Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

No, I'm fine with Soldier being more than Scoundrel, it's mostly both costing less than Otaku is what I'm confused about. It is in the highest cost tier of professions, which is super weird for an RP profession. It should cost the same as Tailor in my opinion.

Otaku should start with a katana (that breaks in five hits because it's a mail-order POS.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a good list of what actions various skills are used for and what are good ways to raise them? The wiki skills page isn't that helpful, it really need a page on each skill.

Very stupid question: How do I loot a cupboard or pick stuff up off a table? I've been resorting to smashing them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 20, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Akoogly Eyes posted:

[e]xamine the square the cupboard/table/whatever is on and you get a list of items in it.

Edit: Ah 'e'xamining things is different to just looking at them.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Dec 20, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to Fit a backpack/rucksack? Wiki says yes, but I only seem to Reinforce them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do I need to Wield my knife each time I want to butcher a corpse, or is just carrying it enough?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for the help so far. Hope people don't mind me asking so many newbie questions

Now this seems kinda broken. It may be the Animal Empathy but this area is swarming with giant ants none of which are hostile unless I start beating their head in - even if I start a fight none of the others will join in. And they each drop 4 lumps of meat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

With Marksmanship 3 and Archery 3 I'm still missing over 80% of the time with my crossbow. Are ranged weapons really this ineffective?
My quarterstaff is *drastically* more effective, I haven't run into any situations I can't bash my way out of yet.
(Thinking of making a lajatang but it seems to be a major speed hit for a marginal damage increase)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

randombattle posted:

Well your skills are only good if you aren't over encumbered or have massive penalties. It's easy to get upto like -8 to shooting skills with a few pieces of clothing.

I've got one point of arms encumberance, which I think is just -1? No eyes encumberance anymore, and hands encumberance says it affects throwing weapons.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

nftyw posted:

Presuming things are mostly unchanged since 0.9, any melee weapon starts becoming a meat grinder, especially if you can block with them, once you get your fighting and dodging skills up. You dodge most of the attacks, block a bunch of the ones that do get through and the rest usually bounces off your clothes and armor.

That's where I'm at at the moment. I'm just wondering if it's even worth trying to get ranged-weapon backup.
(I've got some guns, but 60 shells won't go far if only ten of them hit)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is it possible to use a vehicle battery to charge / run tools? I'm running through my battery stockpile way too fast using this welder.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 22, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OK, the answer was that crossbows incredibly suck. With an accurate weapon (pneumatic assault rifle) I can hit stuff at close range.

It kinda sucks that Cold Blooded only takes account of external temperature - I can be both slowed down by cold and taking a hit for being too hot.

Edit: Did the acid rain dissolve my gallon jugs? I left them outside under some funnels, and now they're gone.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 22, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

If you left it on a concrete surface, the acid rain may have spawned an acid puddle on the tile, which will melt anything on it. Best to leave funnels on dirt or grass.

Ah, OK. How do I get the funnels back after placing them?

Edit: I guess I should probably park my car on dirt too?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 22, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm getting soaked/burned by rain even when inside a vehicle with a roof. Is that supposed to happen?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sick trigger posted:

are the doors open?

That makes sense!

Do version upgrades break saves?

Edit: I think melee may be overpowered. I got woken from sleep by a Zombear trying to eat me, found I'd forgotten my weapon somewhere, and beat it to death with my bare hands without taking damage beyond the bite that woke me.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 23, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the 'craft from items in containers' thing in yet? I remember it being discussed a while ago, but I can't craft with things in my car storage, even if I'm standing on it.

Also, is there a way to turn an MBR vest with plates/superalloy/etc into an MBR vest (empty)? I have recipes for the other way around, but I can't find a way to take the plates out (so I can get at the delicious kevlar).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inadequately posted:

If you want kevlar you can just cut it up, though.
Unfortunately not.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Inadequately posted:

Really? Could have sworn I cut one up the other time. Maybe they took that out of the latest experimental. Shall download it later and check.

E: Yeah, just tried the latest version. Applying a knife to any MBR vest except a ceramic one will get you 24 kevlar plates, even the empty one and the kevlar-plated one.

Ah, just ceramic you can't then. Thanks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Gah, even the longbow is book-locked now. I guess I'll try to kill zombies with a slingshot?

(Is there a mod out there that changes a lot of the recipes back to autolearn?)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

The intent is to replace it with more alternative ways to discover recipes - right now you can get recipes through books and disassembling, and we'd like to have additional ways to do it as well. Straight up unbooking is probably unlikely, but introducing an alternative way to get the recipe that doesn't require books is probably quite likely to get in if its halfway decent (from my understanding of the whole situation)

I grok this, but I think they've gone waaay too far with the booking. It takes away from the self-sufficiency aspect of crafting - instead of being able to set myself a goal (gather the skill and materials to make X) I have to rely on luck. Stumble across a bow or stumble across a book with bow instructions - it's luck, not something I can work towards.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The booking seems to have been much improved. A lot of recipes can be learned from a book at skill X, but will be autolearned at a higher level if you missed it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anticheese posted:

What's happening in the experimental builds at the moment? Has the book-ifying been toned down?

Crafting from containers is in (yay!)
Booking has been toned down a bit as far as I can tell. I have autolearned some recipes that I later found in a book - either you autolearn some book recipes once your skill gets sufficiently high, or some stuff was unbooked.
Mutation is getting a significant overhaul. There's a bunch of new mutant species, and now if you mutate too far in a category you hit 'threshold' and are locked into that category forever (but can get post-threshold mutations).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doug Lombardi posted:

How do you get locked into it?

Mutate a lot in a specific category and you can get pushed over the threshold (may require serum). You get a special mutation called threshold - X which cannot be removed with Purifier. Somewhat confusing explanation in this thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Waldo's is the best at the moment, in my opinion.
Raga's would be good too but it's got too many #s for me at the moment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

How difficult of a modding job would it be to remove all the zombies from the game? I like vanilla Cataclysm, but sometimes I get the urge to just explore and build while only worrying about food and not crashing my car, and maybe wild animals. I know it would be incredibly easy since I could just walk through a town with no worries, but it might serve as a fun camping simulator or something dumb like that. Or at least a good way to learn how to do some of the more advanced stuff that I typically die before encountering.

Easy. When creating a world, set spawn to 'static' and set spawn scaling factor to '0.0'. Wildlife etc still spawns (as it always uses dynamic spawn, which is unaffected by scaling factor) but zombies try to static spawn and don't.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Is it better to disassemble furniture than to smash it? Do I do the disassembly through the construction menu?
Disassembly takes time but gets you more materials and less wreckage. Done through the construction menu, requires hammer + screwdriver.

quote:

Speaking of reinforcement, is there a reference for how much abuse different kinds of constructable walls can take? Is it done by material or is it unique to different sorts like wooden fence vs wall vs palisade?
Unique per item I think. I would recommend smashing out the glass walls and replacing them with wooden walls.
To do serious construction you'll need a ton of nails and 2x4s.
* For the nails, pick a house you don't like and set fire to it. Wait around the general area until the fire burns out, then wander over the rubble picking up nails (set your autopickup to make this easy), you should get thousands from one house.
* For the 2x4s, get your Construction up to about 2 or 3 by reading books or digging holes, then chop a tree down with an axe and chop the fallen tree into planks. Use a wheelbarrow to transport the wood to where you need it, it's too bulky to carry.

quote:

Also what tileset do you all use, if any? The default one seems to have a lot of 'no' symbols for missing things it seems and Im not sure if its a problem on my end.
I use Colleen's. I think that has to be installed, it's not in the base yet.

BTW are you using Stable or Experimental? Advice varies based on that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'll do you one better: Decide to crack open a reinforced vending machine using dynamite, throw the wrong stick.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A recent change that I really like is that all armor values were recently halved. Combined with the 'no Survivor equipment' core-mod it's actually possible to take damage now.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

The combat animations (HP bars and such) are really neat too.

Muh? Not sure what you mean here.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ah. I play with tiles, so I haven't seen it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

I've found a house with a sweet above-ground shelter area with metal doors and haven't had any random NPCs wander in, though I would always get one after another if I tried to setup a base in a basement or LMOE shelter (or even a random cave in the middle of nowhere). Wish you could just command them to not pickup any items, so you could actually have friendly NPCs in your base.
A suggestion I made on the official forums

quote:

Craftable head-on-a-pike
Crafted from named corpse + wooden spear. Can be placed.
When placed no survivors will spawn within 3 map tiles. Any non-hostile survivor that would approach within three map tiles will either turn around and move at least ten map tiles away (80% chance) or become hostile (20% chance).
Major Speech penalty while you are within 10 map tiles of it.

(Basically a way to give fair warning that anyone who thinks they can wander into my shelter and start filching my loot is going to get an arrow in the face.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The old system also had a pecularity where it supported 'ground level' and various degrees of 'below ground'. It was impossible to be higher than ground level, hence no multistory buildings.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spaceking posted:

This thread seems to have changed since March. Have we reached the "I'll build my own videogame with blackjack and hookers!" part of watching game development yet?

Been and gone.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dareon posted:

Although that does raise my own question for anyone following development more closely: Is there any roadmap to the next stable release? Any projected date for a freeze on new features and just a concerted bugfixing push?

[quote author=Kevin Granade link=topic=5877.msg158178#msg158178 date=1404919081]
We're burning down the the list of bugs, I'd estimate 3-4 weeks from now.
[/quote]

Official boards are at http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Somewhat. You can absolutely get rid of all the zombies in a town and they won't come back.

This depends a bit on the spawn mode. In Static mode just kill all the zombies and they'll be dead. In Dynamic zombies will keep spawning, but if you kill enough of them (a lot) eventually the local spawn list will be depleted and you will have cleared the area out.
Zombie animals will keep spawning either way though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I use Retrodays because it's very complete and where it isn't it'll fall back to ASCII, rather than 'tile not found'. I'm not a big fan of the appearance, but the other sets have too many holes.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Robot Randy posted:

I was remembering how much fun it was to build a killdozer so I did a bit of digging and apparently Whales is working on a sequel. No idea how far along it is but here's his tumblr

If you're going to killdozer, you need this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Which crafting changes?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

A goon made a system where basically you could put crafting materials in containers like shelves and stuff, and actually use them for crafting - in fact the character could 'find' neatly shelved materials from further away. Just a little something to encourage people to actually build shelves and storage boxes and use them instead of heaping everything on the ground in a huge shitpile.

You can use tools and materials that are in containers, have been able to for a while.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Turtlicious posted:

You need 12 or 14 int to read the mutagen books.

You don't need need it, it just helps read them faster.

Strength 12 for the best bow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Does temperature affect the food decay rate in any way?

Yes. Try living in the top floor of an ice lab, staff your food downstairs.