Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I can't seem to use the makeshift welder to work on cars. Is this intentional?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anyone find that sometimes they have an area that they can't go in with out cataclysm crashing? I had it on the last GDA, and it seems to be happening again. Is there some fix or something I should try?

edit: Also being able to drain water is great, but it seems to force you to drain all of the water in a tank, rather than just letting you fill a container's worth.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 30, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It seems like it's specific areas, however it's gotten more sporadic now. I think maybe running the game as administrator has helped. Either way, I can't seem to get it to reliably crash every time in the same spot.

Edit: Keep in mind that gas isn't in the same unit as water. It's weird, but a jerry can of water can hold a few thousand units of gas. Or at least, in the last GDA I was filling steel jerry cans up at pumps with a lot of gas.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 30, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
But still things are a little wonky. Siphon doesn't show up at all, and there is an option for draining that shows up. I guess drains the water command?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, it's probably just some sporadic map funkyness. I have autosave to happen often so that helps. If I find any bad map spots I'll just not revisit them. I do hope they add a crash log soon. Its kind of ridiculous that the game doesn't dump anything and just closes down when it crashes.

edit: Portal generators have none instead of NULL in their ammo, so you can get a bugged item if you unload them. There is a lot of none where NULL should be in the tools file.

I just did a replace all, in the stable folding bycicle and towel have none instead of null, but I think that might be a error in the stable.

edit2: Here's the fixed tools.json I've made. While I'm at it, I'll repost my fixed ranged.json as well for people to use till picroft puts out a new version.

tools.json
ranged.json

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 31, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wow, these directional headlights are fantastic. Is that your doing, goldfish? You're my hero. Now I can build floodlights around my base!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That'd be pretty nice. I've crashed into a few forests with my base crawler before.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Phobeste posted:

Are there reinforced glass panels you can find? Because they might be cool too.

Also, one of the most annoying things about vehicles to me is that it pops up that "do you want to get something from the box?" question every time to you walk on a floor trunk. It's the only box in the game that does. I would much rather just walk over them and use / to interact.

Also I wish the rv kitchen didn't need CLEAN water. It seems like it's pretty unnecessary - by the time you get one you're usually perfectly able to boil a shitton of water, especially since you have an rv kitchen unit right there, but it's already tedious to fill it up period due to the relative size of jerrycans and adding boiling all that water one unit at a time just sucks.

Is anyone else having problems with the game auto reassigning items to characters that are already assigned?

Spend the 400 batteries or so to purify a few kegs of water with a purifier instead of boiling it all. Also, if you run over trunks or what not it will ask if you want to get something from them. (Then not do it if you type Y. It's a little buggy.)

edit: Welp, missed this last page.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Forklifts. The game needs forklifts and hand carts.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Looks like the Internal Furnace in GDA is broken. I've tried to eat a cardboard box and some wood and both have crashed me. It's a shame, I kind of wanted to munch on trees. On the upside the ethanol burner still lets me use jerry cans of beer to power myself.

Edit: Battery system seems broken in the same manner.

edit2: How do I tell if my power armor MK II interface is working or not? Does the encumberance change if a powered armor is properly powered? Does the MK II not work on the basic armor?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Good thing this is open source. Maybe some less lovely people will use it as a good base once (if?) they get done cleaning it up.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Is it on GDA? I think GDA might have a broken materials.json.

I tested the furnace thing with a new charactor and cheats and it still breaks.

edit: No, it checks out, they've both got the same materials.json.

edit2: Tested it with a naked character, eating sticks still crashes you, so it's not whatever you googled up.

edit3: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/2267 There's the pull request to fix it. Seems it's a code bug. Hopefully it'll get rolled into the next GDA, whenever that may be.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 9, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a bug with the version GDA was built on, and was fixed earlier this month.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Is it on GDA? I think GDA might have a broken materials.json.

I tested the furnace thing with a new charactor and cheats and it still breaks.

edit: No, it checks out, they've both got the same materials.json.

edit2: Tested it with a naked character, eating sticks still crashes you, so it's not whatever you googled up.

edit3: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/2267 There's the pull request to fix it. Seems it's a code bug. Hopefully it'll get rolled into the next GDA, whenever that may be.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
There's a file you need to edit as well as adding the font file in the right location. it's called FONTDATA. You'll need to put the name of the font on top, followed by the dimensions on the next two lines.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I haven't looked at the code, but the big things I can think of off the top of my head are some of the vehicle rewrites. Directional headlights, siphoning water from tanks and the such. I'd imagine that a lot of the extra books, recipes, and what not can be made as a module once all thats done.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Wait, what? I can smith and forge now?

loving incredible, they're gonna combine URW style survival gameplay, I just know it.

Anyways, let them be immature. It's not like we have an alternative dev team or anything serious. They'll keep improving the game and when it's eventually stable in a million years someone can easily trim all the blatantly racist/sexist stuff.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
At least it comes in leather and fur!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anticheese, can you hate the following things:

Trailers for Vehicles
Larger Vehicles
Z-levels
Z-levels for vehicles.
Z-level aware hatches and turrets for vehicles.
Law Rockets for Vehicles.

And uhh...

Brewing since GDA is mostly defunct.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

You can already fire a LAW out the window of your car while driving - I just tested it! :haw:

The GDA stuff seems to have been merged into the main DDA branch, including brewing. Which I hate because all the recipes rely on existing stockpiles of booze which kind of defeats the purpose! (But this is easily changed, especially since it's looking more and more likely that you'll be able to grow your own stuff. The hardest thing to change to really get it right would be wait periods in crafting, like letting your booze ferment rather than the game making your character stand in place for a week.)

I know I've been bitching a lot, but the Whales days Cataclysm community was terrible and full of rape jokes, and the mods back then were full of references to stuff. I just don't want to see any of that get out of hand.

Good work is being done on the game, and I think that above-ground z-levels are on the docket. Just that they won't appear any time soon.
By which I mean, I hate everything that Killer-of-Lawyers posted and I hope that I never get to make a building on wheels with rockets and turrets and stuff.

Well, the guy working on the brewing in this thread talked about letting the rotten tag work with brewing, so I'm sure it'll come.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The latest nightly has a way to scale static, too, so if you want you can crank up the city size and the static spawn rates and make the cities super dangerous.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Theres no current goon modified one, but as far as I can tell all of the improvements from the goon one have made their way into the official stable by now, which is pretty cool. Goonratulations!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is. Although I did see someone working on an square ASCII tileset, which means you can have square letter tiles and a non square interface screen. It rules.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Last I checked their eating code was buggy. I don't think they need to eat, but they can bug out and try and eat their items.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh, blegh, it seems the tile version doesn't play nice with running in non tiles mode and squaring a font like the curses version did. Don't know what to do now.

edit: found it! http://assets.cataclysmdda.com/downloads/windows_binaries/cddacurses-v0.8.zip if anyone else needs it. Hopefully there will be a nice square font tiles out soon and I can have the best of both worlds, but the current tile sets, though nice, don't display things I like, like beds in trucks and stuff.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Drake_263 posted:

How viable, exactly, is constructing a vehicle of your own in this game? I've been pulling apart car and truck hulks for spare parts left and right and am slowly beginning to appreciate the thought of building a giant death crawler on wheels to be a mobile base. Could plonk a couple of turrets down on the outer shell to add to the firepower.

A funnel is a relatively painless source of water - you'd need to find one in a town, though, unless there's a crafting recipe I'm unaware of. (Seriously, a big plastic funnel like that? You could fiddle one together out of plastic bags and duct tape, or a spare raincoat or something). All you need is to set it up outdoors outside your shelter, then activate it during rain (drizzle, rain or thundestorm, everything works) with a liquid container in your inventory and you'll just fill the whole thing up in one go. Of course that means you need to rely on it raining, but having a big enough storage capacity for water should help with that.

Funnels don't work like that any more. They fill a container placed on the tile they are set up in overtime when it is raining. Also you can make your own funnels.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

esquilax posted:

Isn't there an option to do that in the normal options menu? There was a week or two ago.

You can, although I've found it to not position the characters right. There is also a curses version which doesn't have any gfx that I linked a page ago.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
PDA's can get software from the software loaded USB's to help you with things, like first aid. Generic USB's are used by NPC quests to retrieve stuff from consoles.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
^^^^
Go after the strange temples, mineshafts, and the other end game content.

Jon93 posted:

:siren: Breaking GDA News! :siren:
Due to the massive changes to the code base and balance I'm starting over!

The feature suggestion form has been reset!

Feel free to suggest brand new stuff for me to add, if you suggested something before that didn't get implemented and is still a problem feel free to resubmit.

Fill this out: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19yPWYabJaKwv-FIGv5YSE4tcYZVRKMkjbI8dzA7yu68/viewform

Already submitted ideas: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncNp4c6stYIdExxRzRpODVzSlF1c05xWUxIdmZnMkE&usp=sharing

Everything that was in GDA is in the main stable release anyways, so you'd kind of have to start over anyways with new ideas.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 23, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Slime posted:

Anyone else finding vehicle damage to be really quite silly lately? I can't run over a simple shrub, and I think adding hard plating to my car has made me more susceptible to damage. I broke my kitchen unit, welding rig and both solar panels with a fairly minor tap against another car when I was trying to ease my way around it.

Vehicle damage is broken in the stable. Basically there was an interrupt when you took damage that stopped all your momentum. As cars can't just run over bushes anymore, it got triggered, making bushes stop you cold. It's starting to get fixed in the experimentals, bushes get rammed over and over till it breaks, your car stops, or your car breaks, and damage is done on location, so you'll take it on the front of your car more than you will on say, the solars in the back.

Strudel Man posted:

I honestly could not care less about fursuits. It reads more as a joke than anything else. But the fur/leather collar/cat ears/tail cluttering up the armor crafting menu is a little much.

Knife spear requires that you have survival 1, which you will get pretty easily by butchering every zombie that you kill. Which is a good idea anyway. Until you make that, you can't go wrong with a crowbar as a weapon - you can easily make one out of a pipe, which you can get by smashing one of the lockers in the survival shelter, and finding a rock to smash it into a crowbar with.

Pots and pans are now mostly found inside cupboards in kitchens. They don't show up unless you specifically check the square, just like refrigerators.

The collar stuff is wierd, but the bondage suits and other stuff? We need more of that. I mean, this is the apocalypse. I should be able to wear some bizarre leather fetish bullshit. If you don't like it, well... The Lord Humungos says to just walk away.

edit: holy poo poo, does the retarded boomerang kid have a tail on? Maybe Cataclysm is an accurate depiction of the post apocalypse.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 26, 2013

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Warmth is done by bodypart, so while winter boots may be warmer for your feet, they're not warm at all for your legs and torso. Jackets tend to provide warmth ontop of your shirt and everything else, so have a lower number or you'd be burning up.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

"Retarded boomerang kid"?

You know, the kid in the Road Warrior? With the metal boomerang that couldn't speak and was also the narrator?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Of course, you didn't think the drat mute kid grew up and learned to talk, did you?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

nftyw posted:

Just sounds like mechanics are going nuts. Archery was awesome, then it sucks, now it's okay again, and now it's broken, guns went from plenty of ammo and very effective to pretty good but ammo rarely drops.

How is archery broken? It seems to do just fine for me.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
The Jacques hammer is also different than the jackhammer. It can go through anything.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's because a rock is better at killing a deer than a bunch of non-fletched arrows. Throwing spears and such should be more viable early on until you get access to fletched arrows some way.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not really. Cars you can make aren't as good as an intact or even junked car you can find until you get really good at mechanics. Throwing is a starting skill that peaks early, archery is a late term skill that takes a long time to peak, but does so at a level that can rival guns. That's the trade off.

edit: If deer in real life acted like deer in this game and didn't run when you hit them you drat sure could probably brain one with a few dozen big rocks. Maybe rocks do too much damage early on, but archery is fine. Trapping animals where they can't run and then braining them with rocks is a pretty long standing human tradition.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Strudel Man posted:

This is a rather bizarre comparison. You can't make cars in any meaningful sense until you get together a good bit of material and skill - but once you do, they will most certainly be better than the wheelless wrecks you see on the road. To the limited extent that it's even possible to make direct comparisons of utility between vehicles.

It's not actually a 'trade off' when the system in place just means that you don't use a skill for anything important until you can grind it up by shooting a billion wooden shafts at squirrels. It's just "bad design." Wooden shafts are pointless, field point arrows are (ironically) pointless, fletched field point arrows are barely better than pointless, and you don't actually have a decent weapon until you can put together wooden arrows.
Wanna guess what replaced braining animals with rocks?

The intact trucks and cars are better than you can make till you hit 8 in mechanics, which is when you can start putting an engine in whatever you want. They're not rare or hard to find. Don't be obtuse.

Also, fletched field points are only slightly less damaging than wood arrows. 10 vs. 7 isn't that much. I'm not really sure what game you're playing, but I do just fine at low level archery for hunting most small game. When you get better, you get better arrows and they're far better than rocks are against game, so I don't really get your point? Also, spears replaced rocks, not arrows. There's not any conclusive evidence that we had actual bows and arrows until like 10 thousand years ago, well after us becoming rather adept at throwing weapons. I don't really see any reason why a bow needs to be effective when you start out. They're like guns, only with more plentiful ammo. They take practice, just like guns. Throwing takes less practice.

All of the combat skills take practice. Some pay of early, like throwing rocks at things, or spears. Some pay off later like the various melee skills and bows, and some take a lot of shooting at things while keeping safe to train up, like guns. Saying that its easy to kill a deer with a rock is just a pointless comparison. You're going to do a lot more damage with a longbow and metal arrows at rank 6 archery then you will throwing a pile of heavy rocks at a zombie at 6 throwing.

Training targets would be nice, especially if they counted for auto select so if you want to practice you don't have to press f and then click over 1 or so to practice archery. Thankfully it doesn't take many ranks in archery for it to be an effective zombie killing skill, so you don't really have to spend days shooting at targets. Still nice to do when it's raining or dark outside.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I think the idea for having charcoal be an ingredient rather than something you load would be great. Just keep a big stack of charcoal to shovel into the forge, crucible, smoker, and hopefully one day furnace.

I want to make a river boat that's powered by zombie corpses I burn one day.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's a disease, actually, called ratting. It's not quite the best way for mutations.

http://www.wiki.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?title=Ratting

You'll mutate, but you lose some stat points, and it also advances the rat mutations, which aren't all that great. Unless you want to be shredder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It has, I've gotten a number of "The cart is too heavy to move." messages before. It may have more to do with the weight of items in storage on a vehicle than the vehicle itself right now, though.