even lit one on fire in a stupid attempt to get some primitive lighting going. Is there any way to fix the broken generators down there? I don't even care if they end up activating a fuckload of security bots or something, it was kind of disappointing to just leave them there since, you know, science lab full of electronics and strange machinery.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 14, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

No, but you should be able to find a flashlight fairly easily or at least enough batteries to power one into the next century.

Yeah lights aren't really the issue (after realizing I should bring my own flashlight and batteries anyway), even though it would be nice to just light up the whole place, I was just hoping they could activate some cool :science: junk. Oh well, maybe something will be added in the future.

VVVVV I'm actually trying to hoard up some mutagens, partially due to FNV. Didn't know about picking regular NV at the start though, I don't think I even noticed it on the list. Makes sense to skip ahead one step in the chain though, obviously.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Aug 14, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Can vehicles you find in the wild contain loot? I keep stomping all over every other car I see, worried I'll miss out on some sweet treasure but I'm not sure I'm doing it right. I've tried opening the trunk on a few of them but either that can't be done or I'm too stupid to figure it out.

Also, does putting water into a container retain the original purity or lack thereof? I filled a canteen and about a dozen bottles from a gas station toilet before realizing that's what it was, and I guess dum-dum forgot to flush. Later on I'm chugging toilet water (it's not marked as such) and eating potato chips by the pounds like a true goon and one of these is making me sick. I guess it's probably the water, but I figured a dedicated diet of starch, salt and trans fat doesn't exactly promote good health either.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 15, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Inadequately posted:

I'm pretty sure vehicles spawn with nothing in their trunks. If there's something in a trunk, examining it with 'e' or pressing the pickup button while standing on the trunk will show all items in the trunk. You can just drop items on the trunk square and they'll be automatically packed.

Also, regardless of water source, it'll be marked as 'water' when you fill containers with it. You need to purify it into clean water to make it safe to drink. All food fills you up the same way regardless, it's perfectly fine to subsist on nothing but candy and potato chips indefinitely. Just don't eat tainted or rotten food.

Ah, that explains why you end up with both water and clean water, I guess. Thanks!

In other news, turns out walking into a hospital and carving up all the dead doctors and patients like thanksgiving turkeys is a great way to get some quick skill points :gibs:

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Aug 15, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Health is a real (invisible) thing and is impacted by bad eating/drinking/drug habits - it affects how likely you are to catch a cold or the flu, and both are nasty multi-day affairs that will hurt your stats a fair bit. However, a gas mask or a couple filter masks will about completely neuter bad health effects since ambient diseases still have to be breathed in. You can also eat vitamins to raise your health, but trying to manage it isn't worth the hassle when you can just cheese it. I think candy and potato chips probably only give -1 health at worst anyway, and health does swing to 0 over time.

e: It should be mentioned that the gas/filter masks are purely preventative, they'll do no good if you're already sick. Same for the vitamins, sadly (no immune system simulation here).

As mentioned, ordinary water won't cut it for safe and penalty-less drinking, only clean water works. Containers will not let you mix the two (or any other differing-in-kind liquid for that matter), so do take some care when crafting liquids that you always have a spare or matching container in mind beforehand, else you could find yourself forced to waste some of it.

That's good to know about the masks. I always keep one handy in case of stuff.

By the way, can I import maps between DDA/GDA? I played DDA for a while and then tried out GDA which turned out to be vastly superior, but the DDA map I had was awesome while the one I got on GDA didn't really start with much of anything fun on it. Figured it out!

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 15, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Drake_263 posted:

It always pays to make yourself a filter mask - it needs almost no skills to build one and you only need a couple of rags and plastic bags or a plastic bottle to make one. A filter mask will make you all but immune to smoke inhalation - say, like, from the smoke cloud surrounding a smoker zombie. Those fuckers have the skeleton's 'a shot might whizz through without hitting anything important' thing (besides the concealment from the smoke) so your only options, at least in early game, tend to be melee - and while the smoker's unlikely to kill you, the persistent damage-cough from the smoke can and will if you're left with low torso hp.

So THAT's what those things are. I always stayed the gently caress out of their way because holy poo poo giant cloud of smoke and SWEET JESUS IT'S FOLLOWING ME!

Last night was an interesting few tries. Built my guys as spergy, asthmatic, mentally unstable nerds starting out with like 18 intelligence, lv 3 computer skill and android/genetics in preparation for the science lab but the fates wanted otherwise. First guy goes straight to the edge of town to start looting houses in search of equipment and food, is immediately seen by a horde of Zs, Zdogs and LightningZs around the corner of the first house. So we run like gently caress to a nearby hotel in the outskirts and carefully work out our differences face to facecrowbar. Attracted a whole lot of attention from surrounding zombies and various wildlife, so I just decided to hole up in a room down the hall and scavenge the place until morning. Unfortunately there wasn't much to grab besides a few books and a bunch of clothes, so I end up with +3 levels to tailoring, all while hallucinating my balls off due to schizophrenia. Eventually the sun starts coming up so I break down the boards on the windows and then a moose ate my head :v:

Next guy, same build, decides to just camp out in the shelter for a few days while he VERY carefully grabs the stuff he needs. I disassemble the benches and counters, and set up some crude barricades in and around the shelter while making my camp in the basement, as the outside has a bit of a giant ant problem. For two days it's going pretty well, I've got a steady supply of ant meat, I'm cleaning a lot of water and getting some decent, and eventually reinforced, gear together. Then I decide I want to build a bed. It's also really loving cold and my firewood consumption is a bit too high already so I head to town to grab some warm clothes and a blanket for a bed. I pass the first couple of houses which I already cleaned out, and see a large horde of zombies up ahead, and giant ants down south, with the house I want sandwiched in between. I'm pretty fast though, and slightly sneaky, so I decide to just zip across the alley and oh god did that one see me? I think that one saw me. Better take a peek around the corner.

..loving LEG IT!

Long story short I was eventually chased down by angry zDogs, who managed to slow me down enough for the rest of the horde to catch up with me.

Third guy, slightly revised build as the hallucinations were getting annoying. Found a fully working motorcycle with 7% gas left in it, took it for a joyride and managed to crash it into a LMOE shelter. Found a shotgun, and a bunch of non-shotgun ammo, along with a massive stockpile of... cat food? Got food poisoning drinking out of the indoor waterhole as I didn't have anything to boil it in, stumbled into the woods in the middle of the night in search of clean water where I got attacked by and killed a moose who messed up my head pretty badly.Immediately afterwards I came across a zombie hulk who chased me for miles. During the chase I ran into an NPC who wanted me to kill something that was eating people and zombies in the woods. Figuring I could get the two to duke it out while I watched and ate painkillers, I accept and ask for some equipment. She hands me a quiver of arrows, and advices me to bring a shotgun :cripes:

Eventually I find the beast, turns out it's a Jabberwocky. Goodie gumdrops. The two become bffs and take turns stomping chunks of me into the ground :fuckoff:

My last attempt I decide to do some exploring. I find a pile of scientist corpses, 4 CBMs (nothing spectacular, but still cool) and some mutagens. They're surrounded by Fungal zombies and regular spore dudes, however, so I just grab the bionics and leg it. They chase me to a FEMA camp, where I slow them down in a barbed wire fence before realizing we're being cheered on by the entire camp of about ~50 regular zombies.

What follows is a mad chase around benches, corpse pits and barbed wire that would make Scooby Doo look dignified. I'm VERY slowly whittling them down, but I can see a Zombie Soldier locked up in a truck or a shed or something, and I figure it's only a matter of time before he gets out and joins in, and nighttime is drawing ever closer.

Then, for the first time this entire evening, I remember that Android comes with a pair of free bionics installed :doh:

Metabolic Interchange
Chain Lightning

:science:

By nightfall I've consumed 4 entire pizzas, 4 bags of chips, 2 bottles of ketchup, a jar of pasta sauce and 4 cans of soda, along with a handful of tramadol, aspirin and adderall. The entire camp lies in a smoldering ruin. I've got an infected wound and my left arm is broken from a manhack who decided to join the fun, and I've barricaded myself inside the only intact building feeling like the biggest, craziest, lightning bolt making GBS threads badass (barely) alive. I don't feel like sticking around though, as they've got a hulk locked up in a glass cage in the same room, and I'm all out of medicine, bandages, food and water, I'm starving from all the lightning spam and my pain is well over 200, so I make for the highway in search of a town. It's pitch black out, and after about 3 hours of dragging my tattered remains down the road I am set upon by no less than 3 angry, hungry cougars who finally manage to finish me off. This loving game :black101:

e: And then there was the guy who came across a military bunker with a bunch of corpses outside with full army gear+armor, 3 LAWs and a stick of dynamite. Blew up 2 of the turrets with LAW but missed the last one, so I zigzag through a couple of conveniently placed trees, set up some cover via a nearby smoke grenade, got in range for the dynamite, lit it and.. FORE, MOTHERFUCKER!
5 turns pass, nothing happens. What? Okay something must be wrong but this thing is still taking shots at me and even with a helmet and 2 layers of kevlar I won't last long out here in the open. I charge it through the smoke, get up in it's face, pull out my crowb*ker-BLAMMM*
V:shobon:V Live and learn, I guess

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 16, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Just lost my best character by far down in the science lab, to asthma of all things. I had my inhaler, I just wasn't aware that I was having an attack :sigh:

I thought asthma attacks were supposed to lower your stats? Nothing of the sort was going on before I died. I feel a bit cheated but I guess that's roguelikes. I think I'll drop the trait entirely from my next character, it's really loving annoying to have to use the inhaler several times every time I try to sleep.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Is there a stat besides limb health that kills you if it gets too low? My guy just died in what should have been an effortless fight, my lowest limb was torso (3 bars), I had 18 in krav maga and bionics and mutations out the rear end, all boosting melee combat. Suddenly I'm dead for apparently no reason. No diseases or anything like that, and while I don't remember what I was fighting, it was at best a cougar or similar. Come to think of it I had lost my chest armor, but still, is the torso just that vulnerable if it's not covered in armor?

Also what's up with the bionics that let you eat batteries or organic material for power? Trying to consume either crashes the game for me every time (GDA).

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 19, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

It's a bug with the version GDA was built on, and was fixed earlier this month.

Ah, so if I'm reading this right it will be fixed (for GDA) in the next GDA release? Or did I miss the link to a working one somewhere?

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

GlyphGryph posted:

Since in my opinion everyone was absolutely right over the last couple of weeks about to decouple archery from crafting arrows, I did that and got it merged in (Inadequately mentioned this already). Of course it was mostly to continue having an excuse to put off doing the melee combat overhaul I'm supposed to be working on. Do you think archery is any less OP now that you can't master it by cutting up pieces of wood, or does it just make it more grindy?

Also, got any more suggestions for smallish things like that I can use as an excuse to continue shirking my actual coding responsibilities?

Would you mind taking a look at spiderwebs? I crashed the first and only time I stepped on one, and since then I've tried to at least keep my distance, but it does kind of seem like the game crashes more often when I'm within FOV of one. Might be coincidence but I have a theory that something about creatures, NPCs and/or PCs stepping in them can crash the game.

Also, if it's possible, my wrists would very much appreciate an option to continuously craft an item until you have X amount of it, and maybe also one to just craft as many as you have materials for. Making a decent supply of metal arrows or large containers of liquids, for example, takes a lot of pointless button mashing. If I'm making bone broth, I'd prefer to just fill up the entire gallon jug with a single trip to the crafting menu.

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 20, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Drake_263 posted:

Pressing - makes you craft the last item you built, assuming you have the materials. Still need to designate a container for fluids, but oughta save you some button presses when making ammo and stuff.

REALLY wish I had found out about this before I made ELEVEN HUNDRED metal arrows last night. :shepicide:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Drake_263 posted:

Also ditto on the spiderwebs, I accidentally stepped into one and crashed. Also have had the game crash a couple of times with just webs nearby - might have had another creature wander into them, I'm not sure.

It's getting so bad that I have to immediately save and run away if I find one. It's almost a guaranteed crash to even have it on the screen for me. :sigh: Torching them helps, as long as I can get in there to light them up and get out of sight again before it crashes. I've taken to constantly saving if I'm just running near forests as well, which takes some time when your save file is up to 40000.

e: I'm thinking of taking on the amigara encounter. I only have 10 int though, no mental protection (although I haven't found the fault yet so who knows what I might stumble across) but I do have a large supply of molotovs, grenades, dynamite, manhacks, turrets, tear gas, c4, 22+ archery skill with a flex recurve and a nightmarish assortment of beast/bird/lizard mutations and several bionics. Oh, and enough of every drug to knock out James Brown. Do I stand even the slightest chance?

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 26, 2013

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Anticheese posted:

The GDA stuff seems to have been merged into the main DDA branch, including brewing.

For those of us who are dumb, does this mean the GDA is now up to date with the latest DDA? Also, did anyone figure out why spiderwebs were crashing the game? That basically drove me away from the game but this is one of the few things I can actually run for the next couple of days :(

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs

Spaceking posted:

First zombie I encountered in 0.8 was wearing a gimp mask.

The mental image alone is terrifying, but thinking about it, that doesn't sound very threatening at all :v: