Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Survival 4, Tailoring 2, Strength 14 Dexterity 14 is a really solid start.

If you can huck a rock at a bunny and make a bone needle, it's possible to make a full set of clothing (training yourself up to Tailoring 3 in short order) plus a wooden javelin, which is a pretty solid melee weapon. All of this can be made from breaking windows.

Disassemble 3-ft strings, and disassemble the 6-in strings you get from that in turn to make thread.

Bam. You'll never ever run out of thread or rags again if you just break windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You can reload bone needles and sewing kits with sinew and thread, but any loaded sinew is transmuted into thread.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It turns out that some of the developers and moderators in the DDA IRC room are bitcoin true believers! :haw:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Apparently solar panels are unfucked now.

PiCroft, is there any chance you can merge in https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues/2008

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

NPCs are an absolutely terrible thing at the moment.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The gravity gun strikes me as something that should be a fun cheat option, rather than an in-game item.

I mean, Cataclysm already has enough poo poo stolen outright from other sources, and if it's powerful enough to be as fun as we're all hoping, it sounds imbalancing in regular play anyway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Code trap? :allears:

Edit: Smoke is just insane at the moment. Cooking with anything larger than a skewer is likely to leave you almost literally coughing a lung out, and the less said about smoker zombies the better.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 20, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Butchering a bear and cooking all its meat on the spot raises your cooking skill enough that you suddenly know how to make crack! :haw:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Spoken like a true goon.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

If weapon maintenance is a thing, I'd rather see PiCroft's mix-and-match gun parts system become a thing for when I'm finding new parts to keep my weapon in service.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Can something be done about the absurd monster density in even the tiniest of swamps?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

It'd make more of a difference if fuel consumption wasn't a flat rate depending on if the speed indicator is green or yellow.

As it is, there's basically no downside to steel plating every last part of an electric car since they have the grunt to truck on at over a few hundred kilometres an hour even with all that crap tacked on.

Same goes for hard plating, too.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

How do you guys think the vehicles could be improved? I'd like to see more variation in what spawns. The wreckages and varying engine sizes is a start, but there's plenty of room for the system to grow.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Apparently RV kitchen units can only be installed on frames without roofs. :wtc:

Aaand it appears you can stack wheels by installing a kitchen unit atop a wheel and putting another wheel on top of that.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 27, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

And boiling enough water to fill up a water tank sends your cooking skill through the loving roof.

If real life worked like Cataclysm, I would be such a goddamn great chef with how much tea and coffee I make. :v:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Boil water, pour in mug with teabag or plunger with grinds. You got a problem with that?

Also, distillation and home-made booze would be just perfect. We can call low-grade beer made from grassland materials 'Millet Light'...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

So I paid a visit to the Cataclysm DDA hangouts.

One of the lead devs is a brony with a persecution complex, they added a hooker profession/start to the game, and their publicly advertised 18+ discussion and roleplaying side-channel says that under-18s shouldn't disclose their age. You know, for deniability.

:negative:

Edit: Apparently the hooker profession starts with an addiction to opiates and cocaine, and there is a hobo profession with alcoholism. Saying that racial stereotyping is a bad thing is also a way to start huge arguments with the DDA folks.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 6, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Haven't there been tileset forks for years?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Jeesis posted:

Also, my current character feels like I am cheating the game. After stockpiling 100+ clean water bottles, I just hang out in my cabin learning all the time and whenever I need food I just have to walk less than 20 spaces and kill the never ending supply of coyotes/cougars/jumping spiders/wolves. Then use the rear end tons of logs I got from a single tree to cook it all.

Not only that, but you'll sooner or later notice exactly which stores you already looted. That's boring.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Get rid of hooker and hobo as starts? :v:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You could also tone swamp spawns way the gently caress down. They seem to have two modes: empty swamp and wall-to-wall dermatiks.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

If you assume the weather to be always the same gamewide, couldn't you make the funnel object remember the time it was placed, and fill the tank beneath it according to the amount of time that it had rained since it was placed?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Gryphglyph, if you're still reading the thread, can you please give us a bit more insight into the DDA development practices? I gather a lot of stuff is just merged in, but with the amount of really questionable stuff that's made it in I'm curious to hear more as to the how and the why it happens.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

GlyphGryph posted:

And then some stuff, like the professions you don't like, is apparently still in there specifically to piss you (in particular, not SA in general, just Anticheese) off. That may just be a rumour. But I have decided to believe that it's true. Either way apparently they aren't going anywhere at the moment, though both professions and traits are looking to see some overhauls sooner or later and they will probably disappear then when "addict" becomes a starting trait instead of a profession (similar to Android). That's what is looking most likely to me anyway.

Thank you very much for the explanation about the overall process, but.. :psyduck:

:catstare:

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 4, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

:crossarms:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

#Cataclysm-DDA posted:

<Percy> We already have a cross dresser trait
<G-Flex> Percy: are you serious
<Percy> yup
<Percy> it gives you morale boosts for wearing clothes of the opposite sex

For fucks sake.

Imagine watching a .gif of selecting the Lost Submissive start, the cross dresser trait, wearing a fursuit on top of the bondage gear, wearing a jedi cloak on that with a jacqueshammer, and then blingee snoop shows up on the scene, possibly while that quote flashes up. That is what this game looks like now.

(I couldn't work out how to stitch two animations together into one)

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

There's just so much dumb poo poo being worked in by a million contributors who want to see their dumb references in, and a lot of the new item recipes just result in more subsystems and ways to make crap being piled on top of each other without any real thought as to how they'd work together.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The community there is also seriously immature and it makes me really uncomfortable to see them putting in content like that when it just seems to be there for shock value and a few cheap laughs. It definitely seems like random junk is the order of the day.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Yeah, I suppose that I have been panicking a bit too much. It would be nice if some of the bullshit were cleared and a bit of maturity called for, but there's also some really excellent stuff like being able to install a vehicle welding rig in your car - it's like having the piece of the integrated toolkit everyone actually cares about, but it runs off your car batteries! There's some farming stuff too in the nightly builds, but I have no idea how that works.

Edit: Right as I say something nice, I grab the latest nightly.

"A fuzzy pair of brownish cat ears on a headband. It does nothing, but there's no reason not to look good even if no one's looking."

No, it isn't for cats.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 11, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

You can already fire a LAW out the window of your car while driving - I just tested it! :haw:

The GDA stuff seems to have been merged into the main DDA branch, including brewing. Which I hate because all the recipes rely on existing stockpiles of booze which kind of defeats the purpose! (But this is easily changed, especially since it's looking more and more likely that you'll be able to grow your own stuff. The hardest thing to change to really get it right would be wait periods in crafting, like letting your booze ferment rather than the game making your character stand in place for a week.)

I know I've been bitching a lot, but the Whales days Cataclysm community was terrible and full of rape jokes, and the mods back then were full of references to stuff. I just don't want to see any of that get out of hand.

Good work is being done on the game, and I think that above-ground z-levels are on the docket. Just that they won't appear any time soon.
By which I mean, I hate everything that Killer-of-Lawyers posted and I hope that I never get to make a building on wheels with rockets and turrets and stuff.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The best feature in the latest version is the wreckages. I don't have a screenshot of it, but I got a car melded with an electric one, giving me a hybrid limo. :allears:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Huh.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

How is bonemeal/chitin powder fertilizer supposed to work?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Doug Lombardi posted:

Bone meal is a real fertilizer, popular with organic types.

In terms of game mechanics and how to use it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Nowadays you need to drop a container underneath it.

Also, I cannot overstate how important and useful shopping carts are. Not only do they let you store an ungodly amount of stuff without wearing encumbering gear, but they also act as portable rough terrain, which'll give you an edge in beating up stuff.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Arm encumbrance directly impacts your ability to hit stuff at range.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

gently caress smokers.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

T-man posted:

In all my games I've never found a LAMOE shelter. Are they marked on the map? Are they called that in game? How rare are they?

Pretty bloody rare, although in my current game I've found two within an hours walk of each other. :shobon:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Take off any headgear you have. Head warmth calculates weirdly when you load a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

They mostly apply damage to your feet, and some of the higher-tier boots have ridiculous protection values.