Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Did they up the base difficulty? It seems like every zombie soldier is now a kevlar zombie and every lab is full of endless waves of kevlar hulks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Eating whenever you are hungry now seems to just lead to you being overweight after a couple days. I've only been eating one "meal" per day and just keeping myself full by chugging water the rest of the time.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah they really seem to be in a "changing poo poo just because" phase right now. Maybe it's always been like that though, I only started just playing at the Danny release.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Did I accidentally toggle something or did they mess with the circumstances in which you can Tab to auto-target with ranged attacks? It seems to only work if they're almost right next to me now.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know now, but they used to spawn endless waves of riot bots that I'd run over with my car for parts.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Did they fix it so everything is no longer hinging on finding a hacksaw?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Can you not just dig holes randomly anywhere and find clay anymore?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

IIRC they also flagged mods that still work but hadn't been updated in a while as obsolete for reasoning of no longer being maintained. They are all still in the game files and you can edit the json to allow them.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

A single M2 is all you really need, regular zombies get 1 tapped and half of them get gibbed and hulks are 2-3 shots.

They took away easy access to auto-fire though, it's a high end electric module now because of course it is.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

The best way to fight zombies is to never get hit in the first place. Make a spike on a stick and kite them. Polearms with reach attacks are generally the best way for a new player to start as they are very low risk.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

The biggest hurdle I had with driving was that I was alternating between holding down the gas and the brake. When you get over your instinct to hold down the "go forwards" button it suddenly makes sense.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

It's actually better if your failure rate is that high, you'll gain tons of skill while making it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Tin Tim posted:

Could use a few tips about how to cook without destroying yourself. Like I have a stove that was in the kitchem of my house and the fire stays in place which is nice. But every time I cook something that takes longer my guy overheats real hard and gets hosed up by that. Do I really have to strip down to my boxers because fire is such a clusterfuck in the game?

Make a hobo stove and use that for cooking instead. Much more fuel efficient, no cooking yourself/burning your house down on accident.

Everyone asking "how do I weapon" questions: the answer is spears with reach attacks. You don't need to wear armor if you never get hit.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah... you can kill the game any time you are about to die and you generally get a little bit of a do-over. Also, back up your save files every few hours in case you do something really dumb. This game can be too buggy at times and has too many ways to instantly kill you for me to iron man it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Carcer posted:

Doesn't this lead to the aforementioned 'round corner-> "DROP YOUR WEAPON" -> obliterated 0.0005 seconds later by 30 headshots' or are these npcs not aggressive? I started a game without them but if they aren't going to murder me every other step I'd like to give them ago.

I think that is the rare scenario that sticks out. Almost all of my encounters with hostile NPCs have given them melee weapons and I'm the one that shoots them in the head before they even get close.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Welding glasses are actually pretty easy to make these days, for once realism helps more than hurts and they let you duct tape the lenses from 3 pairs of sunglasses to the front of some swim goggles.

I just started a new game because I wanted to try Dark Skies Above (note- don't yet. Good concept, but not enough content to play over a normal game yet), and I ran into a near death spiral because I was playing with fast metabolism. I wasn't paying attention and worked through the night on a craft, which combined with not eating for so long instantly tanked my health to the point I immediately caught the flu. Because the flu causes vomiting, I couldn't keep any food down, which meant I couldn't eat, which I think lowered my health even more. I had the flu for 2 weeks in game. The only way I was able to get out of the death spiral was basically chugging pine needle tea for a week, puking most of it back up. So... yeah, fast metabolism may not be an auto-take for free points anymore.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

New thing I need to try- tiny death mobile towing a mobile home that I can drop outside town.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Seriously, though, one of these days I need to do a "Innawoods" survival game of Cataclysm with the city spawns set to zilch and start out naked and alone or something dumb like that. Treat it like its Unreal World or something.

I've done this. Fun, but keeping warm is pretty trivial. What kills you is that without shelter you get the wet morale malus any time it rains and get so depressed your character refuses to do anything.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Isn't there also a perk you can take at chargen that modifies the wet penalty? Outdoorsman IIRC, but I haven't looked at any recent versions.

I mean yeah, but that totally negates all the challenge of doing a no-city game.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Do cellphones in this game even have a use beyond their batteries?

Waiting for the realism update that makes cellphone batteries non-removable.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Carcer posted:

I'm frankly surprised they haven't come up with a system were the more patchwork an item is the less effective it is, like a survivor duster made out of a real duster is as good as advertised, but a survivor duster made out of pieces of scrap is 50% as sturdy and defensive.

I actually wouldn't mind a system where this was the case. Right now gear and fabrication/tailoring grind is pretty trivial once you know how it works, and this could give you a reason to actualyl hunt animals for their fur and hides.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

The game takes place in rural New England. There are more guns than people in the US. If they wanted to be realistic every third house would have at least one gun and several hundred rounds of ammo, every farm would have welding equipment, and there would be a LOT more food in every pantry. They don't want to be realistic, it's an excuse.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Pretty sure Kevin said going to the bathroom is hardline never going to be added.

This is obviously because having poop and pee as free reagents would make the game too easy.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

I can't imagine it not forking if they take out vehicle construction. Somebody will step up, right? ... Right?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

It's kind of funny - so many things are (thankfully) sped up so that one in-game day represents more than one "real" day of needs for the survivor, but then you get poo poo like this.

See, I don't think that is their intention at all. Nothing is supposed to be sped up to represent more than one real day. If any of the Devs ever actually sit down and try to sew something IRL the game will become uplayable.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

CDDA was my play at work game because it didn't require an install and doesn't look like a game. Haven't really played it since I went work from home. Can't help but wonder if this thread went dead because it was the same for everyone else.

Arven fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 6, 2020

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

So you're telling me that my hunting technique of hitting things with my car isn't the best way to go?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's a lot harder to make with the new proficiencies system. If you haven't mastered the arts of advanced polymer sewing, garment closures, fabric waterproofing, and leatherworking, then it will take literal weeks of solid labor. Compounded with the new exhaustion system, it is not something you can finish in 5 days after starting the game like it was before.

I've been playing Bright Nights for most of the year, so I honestly cannot tell if you're kidding.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

I tried out the most recent build just to see how bad it was, and Christ this is awful. Is it even possible to survive an infection without extensive treatment anymore? I had antibiotics and gamma globin and I still died.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is a free game developed by amateurs so I'm not going to criticize TOO much, but I have to wonder about the type of person who thinks end-game content isn't important but pocket simulation, vitamin deficiencies, and (horribly) simulated weight gain are all necessary and cool.

To them if you make it to the endgame it means that they aren't doing their job correctly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Did people have issues with those? I'd run in, light the bench closest to the door on fire, close the door, and wait until they were all cooked.