Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bows load and fire in the same motion, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hit 'e' to stop controlling my car? :confused:

Check your keybinds, you can change them up in the options I'm pretty sure.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Oh man. Garages have massive steel doors that can't be bashed down operated by winches.

I'm going to burn this town down around this garage and put a bunch of walls and landmines by the only other entrance.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

By the way, Power Armor should automatically regulate your temperature for you if you have it powered by a UPS.

I believe the Power Armor Interface implant will do the same, drawing power from your internal batteries.

Still it's summertime in my game and it's easier to just wear normal clothes for normal stuff and put the power armor on for raiding military bunkers and fungal spores and stuff like that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ya'll can be inferior meat if you want, my character is slowly transforming into a tree.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This game does suffer from the 'well... now what?' that Unreal World and a bunch of others suffer from.

Once you're established, nothing left to do. The winter having stronger beasts would be cool, but like the poster above me I'm usually already pretty insane by the time winter rolls around. I just got to winter on my latest game; full power armor, katana, longbow with a bunch of composite arrows, and a plethora of guns in my truck with tons of ammo for them, including cool energy weapons I got from labs. A ton of 40mm grenades, and a few packed LAWs.

I 'think' the answer lies in the NPCs. The missions they can give you are a good first step, but they should really get fleshed out more. If you could actually get people to join you, you could found a little village/fort or whatever. You could assign them to different jobs based on their skills, hunters, scavengers, look outs, etc. You can tell them to go with a partner or 3, or go solo, or whatever, give them equipment to use. If you've only got 1 guy scavenging off by himself, he stands a decent chance of getting killed but if there's 3 of them with katanas they'll do great. That kind of thing.

Have certain NPCs with special abilities unique to their NPC type. Doctors for example, can set and fix broken bones. Convince one to live with you and supply him with the right equipment and don't worry about navigating through a hospital with 2 broken legs again!

Some additional storyline around the quests would be nice, IE if you find enough lab research data you can start to piece together what happened a little bit better or something.

Adding in farming and the ability to make more complex construction out of concrete that can't get knocked down unless via explosives or high speed crashes - really expensive for building materials, other balancing like you can't totally wall yourself off 'tower defense rules' style - would give you something else to do to make it a more permanent shelter/town.

Then the factions in the game could be fleshed out and you could have meaningful relations with them. Piss off the group that lives in the same town as you, and now your clan and theirs fight whenever they see each other. They raid your compound at night to try and jack your stuff. Do you move, or wipe them out, or try to improve relations?

As the game progresses, groups of NPCs conglomerate together and it turns from survival/scavenging to a world rising out of the ashes of the old.

Then again this might be straying too much into a different genre.

Boats would be kind of cool, I don't really know how much use they'd be though.

Oh, a nice addition that would probably be a lot easier is some sort of power generation system (or hopefully a couple different choices - wind power fans on the roof, why not?). Hook up lights, floodlights, electric fences, that kind of thing. I'm kind of half-assing it by building a 'vehicle', slapping a headlight on pointing a direction I want lit, and turning it on and just leaving it like that.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 15, 2013

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cardiovorax posted:

Maybe they could ask toady for help.

"That all sounds fantastic, but I think before we get into the nitty gritty we *really* ought to examine the way smells permeate through the air and model fluid dynamics to simulate it better hmm?"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Galm posted:

Found a "Ring of Unspeakable Abyss" that makes me invisible, and makes me "Feel an evil presence" and "Otherworldly attention on me".
So I basically found the One Ring.

I don't know if you want to spoil yourself and look up the effects of those, but you pretty much did get the One Ring exactly. :golfclap:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WickedIcon posted:

"Stop ramming into houses" is not an option (gently caress roads I make my own goddamn roads :black101:)

So if I put like 3 layers of superalloy plating over the gas tank it wouldn't blow up?

Actually if the wiki is right superalloy plating is quite a bit weaker than steel plating. Hard plating is the best.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't like butchering them all the time, use weapons that involve lots of fire.

Fire purifies all things.

(That finger flamethrower bionic is great.)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

T-man posted:

So I have a stock car I'm working on. I found a electric motor and a battery (when I found my wonderful jack :toot:). The battery installed just fine, and I have a mechanics skill of 8 or so. Why can't I install my electric motor as a backup/stealth in-town engine?

Further dumb questions:
Where's a good place to find heating elements?
Where can I find CBMs besides shocker zombies? Labs are too deadly for me, even though I have a LOT of IDs. Is there a way to hack computers by using an ID/turn off the robots?
Where can I get solar panels for my car?
How do I boost my Cooking beyond what the textbook can tell me, fast?
Is there a way to slow down skill decay?
How do you guys organize your stuff, in houses?
Do solar powered motorcycles work good?
What's a good source of mutagens/mutations?
Why am I so full of dumb internet game questions?
(all on .05 vanilla)

Maybe it won't let you install two different types of engine? Try taking the conventional engine out and putting the electric one in.

CBMs can turn up on the bodies of scientists and soldiers randomly killed out in the world, I've also see them in bank vaults and places like that. Hospitals can have healing oriented CBMs, sites like public works or toxic waste dumps can have CBMs oriented around survival. As far as the labs go, molotov cocktails are your friend; the turrets pretty much die instantly. Just don't get shot up before you throw it.

There's a fair number of solar/electricity powered vehicles strewn about; salvage a panel off one of those. I've also see them at hardware stores I think? Maybe it was an electronics store.

Solar powered in general doesn't seem to work great for me; the panels either charge the battery way too slowly or not at all. Solar powered motorcycle might be fine; otherwise for bigger cars I'd stick with conventional engines (or minireactors).

I *think* skill decay is adjustable in the options in the main menu, I'm not sure if you have to start a new game for it to take effect though.

Anywhere with high radiation is a good source of mutation. Drink sewer water, hang out in the craters you find sometimes, I think a toxic waste dump I found had crazy levels of rads. Geiger counters are your friend.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 19, 2013

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

There should be reinforced glass or something. Even when you install hard plating over a windshield, it doesn't seem like it provides any meaningful protection from zombies breaking through.

I want to make a zombieproof car, but I'd also like to be able to see out of it, you know?

Yeah plating doesn't actually do anything to protect windshields. They've got the 'not affected by armor' tag.

What you can do though is find an artifact that lets you see through walls and then you won't need windshields! Alternatively you could replace your windshields with doors (not the opaque ones), I think plating will protect those and you can see through them.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately there was a fungal bloom tower thing right near my starting position.

Fortunately there was also a missile silo

Unfortunately (?) there was also a town nearby with several NPCs wandering about :getin:

Survive the zombie holocaust only to get nuked. What are the odds?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
As someone who usually can't play games with just ASCII graphics and no tileset, this game isn't that bad. You get used to it real quick. The symbols still manage to look like roads and buildings and whatever. There's games where everything is just completely incomprehensible until you no longer see the code (just blond, brunette, redhead...)

The only thing that sucks for me is that certain categories just get the same symbol and you can't just see what it is. For example, all guns are a red (.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, I'm a layman for sure, but I learned not to do that in Intro to C++ in high school. Also from any beginner book I picked up.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PiCroft posted:

Also, no offense to Jon but I'm thinking of putting the Furry Body mutations back in. It was a useful mutation and I disagree with its removal because furries (if that were the case we'd have to remove all mutations). Is this okay with people (Jon included)?

Are those the mutations that slowly turn you into an animal basically? Like the ones that slowly turn you into a plant?

I'm fine with that, the furry thing is pretty loving kneejerk at this point. Hur hur we hate furries, cool, don't prevent me from mutating into some sort of were-beast in a zombie video game because of it.

At least that's how I feel. Just don't, you know, mod in animal sex.

Mutations are cool.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Strumpie posted:

The way most people construct usable turrets is to block their vision with something like boards so they cannot fire at the vehicle itself or you. They're still of questionable value, but I do like mounting the flamethrower on the back of my vehicle to set fire to pursuers. In the ^ vehicle menu you can also set mounted turrets firing mode.

I find them useless for vehicles; they attract everything in a huge radius and then run out of ammo and/or blow you up.

What I like to do is to just build stationary turrets and either turn them on to clear an area or to defend my home base while I'm inside doing poo poo.

All you really need for a 'vehicle' is a seat and controls, just put a turret on there and viola, defensive tower.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is the biggest city/town I've seen so far (granted I probably have way less hours logged than some of you):

I nuked a fungal bloom there in the top right.

I found a garage and set up shop. The only way in or out is by the huge metal gate/door controlled by the lever which I'm reasonably sure can't be interacted with by monsters so it's a safe haven once I'm inside and has a lot of room to park my death mobile from which I drive out and pillage for days before bringing the choice loot home.

I'm eventually going to head north on that highway but I haven't even looted 1/5th of the town so far. Mostly just the houses on the bottom edge and a couple of the stores immediately next to the garage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The vehicle building is much improved, I'm having a blast rolling around with a motor home APC.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll post mine when I get home.

I found a military APC in good condition, fixed it up and added in some crafting stations and a bed and some floor storage. The windshield has a curtain (last time I played DDA I don't think you could do that!) and I have a dome light separate from my headlights.

I ripped out the engine and alternator and stuck in a large electric engine and some batteries.

Which leads me to a question: does the vehicle need to be 'on' to charge? Like do I have to turn the engine on and then leave the controls or will it just always passively charge? Last time I played I'm pretty sure it was just borked and the solar panels wouldn't work.

Also is it viable to stick a small gas engine on there with an alternator so I can charge my battery a bit when I find gas but it isn't actually necessary to run the thing?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 23, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My repurposed APC with a grenade launcher I haven't ever fired because I'm afraid of hurting my baby.

Oh follow up question similar to the solar panels one; if I turn my fridge on will it stay on even when the ignition is off?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 23, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

What is this tileset and is it possible to switch tilesets in a save game without borking things?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Cool thanks

President Ark posted:

The problem is if you aren't careful about how you get zombies out of a building they (especially the big ones) will kool-aid man right through walls.

Also someone mentioned earlier how it was dumb that a brute can hulk you through the plate glass but can't break out of it themselves, and so I ignored the brute in containment in a lab I was exploring.

Next thing I know a brute is running down the hall from that room at me and sends me flying. :argh:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Admiral Funk posted:

Gotcha!

Also oh god I'm sorry I hope you didn't die. Last time it came up I waited around for a few hours of it smashing against the glass and it never got out :shrug:

Nah my armor absorbed the damage and I shot it a bunch of times before it could hit me again. It was surprising though!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Artificer posted:

Is there anything interesting in prisoner containment? Or is it just a bunch of zombies?

Found a survivor in a lab's prisoner containment once.

Stupid motherfucker pulled out a .22, little did he know I had a loaded 12 gauge

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

Ok, the bullwhip is ridiculous. It's my only weapon so far in this lab run and I'm whacking a manhack to death. It's permanently stunned apparently and I can't damage it. Meanwhile both melee and marksmanship are getting trained. I'm level 5 in both already and it hasn't even been a day yet.

Oh wow I saw a bullwhip yesterday and ignored it because I thought 'yeah right a whip is going to be super useful against zombies and robots :jerkbag:'

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe it's the vehicle parts mod packaged with the release that I am using but I definitely have a curtain over my windshield that I close whenever I'm not driving.

Also I think you can stick a camera to the outside and not even have a windshield and just drive using the camera? Dunno about that haven't tried it but I feel like I saw a post somewhere on the DDA forums of someone doing that.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kayle7 posted:

I've done that! The camera gives you a limited view range, I didn't count but I"d say around 40 tiles view range, amounts to around half of your screen. Zombies however have no clue what's going on if they can't see or smell you. They'll come towards the sound, but if you use an electric engine then there isn't much sound to come to.

I have a repurposed APC that I stripped the gas engine out of and replaced with a large electric engine... I still have that tiny windshield but I guess I may as well replace that poo poo with more plating and install cameras. The limited view range is too bad but I feel pretty limited with my 1 tile windshield anyway so it probably won't be much difference.

Thanks!

If they come towards to sound (say I run into a house or whatever) but there's no smell and they don't see me will they just go 'huh big chunk of metal' and leave it alone or will they start bashing to see what's up?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Boats are a cool new thing but I want to be able to make fortress ships that can house land exploration vehicles.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When I'm wearing a combat helmet, scarf, and glasses my head is so encumbered that I miss half my melee swings with a bashing/melee skill of 5.

Seems a little much.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tooterfish posted:

Head encumbrance doesn't affect anything at all, and mouth and eye encumbrance don't affect melee skills.

Hm maybe it's my torso encumbrance then.

Still it gives me a message which is annoying by itself :colbert:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M.Ciaster posted:

I actually don't mind this one, but drat is it overwrought. Firing a few shots off in the middle of the drat street won't make you go deaf right off the bat, dammit!

My biggest issue with the 'realism!' stuff people are so into for their games is that most of the time it is so punishing and ridiculous that it is waaaay worse than it would actually be irl.

Like when they made it so if you slip past broken glass there was some huge chance of getting tetanus and then antibiotics didn't even heal it (like they do irl). And when someone said 'hey this is too punishing' people in the forum just said 'nah bro you're just not good enough raise your DEX and clear the window with a crowbar.'

Or the gunpowder thing. Nevermind that gunpowder isn't all that hard to make really. Not compared to some of the other stuff you can make in this game; like a fusion cannon or whatever.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

M.Ciaster posted:

They seem to be hella into the whole realism for realism's sake thing without actually thinking how it'll affect the fun.

Which is one thing if you want to make some ultra-realistic game but then they don't even make it realistic; it's just as unrealistic but in the opposite direction.

The tetanus thing is gone. You can still get it but the odds are much much lower and I think antibiotics work as they should now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I surrendered and the dude started taking more of my poo poo than I thought reasonable so I tried to quickly blast him in the face with my Uzi but he was faster and I died.

Goddamn NPCs.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shady Amish Terror posted:

For all the stupid poo poo the devs seem to pull from time to time, I must give this game some credit for the incredibly-obvious-in-hindsight gotchas, like when you start a fire indoors to cook with (and immediately regret it), or keel over dead from a heroin overdose (again, seems sort of obvious in hindsight), or as in my case, drop an entire multi-story lab on your own dumb head because you thought firing massive plasma explosions indoors is a good idea. :v:

Sadly been too busy with work to really get back into the game much, but c'est la vie.

Yeah don't get me wrong the game is still awesome. I was more just commenting on gamers that are super into 'realism.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Vengarr posted:

You can say that about a lot of things. Why are base-building mechanics in the game when wandering hordes simply aren't a thing? It doesn't really matter whether you're living in Megafortress One or a random hut, as long as you don't intentionally provoke enemies you'll never be attacked.

My solution to this was to create a huge Mad Max style war rig that I would park outside areas I wanted to loot.

I will take my death turret base to them.