Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So, what's the best thing to play right now? Goon, or the nightly build with all the crazy arrows? Being a green arrow in the apocalypse sounds kinda fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So does the latest version of GDA have all the cool stuff in the last release and the extra books and such?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is there a way to make your inventory reuse old letters? It seems that after you use something up it still doesn't use that letter again, and you end up with things attached to symbols pretty quickly if you survive long enough.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Awesome, does this have the weird bandage bug people were talking about earlier?

Edit: Yeaaah, I think you uploaded the uncompiled version.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 14, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hell yes, with working solar panels I can finally get an RV kitchen up and save batteries.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If I make an RV unit, can I make a wheeless car with some solar panels and storage batteries and just assemble it outside my shelter to power it?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is there a way to examine a vehicle besides using e? I stopped while building my rv kitchen unit, and now I can't continue because using e on it just brings up the 'the water tank is empty' line.

Am I screwed?

edit: Oh, RV units only let you get a drink? Why can't we top off containers like we can from other water sources, like toilets?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 15, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As far as I can tell, you can only siphon gasoline out. It doesn't seem to want to siphon out water.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, someone else is maintaining it. You can get the latest build from last page in one of picrofts posts.

So, after a lot of testing, it does seem that you cannot get water out of a water tank except by drinking from the RV unit. Maybe you could make it work like the toilets do instead, picroft?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PiCroft posted:

I'll take a look. I'll see about adding skill books for martial arts styles, for some reason I thought they were already in.

Awesome.

Speaking of things that are oddly missing from the game, how come there aren't any welding trucks in the near future apocalypse?

edit: Goddamnit, this game was addictive enough before I actually started living longer than a few days. Vehicles are just dastardly fun to plan out. I feel like a kid with my plans for a post apocalyptic tank. I just wish that crafting accounted for items in containers. Not being able to cook with the inventory of my kitchen is frustrating. Still, I can't complain, the issues are minor compared to driving cars through houses and swarms of zombies. A workbench that's like the kitchen for soldering iron and such, and a upgraded kitchen that has the other two kitchen tools is about all I could really ask for. Hopefully your power modifications will fit the bill when you release them.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 16, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Cardiovorax posted:

I've been trying to figure out how to make [s]mashing a car actually punt it around the place like crashing into it with a vehicle does. Maybe I'll manage it one of these days.

Hulk mutations. Make it happen.

Also, speaking of destruction being the best, it'd be amazing if you could mount LAW's onto your vehicles and shoot them forward like the batmobile.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
No rush man, trust me, we're all tickled pink to have someone put in suggestions like that. Don't apologize.

edit: Does this game keep crashlogs? There's a certain part of town that crashes me without fail.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 17, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oooh, it's got a folding bycicle you can stash in your trunk! Perfect! Still wish we could hitch trailers and store vehicles on trailers though.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So how do you use electrohacks, anyways? There doesn't seem to be a way to apply it to a console or anything.

edit: Nevermind, they only work on keycard readers, not the consoles. Duh.

New Question: Can I stack solar bionics to recharge faster?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 18, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Vehicle mounted version could be amazing. Maybe something like the magnetic bionics that pull metal items to you, but for mounting on a vehicle and it pulls cars towards you?

Edit: And since we're taking suggestions, being able to tow stuff with vehicles would be a swell change. No idea how complicated it would be, but it can't be much harder than a gravity gun.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 18, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Well, there's a external file for modifying recipes, but it looks like you still need to edit the actual code to put the stuff in. Otherwise I would add brewing and distilling. Being able to brew beer, wine, and other things, and distill it down to make brandy and whisky would be amazing. Of course, this would go even better with some kind of farming system, then the fusion of Cataclysm with Unrealworld will be done.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I wonder, is it possible to have recipes require the rotten version of things? Because you could make a pretty good brewing system that way. Boil up some wort, let it go bad over a week or so, then either bottle it or distill it into beer brandy.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^^
Making Triffid Oil would be a very cool thing, as that's what it was used for in the fiction. Possibly a new facility or place on the map, Triffid Refinery?

narcoticgoldfish posted:

So far, I haven't modified anything that would break your saves. This release should be backwards compatible, as far as my additions go; I'm actually play testing on my 200 day old character as we speak. When I start loving up the NPC code and such it'll probably break backwards compatibility, but you should be safe...for now!

The java portion of the coding is incredibly easy; I have never had any classes or any instruction as far as coding goes, and this is my first time actually delving into the guts of any game. I might just be insane, though - I've dropped over $100 on some amazing titles I have been waiting to buy during the steam sale, but so far none of them hold as much allure as notepad++. Stick around for when I dive into the actual code, though - I'm sure my face will be melting by then!

Vengarr: I have no idea - I don't think the code for such a differentiation exists, but as a wild-assed guess, it'd be a pain in the rear end (and possibly unusable) with static spawn. Dynamic might be a different story - I am pretty sure only noise is used in determining dynamic spawn, but I'd have to dig a bit to say that with 100% certainity.

One of my ideas was to have a pack of zombie dogs spawn every so often and hunt down the player to introduce that element of uncertainty when sleeping outside a secure location, or packs of roamers ala walking dead. I'd love to have a horde of 400+ zombies roaming the map, it'd provide a lot more random encounters and up the danger of exploring unprepared. Plus, as it stands now, if you're not in or near a town you're pretty safe from the undead menace - and safety, as we all know, is boring. I want a game where you have to stay on your toes, lest a horde show up and rip up half your semi because they caught you flat footed, necessitating a choice between abandoning all of your sweet loot in the semi in order to survive, or risking death to fight off the horde. I'm trying to make melee a more viable option due to this reason - the armors listed in the change log are meant to give you a bit more survivability against multiple zombies in melee.

Keep the ideas rolling, folks ! I'm going to aim to do a small weekly update (maybe biweekly, depending on my schedule ) until I run out of :catdrugs: or interest in the game dies down, and I've got a poo poo ton of substances just begging to be abused.

Edit: Lawyer: yup, I can easily make it so recipies require rotten items - I'm planning on implementing the still and using straw/blueberries as a base to brew from until I have a chance to add a meaningful amount of corn/hops/etc to the game. I'm thinking tainted flesh (rotten) should be a precursor to a lot of recipies, though - it'll give players a reason to butcher zombies other than to prevent resurrection. Are there any recipies in particular anyone would like to see added? If you provide the name and ingredients, I can handle the rest - even if the ingredients are not yet in-game.

Yeah, then no idea how involved you want to make it, but you could have a recipe that makes a gallon jugs worth of fluid, and just give it a rot timer, then you can have 2 recipes, one that bottles up a portion of it into a bottle to drink as wine, and another that takes it all and distills it into brandy.

Let's see, off the top of my head, you've got the following.

Strawberries + Water + (Tainted Flesh, or possibly something from funguloids since were dealing with yeast.) = 10x Strawberry Ferment.

Strawberry Ferment (Rotten) + Bottle = Bottle of Strawberry Wine (Gets you drunk like beer in the game, can't be used for bandages.)

10x Strawberry Ferment (Rotten) + Pot + Rubber Tube + Heatsource = 1x Strawberry Brandy.

Apples and Blueberries can be done the same way.

Corn is used to make whiskey, and more importantly, moonshine. Things made from grain and the likes tend to be a little more involved, as you usually need to boil the mixture.

Corn + Water + Whatever fermentation starter you go for + Heatsource = 10x Corn Mash.

10x Corn Mash + Pot + Rubber Tube + Heatsource = White Lightning (Bilabooze?)

Potatoes are also a good fermentable. You can make a rather tasty wine out of them easily enough.

Potatoes + Water + Heatsource = Young Potato Wine

Potato Wine could then be distilled like the corn mash to make Vodka (Although you can make vodka from corn as well), or bottled as a wine to drink.

Of course, it wouldn't be doing justice if we didn't have the less refined drinks out there, and potato wine and moonshine is pretty hick, to be honest.

6x Candy or Sugar or Fruit or Juice + Water + Sock = Pruno, or Prison Wine. Socks are actually used, along with whatever bits of sugar you can get your hands on, be it raisins or candy, even ketchup. This is usually shoved in any old container to ferment for a while. Somewhat 'distilled' versions do exist, which are produced with a black trash bag and a light fixture. Mouldy Bread is also commonly used in place of the sock, or with it. I'm sure it adds character or something.

Sugar and Water can be made into an alcohol that can be like a strong wine. You could also distill it, which it would sort of be like rum, I suppose, although I imagine it'd be more like moonshine or vodka. Things like this are popular in Northern Alaska and other dry areas, as sugar and yeast are abundant outside of prison, but it's easier and quicker than properly brewing a beer.

Beer would just be malt, fermentation agent, and hops boiled together to make wort, which when it goes rotten could be bottled into beer. It's worth noting that they sell rabbit pellets of Hops at most brew stores, and usually malt as well. You could add those as things to be found in Liquor Stores along side the usual fair. You could also make malt from corn, so that's another source for beer. Beer made from corn would probably be called Chicha, which can also be made by just chewing the corn and leaving it outside in big balls of chewed up corn and spit. Beer would essentially distill into a type of whiskey, I don't know what it'd be called, but it's not an unheard of thing.

Triffids, with their plant marrow, would probably make a wonderful drink too. Although they're probably oily, as in the fiction they're from they were used as an energy source.

Plant Marrow + Water + Heatsource + Water = Triffid Nectar

Triffid Nectar (Rotten) could be bottled as Triffid's Sting, or distilled into The Great Blindness.

Marloss Berries could make... interesting wine. Possibly wine that heals you or draws on other marloss effects.

Beer from the store should be distillable into something amusing. "Coor's Heavy" or the like. "Colorado Kool Aid." ect. ect.

Other tangentially related ideas could be the boiling of woodland mushrooms to make an intoxicating tea, or possibly even an alcohol with forest veggies and mushrooms in it that has various effects.

Disinfectant would probably be alcohol based. It might be possible to make alcohol with it by filtering it in some manner, perhaps through bread. Also, mouthwash filtered through bread would be another suitable drink on the level of pruno and such.

That's all I've got for now. Although on a different note, static spawn only pertains to zombies, the dynamic code is still used for everything else. So if you want special spawns like that you can still have it work in Static Mode.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, sure. I feel like having some illicit hooch after loosing my guy to smoke inhalation. Guess I don't have an excuse to go around with out a gas mask when I've got a tank stocked to the brim with them. Monday can't come fast enough. Will Picroft be pushing out a new GDA then? Wanna be able to siphon my water stores out instead of having a jerry can strapped to the back of my car to refill my waterskin.

Also, I like seeing more reasons to settle. I do it anyways, but there's something nice about playing unreal world in Cataclysm.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jonny Retro posted:

Maybe adding the ability to treat smoke inhalation to the inhaler would work. It's not the most realistic thing, but it seems like it would be easier than adding in a full 02 tank and breathing mask.

I think Dayquil prevents or reduces the coughing if your sick, but I'm not entirely sure on that one.

Actually, the inhaler would help, it'd reduce the inflammation and open up the lungs. This is a pretty good idea.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I wouldn't mind seeing more queen/heart type deals with the spawn tables. I play on Static cause I enjoy the sense of being able to clean up a town, but the numbers that spawn are kind of anemic. Having a few high value tough targets I can focus on taking down to clear a town out of spawning zombies eventually would probably be a better way of doing it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

narcoticgoldfish posted:

I was called into work this morning, drat the luck. I have all the professions mentioned in the changelog added in, as well as most of the weapons and items (with about half the recipes for the still). I'm still aiming for a release later on in the evening, but that's really dependent on how long I will be staying at work. Further bulletins as events warrant!

Will you be pushing your changes to pi so he can add them to the latest GDA that will hopefully have those folding bycicles in the latest DDA?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

PiCroft posted:

I've done a merge so the next GDA will have the latest DDA stuff in, including folding cycles and the new bionsic/professions.

I'll wait till narcoticgoldfish sends a pull request and then make another build.

Yessss. Folding Bicycles will be great. At least until we can put trailers with ATV's or dune buggies, or sapient computerized Pontiac to ferry around.

The problem with the crafting raising skill is what would you have that'd make you better at mechanics? Welding and fixing a car certainly should make you more mechanically inclined. Why wouldn't fixing junked cars make you good at figuring out how to weld a hotplate to a sink and run some piping for water? Sure, it doesn't make much sense that building lots of arrows makes you better at shooting, but it certainly would mean you make better arrows. I'd imagine that can be abstracted into your skill. (You actually make straight arrows now, which is why you hit more, not that you make lots of arrows and suddenly got better aim.) The other problem is what fun does slower skill gain add. Do you guys really want to spend days standing outside the shelter shooting the same spot over and over for archery practice to get skilled enough to not miss all the time?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, that one is a bit weird. I don't know why drugs use the cooking skill anyways. I certainly never learned how to make meth in GWS.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Phobeste posted:

See, I think that it should work pretty much like xp in most games: doing easy stuff doesn't help you as much. Shooting at trees might raise your archery to 3. But to get it higher you're gonna have to find a moving target, like a squirrel. Then a hostile target, like a coyote. Then something inherently scary, like a zombie, and so on. For mechanics, changing tires only gets you so good at things. Want to learn how to do really cool poo poo? Make the things that are at the edge of your skill level.

The basic point is that in cataclysm, as of right now with there only being sandbox mode, you're almost never forced into combat. That means that you're not forced into challenges. That in my opinion is bad: there hours always be something intrinsic to the game mechanics driving you to do cool poo poo, and I think this sort of crafting would accomplish that.

That's fine, but that doesn't actually make any sense. People don't become good at shooting by going out and finding deer to shoot, they get good by shooting paper at a range. More importantly, you don't just change tires when you repair cars, you rebuild steering column, fix engines, work with solar cells and batteries. I'd say that fixing a car would rapidly make you a pretty drat good mechanic. Book only recipies probably makes more sense then some sort of arbitrary "I think the game isn't grindy enough, so let's force everyone to grind!". Having to go into town to find good books is more of a push to do cool stuff than having to start shooting bushes, then shooting vermin, and then shooting zombies, and this... somehow making you better at making bows. Doubly so if you made it so each book only taught you one recipe. "You've learned how to make field point arrows from this Game and Wildlife Magazine, you'll need to find another to learn a new recipe."

That's a lot more satisfying than "I don't learn anything from fixing cars with just my welder and some scrap, better go build a thousand mufflers or something." Because I really don't see why taking apart cars wouldn't just make you a better mechanic period. Most of the recipes you learn in mechanics, like RV kitchen units are pretty trivial in real life to make anyways.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mix and match gunsmithing would be pretty cool, and probably fit in with the future setting anyways. Still like having the default guns around, but even being able to change the barrels and mess with various stocks would be pretty fun. I need some tactilol poo poo when I'm fighting zombies. Put rails on everything, slap some accessories on, and put more rails on them! I want to make TFR posters cry when I go clean out a lab.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
A few hunting related items and a hunter starting class could be great. Starting with a hunting rifle, some camo, supplies, and a ice chest full of beer.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Alright, time to crash my super tank into a town at full speed and prime some mini nukes.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can find it in bank vaults some of the time.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Cataclysm: Technical Issues Ahead.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

How do you guys think the vehicles could be improved? I'd like to see more variation in what spawns. The wreckages and varying engine sizes is a start, but there's plenty of room for the system to grow.

Trailers would be nice. It'd be cool to actually be able to use the Semi-truck to pull a semi-trailer. Also, it'd be cool to put smaller vehicles in the trailers. I wouldn't mind being able to make larger vehicles as well (Maybe the max size of your construction screen is influenced by your mechanics skill, so at start you can make ATV's and at high levels be building a battle bus or something like that mack truck in the Road Warrior.), and more vehicle types. There should be more military vehicles too. Imagine coming across a ruined check point, with some burned out ACPS to strip of heavy plating, infested with zombie soldiers.

I would also like to see more mountable turret options. The regular smg turret would be nice, as would the ability to mount makeshift flamethrowers. Grenade launcher as well could be interesting, maybe for popping smoke before you run out the back of your vehicle? Being able to mount LAW's to fire from the controls straight forward would be spiffy. Also, I wouldn't mind the ability to change the facing of vehicle lights, so you can put lights that illuminate to the side or back of the vehicle.

For utility I think there should be a welder that you can attach like the RV kitchen. It would make sense, as we have welding trucks in real life. Maybe even general utility trucks, like the cherry pickers they use to work on power lines. A tool module could count as all the basic tools, kind of like a big multi tool implant for your vehicle. This way we can add utility trucks and the likes to the game. Forklifts might also be nice to find and use to lug around stacks of heavy things, like engines and armor plate.

Alternators that generate power when the vehicle is running, or even generators would be nice. Although useless for now since the only vehicle part that needs power is the RV kitchen. Perhaps if a welding unit was added, or picrofts power system was finished.

edit: Oh, more options for movement, like treads that have a bonus to off road or something but or heavier, or even boats/amphib stuff would be cool in swamps. I wouldn't mind living in a swamp, fighting for my life against giant mosquitoes, crusing in my airboat.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 27, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Trains would indeed be awesome.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, the kitchen unit itself counts as an impassable tile, like the walls and apparently acts as a roof as far as the in/out stuff is concerned.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

And boiling enough water to fill up a water tank sends your cooking skill through the loving roof.

If real life worked like Cataclysm, I would be such a goddamn great chef with how much tea and coffee I make. :v:

Switching distillation to some kind of set up might be better. Like, you take a container, a hose, and another container and set the mess on top of a fire for a few hours. Also stop boiling your tea and coffee, you neanderthal.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You're burning your coffee and tea!

Hopefully distillation and homemade booze will be in the next GDA, if Pi and narc figure out how to stop crossing wires.

Although once I see how that is I'm hoping we'll have room for more stills. Pot Stills to Column stills! Fractional distillation!

That said, if the setup works then water purification from stills rather than a cooking recipe you do a million times would be great. To be honest, I wouldn't mind seeing jerky and stuff be done more like it is in unreal world.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So if I put the controls in the back, and make a long skinny car, can I have a nuclear powered battering ram?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I would normally say ideally the trailers would pivot at the joint or something, but to be honest vehicles in cataclysm look terrible at the non cardinal directions anyways, so just being able to hock trailers that stick out behind (Or wherever I guess.) would be pretty useful. Could be a good start for trains though. To be honest, I think the way vehicles render needs some work. It'd probably look a lot better if the vehicles only faced 4, maybe 8 directions when rendered. IF the car's moving almost NW just have it face north and veer that way. You won't have the weird 'zombies can walk through walls if you park at an angle' issue, and I'd imagine it'd make trailers and trains a lot easier to implement with a pivot. (Have them be orientated that direction the main vehicle was for a few turns before turning themselves.)

edit: Unless your talking more about the whole drive a vehicle onto another trailer thing, in which case, yes, do that in whatever way possible.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sewing kits are broken in the latest GDA. If you try and reload then you get a message out of XXX. If you unload them you don't get any string. Don't know if bone needles work or not.

edit: Confirmed that sewing doesn't work with bone needles either. Won't reload off of sinew as well. I'd assume plant fiber is the same way.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 28, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Awesome, thanks! Now back to my regularly scheduled zombie bashing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Headsup, the guns are borked too. If you could provide a list we could fix the ammo types ourselves.

Edit: looking at the old ranged.json it seems that the ammo types is the same, so they must have changed how it is internally recently?

Doubleedit: Fixed it myself by snagging the proper ranged.json from the last stable build. Let me upload it to mediafire for goons to use tonight.

Replace your current data/raw/items/ranged.json with this.

Edit: Doh, I'm bad at fixing things, I must have broke the basic flame thrower.

edit: New ranged.json that fixes the crude flamethrower I broke!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/qtt36cl5e5pjn7j/ranged.json

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 28, 2013