Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
I've been raiding my first lab, and I've found fucktons of bionics. I successfully installed a Power Storage CBM (4% failure), but everything else has a failure rate of 17%+, which seems like a bad gamble. I have 11 int and 6 skill in electronics, first aid, and mechanics.

I've raided 2 libraries (and there are no mansions so far), but I haven't found anything to advance any of those skills further. I'm not sure I can do much about my Int, either. I have the Addictive Personality trait. Is it worth doing meth even once? Is there a good way to exercise electronics from 6?

I'm also not sure what I should do about power supply. I have ethanol burner, battery system, internal furnace, solar panels, and joint torsion racket. The wiki implies that there's no limit to the number of bionics you can install, apart from having issues with letter assignments. Does that only apply to active mods? Is there any reason I shouldn't immediately install every power storage CBM I find?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
The charcoal isn't actually produced until you 'e'xamine the kiln. If it's done, a pile of charcoal will appear on the kiln tile. If not, it will tell you how much longer until it's ready.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
If you don't have a wristwatch or similar, they let you know the exact time, and I believe they additionally tell you the phase of the moon.

Beyond that, you can use them as a roughly (exactly?) candle-level light source.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

I was just wandering around looking for ready -to-go plank stacks like at Lowes or something
Well there are lumber yards which are pretty much that.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

I have at least two tombstones reading "died while screaming nonstop at a moose" that will remind you this is not a guaranteed thing. Sometimes they don't give a gently caress.
For what it's worth, in one of Vormithrax's more recent video, he commented that he didn't think shouting scared moose anymore.

On the up side, they won't spontaneously aggro on the player anymore unless it's mating season (late(?) fall). If something else attacks them, though, moose IFF leaves much to be desired.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

I have a comfortable bed with pillow+blanket and no noises or disturbances btw.
You might have just been abbreviating, but in case you meant literally "pillow" and "blanket", the down-filled varieties are better at helping you sleep. Mechanically, the bed and bedding qualities essentially add bonus tiredness to your character.

I guess you could try sprinting around some during the day to add activity. I have no idea how much it would take, though. It's a very opaque game.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Carcer posted:

I think the gist of it was that aim time is mostly down to the "size" of the gun, with the intent being that smaller guns are naturally quicker to aim.
Pretty much.

Although granted I don't know anything about guns IRL...

My intuition is that this isn't quite an (urk) realistic model for aiming. Lighter weapons are probably faster for course aiming, but I'd wager it's easier to hold your aim steady with a heftier gun. That extra inertia should dampen the little micro-movements of your hands. The hold-to-aim mechanism could reflect that if they wanted to. I.e. pistols get an initial course aiming faster, but never really settle down to precise hits, while a rifle takes slightly longer to acquire it's course aim, but rapidly hones in on a fine aim after that.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Is it really 12.5%? Because I've climbed a lot of drainpipes on experimental and only fallen once. And that was when I was overburdened.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
I'm trying to get back into this game after several years, and I never really got that far with it before. I keep hitting this point fairly early on where I just feel really unsure of wtf I'm doing and what my priorities should be.

It's pretty easy for me to just take over some house at the edge of town with a basement that has a furnace and use that for my initial base of operations. That solves water, and I can night raid to keep myself rolling in food. I understand the recipe system well enough that I can easily identify what things I can I quickly make to level up skills, but this is kind of where I hit the awkward valley.

At this point, I could just dig in and not leave my base for days while I work on skilling up, setting up a butchery station, charcoal kiln, smoking racks, etc. but I'm concerned that the zombie evolution is going to severely outpace me if I do that. I'm frequently seeing evolved zombies -- mostly slavering biters and feral runners -- as early as day 3 on default settings. I've even encountered a day 4-5 dissoluted devourer (what is this an upgrade to, anyway?).

I feel like I lack a good schedule of objectives. I.e. what kind of items/equipment/skills to aim for by the end of week 1, week 2, etc. Youtube isn't much help. The existing tutorial series are way out of date and a little too nuts-and-bolts, babby's first CDDA, besides. Meanwhile the contemporaries who really know their stuff only produce series that are either heavily modded or some kind of crazy challenge play with wacky restrictions and starting conditions. I totally understand that and I'm not knocking it; it just happens to be less than helpful for my purposes. I'd really kill for a basic LP by an experienced player on 0.E or experimental with nothing more exotic than just aftershock in play.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Sorry, I meant feral hunters, not runners.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Palcontent posted:

Smartphones [...] double as an mp3 player
:aaaaa:
How did I not know this?

Does it make noise, or do you conjure earbuds when you use it?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
Lots of clothing items are made from leather and can be butchered for it. If you're real desperate, you can even wash the filthy leather stuff that zombies drop and butcher that.

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

esquilax posted:

I had no idea about this and it completely changes the game for me
Same. I am so tired of being asked if I really want to step in the blueberry bush. The answer was "no" the last 100x you asked me this, game. What makes you think it's going to be different now?

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008
They're no longer described as experimental and are on by default, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stathol
Jun 28, 2008

Dareon posted:

So since someone mentioned AV problems with the launcher, I have a similar problem. My launcher needs to be run as administrator, asks me if I really truly want to run this program I double-clicked on, and when I try to unobsolete a mod, tells me I don't have permission to save the file and should consult an administrator.
I know this was a few pages back, but if you're still looking for an answer:

Where is the launcher, and/or where is it downloading the game files to? If either of those things is in your "Program Files" folder (or the x86 variant), you're going to have a bad time. Those are both subject to User Account Control (UAC) rules above and beyond the file permissions. You need to be elevated to modify/create there, but double-clicking on a file to automatically launch an associated program doesn't give you that option. So if you want to edit one of the files, you'll instead have to run your text editor as administrator, and then open the file from within the text editor.