Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do you still carry waterskins of lava around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I assume you gain proficiencies via random skillbook drops?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You csn hop to a new world.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Shouldn't you turn off swimming xp so it doesn't eat all your focus?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Last time I played I was living entirely on pine nuts.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You need links to make belts. The turrets used to drop several belts when destroyed, I wonder why it dropped loose ammo?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there a DARE officer on the dev team or something?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

If you're talking about the name change, it's probably a trademark thing. Adderall isn't a legally generic term like aspirin is. Might be they were concerned.

It was also because a drug apparently instantly stops being harmful and addictive if its 'prescription', versus those illegal drugs poor people take.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big big difference between a methhead and someone taking amphetamines to control ADHD is that the latter is taking small, precisely measured doses on a schedule. Using adderall recreationally will gently caress you up as much as using any other strong stimulant recreationally. It's about usage, not whether its one of the Approved Good Drugs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I went to download Bright Nights... and is there a Windows version? I see OSX, ARM and Linux versions at https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cataclysm-BN/releases/

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BN has an electrical grid system based on map-tile buildings. Currently all it can do is generate power using solar panels (generally on roofs), store it in batteries (usually in basements), then use it in furniture (stoves etc).

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Give me a 'velcro-like skin' mutation line.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mountain Lightning posted:

I gotta ask, is there a reason to use that NPC Survivor Camp option that I'm missing?

Because while it's nice to have the ability to automate some of the tedium of the game, it's less nice to spend several months building the place (and raiding a few lumber mills and home improvement stores to do so).

Time to add a stacking 'loneliness' debuff to morale if you spend too much time without nearby NPCs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My cars tend to be small because I can fit everything I want in a fairly small space and making the vehicle bigger just makes it harder to cross bridges.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Either build your vehicle to be the exact width of a bridge, make it able to turn into a boat, or make it able to fly. :colbert:

There are vehicles on bridges and a narrow vehicle can slalom through them much more easily.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In general always try to keep your stamina above 50%. If you have a choke point it can be worth just passing turns and waiting to catch your breath even with zeds trying to bite you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Reaching red stamina will also make enemies that had previously been nearly-harmless start devouring you alive. Which is why I advocated that even if you intend to keep fighting you should stand still for a minute or two then resume.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Human enemies are super durable compared to zeds.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I always like to turn spawn numbers down and toughness up to make each individual enemy more significant.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What happens if you say yes? Do you hit the bottom of the boat with a humorous 'thunk'?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can it be a duckboat with wheels and an engine?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A good way to make a start on clearing a town is to drive your battlewagon repeatedly over crowds of zombies while leaning on the horn.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Are turrets tied to the zombie evolution scaling too? I have yet to see anything above small turrets that drop 9mm in Bright Nights

Mainline got rid of the small turrets and all of them were packing 5.56. It got a bit ridiculous.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Xand_Man posted:

As like, a holdout pistol?

A grown-up's obrez.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Oh my god why have I never done this.

In the game or IRL?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Bright Nights still able to port in new changes from the main fork that they approve of, or have the codebases diverged too far for that to be possible without a lot of work?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ranged weapons are a special case. You spend time 'aiming' before firing in order to improve your chance of a hit. I can't remember the exact key commands any more but there are several shortcuts for how much to aim before firing. Critically, they are for 'how Stable to get before firing' not 'how many seconds to spend aiming'.
Being attacked in melee reduces your Stability.
So your character was attempting a sisyphean task of carefully drawing a bead on an enemy that was actively fighting them.
Again I can't remember the exact key commands, but if shooting at something in melee range you need to use the command that makes you fire immediately without aiming. Terrible accuracy, but it's the only way to successfully get a shot off.

tl;dr don't use a rifle against someone in melee with you

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

This is just a reminder that you can mount a .50 machinegun on a bicycle or wheelchair.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why not contribute to BN?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The problem with cameras is that your view range is very short. I sometimes use Opaque Doors as a windscreen so I can have them open when driving normally and close them to rely on cameras when going into cities.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dumb question, if I install a motor in a shopping cart (plus fuel tank and stuff) will that make it easier to push?

Add controls and drive it around. 1-tile vehicles are fine.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The zombies are because of The Blob. Leaks from the labs into the water supply means everyone has some Blob accumulated in them, and when they die it reanimates them.
The Blob also used to have various effects on its host to explain why you healed when you slept, mutated in response to radiation, etc. But some of those gameplay concepts have been changed since then.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The most involved\laborious set of quests is the refugee camp. You could consider completing it to he 'winning'.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Same but coring out a MBT and basically making a mobile house.

I tend to use an APC. Lighter and easier to find.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The only escape method I will accept is a deathmobile fast enough and heavy enough to smash through in one hit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Fire.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I usually start with an APC. Good sized (fits everything I need), already made of heavy frames and covered in armor.
Front driving seat, opaque wall (w/door) to the rear portion that has crafting tools, storage, and a bed.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 26, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The reason I have an internal wall is that I want my sleeping/crafting area to be fully opaque so a passing trash mob won't see me and start bashing the walls (won't damage them, but wakes me up / interrupts me)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Have a 1×1 crane vehicle, either folding or attached via bike carrier.

I built a 3-wide vehicle with everything I needed once, but it turned out that some of the crafting station side tiles weren't impassable and zombies could get on board while I was driving.