Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

So does anyone know how to get into the locked fuel storage containers that spawn at some gas stations and the like? Because I have no idea if that’s possible or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Anyone else have some very unusual or unfortunate map-gen with the more recent builds?

I've tried starting runs five times today and yesterday, and three had to be aborted because it uh... went weird?

-One was a horse farm 'safe place' start, an 'easy' start because it had been a while. And the farm was... on a chunk of island. Like the entrance faces the river banks with no road, and going around the back the land just ended.

-A second horse farm start got turbo-hosed by those random alterations to the map. Nothing like a four-by-four location having a Portal In, a wasp nest, a radioactive crater in the barn, and dead scientists so a Migo was around.

-Starting at an evac shelter, I went around for a while just looting and running around (because I found a working mountain bike real fast). Found a mall and chanced going in, got to the roof and looked around... and I was on another loving island. One that honestly looked like an RTS map or something, because on this small island were two malls on either end, surrounded with a couple square blocks of homes and shops, with a forest going through the middle and the evac shelter right in the middle. (The best part was I went looking around, not a boat to be found despite there being like six docks and the new malls having weird vehicle stores that usually have boats).

(The other two runs got ended by the usual rushing buffoonery or hilarious luck. Did you know that there are zombie tigers? Because there are zombie tigers and they have *no* problems having some spawn near where you start.)

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Cruise ship start? That new? How do you get it if you know off hand?

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Telsa Cola posted:

If you would like I can link the mod pack I am running, you basically just have to drop it into your mod folder and you can pick and choose what you want.

Yes please. I tried tracking it down but google is failing me.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Telsa Cola posted:

No worries, I looked myself and couldn't find it, Im 80% certain it's from a discord.

For CDDA: https://github.com/Kenan2000/CDDA-Kenan-Modpack

For BN: https://github.com/Kenan2000/Bright-Nights-Kenan-Mod-Pack

Thanks!

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

I gotta ask, is there a reason to use that NPC Survivor Camp option that I'm missing?

Because while it's nice to have the ability to automate some of the tedium of the game, it's less nice to spend several months building the place (and raiding a few lumber mills and home improvement stores to do so).

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Tin Tim posted:

Not quite what I'm looking for in regards to god mode but thanks! I guess I can abuse the kill command to just delete mobs when I can't deal

Assuming the latest versions, go to your debug menu, then go to the 'Player' menu and then 'Mutate.' Press '/' to initiate a search and type in 'debug.' This will give you a lot of options for debug mutations/traits. I've tested some out to see what they're about.

'Debug Very Strong Back' *used* to set it so your max carry weight was something obscene, and I think it also gave you a lot of storage volume as well. Right now, it appears broken and I recall it being broken for the last year at least. If you want to get something approximating it, go to 'spawn item' and search 'debug' again for the pocket dimension (which I also recommend if you want to ignore the backpack volume BS entirely). As for extra carry weight, the only 'workaround' I know of is going back to the 'Player' menu, going to 'Edit Player/NPC' and selecting yourself, then setting your strength stat to something obscene. Of course this also means that accidentally running into a monster, animal, or NPC will likely gib it if you hit them.

'Debug Night Vision' seems to give you a radius of normal vision even if it is dark. Please note, this does not allow you to read or do other activities which require a light source. Now, I'm not sure if it is this or the next one (Debug Clairvoyance) that grants you the map, so I'm putting it here. One of those debug traits basically grants you the entire map for both viewing and teleporting, without having to permanently reveal it. It could be useful if you're otherwise not cheating, but wanted to start somewhere not allowed by the starting scenarios by searching and teleporting. You won't reveal any place on your map that you don't visit first, so it'd be relatively easy to turn this on, find your military bunker or necropolis or whatever, teleport there, then shut the cheats down.

'Debug Clairvoyance' gives you a radius of I think six to eight tiles where you can see through walls. Kind of useful for labs and the like. Make sure to turn it off if you're in a safe but surrounded area and want to read or whatever. As above, it may also be the 'auto-map' feature. I've never tested them not together, out of laziness.

'Debug Clairvoyance Super' is obscene. Not only is it clairvoyance (and night vision, if enabled) for full visual radius, but you can also see different Z-levels monsters. That being said, this also seems to lag the game slightly while active. I'm not a fan of this one even when I'm doing cheaty runs to look into or test stuff.

'Debug Invisibility' is about as it sounds. Nothing detects you visually and it's pretty nice to pop this on if you either have a Lab (bottom floor) start (to avoid the usual instant kill turrets/robots) or if the game pulls some bullshit (like the multiple times I've been unlucky enough to use a military ID card in a bunker and the turrets *remain* active). I'm not sure if enemies can still eventually target you with just this on.

'Debug Life Support' is... I'm not sure. It seems like it should make it so your hunger, thirst, and possibly sleep shouldn't change. It doesn't do any of that. Nor does it take care of oxygen problems. I recall it being like this in older versions too, so... I don't know.

'Debug Deodorizer' and 'Debug Silent Walk' take care of the other things that help you remain invisible. I'm not sure if the system still works but supposedly zombies 'random' movement is influenced by a smell stat or state, where if you linger in an area your smell picks up or whatever. 'Silent Walk,' meanwhile, removes most player noise. I think gunfire and thrown objects and deliberate noisemaking is fine, but running around or beaning a zombie with a 2x4 won't meaningfully increase noise to attract nearby zombies.

'Debug HVAC' seems to make your character immune or resistant to temperature issues. I'm not entirely sure this works, mainly because I've gotten to the point that I always turn on 'Cryoadaptation' and 'Alpine Conditioning' in the mutations/traits menus, because the developers seem to think I'll freeze to death at 50 F despite being fully dressed and that annoys me.

'Debug Invincibility' seems to be what you're looking for regarding God Mode. Nothing can damage you (though it can still hit you and I think inflict stuff like knockdown), and I'm pretty sure that includes your clothes. Either that, or I'm absurdly lucky when I do something stupid like face-tank a burst of .50 Cal Turret fire and don't lose clothes.

'Debug Hammerspace' is *very* interesting. This basically just shuts crafting requirements off completely, minus 'light' because apparently the game still doesn't want me building a sewer tank without a flashlight even when I'm cheating. You can pop open any of your crafting menus and just immediately start making GBS threads out clothes, constructions, and even clicking on vehicles to add or replace parts almost instantly. (Note: if you want to scratch build a vehicle this way, turn the trait off and spawn whatever starting frame you want to use. Start your vehicle construction with that frame, *then* turn the cheat back on. If you try to do this with the cheat on it does nothing.)

I haven't tested the other debug cheats much if at all. 'Crafting Virtuoso' looks to be new and claims to shut off chances of crafting failure. Neat, I guess. 'Mind Control' I've never used, but I suspect it either makes all NPCs friendly, gives you 100% chances with dialogue options with NPCs, or both. And the Bionic Debugs I've never really toyed with.

OTHER FUN DEBUG MENU THINGS:
-You can add proficiencies to yourself now. 'Player' to 'Edit Player/NPC,' then 'Edit Proficiencies.' This is pretty useful for certain things, like playing one of the mod military classes and adding the ubiquitous 'Principles of Gunsmithing' or whatever proficiency that almost all military have. You can also give yourself 'Lockpicking' so it doesn't take you a full day and twenty improvised lockpicks to pick your way through a door as a starting character with 0-1 Devices skill.
-Speaking of Edit Player, if you edit stats and want to go back to normal (and are using the 'Stats from Skills' or 'Stats from Kills' mods), make sure to set it back to your initial set. Like if you started with 12 strength, go back to that. Not sure how bionics/mutations work with that though.
-While it's a bit hard to parse, you can also use Edit Player to adjust your health, food and water and sleep needs, pain, and so on. If you adjust weight, I believe 'Normal' weight is in the 30000 to 50000 calorie range, and starting players in the 'Overweight' category have around 70000 calories.
-Spawning NPCs is a bit of a crapshoot, because NPCs are invariably a crap shoot. While they've gotten mildly better about it, I recall in older builds of spawning an NPC and it immediately being the 'DROP EVERYTHING AND LEAVE' bandit types. That being said, these NPCs are not auto-friendly, even if it does seem like they no longer spawn the bandits.
-Spawning Monsters can be interesting. You can make them friendly by clicking 'F' I think and adjust mob size. I kind of enjoy going to the bandit overrun apartment complexes and dropping a lot of horrible monsters inside, while watching invisibly.
-The Game menu has two very nice features. The first is 'Enable Achievements' if you care about that sort of thing, like if you're using the debug menu for those minor adjustments or to get out of a bullshit hole or something. The second is 'Quit Game Without Saving.' When you know a run is in the toilet or whatever and want to restart, why wait for the saving time to quit out?

EDIT: Some clarification about 'Hammerspace.'

-Using 'Hammerspace' for construction/crafting will still get you skill growth for at least vehicle modding, and I'm assuming other construction stuff, if you're worried about that.
-For doing that NPC Survivor Base stuff, Hammerspace removes *some* of the BS for it. You don't have material requirements at least. But you still need to set up the required material and food zones. You still need an NPC for it with the required skill levels. And you still need to feed that NPC. But it removes the rather large materials requirements, and removes the time requirements.

Mountain Lightning fucked around with this message at 00:33 on May 2, 2021

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Sometimes your starting location is nasty, either from bad luck or sloppy map generation.

Like one time I ended up (using the ‘safe place’ scenario) in a horse farm on this little isolated chunk of land. Like I think it was supposed to be coastal but thanks to being at the edge of the map chunk the adjacent chunk was more lake. If that wasn’t bad enough, there was absolutely nothing useful there, with the added ‘fun’ of a ‘dead scientists’ spawn (with the Migo present and dangerous) and a portal with a Flaming Eye that would almost certainly blind me and/or fungus me. I saw all that and just reset, because wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

I wasn't aware Eyes didn't do that poo poo anymore. I usually either avoid them the second I see a portal in the area on my minimap, or only engage with something that's guaranteed to one shot them, like a fifty-cal or something.

Speaking of: assuming anyone does do an updated 'newbie guide' or whatever, I highly recommend going into the options and turning on all the Autonote options. For whatever reason most recent builds don't do that, but it's very helpful since it will allow you to pick out semi-distant things like 'Dead Scientists/Soldiers' or 'Oh gently caress there's a portal here better leave that area alone.'