Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Which version of this game should I get? What mods should I get for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Got the game going, played quite a bit over the past couple of days, but today I ran into a problem.

I started off with a crossbow and got pretty good with it to where I rely on it almost exclusively. I got in a huge fight with a ton of zombies and somehow, I did something, and the "f" key no longer works to target things. It says it's bound to f still, but f just does nothing at all, no message on the right or anything. I tried unbinding it and rebinding it, but it says it's still bound even though it says unbound. I tried assigning a global bind for it but it gives the same cannot bind, remove the local bind first error. The crossbow is in two vertical green stripes condition still and it's loaded, I have tried unloading it and reloading it a few times as well as trying a loaded gun as well and nothing.

I tried creating a brand new world and the f key works fine for that character, so I have no clue what's going on.

Any ideas? I got through my first whole season for the first time this game,

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

dylguy90 posted:

My only thought is maybe you're using a gun that only does burst fire? Burst and single shot fire are two different keys iirc

Using a crossbow. Switched to a glock just to be sure it wasn't just the crossbow, but neither of them work. I've used the crossbow for 99% of the game so far.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

acidia posted:

I've never used it but I think there is a key to switch between melee and fire modes for a weapon. If you hit that by accident it may be trying to let you use a bayonet attachment for a ranged melee attack. Debug in a bayonet, attach it to a gun and see if you get bayonet mode when you hit 'f'.

EDIT:
Top right of the screen should say: "crossbow (1/1) (manual)"
If it doesn't you should hit shift+'f' until it does then try firing a shot.

That worked! You are my hero! I tried everything I could think of. Apparently in the heat of the battle against the giant zombie swarm outside of the city, I must have accidentally held shift while I tried to fire my Crossbow. I did have a bayonet on my crossbow already, so that's what did it.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

That is exactly what happened. I wish I would have thought of throwing the crossbow at that last zombie though!

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Anticheese posted:

It was either the D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder writers who decided that a wrist-strap could never help you secure a weapon because one of the writers tied a mouse cord around their wrist and whirled it around for a bit.

Nerds are terrible when it comes to "realism" but the Cataclysm devs are an interesting break on that because they actively hate magic (bionics) too.

I played in a game of the Warhammer RPG and I played a halfling but I rolled very high on strength, so he ended up being as strong as the humans in the game (strength value of 3, most halflings have a 2 or even a 1 if they roll poorly) We got into a bar fight and I wanted to hit someone with a chair but the GM told me I couldn't because my little halfling wouldn't be able to lift a chair due to him being a halfling. I asked him if one of the human party members could do it and he said yes. Even though we all had the same strength. Sometimes the people running things just have weird preconceived notions and decide to make a game less fun because of it, it's strange.

That said, I've only been playing for a couple of weeks, so I have needed the lifting tools the whole time so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but I can imagine if I'd played this for years without it, suddenly needing it would be a bit aggravating.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

They added base building to the game! I want to build a base but my current game world was generated with no NPCs. Time to start over I guess. I just survived my first encounter with a shocker brute too (it hurt, a lot) and then led a skeletal juggernaut into a minefield. I tried to lead the shocker brute into it too, but man, those guys are fast! I survived with less than a bar in every location, but nothing broken surprisingly.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Marenghi posted:

In what way have they added base building. Construction has existed a long time already

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/24040

A player and NPC collab base that you complete and upgrade over time with NPC help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I turned off needs in my game. In my mind, they are also survivors, if they lasted this long then they know how to find their own food/water without my help. I imagine they run off to collect it while I'm out scavenging and exploring, or while I am sleeping.